Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hello thread, I just got a PS5 today, and am looking at storage expansion options because I already could not transfer all of my games from my PS4 Pro due to storage limitations.
I've ordered a Samsung T5 2TB external USB SSD for PS4 games, and a Samsung PM9A1 2TB NVMe drive (OEM version of 980 Pro) for internal storage when the 2.0 update drops.

My question is this: When installing PS4 games on the USB drive and playing them from it, do games still gain the enhancements like increased resolution and/or framerates? Or do they need to be ran from internal storage to get the benefits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

They get the benefits (if they have a PS5-specific patch).

Excellent, thank you!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cyberbonk 2077 PS4 is fairly cheap now and I'm considering getting it so I have a cheap way to play the next gen patch when it comes out. But I don't trust CDPR anymore lol. What say you thread?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's a good thing consoles don't have region locks anymore because lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Petting Cerberus is good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anybody know when the new firmware will drop? Sony won't allow me to join the beta :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I still have my original US import on GC lol. I even got the strategy guide with it at the time. And I modded my GC to play imports for this game.
I enjoyed the hell out of that game.

Never played any of the re-releases.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok well I’m enjoying Hades almost too much but I have to say, they lifted a ton of ideas from Returnal. I’m honestly shocked the devs had the time to incorporate so many of Returnal’s original IP into their game since Returnal has only been out a few months, but Hades seems like a much shorter game so I guess. They should fess up though. Really at the end of the day I don’t even know what’s original in Hades? The Greeks?

How so? The concept of roguelites has existed for many years.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I happened to have just purchased The Witness this eve. It's pretty great. It reminds me of firewatch but with less story and way more actual things to do of course.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Veeg is Witnessing for the next six hours what up https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

Playing it myself this very minute, wouldn't want to get spoiled. It's an incredible game.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

negativeneil posted:

I don't even see an option for upgrading my GoT PS4 edition to the PS5 edition for a purported $10. I have no desire to buy up a $20 expansion to a game I barely started playing before I decided to wait until my PS5 arrived. I just want the performance bump and I'll get the expansion later on. Is this upgrade path impossible? All I see is $20 Directors Cut upgrade => $10 PS5 upgrade.

You already get 4k60 upgrade on ps5 on the normal version for free. This is what most games get, back compact plus. If you want the ps5 native version there is only the director's cut and that upgrade isn't free. It's $30 to go from base PS4 to PS5 DC, or $20 to go base PS4 -> DC PS4 and an additional $10 to go from PS4 DC to PS5 DC.

So six of one, half dozen of the other🤷‍♂️

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm really wondering if the PS5 patch for Quake will have ray tracing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Been enjoying the heck out of The Witness. 5 lasers done so far

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I want to watch your streams Videogames but I also don't want to spoil The Witness for myself

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Can anyone who's played the witness tell me if you can finish the other puzzles after you do the one on the mountain? I have enough lasers I think but there are more on the island. Should I do all of them first?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Akuma posted:

Kind of. My memory might but way wrong but if you activate something at the very end - after solving all the puzzles - it resets everything. So you have to get to the end and then walk back out again.

I might be wrong but that's my memory of it.

ymgve posted:

You should have an autosave from right before the end even if you activate the ending

Thanks. I'm gonna try to do all 11 areas first, but my curiosity might get the best of me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I am so much in awe of The Witness, the puzzles are just so very clever. Sure the game is a bit full of itself with all the philosophical wankery but I'm giving them a pass because holy hell if the puzzles aren't incredible in their use of color, environment, perspective, etc. Truly great.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I finished The Witness :toot:

Gorgeous, clever puzzle game, with a hamfisted philosophical message from the ~~Auteur~ trying to be profound but to me only comes off as pretentious. Avery rewarding experience regardless.

I did all 11 areas which was fun, but I'm missing one trophy for platinum still. I think I know what to do though, so I'll load up an older save to see if I can get this game play.

I did also found the secret where he wakes up and walks around but I think there's a third ending too when you plat it? Guess I'll find out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I never played Horizon Zero Dawn much on PS4 Pro (Already past my old save after a couple hours of playing) but I'm enjoying the heck out of it in 60 FPS

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prom candy posted:

If I'm always going to choose 60fps over graphics is it still worth an upgrade to a 4k TV or should I stick with my 1080p TV? Keeping in mind I need at least a 65" because my room is big and I'm not downsizing and also I live in Canada where decent TVs are pretty expensive.

OLED is the best technology and those only come in 4K. Get an LG C9 or CX they have 4K, 120fps, HDMI 2.1 and everything

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm trying the plat The Witness and I have everything but the gauntlet in the caves and it's kicking my rear end a bit. I don't want to have a time limit dammit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

!Klams posted:

...everything else? I couldn't be bothered with that other thing.

Well, I did all 11 areas, but neglected to complete all the obelisks. I don't think you need it for plat.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Very cool and very good. Some prerendered cutscenes are still 30fps but most of the game runs at 60, and I haven’t noticed any drops yet. It’s frickin’ gorgeous.

Same

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DF review of H:ZD patch is out

https://youtu.be/I3Xi8TMUuYk

It's good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ExtraQuiet posted:

apologies in advance if there is a better thread for this, but i have a controller question.

is there any way to 'spoof' a controller using a raspi or something? I want it to automatically press some buttons for me.
basically, when initiated, i want the spoof controller to press X, then R2 ten times, X, wait 23 minutes, press R1, repeat.

(asking for a PS4 but i'll need it on a 5 eventually, if i ever find one)

What are you farming?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Certain individuals in this thread have led me to believe that the PS5 does not have "quick resume" yet when I turn off my PlayStation mid-game, and turn it on again the next day it opens right back into the game where I left off. Have I been mislead by these posters? It sure seems like it it's a resume feature, one that functions quickly.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Games are 70 $/€ now

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Etrips posted:

Sooo a gracious friend gifted me a PS5 and I haven’t owned a console since PS2. I have a disc version, but is there anything that I need to get or upgrade?

A fast USB3 SSD for storing all your PS4 games on, the internal storage is pretty limited.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Broken HDMI ports is a common fault on all consoles so I would err on the side of caution

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Given how Take Two has been cracking down on the GTA3 and Vice City reverse engineering projects lately it seems likely they're working on it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Give me a Micro Machines remaster

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

no one play titanfall 2 for abit
https://twitter.com/respawn/status/1435740468327899139?s=21

effects all platforms

Bugs like that have the potential to provide a jailbreak.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Putting my PS5 in test mode today hoping to receive the update while I'm at work 🙏

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Installed the update, and installed the SSD I've had around for a couple of weeks now.

It's a Samsung PM9A1, which is like the OEM version of the 980 Pro, coupled with the Be Quiet MC1 heatsink. It fits perfectly!

I said come in! posted:

This is the SSD I bought for my PlayStation 5 https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-2tb/p/N82E16820250093?Item=N82E16820250093 in case the discount price doesn't show up, I bought it for $190, which seems like a great deal for a 2TB.

Not only is it way too slow, it's the wrong connection. You need a PCIe 4.0 4x NVMe drive.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There was some confusion about SSD compatibility a couple pages ago. The is only only one hard-and-fast requirement, however: the drive must be a PCIe Gen 4 NVMe.

:words:

All of this is way more complicated than it should've been. At least it's better than having only one proprietary, overpriced option available.

Agreed with all of this.

My personal recommendations are:

Be Quiet MC1 heatsink (mc2 is too thicc but the MC1 fits perfectly)
Samsung PM9A1, single sided 2TB, handily meets the speed requirements.

Funnily enough the hard part was getting a heatsink that fit without having to get a couple from China to try if one fits. There's loads of them on aliexpress and whatever but those are single-sided or they are too thick or they're affixed by rubber bands or something. Not ideal.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Do y'all play it in performance mode or RTX mode?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I want to play deathloop but the online store hosed up my order and now I have nothing. :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a time travel story where you have to literally kill your own grandparents

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

That's putting a spoiler, offroad tires and truck nuts on your baby.

Brb injecting my baby with the vaccine so they grow massive balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The only part that really irritates me in R&C is the voice of the guy that does the weapon descriptions

I think that's the invader zim guy but I might be mistaken