Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I love the changes to the art, but the music has been mostly a downgrade. The armored spider theme sounds like trailer music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Has there been any word on how long games take to install from a disc? Sometimes I feel like replaying some games on PS4 but can't be bothered to wait for an hour while they install.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Where are people ordering their game discs by the way? I haven't seen any of them on Amazon

My local supermarket has preorder cards.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Storm One posted:

Which is why installing to an external HDD is a good idea, even USB2 is at least twice as fast as optical and probably faster than your internet connection.

I've never used an external HDD with a console. If I want to use one with my PS4, will any HDD do? Does it impact performance in any way?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

anothergod posted:

The problem with the nudemons souls aesthetic is that it's a graphical showcase for a game that leaned on art direction.

Like, the original is some beautiful haunting accoustic set and this one is like some exec hired a popstar to make an hyper-produced remake to sell consoles. I initially had overproduced but I still have hope that marketing from 2 weeks before launch isnt final.

At least, it's still mostly going to play the same and it's also going to be fascinating to see the end product, and DS as it was (online and community) is dead, so... This'll still be interesting. Just not the same.

I understand what you're saying, but so far I've only got that vibe from the soundtrack. The art and animations are more faithful to the original than what I expected. And a lot of the artistic changes can be attributed to simply having a lot more screen to fill.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I must be blind because I can never tell if something has ray tracing or not. Then again, the only difference I can see between HDR and SDR is that the screen is a whole lot brighter.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I have a 4k TV that doesn't have HDMI 2.1. Is this going to affect how games look on it?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Have they confirmed whether you can play PS4 discs on PS5 or are we stuck with PSN?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
That shot of 3-2 in the end. :darksouls:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I just set up my PS5 and I copied my old PS4 games to it. Now I have a 169gb folder on storage labelled 'other'. So I tried to play SotC (I had the downloadable version on my PS4) and it says I have to download it? So what's the point of transfering and that huge folder?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I went to data transfer again and it says that it is transferring data in the background. Where can I see the progress? And where the downloads/uploads screen?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is ray tracing borked in DMC5? I turned it on, started mission 2 and I can't see Nero's reflection on the shop windows. I took screenshots and they look exactly the same.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm playing on the standard modes with high framerate off. I can see the image quality changing as soon as I leave the graphics menu, but no reflections. Could it be because I toggled turbo on?
Edit: yup, that fixed it

Spermando fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 12, 2020

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is it safe to charge the controller by plugging it to a laptop or a phone charger?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Does Immortals run at 30 fps on PS5 or was the update not properly installed?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Does anyone else's disc drive make a ton of noise when reading discs produced by Sega?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
In TLOU2 there are quite a few cutscenes with instant scenery transitions. I imagine on PS4 those are prerrendered, but now that the PS5 patch is out all of those cutscenes are 60 fps. They can't have re-rendered all of those cutscenes otherwise the patch would have been much larger, so how did they do it?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Oh, I guess that would explain why you get a long loading screen if you skip them

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

DQ's music is both bad and there's only like 10 songs so you hear the same one for hours on end

Apparently the composer, who is openly racist and homophobic, has some contractual privileges that allow him to have full control of the music and its quality.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know how you would do a juggle-based beat em up when the main weapon cuts through anything it touches. Maybe a Musou or something.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Trial and error plus skills that you will get over the course of the game that will give you a random chance of pinpointing an enemy's weakness.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

mA posted:

Is there anyone else who prefers the Graphics mode on FF7 Intergrade? While performance mode looks great, there's something about the extra visual crispness of native 4k that I can't let go of. Also I find 30 FPS more than playable for this kind of game.

How exactly is 30 fps more playable? Does the juddering make you react better?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Nvm, my eyesight is 30 fps.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Policenaut posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_jp/status/1422210580887359493

Sony what the gently caress Keichiro Toyama quit what are you doing

EDIT: Oh I see it's a meme PlayStation Japan does every year or something. Should have figured. Alas.

It's a shame that franchise never took off. We got lucky in Europe and got the second game, which fixed a lot of the problems people had with the first, but it was too late I guess.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm trying to play the DLC they just released for Mortal Shell, but it's grayed out in the menu. Did I forget to do something?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I have, it said "added to the library" but it didn't download anything.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm playing AC Odyssey for the first time, currently on level 12. What are the best DLCs?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

bows1 posted:

I saw many cuts in that GOW trailer, confirmed not one take.

Thank Christ because what even was the point.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
At this point I'm willing to believe they're making a new version with a new graphics engine like Shadow of the Colossus.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

"I'm happy that you made the cinematography less interesting by sticking to a gimmick that doesn't really add anything."

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
All I think about when they try to do long takes in games is camera operators moving around the actors wearing mocap suits. You could argue that it works in MGSV because you could imagine you're a soldier walking around Mother Base, but in this game? They're on their own and also the story is very episodic, like that part where Atreus metabolizes his teenage rage in five minutes.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Because you actually go on the entire quest with Kratos and Atreus that way. You are literally present for every single step from their tiny cottage and it’s funeral pyre in the woods to every corner of the 5/9 realms and every step home. It’s a storytelling technique that is unique to video games, and I think it really did add to the epic weight of the story.

IGN also confirms that all 9 realms will be visitable this time around.

So every story that talks about a journey should be done in one take? If anything all this accomplishes is make the journey feel like a hike. The Lord of the Rings uses tons of short takes in different settings to make you feel like they're on a long journey.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but there's a useful distinction to be made between narrative ellipsis and using multiple cuts and angles. I think both would benefit GoW '18, though.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Blood Dragon can be beat in a few hours and doesn't have endless extraneous side activities.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Have there been any reports from beta users about the 3D audio thing? :magemage:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

JordanKai posted:

It is, but they already showed the trailer for the best game so everyone tuned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwGyD4ktGEo

how is this franchise still alive

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/ScriptLeaksR6/status/1568242227511451649
Happy to see they're going back to the style of the only Assassin's Creed with an assassin and a decent script.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
If you believe the leaks, they're getting rid of the RPG systems, plus some other things that make it sound like it will be a big departure from Valhalla.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

I can't believe you committed suicide. I cannot believe you committed suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Speaking of bad voice acting and live action video game cutscenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YID16FZ_n6g

Wesker sounds like he could still voice himself.