Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was somehow able to snag a ps5 yesterday after the gpu Twitch stream I was sitting in mentioned there was a drop. I haven’t owned a non-Nintendo console since the ps2. Time to figure out what games I’m gonna buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My ps5 is not the digital only version. I assume they still sell physical copies of the games, is there any reason to buy those or is most game data still getting downloaded to the hard drive?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gutcruncher posted:

If you have a data cap, even if lots of data is still downloaded from the internet that’s still a significant chunk that isn’t counting against you, especially since the internal storage is so small you’ll be deleting and reinstalling over time, so every GB saved counts.

Installing the data off the disc will be faster than a download

Disc games can save a lot of money from sales and buying used, and when a game is de-listed from PSN you’ll still be able to buy the disc version.

Thanks for the replies. I do have unlimited gigabit internet but will definitely be grabbing some physical copies.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Woke up just now to an email saying it’s ready to be picked up a day early.

Mine is scheduled for Thursday, I'd love to get it today since it's my weekend and all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Heading to BB to pick up my PS5 now!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What's with this repairing console storage poo poo that my PS5 does when waking up from sleep?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

Do you have an external drive that's only powered by usb, or do you have any energy saver stuff out a power strip with a switch that a cat can walk on to turn off?

The closest yes to any of this would be a power strip the cats could walk on but there's other stuff plugged into it that would get reset as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

my PS5 is being super weird, it just hates waking up. I think i'm done with Rest Mode unless they address it in a patch or something. Last night my PS5 refused to boot until i powercycled it, the lights would come on but wouldn't send a signal to my television. i feel like i've rebuilt this data storage like 40 times, that can't be good for it, lol

I get this every time with rest mode. I turned it off last night so I’ll see what it does when I get home from work.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Controllers won't charge when the console is off? Why??? :psyduck:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Usb power settings?

It looks like this is only for rest mode. Which mine doesn't like and has to reboot after repairing console memory every time it goes into it. So I just turn it off.

My surge protector has usb ports so that works, but jesus christ.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Monolith. posted:

Dunno where the Demon's Souls thread went so I'll post it here.

Holy poo poo, this game looks unbelievable. Truly, I am in awe of the lad.

I just started Demon's Souls up tonight, and it really is gorgeous.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My ps5 crashes and has to repair memory every time I wake it from rest mode so I don’t use it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Akuma posted:

If you're absolutely positive that your PS5 isn't losing power while in rest mode then your console is defective.

I honestly don't see how it would be losing power.

Aphrodite posted:

Do you play Cold War? Cold War does that.

I've only played Hitman 3 and Demon's Souls. It was doing it with Hitman 3 in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I hadn't tried rest mode for a while but being in it overnight led to a memory restore again this morning. I haven't successfully woken it up from rest mode once. Guess I'll have to call the President of Playstation.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I haven't touched my ps5 in a couple months, anything new out that's worth grabbing? I see some interesting stuff coming out in the next couple weeks at least.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone else getting rainbow effects on rain and plants and stuff on the high resolution mode in ghost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One plus of not touching my ps5 for a few months is that one of the updates in that time seems to have fixed the thing where it wouldn't properly wake up from rest mode.