Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

lite frisk posted:

I doubt this would be a pivotal consideration in Sony's strategy with the PS+ collection, but I definitely wonder how much it has helped attract completely new console purchasers -- specifically those like me basically driven by Covid.

Let's put it this way, I haven't touched any game from the last generation, and I almost certainly would not have have pre-ordered the PS5 if there was no pandemic. Just have had no time for games in years past so seemed like a massive waste of money.

But I live in a major city, there's now gently caress-all to do with lockdown round 2 and winter around the corner, and my gf and I are seriously running out of ideas for new stuff to do without leaving home. I've probably already spent 10x the amount on dumb mobile games than I would have on any other non-pandemic year, and so a console started to seem like a loving fantastic thing to have. Combine that with all the money saved by simply having to stay locked in and do nothing, and late-summer I started monitoring the Xbox/PlayStation announcements.

Now with the PS+ collection and discounted last gen co-op games I have more than I could've ever asked for to keep us entertained through lockdown winter nights and am hella excited. From a value perspective Sony made this a total no-brainer with the PS+ for someone like me.

This is my exact situation. Very excited to get the PS5, have no idea which game I'm gonna start with but it's gonna make the long winter a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
I know there was some chatter about this earlier, so just wanna sound off on the disc drive noise while playing 4k blurays - there is none. Sounded just as quiet as when I'm playing digital games. I have it set horizontally fwiw, dunno if that would be different vertical.

Also, working through Yakuza K2 now and it's extremely fun. Love just running around knocking over bikes with the new engine.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Elden Ring looks really cool and I will play it if it has a map. I get horribly lost in every FROM game because I have a miserable sense of direction and can't play 3d games without maps.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

I bought the first metroid prime maybe a couple of months after it came out and I loving hated it and gave up for like a year.

Then I realised there was a map button and all of a sudden it was amazing. That said, I much prefer that DS1 didn't have a map - everything was so distinct and memorable I never needed it.

I wish I had that luxury, but really I just get so stupidly lost even if there are landmarks/memorable environments. I could maybe suffer through it if I wasn't also dying every few steps, but every time I've tried one of their games I just stumble aimlessly through the first section, get lost, die, try to find my way back to where I died and just go in circles. Just completely unplayable for me, unfortunately. I got lost in that one area you go when you die in Bloodborne, for example, and just circled it for like 20 minutes. But if there's a map, oh baby, I could actually get somewhere maybe.

I got lost in real life a ton before GPS on phones, btw, so this is more of a Me problem than anything else. But it still stinks to be essentially locked outta these games that everyone else says are the best of the previous generation.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Finally got my ps5 delivered. Thoroughly enjoying ghosts of Tsushima right now. I’m planning on playing both Spider-Man’s next. Any other suggestions? I haven’t had a console since ps2

Setup! Cable management is real but not happening at the moment.

I also hadn't owned a console since the PS2 generation, and I gotta recommend checking out the Yakuza series. Just finished the spinoff game Judgment today and thought it was brilliant. You should be able to find it very cheap, and it runs like a dream on PS5 to the point that I don't understand why it's getting a rerelease in a couple months.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah lol more revenue definitely means its the most common form of entertainment. thats why if you go anywhere with normal people theyre all gathered around the water cooler talking about the latest ps4 game. i have never heard of television

My coworker called me ageist today for thinking she wouldn't be interested in whatever videogame I was playing.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
A week ago I was complaining about Bloodborne being inaccessible to me because there wasn't a map, but it turns out that was wrong. I'd still like there to be a map and I get lost a ton, but I defeated Amygdala last night after playing it all weekend. Game rules. Just ordered a copy of Demon's Souls.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Souls games generally make areas distinct enough that you don't really need a map to navigate, unless getting lost and confused is the point (Forbidden Woods).

I just have a broken sense of direction, so I get turned around a lot whenever a game gives me control of the camera. Even just a compass would be a tremendous help in a souls game, but I'm pushing through. Forbidden Woods was annoying, but made me all the more determined to gently caress that boss up so I didn't have to go through it again.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Just to let you know, the FROM games usually have amazing art books that also double as strategy guides. You can usually get them for a reasonable price on release, if that helps, tho getting one of them now that they're out of print will see a 300% markup. :(

Trying to avoid that due to the discovery being one of the things I'm enjoying so much. So I wouldn't want a map that actually tells me where stuff is, if that makes sense. I just would like something handy to catch my bearings from time to time. But I am getting through it and still enjoying it enough to order Demon's Souls, so obviously it's not as much of a problem as I initially thought it'd be. Central Yarnham & the forest were the worst places for me tbh.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

RichterIX posted:

The main thing that annoys me (which is going to start a chorus of "buy digital" from everyone here) is that if you don't play a disc game for a while it moves it off the home screen, but you can't check for updates on titles in your library, so if you just wanted to start an update for later or something you have to put the disc in the PS5 and start the game to trigger the update. I wish there was a "gently caress your bandwidth cap" setting that just kept every installed game updated instead of just the ones on your home screen.

Mine has been updating games with every patch when they come out? Like, it's been giving me the newest Yakuza 7 patches even though I haven't played it since I beat it in December, and it's disc...

Anyway, beat Bloodborne today, phenomenal game, wish I had been less of a baby and played it much sooner... but the goddamn final boss trophy glitched or something, because I didn't get one after defeating the final final boss. I saw all three endings, started in on NG+ for a couple hours, and then noticed I only have trophies for two of them. Nuts.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

please let me know when you go through World 3-1 in Demon's Souls and how you feel about it.

This is Latria, right? That one hasn't been terrible navigation-wise. I've made it to the boss.

As for the rest of the game though, the map design on this is so awful in places. I spent like an hour going through the tunnels (2-2?), completely lost, slowly chipping away at those stupid giant lava bugs, only to die to a pool of lava I accidentally dipped my toe in. Now that there's no trail of treasures to follow to get back there, I'll almost certainly never make it back (not to retrieve my souls, those are long gone). Kinda not enjoying this game.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

There is no shame in watching a guide to navigate 2-2.

It is stupidly complicated (mainly because they all circle back) until you learn the exact bug tunnel to face then 180 to see the offshoot.

The good news is once you clear the treasure you can take the express route by running right through the mob of miners.

That's just one example. I feel like every area I'm in right now has these tight narrow corridors where the camera fucks up, and if I manage to get through that nonsense then there's some giant damage sponge blocking my path where I just have to sit there casting spells at it for minutes, because it'll kill me in one hit and if I try to dodge I roll into some trap or pit or whatever. Just a lot of unfun design decisions that weren't there in Bloodborne, which is a game that always felt fair.

The positive points are that the dragons in the first world are genuinely very scary, and the rolling skeleton guys are very funny.

I dunno, I'll keep plugging away at it for a bit, but I'm guessing I won't finish this and probably will trade in my copy. Will probably still try Elden Ring cuz I get the sense that From has learned a lot since this was made.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The lava bugs are there for a reason. If you're a magic guy they're a gently caress you. If you're a barbarian you can swat them in one hit.

Take the game's hint. Relax. Focus.

There is no shame in using a guide.

I gave it another shot this morning with a clear head, died five times to the boss of 2-2, four of which were due to the lovely camera bugging out. Died several more times on the path down to that boss because I missed a platform by a centimeter. Looked at the other stages that I had available to me, and then just closed the game. This one ain't for me. Basically everything that I liked about Bloodborne is absent. Bummed, but different strokes and all. Will trade in for something more my speed.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Starting to get into the late-game in my Bloodborne replay. Cainhurst Castle is one of my fave environments from a Dark Souls game, it's just so atmospheric and spooky.

I also never made it to the Upper Cathedral Ward in my original playthrough so that's been all-new stuff. Looking forward to/dreading Martyr Logarius (who I think I managed to completely miss last time) as well as the Upper Cathedral bosses.

Cainhurst was one of my favorite places when playing through, too. Was basically the dream of a 3D Castlevania nearly realized. Just needed some sweet Goblin-inspired organ tunes in the background.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

It's all good, fish dude. The world is monstrous and the only refuge we can find is in what few pleasures remain to us, like posting.

SOMA's a pretty good story and haunted house experience, with a lot of really cool tricks that only really work in a game, but there tend to be two big sticking points, depending on a person's individual preferences.

One, the PoV character is either literally brain-damaged, deeply in denial, or just plain dumb as a rock, depending on your interpretation. This means you're going to have the NPCs telling you The Point of the Game directly, repeatedly, and it can get a little tiresome.

Two, the monsters. I'm of the belief that the game is spooky enough without things chasing you and annoying you while you're trying to solve some pretty basic puzzles, to the point I nearly gave up on the game due to tedium. But there's also a cogent argument that the hostility is the whole point, and some folks just skip around the monsters like they're no big deal.

It's definitely worth your time in general if you can pick it up on the cheap, and if you're feeling up for a depressing story and you're down for a spooky walking sim, a pretty confident purchase at basically any price.

There is also an option to just turn the monster damage off, and I can confirm that it's spooky enough without them hurting you, especially if you're one of those people terrified of underwater areas.

Very good game, with a pretty unique (for games) and engaging plot.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

judgment owns and you should all play it and have it be one of the big thread mascot games you fucks who ignored it in 2019.

I played it earlier this year and agree. Incredible experience, had one of the best laughs in the series at the very end of the game when a whole bunch of doctors try to get in your way, and your group just one-shots all of them. But I also don't think the PS5 upgrade is probably gonna be worth it, graphics looked incredible already (most convincing facial animations I've ever seen in a game), and this seems to be a side-grade at best. Load times were already barely there when playing on PS5.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

RGG planning global launches on their future games is so awesome. Very pumped for this one.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

I've played RE 0, Director's Cut, 2, 2 Remake, 3, 3 Remake, CV, 4, 5, 6, and 7. My thoughts are about the same in general for all of them: that was stupid as poo poo and dumb as turd, and I liked it! Except 7 which was fairly boring to me and embarrassing, like I was playing a Rob Zombie movie game.

What's up, will I like 8?

It's got none of the Rob Zombie-ness. Inspirations this time were pretty clearly old Universal monster movies, not Saw and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Different vibe, lots of fun, though the plot of it is a direct sequel to 7 if you care about understanding what's going on at all.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

The only actual ps5 games I’ve bought, not counting the handful I have that got free upgrades, have been demons souls and Dirt 5.

Returnal sounds cool so I’ll probably get that when it goes on a sale. I’m thinking of RE8 too but I’m wondering how it is compared to PC. Like surely the PC will allow a better framerate but does it at least keep solid at 60fps on ps5? Does it do anything novel with the controller?

If you turn off raytracing in RE8, it stays at a solid 60 throughout. Otherwise it noticeably dips in the watery area. Controller has some trigger resistance stuff that seemed unnecessary, don't think there's any haptic stuff, if there is it's nothing I've noticed.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

mcbexx posted:

RE8 spoiler question (Village of Shadows fairy tale/credits animation)

So if the monsters from Rose's favourite fairy tale are all the bosses in the Village ... did she will them into existence?

RE8 Ending spoilers The fairy tale was being read to her by Miranda, so presumably Miranda just wanted to talk about her subordinates. You know, give Rose the heads up before she meets them. Very anti-Heisenberg.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Watching this gameplay teaser reminded me of why I stopped enjoying Horizon after a while, which is that Aloy quipped about every single object. She even does it underwater now!

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Fedule posted:

Is it just me or is Axiom Verge 2 incredibly loud? Switching to it from other games I've found that for the first time in my memory I feel compelled to enter a game's audio options and just turn everything down. I feel like 30% BGM and 10% SFX is sane. What's going on?

Not just you, I had to do the same thing.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

TasteTheRambo posted:

Can someone PLEASE help me with my issue of my PS5 turning itself on whenever it pleases? "HDMI Device Link" is OFF. "Remote Play" itself is OFF. "Turn On Via The Internet" is OFF. I've changed BOTH of my controllers to communicate with the PS5 via USB Cable. It shouldn't be possible for it to do this anymore. Its doing it seemingly randomly. I'm waking up during the night to take a piss only to find my tv and PS5 on and I have to clear he house to make sure no ones been in my house. I'm losing my loving mind.

Do you have the media remote? Mine was randomly turning my ps5 on, had to pull the batteries out and then realized I never needed the thing at all so now it sits in a drawer.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Frankston posted:

I uninstalled demon's souls, that game is really loving boring imo and I wasn't enjoying any aspect of it at all.

This was my reaction to Demon's Souls as well, and I loved Bloodborne. I really hated the troll level design combined with the garbage camera. Have reinstalled it a couple times just to see and came away with the exact same feeling each time.

I have since played and loved Dark Souls 3 (up to the final boss, at which point I decided I'd had enough since I prefer the exploration to the boss fights so there was nothing left for me to really get into), and am really looking forward to Elden Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Matrix game looks nice but is begging to have Kiryu modded in, as shooting cars on the freeway is something of a hobby for him.