Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay I want an honest opinion and I figure this is the best place for it:

Right now I have a PS4 Pro that I'm mostly happy with. Is the upgrade to PS5 worth it or should I stick with the Pro for a couple of more years while we're still in the cross-gen game phase and then upgrade to a PS5 (maybe PS5 Pro)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Thanks for the opinions guys, I appreciate it. It sounds like I should probably wait for at least six months for the dust to settle.

That being said, I hope everyone that gets a PS5 over the next few days has a wonderful time! Please post all your opinions and findings on it! All of us non PS5 owners are salivating for content from goons. :)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

What about the PS4 Pro makes you unhappy? If you aren't all-in on the PS5 yet, I suggest waiting.

Playing PS4 games with SSD speeds and occasional frame rate updates are nice, for sure.

The loading gets...annoying, but if I'm being brutally honest beyond loading times I'm not seeing a massive difference between the PS4 Pro and PS5 right now. Which is somewhat expected, as it just released. The base PS4 is reallllllllllllllllllly showing its age, however. If I only had the base model I'd be scrambling for a PS5.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I see a lot of people being very skeptical that developers will properly utilize the dualsense functionality, but I think Astro's Playroom makes such a strong case about what a game changer it could be for just about every kind of game, that it makes me hope that PS users start to demand it. Like, if a game has good or bad DS support, I want to see it mentioned in reviews and be a factor in the outcome of that review. People seem so wildly into it, and I have hope that it becomes a priority in the future.

It really feels like way more than a gimmick. I think it it adds a whole new layer of immersion to the game. It's so much more than the "gun goes boom and the controller shakes" that we are used to or even anything the switch does. You can feel the rain, you can feel the mud, you can make things pop and feel it happening in real time. it's amazing.

Nintendo Switch has the same thing and let me tell you, third party devs have not used it!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

A man can hope.

If Sony could produce an infinite amount of consoles overnight, I wonder how many they would sell in the next few weeks? It feels like everyone with a PS4 is ready to buy one right now.

This post screams first world problems. 500 dollars may be nothing to you but for most people that's a big expense.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

After polling ~couple dozen friends and acquaintances of mine, it sounds like the PS5 is resoundingly more people and in demand. Is this what other people are feeling as well? I get the feeling the XSX is going to have a rough go of it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

It has a mini game where you shake the joycon and feel how many marbles are “inside” of it. It’s fuckin nuts how real that feels.

That is the one and only neat thing I’ve experienced with it in all the zillions of switch games I’ve played.

Yeah, exactly. The Dualsense is a very nice controller but I strongly recommend people temper their expectations on this one.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Pretty sure it's gig-E.

So this is weird - my brother told me to omit the network and just plug the ethernet connections directly between the two consoles.

Of course, the consoles don't see each other and so I have to log in to the WiFi, but now the data transfer is 10 times faster and is estimated to take a little over an hour to complete. That can't be going over my ancient wireless N connection, can it?

Wouldn't you need a crossover cable (or a dummy switch) for that to work?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dude don't be condescending.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't know why some of you bring so much anxiety to your life trying to get a PS5. Just wait six months, it's not worth it.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 19, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

No Sony definitely manufactured 100 million of them in a single run and will dole them out slowly over the next 7-10 years

Those...those cheeky bastards! They'll never get away with this!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys I've heard the PS5 is the greatest console of all time confirm/deny?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I had to build a new room just for my PS5.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Surprise surprise, Gamestop lied!

Don't ask me how I know :suicide:

Gamestop lied, everybody died.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Soysaucebeast posted:

OG Nier is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time and I am STOKED to play the remaster. I'm a little disappointed that you can't play as Papa Nier, but I am still pre-ordering that poo poo.

Also Disco Elysium is coming to the PS4/5 and I am hyped about that too. I played it on PC, but my current desk is not gamer friendly and I won't have a new one until I move next year (and Steamlink hates my internet for some reason). It's so good though, I don't mind paying for it a second time to play it on my couch though. The game is so good.

It is hilarious to me that the games I am most excited about for next year are all remakes/ports of games I have already played though.

OG Nier is a rare game for me. I remember the game being monotonous and kind of boring at times but holy gently caress that story and especially that soundtrack. Those two things hard carried the game for me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I love my PS5 and all but it's definitely the ugliest console I've ever owned. I'm gonna buy the redesign day one.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

does hyperdimension neptunia have a ps5 char yet

she better be THICC

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This is dumb why is it so awful to get a freaking PS5

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm actually looking forward to Christmas and New Year's passing as that will cause the "MUST HAVE BY CHRISTMAS (or at least ordered)" fever to die down. It may be somewhat possible to get one in 2021. This just serves to cause frustration on people that want a PS5.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

oh my god I think I actually got one that time

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's loving awful, I agree. Even after getting one I still feel stressed out.

Please console makers, don't do this poo poo again

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there a compiled list of what PS4 games actually get upgrades / have a PS5 version? It's incredibly confusing trying to compile this information - I want to get a few games out of my backlog that don't have a difference PS4 vs. PS5 but everything I'm finding online gives...inconclusive information.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've got a Samsung T7 coming in the mail for PS4 games. Should I plug it into one of the rear USB A ports or the front USB C port? Does it really matter since they're both 10Gbps ports? I've heard conflicting thoughts on this online so I figured I'd ask goons since y'all seem to know more than most people.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

My Dec 17th Walmart order has arrived, there is hope purchased-from-Walmart-mid-December goons.

My December 17th order hasn't even shipped yet.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You guys realize you can easily check out games at the library? It's fantastic for short games that you want to play but don't want to spend money for. It easily makes up for the extra 100 dollars over the digital edition.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Y'all should focus on 4k60 this generation. Talk of 120 or 8k is a pipe dream until PS6 at the earliest. Hell, 4k30 is probably a more reasonable expectation once we get past these cross gen games.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We desperately need PSVR2. PSVR screams fun proof of concept that's actually pretty annoying to use.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I personally like how seamless the Pulse integrates with the PS5. That was a big selling point for me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Walmart shipped my PS5 via OnTrac, which...uh, worries me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Firstborn posted:

I really want to see PS5 scalpers selling them for $350 when the supply ramps up. That's my hope.

Wouldn't they just return them at that point?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Maneater is ten hours too long.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Isn't the front port basically designed for things like dongles for headsets since it isn't a superspeed port? Like, sure it'll work in the rear but you're wasting that port for something that doesn't even come close to 10Gbps.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The charging station is easily the best charging station I've ever used. Highly recommend it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Even mediocre implementation of haptic feedback, like in Bugsnax, still contributes a lot to a game. I really hope it gets implemented more in the future.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Maneater's going to take me ~15 hours to 100% it, so when I say 10 hours too long I meant that it should have only been a five hour game. The combat is way, way too tedious and my poor R2 is going to need a long break after this game....all you do is mash R2 in fights.

The narration is hilarious and seeing what Parnell says next has carried me through the game. But it's not a good game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the final timestamp on my 100% run was 8 hours 30 minutes, where the heck are you getting the extra 7 from?

agreed that it's very hard on the R2 trigger though, i didn't play the pc version but it seems like a poor adaptation of mouse controls

My 3 year old's been having fun swimming around as the shark? Hard to tell how much time she's really put into it, but either way, the game feels like it's taken 30 hours to complete.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

Sony have apparently backtracked on backtracking on VRR/ALLM on their "Ready for PS5" TVs so uh :confuoot:

LG are also coming out with a new cheaper line of OLEDs, which will be capped at 60Hz and HDMI 2.0, which, frankly, will suit a lot of consoles fine. There was no announcement of exactly how cheap these things would be, but the previous low end of LG's OLED B-series line was $/£/€1400 at launch so "surely" the A-series will be cheaper than that.

I'm still of the opinion that HDMI 2.0 will be plenty this generation. 120Hz is still very expensive and will continue to be for a while now. The fidelity loss that you'd have to take to get to 120 vs. 60 will likely not be worth it for developers. Hell, we're still trying to get them to wrap their heads around that most people prefer 60 over 30!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yo what the gently caress is up with the Bugsnax ending?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I just thought the...shift in focus was a tad ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah... But does it really need a sequel? It felt long in the tooth towards the end.