Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

AllisonByProxy posted:

So I preordered from Walmart on Sept 16th, my order page still says:

Arrives by Thu, Nov 12(Package 1 of 1)
Preparing order.........Tracking available soon

Should I be worried? As soon as I preordered there was a pre-auth for the amount on my bank statement for a few days but it dropped off and they haven't charged me for real yet. I was really hoping to get this thing on Thursday...

illcendiary posted:

Same exact boat as you friend (see above). I’m resigned to getting it late at this point, which is fine because it’s just an expensive Warzone/FIFA/Fall Guys/tech demo box at the moment

same :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The DualSense's haptics are legitimately amazing, as are the force-feedback triggers. I honestly can't wait to see some proper PS5 exclusives put them to actual use.

The DualSense is unreal. I’m a big ol dork about ~feel~ and nuanced control, immersion via physicality, manipulating the senses and all that and it’s a dream come true. It’s the coolest thing. I absolutely can’t wait to see more psgoons get their hands on it. It’s one of those things that makes me feel like I’m a kid again being blown away by new technology I got to try at Best Buy back in the day or something, haha. The fact that Sony put so much effort into evolving the way games are directly experienced is something I didn’t consider enough early on when the info was dropping. It’s a design focus (audio stuff too!) that makes me very confident about how the PS5 is going to grow through the years.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

yo should I buy Demon’s Souls? Itching for more action game dualsense fuckery + real good audio and it would be neat to try again. I got it on the ps3 as my first souls game and bounced off so hard that it would be amusing to come back to it now. The screens and gameplay look incredible.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vikar Jerome posted:

yes.

also yakuza 7, or maybe wait for march for the ps5 version that will have dualsense fuckery

I’m so behind on 2020 games thanks to my ps4 croaking ahhh

Gotta try Ghost of Tsushima sometime too. I saw someone say it’s weaboo rdr2 and I fuckin neeeed that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Esco, I don't know what particular conversation transpired or what event happened that made you want to turn around git gud in record time, but you should know that the cycle of miyazaki is an organic river of fated events coursing through our lives, between disparate, haunted, interwoven gaming dimensions.

Veni originally went out of his way to encourage me to play BB, (which I was intrigued by from videos but was more interested in Witcher 3 at the time, I soon dropped W3 for BB and never really looked back)...and subsequently I played DS3, DS, DeS. I think it was sometime in 2016 when a skinny malnourished urchin wandered into The Last Guardian thread and was like 'hey what's poppin gramps, do you know of any games that will give me feels like I got from TLG?" And I told him to play Ueda's other games, and then maybe give the bloodsouls games a try because the dude who made them was profoundly influenced by Ueda, and then I went forth to crusade for powerful shitposts in the holy land of the PS4 thread. But BEHOLD, that starving urchin became a strapping acolyte and began to proselytize on behalf hidetaka, typing out huge, unbroken, intricate and breathless paragraphs of game analysis, spreading the good word of git gud in so humble a manner that he was soon taken up by the shitpost community as 'forums urchin imhotep, the catbird seat', and his earnest sensibility and good nature germinated through and among the posts into a thousand blossoming bloodsouls fans. And Veni's original sin was but an elysian whisper upon the covid fartclouds of computer-touchers everywhere, and many got gud, found eyes inside, engaged in jolly co-operation, feared the old blood, fetched murky mushy brain fluid plip plop splish splash, overcame hesitation, and were granted strength so the world might be mended, so the world might be mended. And yet, if you listen carefully in the evening during a paleblood moon, some say you can still hear a faint whispered shitposting groan on the breeze...

I came, I came, I came

this is how you get me to buy DeS

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

Lotta bad cowboys itt

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vikar Jerome posted:

rdr2 owns and all the stuff people complain about it are features and i hope rdr3 has them and more.

wish I could h5 good posts like this irl and then we could go have beers together at the Good Opinion Saloon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

KD what's up have you beaten Bloodborne yet? Because if not I know some goons who want to have a talk with you

Nah dog my fuckin ps4 died and took my save with it somehow I think :( I was at the very end!!! I should poke around the cloud saves though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Crows Turn Off posted:

Features can be bad. Just because it's supposed to be that way doesn't mean it is good and free from criticism.

Sure but plenty of people love rdr2 for those exact things too.

Several of your fellow comrades have gotten very very gud recently

Seeing Esco’s gudening is a beautiful thing. Can’t say I expected that. I’m considering DeS but also not. Can’t really decide if it’s something I want at the moment or not. Looks gorgeous though :aaa:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

Bloodborne is my most-played PS game now at 129 hours despite only getting into it in August lmao

You should effort post your feelings on the whole experience sometime (if you want). I love when people finally get into stuff they bounce off of over and over. Some people assume it’s stressful or something but I always try to do that with games, music whatever. Always something good behind those “aaahhhhh NOT FOR ME” roadblocks.

I guess I’m nearly there with soulsbornes. Maybe not quite at your point but I was at the very end of Bloodborne and that’s way better than the old days of me failing the first hour or two over and over somehow lol.

They’re good games. Gonna be hard to resist DeS while I keep hearing similar stories of people finally getting through that franchise barrier!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Necrothatcher posted:

I was so sceptical about the activity cards on the dashboard, but I'm totally converted. Having 10 mins and being able to instantly zip from the home screen straight to the start of a quick Miles Morales challenge is a game-changer.

I have this stupid thing (diagnosed ocd and anxiety lmao) about not trusting games to load right, even when hitting a continue button, so I always go old school and push through menus until I can manually select my save and whatnot. I think I need to break that habit this gen and start using those activity cards whenever I can. It’s a really neat feature. So far one of my absolute favorite things about the PS5 is that it respects my time and desire to spend it playing games vs not playing games in a way no console really has before. It is a very immediate combination of hardware and software.

I don’t have a hectic schedule or kids or anything and I still find that it’s so much easier to take like a half hour to pop in and look around the ps store and then boot up a game for a bit. In a few years I think we will look at long loading times as an extremely dated thing that we can’t even imagine we dealt with during the ps4 era.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I really love

the PS5

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

2020 started with me being a bit burned out on a lot of games. Then my PS4 died when I needed it most and I kinda lost interest in the gaming world throughout the summer. I managed to grab a PS5 preorder and have been playing... mostly PS4 games lmao. Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 are taking up most of the time. I loving love these games, even with the bugs in the latter. I haven’t been thoroughly blown away by much in the open world space since RDR2 but these two really do it for me while going for totally different approaches. They’re a perfect 1-2 punch cap to this dumb bizarre year.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CharlestheHammer posted:

Do you think others are lying about theirs? Because that’s the only way this makes sense unless you aren’t following this at all which I doubt as it’s dominated the thread and will dominate the thread for the future.

I mean I know eventually we will hit the point of well I never have any problems do are they real? But I assume it would take longer

Did you even read the original post you quoted? They stated their experience and asked a question. They were not “trying” anything, stop assuming goons are out to pull one over on you or something.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Necrothatcher posted:

Kind of a random question, but what it is about Cyberpunk that makes it need so much grunt to run? I mean, it's an open-world FPS game - I'd have thought the majority of the technical hurdles in that genre were long solved. Is there some big leap in tech that means it can't be scaled down properly or is it just badly put together. Or both?

Both. It’s an absolutely gorgeous game and has the most expansive and detailed game city I’ve ever seen. It was never going to be able to run with all the bells and whistles on older hardware but it can/should/will eventually run far better than it does now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m not sure what it says about me or my taste but oh man I am so ready to jump into 2077 and see what this patch did! I’m excited to see if the lighting is improved. It’s gorgeous when it’s right.

It’s like once every 10 years I need a big deal busted piece of poo poo open world rpg to make everything right in my life :unsmith:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Even my 30fps+gRaPhIcS loving rear end is having a hard time now that I’ve witnessed 60fps 4k a bunch :negative:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

withoutclass posted:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

These!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:yikes:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sharks and oceans and open world games are my poo poo. Maneater looks really fun, like one of those mid budget open world rpgs you can just get lost in without holding it to some high tier expectations. Seems real fun to zone out in. Is that accurate? I might install it later.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

It gets repetitive after awhile but the main concept is amusing, and elicited a few sensible chuckles from me over its 10-hour runtime.

Yeah that works for me! Solid length too. I’m a big fan of shorter open world romps. We don’t get enough of those.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah that was 100% something I didn’t know before but oh well it is what it is :smith: I’ll have to get around to TLOU2 this year anyway. PS4 dying around the release really killed my hype and I haven’t felt like grabbing it yet. Sounds like my sort of game though. RDR2 granular game design bullshit :gizz:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah I mean it's nice to remain unspoiled but I don't want to be one of those losers who whine about spoilers. Besides, if a thing is ruined due to spoilers then it probably wasn't very good to begin with.

It has nothing to do with a thing being ruined, it has to do with the player’s experience. Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to make a big deal out of it but I think respecting and encouraging people’s preferences in how they experience art and movies and games is a universally positive thing to do. While it may not mean much to one person, another might have their whole week made by a totally fresh pure of spoilers experience. Again, not a huge deal though just wanted to throw my thoughts in.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lol @ spending my entire morning in Logic with 770s on and then coming in here to see y’all talking about The Good Headphones.

My people itt

:hfive:

Seriously 770s are phenomenal for everything I’ve thrown at them. Really comfy too and I don’t even have the nice velour pads.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I got really into RE7 and spent like 5 hours playing it when I got it and then literally never touched it again. I have no clue why. It was cool even if I normally hate unbeatable enemy hiding and running games. Definitely switches up that formula though for the better. Maybe I’ll restart it before 8 because drat that looks cool. The atmosphere and sound/art design in these games is fantastic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kinda late to this but my getting good @ souls games (by good I mean I almost completed bloodborne before og ps4 death) mostly revolved around me realizing if I leaned into what I’m decent at as a musician I could excel at the systems in the game. There’s a lot of rhythmic/musical mindset stuff going on. Anticipation, learning to move with the flow of the combat while being able to impose your own presence. Knowing the balance of sitting back and reading the room vs jumping in because you’ve built familiarity with the way things works. You have to develop those senses as well as your understanding of the actual rhythms and animations in play. It’s cool. Sure you could say this about quite a few other games or even games in general but from software makes it the foundation.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yo wtf the Immortals Fenyx Rising demo is so much fun even without being able to customize your character and all. I like this game... wasn’t sure that I would. I might have to buy it. It’s really charming and even as a usual AC apologist the combat is noticeably snappier here than something like AC Odyssey. I like that they don’t hide from the BotW influence at all because why bother, it’s Good Gaming. Who cares if it’s not the most original thing in the world if it’s a good time.

Does it hold up throughout the rest of the game pretty well?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

J-Spot posted:

I enjoyed it all the way through getting the platinum. Plenty of it will just be iterations on the same thing but they sprinkle in enough new ideas to keep things interesting. The character upgrade opportunities are pretty satisfying as well if you like feeling like an unstoppable badass by end game.

Sounds good! I’m definitely grabbing this eventually. Most likely when it gets a decent PSN price drop again. It’s probably worth it at $60 for me but I have so much to play as is :aaaaa:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Imhotep posted:

KD, I forgot if you played Control or not but it’s a free PS Plus game this month and I can’t think of a game I’d recommend to you more than Control. Especially since you have a PS5 now and you can turn in ray tracing and 60 FPS, etc,

Played through it around launch and you can be sure I’ll pop in again as soon as the new free version drops :3: I can’t even imagine how nice it’s going to look and play now. It deserved much better than last gen hardware.

Control is so much fun, I’m glad a bunch of people are about to be introduced to it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

dualsense aneros

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Control was mindblowing running like 25 fps at 1080p. I can’t even imagine what it’s going to be like on the right hardware.

I haven’t been following it really but same. Car combat is so much fun and there’s a lot of cool poo poo devs can do with modern physics engines and such. Not quite the same but I’m hoping Wreckfest gets a PS5 update sometime. That’s a solid game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Huh yesterday multiple times I was thinking about Fenyx Rising but kept saying “eh it’ll be on sale tomorrow”. Every time I realized that was based on nothing at all but it continued to pop into my head. I wake up today and the gold edition is $60 and the regular is $35. Not quite the $30 disc price that was linked itt but I will always take a moment to appreciate a little high strangeness.

Is the gold edition worth it? What’s the dlc like?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the info y’all. I think I’ll grab the standard for now. The DLC sounds cool but I’d rather take a little $35 dip now and then add to that later if I want more.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

no health care no protection plan hail satan

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

casnorf owns, having no shame owns, being a big dumb goon owns, living in accordance with your true will and maximizing the inner self while controlling the ego but not pretending to ever actually be able to kill it owns

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RichterIX posted:

Will someone reassure me that, as someone who buys an Ubisoft open world game every few years and then promises to never do it again, Immortals isn't going to be the one that breaks the streak? It's only $30 on Amazon right now and I'm itching all over

Alright here’s the deal, I’m an ubi apologist and I like most of the AC games quite a bit. Immortals is probably my favorite ubisoft game they’ve made in years. It’s focused, the gameplay is very responsive and feels like a “best of” of AC attacks/mechanics. The BotW stuff is done well, doesn’t feel like a cheap knockoff, and the world is interesting and beautiful to explore. Story isn’t the most compelling thing in the world at least around 10 hours in but the characters are charming enough to carry it.

It’s a very solid buy for $30 but make sure to give the demo a go first.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Control really is fantastic when you’re going at it fast and not worrying about reading every single thing. The downside of it is that they’re really good. Definitely don’t skip them first time through if you’re new to it. You don’t need to read every single one though, trust your instincts. Probably some of the best lore/flavor text I’ve seen in a game.

As a quick loading rapid pace sort of game, god it’s even better somehow my second time in. Remedy games feel so good to Control that I don’t even mind the more dull parts, if there really are any.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anime...is good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Casnorf posted:

Not everyone has the emotional capacity to accept that poo poo can be two things. But consciously denying yourself anything because some aspect of it is [insert word here] is gonna leave your world very small indeed.

So you end up either tying yourself in knots to justify having accepted that that aspect sucks but is not the whole of the thing or you decide the whole isn't worth experiencing at all and justify that. I mean you could just feel how you feel and like what you like, I suppose, but then what would internet nerds argue about and reinforce their unwarranted superiority complexes with if not to put down 'the other guy'?

I liked Persona 5, warts, problems, and all. If the idea that teacherfuckin' is a thing that's possible really bothers you enough to be a deal breaker I got some unfortunate news about, uh, the non video games world. See attached reference Sting.

If I could give a post a humble look across the room head nod I would. Maybe even a casual wave. A thumbs up? No too far. Gotta stay cool. A hat tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gooby pls posted:

RDR2 is a snail paced cowboy simulator where every step and action you take is deliberately and slowly executed.

If it clicks for you then it’s one of the most immersive games around. If it doesn’t, then welp.

I loved it and put in almost 200 hours, but the thought of replaying it has never once crossed my mind. I might rethink that if there were a ps5 patch, has there been any talk/rumors of that?

:clint:

:yeah:

I’ve been somewhat itching for a replay though. RDR2 is still one of my few 10/10 games and it’s kind of bonkers how barely anything since has captured me in the same way. The controls and gameplay that some seem to really dislike are a main reason too. It feels so right when you become familiar with it. Nothing controls like RDR2, like god drat it’s so satisfying to just horse around and explore the map and actually get a sense that it’s you+horse+varying environment with very satisfying physics at play. I can’t say I’ve ever felt more ~~~immersion~~~ than that game. From the dialogue, to the setting, the gameplay, the sound design (holy poo poo the sound). I miss it. I’ll be all over a PS5 remake. Playing RDR2 at 60fps sounds mindblowing, I don’t even really care if the graphics are much improved.

lol im back to being a fps dork like the old days