Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Man I had forgotten how good Dad of War is, it just ticks all the boxes for me. Amazing 3rd person melee combat, looks spectacular (at 60fps with the new patch it's up there with the best looking games of all time), lots of exploration, its just amazing. Can't wait for the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

The DualSense charger doesn't actually exist, does it? :v:

I still can't find it...even during the drop at PS Direct, Best Buy doesn't have it anywhere near me...this is insane.

I'm in the UK, impossible to find here too. Ended up buying one off a dodgy scalper, had to meet him in town and he said 'I'm the guy with 3 dogs near the post office'. Charging station is great though.

Playing through Ys IX, enjoying it so far but what's up with the camera? If you run over a slight change in elevation, the camera seems to jerk upward, it's very annoying. And trying to point the camera up (which is quite common considering the amount of verticality in this game) often makes it flail around. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to it. Fun game though!

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I stopped playing Subnautica for some reason on the PS4, how is the PS5 version? I'm super sensitive to framerate unfortunately so if its improved I might start it up again.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

The actual ps5 version is forthcoming around the time of the sequels launch right?

Did not know that, thanks! I mean I'm in the middle of like 8 games so I'm sure I can wait.

Not sure what to do about yakuza 7 - I love it but I started on PS4, not realising saves wouldn't transfer to PS5. Not sure if I can be arsed to do it all over again, I'm like 50 hours in. Massive first world problems.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Cicero posted:

I picked up A Hat in Time to play with my son and holy poo poo the local coop is terrible, like really loving bad. Sucks, because the rest of the game seems charming and great.

If you're looking for a game to play couch co op with your son, I've just started It Takes Two and it's absolutely amazing. Like Miyamoto levels of fun. Bit of a weird dynamic considering the 2 characters represent a husband and wife mid divorce, but the game itself is really good.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Can you play it alone like brothers atots or does it require 2 like a way out and as its title would lead one to believe

It requires two to play. It does have that friend pass thing, so you can play online with another person and they get it free. Not sure on the specifics, I've only played in couch co op.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
After so many games with heavy, realistic controlling player characters, Returnal is absolutely a game-rear end game that just feels amazing to play. gently caress realistic animations, bopping around everywhere at warp speed is where it's at.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
If you're having trouble with crashes in Returnal, it also seems that skipping cutscenes can be a trigger for them.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just from a quick perusal of Reddit, the ps5 Subnautica free upgrade sounds pretty broken? Performance mode is 1080 60fps with lots of screen tearing, quality is 1080 30fps and there isn’t many added effects. Doesn’t make sense maybe it’s broken or something.

Yeah its pretty poo poo, been playing it today. Performance mode is awful, lots of tearing all the time and hugely unstable framerate. Quality is locked 30 but seems to be 1080p and no added graphics effects. Image quality on performance mode actually looks better a lot of the time for some reason.

Extremely disappointed, been waiting to play this since the upgrade was announced. It's also stopped me from buying below zero until I can confirm it doesn't also run like hot garbage.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Ratchet and Clank looks astonishing, Jesus.

I don't think I've been as excited for a game in years as I am for Elden Ring. I don't care if it's derivative, I don't care if technically it looks a little last gen, its gonna be loving amazing.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
It's easy to overlook because of the other big games that have just released, but please don't sleep on Chicory. It's a 2d zelda ish game where you can paint pretty much everything in the world, and it's absolutely lovely.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
After playing through it yet again despite having the platinum, I can confidently say that Sekiro has the best lineup of bosses in any game I've ever played. They're so much fun to fight, the fact that sekiro doesn't use builds etc means the developers can go all out in designing bosses that test you. I don't really think of Sekiro in the same way as Souls and Bloodborne, it's its own thing. 100% my favourite 3rd person melee combat system in any game, and it's not even close.

And yeah like the poster mentioned a little earlier on, Chicory is real fun and chill. Shame it's gonna be a little overlooked with all the big gaming stuff happening at the moment.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I don't post here much but I just want to say that I'm very much looking forward to your playthrough of TLoU2 Videogames. It gets a lot of flak but for me it's far and away the best single player narrative focused game ever made. By a considerable amount. Hope you enjoy, I'd love to be able to play it again with no knowledge of the storyline!

Finally almost done with Persona 5 Royal, and as much as i love the game, man it's long. 110 hours and I've just started the new semester. It's quite an intriguing start, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I did find the stat and confidant system a bit weird compared to vanilla P5; I maxed out all stats by around early November, and all possible confidants by early December. Had quite a few days of just going to the temple and the jazz club. I didn't really min max or anything, apart from using the fortune teller when needed. Still, great game, and can't wait for whatever they do next.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I read some tips for bosses that werent obvious but the game is only play tested for taking it seriously and theres all sorts of lovely geometry to stick a boss like the monk on or simple strings of attacks that stagger the bosses like butterfly or items that truvialize them like the ape or even easy no effort skips like fore the horse back guy and bull.

I mean can't the same be said for most games? Those tricks and stuff aren't super easy to find, and I'd argue that some of them aren't even that easy to actually accomplish (bull skip etc). And unless you're speedrunning, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just want to play with the combat system as designed, it's a lot of fun!

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Lobok posted:

One thing bugging me with Ratchet & Clank is the delay to pull up the weapon wheel and how it seems it's not accessible during every move. For a game built around switching weapons a lot that kinda sucks! Especially when I'm used to playing the same developer's Spider-Man games, which has the same weapon wheel, where it's so responsive that you can actually get fast enough switching that the wheel doesn't appear or appears for only a fraction of a second. I even changed around the controls so that it mimics Miles Morales so I know it's not my inexperience.

You probably know this but there are 4 quick slots for weapons accessible on the dpad. It does seem a bit finicky when remembering assignments tho.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
The Leftovers is in my top 3 all time favourite TV shows, along with the Wire and Twin Peaks.

I got a hard save corruption in Chicory unfortunately, had to delete all my save data and start again. If anyone is playing and wants to avoid it, there's a point in the game where you have to design your own custom brush; once I had designed it and confirmed, my save was corrupted. It auto uploaded to the cloud as well so I couldn't do much about it, so it may be an idea to do a backup cloud save before that point just in case.

I've started again anyway, game is fantastic.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I agree with a lot of SkillUp's reviews but man his TloU2 review was abysmal. Not sure what happened there.

He seems to be banned from Resetera, does anyone know what that's about?

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

acksplode posted:

Just got around to uploading this. Like I said it's my fifth try after four very short attempts, so I'm still panicky and scoping out the arena. The theme of this video is that L1 is the win button. Aso lol @ 1:00 when 5.1 surround sound saves my backside from a runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfNUsXbQ_qk

I love the character quips so much. When Ellie said "got you rear end in a top hat" we were definitely in the same headspace.

Ok gently caress it I'm replaying it, that 60fps looks so good.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I think TLG is perfectly fine but I really wasn’t blown away by it and since I’ve watched more than a handful of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli I didn’t find the story to be particularly interesting nor did I find the ending to be particularly impactful. It’s a beautiful and sweet fable, I’m glad I played through it, but I honestly do not understand the endless cavalcade of accolades goons rain down on this game. Maybe it hits harder if you don’t have any exposure to Eastern myths or something?

I'm not sure what it has to do with Ghibli stuff, the reason I found the story so impactful was that Trico is an utterly singular creation in games. And its something that's only really possible in a game, that slow build of companionship, with the highs and lows that entails. I dont think any game has given the player a relationship to a character like it.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

adhuin posted:

I would mock their previous games, but outside of Stardust-series, I don't even recognize any of the gamenames.

I lied.
Elfmania was a bad amiga fighting game. BOOM.

I mean resogun and nex machina are probably the best modern arcade games

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

eonwe posted:

how does ffxiv feel on a console

are the extreme raids possible

Takes some getting used to and i would recommend getting a Bluetooth keyboard, but it's all totally fine on console. TBH I even use controller when I'm playing on PC these days. All extreme raids etc have been done on console AFAIK.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Anyone else finding Axiom Verge 2 a bit of a step down from the original? Melee combat doesn't feel great, enemies are super annoying, dialogue is riddled with errors, exploration feels aimless. I'll stick with it but first impressions aren't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

chaleski posted:

My Switch is pretty much my designated indie console with the rare exclusive, I think BotW 2 when it comes out in a loving decade is the next and last time I'll be hyped for a Switch game

I thought mine would be too but a lot of the indies I like are platformers and the switch dpad and stick are loving terrible. Really don't like the hardware, and the only exclusive I really enjoyed was Origami King, weirdly. Not a Switch fan at all.