Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

il serpente cosmico posted:

Sucker Punch says we're getting a 60FPS mode in Ghost of Tsushima via ps5 boost mode

Hoping they run a deep discount between now and Nov. 12, was planning on GoT basically being my PS5 launch title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

There's no way any of the retailers are going to guarantee a Launch Day delivery this far out. There's too much volatility between shipping numbers, USPS/Courier fuckery, and Covid-poo poo to have a zillion angry gamers wondering where their Bugsnax is.

Wal-Mart just re-confirmed a Nov. 12 delivery date for me so we'll see I guess

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is resident Evil biohazard just a remaster if the GameCube remake?

It's RE: 7

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Can they only be claimed on PS5 or is it across all accounts?

The announcement describes it as "a new PlayStation Plus benefit for PlayStation 5" but people have different interpretations of that for some reason

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, it's a nice bonus for people signing on for the new system, but I think the people trying to pitch it as some competitor with the Gamepass are going to be disappointed

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

those 15 odd games are all better than every game on gamepass by themselves

Yeah, but it's more or less a pack-in bonus, not an on-demand catalog of games with a rotating selection. It's nice but it just seems like a different thing

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Shammypants posted:

Devil may cry 5, they said reductions of 18 seconds from what they could see. I know it was brought up briefly already but it didn't seem to be at all impressive to anyone. I was genuinely curious why not because that seems pretty good.

For DMC that's a game they took the time to remaster, so just straight BC games probably won't be that dramatic. Still promising for the next-gen games, though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Vietnom nom nom posted:

My moderately cool take is that SSD's are going to be the defining feature of this generation and it has nothing to do with load times (well, a little to do with load times). First party PS5 games are going to be where we see that the most, but only ones that aren't cross-gen (not Horizon: Forbidden West) and designed from the ground up around those capabilities (not Demon's Souls). Really only the new Ratchet & Clank game has given us a view of what it could mean.

My prediction is a lot of early next-gen games will feature flying over quickly changing landscapes or jumping through portals, and then people will get bored of that pretty quick

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

In pretty sure hdr is made up

Source: I got a 4k hdr tv last year halfway through the Mandalorian and it didn't look any different. The color just looked like it had a weird tint

Mandalorian (and Disney+ I’m general) has notoriously lovely HDR implementation, it apparently makes it darker and more washed out

morestuff fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 14, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

univbee posted:

I wonder if there's a test suite for frame rates on PC. I don't think I can tell a difference between 60fps and 144fps, most likely because I'm just too sleep-deprived for my brain to keep up with more frames.

I've tried watching demo videos and can really only tell the difference in slo-mo, but I don't have much of an eye for it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

so what are you all planning to do with your ps4's

Giving it to an unemployed friend

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm not about to make an assertion regarding DF as an outlet, but the video is kinda bad. There's a lot of time spent talking about a console that's not actually the subject of the video being 'a powerhouse', after which they call the PS5 'toyota-like'. Also, the use of the term 'nuclear option' with reference to a cooling situation on a japanese product which is...weird. There was another article about PS5 not a few weeks ago that referred to a UI change on the PS5 as an 'atomic' development or something.

The Toyota thing and "nuclear option" are both compliments in context. In manufacturing circles Toyota is a touchstone for their lean style, and the liquid cooling is a major step Sony took after the PS4 has loud fans and inconsistent cooling

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Maybe Sony should send out some consoles and do more marketing then :shrug:

ding ding ding

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pobrecito posted:

Touching on HDR chat, anyone have any good HDR content recommendations - either games or TV/Movies? I just got an LG CX in anticipation of PS5/XSX after having a trash TV for forever and want to see what it can do.

Pick up a 4K bluray or two if you really want to give it a workout. For streaming maybe try Our Planet on Netflix.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

UI looks fine but there's no real way of knowing until I get my hands on it. Surprised and a little disappointed they didn't highlight a Quick Resume-like feature. At least it looks snappy.

The new party system is more or less exactly how I use it now so that's good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Barudak posted:

Theres no way there isn't quick resume on PS5 given the warning text seems updated.

Seems like it'd be easy to show off in a UI video then! I'm sure there's some similar functionality in there, but like with BC and other features Sony's just confusing everyone with their bad marketing this cycle

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fedule posted:

Well. There's the caveat that I make no claims regarding the X's success with its plan. Maybe they ballsed it up. I'm just saying, if it fails, that's what they're failing at.

What I'm getting at with the desktop comparison is that desktop CPU coolers are built around headroom as a rule, because there are so many CPUs at so many specs that the optimal strategy, both for manufacturers and for builders, is to make sure there's always going to be headroom to lean into, rather than to try and figure out any working definition of how much cooling is "enough".

To be even blunter, I think the X design team thought "how small dare we make it" while the PS5 team thought "how big can we make it".

The details in that nikkei article are also cool as gently caress (lol). I'm never going to say that there's not impressive, innovative tech work going on inside the PS5. I'm just saying it seems to me like everything the PS5 team did was a matter of maximising the amount of cooling stuff they could cram into the form factor, while everythign the X team did was a matter of minimising how much they had to.

In this case it seems like "simpler" is also, probably, better. There's a tradeoff on the size but it also means manufacturing defects and failure rates are likely lower

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Having another tool to fight racism/sexism/abuse is good and I'd love to see it vanish, but it doesn't really solve the main problem since it's still perfectly fine to be a petty dick

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

i dont think it ever will vanish, its a never ending fight. it sucks but theres always gonna be people and groups who hate people who are not like them.

I don't mean in general. But if that stuff gets you banned from an online space, especially when it'll cost you money, you usually see it driven down.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

univbee posted:

Possible about-face incoming.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1317616221580218368?s=20

This might be more for the actual workings of it from the user side, not the surveillance component, it's not clear.

Sony is having a kind of nightmare launch period

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

What's the best-case scenario here? They were using this as a soft launch for the new party system to see how people liked it and they have a more traditional version ready or close to ready? Otherwise they're either rushing to make last-minute changes or the PS5 comes out with an IOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Launching with a busted feature or two is not a huge surprise.

Maybe, but this one seems to have been pretty avoidable

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I also think the divide was more noticeable before people spent 20 years playing FPS games competitively with controllers

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

SONY doesn't need to waste money to try and out advertise Microsoft, as far as everyone that isn't a dedicated Microsoft fan is concerned SONY has already won. I might be insulated because I don't watch TV but PS5 is the console of the holiday season without question, most people aren't even sure what the new XBox is loving called on social media

Not needing to handle the roll-out well doesn’t really change the fact that they don’t seem to be handling the roll-out well though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

It seems that Sony is taking Coke's approach to marketing. Pepsi's ads, when they're not trying to appeal to hip teens, is to directly say they're better than Coke.

Coke's marketing doesn't even acknowledge Pepsi because you don't have to do that when you're on top.

Cokes don’t cost $500

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I use the in-TV app to listen to Spotify sometimes, it's hooked up to the best sound system in my apartment. I truly hate that it doesn't have a visualizer

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

At least everyone has a USB-C cord lying around, I guess

Real hurthling! posted:

3rd party called Platestation 5 is already selling faceplates for 40 dollars a pop (no sets, big rip off)

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-third-party-company-already-selling-custom-faceplates?amp=1

Probably not worth it unless you cant stand the greyish white default ones for a few months until officially licensed ones come out.

It's crazy how much better these look

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lol my PS5 controller will be most often charged on my Nintendo switch dock.

Also I've been trying to look up PS5 content. Weird stuff.

1) 9 times out of 10 in have to dig through reaction videos and weird content farms before I find the actual official Sony video
2) Every Sony "influencer" or Sony specific channel I've found so far sucks rear end or is extremely annoying. Like that controller unboxing posted earlier, I made it about halfway through, it was just so loving haphazard in presentation. There is a real quality gap from what I can tell between Nintendo fan content and PlayStation fan content. Which is bizarre to me because Nintendo loving hates their own fans and takes them down whenever possible while Sony likes and nurtures their fans. Maybe I just haven't found the good Sony content yet. There's a ton of Nintendo content and influencers who are godawful, I just know where the good ones are.

Even the simple stuff is kind of frustrating. “Smart Delivery” is mostly just a marketing term, but you can Google that easily and find an up-to-date list on Microsoft’s site. With the PS you have to search for “free upgrade to PS5” or similar and wade through five gmerzone.biz sites until you find the one that won’t lock you out for using an adblocker, and even then it may or may not be up to date

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don't mind the styling but the white/black/blue color combo is gross.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

PS2 at least has a nice, clean silhouette. PS5 looks like three separate elements jammed together because there's no one dominant color. Four elements, with the LED

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'll be buying burgundy plates the minute a non-scam site is selling them

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

I hate to break it to you but

the PS2 had an overhang, more than one colour (it's not all black lol), a big ol' PS2 on the top side...

like I love that console to death but it wasn't pretty looking

if you're gonna do something stupid like count the LED, the PS2 had three different LED colours lmao

Multiple colors is perfectly fine. In this case the black and white are both equally eye-grabbing and it takes your brain too long to figure out what you're looking at. There's no hierarchy to it

Straight-on the PS2 is pretty brutal, but from a top-down view (the way most people would regularly be looking at it) the overhang looks great. Your eye clocks the shape and color then picks out the smaller details:

Meanwhile the PS5 is pretty ugly from every angle, though I do think the discless version looks better and also looks best from that viewpoint:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rinkles posted:

it has a look. there's beauty in that. sorta.

I'm glad they went for it, but

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

u know it. I think I bought a dvd BEFORE I even had a ps2 with the full expectation that I would soon have a ps2 to play the dvd on. Also DOA2. Also a memory card. The game and the dvd just sat on my shelf for like 5 months until I was able to track a ps2 down.

I bought a few 4k blus when they were on sale like three months ago, they're still in the wrap

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder what PS5 game(s?) we'll get for PS+ in November. Surely they won't consider the PS+ Collection good enough for November.

I'm guessing they just keep adding high-profile PS4 games for the first year or so

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty much every console of the last 40 years has had some kind of hardware revision but as far as I know there's nothing like 4K on the horizon that one would be targeting

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think the PS4 spec got a boost because it was never really premium hardware to begin with. The PS4 was designed to be low cost / easy entry. From day one the biggest deal about it was that it actually had enough ram for smaller devs to play around again and not just AAA studios. PS5 looks like a significantly more relevant technological development imo, a merging of the custom hardware design philosophy of PS3 with the friendly development threshold of PS4. It will absolutely get a revision, but probably just smaller and cheaper rather than added functionality like the Pro.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is planning on doing a refresh halfway through the lifecycle, so they always have a premium $500 model and a budget $300 model. What's now the X replaces the S when that's financially doable, and the new top-of-the-line model replaces the X. Sony might just do their own thing in that situation but I doubt they'd want a competitor having one up on them

There's 8k. There's raytracing with 60fps (currently seems you have to pick one)

It took like 10 years for 4K to really hit mass adoption so I'll be a little surprised if it becomes a thing this generation

morestuff fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 26, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The haptic stuff sounds cool but if it's not supported I'd still rather have the $70 an extra controller costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bad Parenting posted:

In the UK Sky Q lets you download uhd films to their box I think, it's been a couple of years since I cancelled it though so I may be misremembering.

And yeah, I though cyberpunk had gone gold? Are they having trouble shipping physical copies or something?

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1321128432370176002?s=20

They basically thought they could crunch their way through to the Day 1 patch and it wasn't going well