Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

generically titled Destruction Allstars, which some people have loosely described as fortnite in cars, is a AAA game title developed by Lucid (formerly Bizarre Creations of Metropolis Street Racer cred) in conjunction with XDEV (formerly Liverpool Studio, formerly Psygnosis)...currently Sony Worldwide's guns for hire:

"In addition to funding projects, XDev offer full production, project management and game design support. Titles are also supported with community management, online production and dedicated outsourcing management facilities. XDev work directly with Marketing and PR teams in all Sony territories to promote and publish games worldwide."

I wish they would just bring Psygnosis back :(

As I understand it, though XDEV has a staff, it's more of an initiative than a studio. It's a label the European branch gives to their games that are developed by external devs but get direct support from Sony. It's probably got some Psygnosis blood in it, but I think it's inaccurate to call it "formerly Liverpool Studio, formerly Psygnosis".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also pretty odd that Sony's being so mum about a big part of its lineup this late.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

these are stupid own goals. not the time to be making your customers feel like suckers, sony.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah... PS6 launch :getin:

optimistic the playstation brand survives that long, eh?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

It’s Sony’s #1 money maker soooo yes?

i was a joking because of all the doom and gloom surounding ps this past week

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm really wondering how "upgraded" (or whatever official terminology they're using) PS4 games are going to look on the PS5, compared to my PC with an Nvidia 1660. For example, Borderlands 3 is locked at 30 on the PS4 but can go to 60 or beyond on my PC, and with HDR, but will the upgraded version of PS4 Borderlands 3 look like that on the PS5?

For BL3 specifically it shouldn't be a problem because the PS4 Pro version has an uncapped (or 60fps, idk) option.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also BL3 is getting a free proper upgrade.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really? Maybe I missed that...

The 30fps "resolution" mode is vomit inducing to me. Not because I'm a snob, but cause they hosed up something with the lag/frame pacing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is where I get all confused about the terminology. For PS4 games to run on the PS5, they have to get patched in one way or another, right? Is that patch going to be called an "upgrade", or something else?

No, PS5 should be backwards compatible for most games out of the box. Some games will get patches for optimizations, but that's not what I meant with the upgrade. It's a new PS5 version. An enhanced port, except it's free if you have the PS4 version.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

What was that discussion about disk-based games not working out at the box about then? I thought they were saying that an unadorned PS4 game wouldn't run on the PS5, and that it had to connect to the internet and download something.

I haven't heard that, but maybe I missed something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why isn't it even subtitled?

it is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAY-jAjm0w

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

From that angle it looks like a heat bucket, but I don't know the first thing about thermal design.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fedule posted:

This liquid metal deal fascinates me.

Liquid metal thermal interface material (TIM) is great, because like Sony said and like you can probably guess, it's a really good thermal conductor, better by an order of magnitude than the ceramic paste you normally see on CPUs. It also has two very big problems: firstly, it - being mostly based on gallium - corrodes copper (aka the thing most heatsinks are made of) in the presence of air, which among other problems will gradually ruin the thermal interface, and secondly, it - being metallic - will short basically anything on the mainboard it comes into contact with. Because of these problems, metal TIMs are typically only seen a) inside commercial CPU blocks between the silicon die and the heat spreader which is fully sealed off and almost never accessed by consumers and b) in enthusiast custom builds, where the builder is free to tackle these problems - or be ignorant and get bitten my them - as they wish, usually by either working very carefully, committing to some maintenance, or knowing they'll probably replace most of it in a few years anyway.

What I'm getting at here is that it is a bold choice to use a liquid metal TIM in a mass market consumer electronic device like the PS5, especially one that's intended to work in various orientations and be carted around in backpacks and be allowed anywhere near children. The teardown video mentioned "two years of research" and alluded to some patents. I can only presume that all this work was figuring out how the hell to work around the problems inherent in putting interesting liquid gallium alloys inside your electronics.

It seems a little reductive to suppose that the sum total fruit of two years of research is "put an insulating block around it" but I can't really argue with the sense of that. Perhaps the work went into producing not only a block (which might be made of something interesting) but also a manufacturing method to consistently apply the block, the liquid inside the block, and the seal on top of it, all reliably, in a way that ensures a good interface between the SoC and the heatsink that's fully contained and airtight to stop it reacting. Plus I imagine they'll treat the copper contact plate into the bargain, I think that's a thing. It's also possible Sony might have developed an entirely new kind of liquid metal TIM that alleviates some of the problems associated with it - in any case I highly doubt they've simply bought a couple hundred vats of Conductonaut. I don't think it's going to be any kind of exotic compound, though, because I guess at some point this stuff still has to be reasonably user-serviceable, I hope?

What I really wonder is how this will affect dissassmbly. Most people don't take apart their Playstations as far as the actual SoC, and for those that do, ceramic TIM is foolproof enough that you can just tell people to just slather some on there and it'll probably be fine (hell it's not like the factory puts much effort into applications either) and you can't really ruin anything by spilling it. Obviously that's not so with liquid metal, the proposition is inherently going to be spicier. My guess is that Sony are taking the approach - not altogether unreasonably - that all bets are off once a consumer is prodding at their silicon instead of the fans, heatsink, SSD or antennae (good god, at least they actually let you get at the cooling assembly without going through the loving mainboard this time around). My point with this is, with all the fun considerations in place around liquid metal it's in everyone's interests to never ever open that thing up if you can help it. And my point with that is, I absolutely cannot wait for the stories of people deciding to do it anyway.

Also, I idly wonder if there'll be some kind of RRoD/YLoD-scale scandal that turns out to arise from this insulating block not being quite as airtight as we hoped...

yeah i hope going with relatively untested tech doesn't end up biting them in the rear end

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno. Yakisoba pan is just a hot dog bun but with fried noodles in place of the hot dog.

Also it’s pretty awful. After I finished playing that game I decided to try some again for the first time since I first moved to Japan like 15 years ago but ugh.

I understand why someone from a period of famine in Japan would latch onto it though.

Sounds a bit like bamischijf, which I loved

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

like fully half of the script is them thanking microsoft for being their best friends and hanging out with them lol

i think people tend to be too quick with accusations of bias, but it did seem like he genuinely felt snubbed. idk, maybe he was dealing with some other poo poo that day.

acksplode posted:

Haven't watched the video yet but I imagine it'll go like every other time I've seen someone accuse the DF guys of being anything other than completely unobjectionable

i'm not a fan of how they handle some of their exclusive coverage like the nvidia controlled 3080 world-first benchmarks (a week after they published an nvidia sponsored video)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The CC is sort of barren, yes, but the pop up UX is bloated with graphic imagery and I sort of hate it :shrug:

It's nowhere near as formally elegant as the PS4 XMB.

lot of text too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DS5 works on PS4?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it only records when you're online with others, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just personally, the Bethesda purchase has cooled my enthusiasm for the PS5. It was a no brainer before, now it's something I'm gonna have to weigh a bit more carefully.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Weigh this: bethesda is trash and their games are poo poo

thanks, but I like some of their stuff

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i didn't enjoy his burger

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently some Sony games are getting patches to optimize load times on the PS5. And in the case of The Last of Us Remastered that's even the case when playing on a PS4, though I'm not sure how much improvement you'll see without an SSD.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's the sort of thing I was worried Sony wouldn't bother with. Good to see. Maybe there's hope for a Bloodborne patch yet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it has a look. there's beauty in that. sorta.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

tacky, imho

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol sony

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah i'd be really surprised if there was no ps5 pro

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

absolutely, it seemed tailor made for the rocket league model.

weird to announce this so late, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

a guy leaked the embargo dates accidently in his own youtube comments. its the 27th for unboxing, the 6th of nov for "other stuff", and game reviews are their own days in between and unspecified.

a special embargo just for unboxing, lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I reserve the right to change my mind when I see it in person, but I gotta say that thing ain't pretty

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1321062808247820291?s=21

Exciting

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Everyone seems to love the new haptic feedback and triggers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feature I hadn't heard of: if you hold the mic button it'll mute all audio, game sounds included, not just the mic (tapping it toggles just the mic)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Ah, we're at this stage to the pr life cycle.

what?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Curious how much better PS5 PSVR is (w/ the current headset, obviously)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd like a high budget Sony space game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

you can still claim it if you dont have a ps5 if you have plus, right?

e:bugsnax

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

GTA5 is still a paid product. The standalone version of GTA Online is coming to PS5 next year and for the first 3 months it'll be free to download.

will it also be a free upgrade?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

haveblue posted:

Has anyone gone into detail about exactly how the adaptive triggers work mechanically? I'm really getting curious, I hope someone does a teardown once they're widely available.

there's patent illustrations if that helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

funkymonks posted:

That's a lot of little plastic bits to break. I hope they are durable.

that has been my worry all along

It's a $70 replacement