Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I want FFXVI, Ratchet and Clank, and Horizon: Forbidden West more than anything tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DuckHuntDog posted:

They have a lot of data on people who are big users of their platform they can make sure get consoles early. People have become increasingly savvy about scooping up preorders, particularly for resale. I bet it is probably a number similar to the allotments they gave big retailers.

also, bots can't scoop up pre-orders from Sony since they're tied to specific PSN usernames

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
jet fuel mountain dew can't melt steel beams plastic casings

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
If I wanted my console to look like a lifeless box I would leave it in one.

Tacier posted:

I quit my first and only Souls game after getting repeatedly invaded and killed by another player. I couldn’t do anything about it and it wasn’t fun so I never came back to them. I still don’t know why that mechanic exists.

yeah, invasions are my least favourite part of Souls games. I know I could play offline or whatever but half the fun is finding people's notes. pitiful woman and all.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

The one thing I think they should add to invasion mechanics is that even losing you should gain something. So it wouldn't be all frustrating to get ganked while exploring.

getting ganked while exploring is kind of a central theme of From games at this point, whether it's by invaders or just random mobs.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

The mobs aren’t random though, they’re always in the same place and always do the same things so you can counter them by remembering what happened last time. Invaders are unpredictable both in place and behavior.

I meant more when you're going through an area the first time and don't know where anything is and haven't experienced it yet. DS3 even had computer "invaders" that showed up at certain points.

yeah, going back through an area later and getting invaded is kinda annoying. that's why in DS3 I just went back to the Firelink Shrine, spent whatever souls I wanted/needed to, and killed myself to get rid of the Ember. and why I beeline to the bell maidens in the Nightmare Frontier/Nightmare of Mensis.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does Bloodborne have invasions and can you turn that off? I just want to play my game in peace

there are two areas where you can be invaded by design, and once you find the enemy that lets it happen and kill them, that part's done forever. otherwise, if you summon someone to help you (NPC or other player), that opens you up to be invaded I believe.

if you want to avoid it entirely you can always play offline, but that means you don't see other players' notes.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

eonwe posted:

So Persona 5 comes with PS Plus on PS5, is it the Royal Edition?

pretty sure it's just the regular one.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Policenaut posted:

This is some mild news but Japan is currently roaring because it appears Sony is finally unifying X as confirm globally with the PS5. While the PS4 added an option to make X as confirm last year, there have been Japanese PS5 game trailers that also depict X as confirm. What got their attention is a big Japanese game blogger is about to debut a PS5 demonstration video and in the thumbnail it identifies the X button as confirm on the system menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy7dO2qH2t0

This isn't a huge deal for most global users but for JP users and global users who import JP titles, it finally means the confusion will be ending!

there is one game I will play like that, and that is FF7. it's just part of my muscle memory for it. otherwise that poo poo throws me off every time I go from a Switch game to a PS4 game and vice versa

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my consoles have been vertical since the PS3, behind my TV. PS2 was horizontal in an entertainment center, and PS1 was mostly horizontal until the end when it had to be on its side to read discs

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Anybody who thinks X is confirm is a literal baby born before 1994

yeah why would you make the button closest to people's resting thumb placement and to the right stick the one that gets used for the most common input?

:iiam:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

I know it's a left side/right side of the road thing and any standard would be fine. But I can't handle the switching. I'm just not smart enough to switch between all three console platforms

I am mostly OK with the AB/BA placement but XY/YX still fucks me up constantly. Because PS standards were symbols instead of letters, it has been a little better.

I legit hate that Nintendo made the top button X and the side button Y. I teach math, so I have had years upon years of the exact reverse of that drilled in my head.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Migrating from Nintendo, it might be hard to adjust to games that are actually difficult or challenging

let's see you get all the Shine Sprites in Sunshine without a guide. or full completion of DKC: Tropical Freeze

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

eonwe posted:

I bought a PS4 controller because my godlike PC gamer hands need to get used to a controller, and I gotta say I really like the feel. Its definitely a lot easier to play Spelunky 2 on as opposed to M + KB. Same with Dark Souls 3.

DS4 is a real good controller. I've always liked Sony's tbh. only issue with the DS3 was the triggers, well, triggering whenever you set the controller down

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Baggot posted:

The sticks were also bad. Convex, no rim, and super loose so your thumbs would keep slipping off them.

I never had that problem. the DS4 is obviously an improvement and I'm glad they updated the sticks, though

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
re: remotes, if your TV has HDMI-CEC or whatever (don't pretty much all?), it's worth checking to see if your TV remote works. that's what I use most of the time

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

henpod posted:

It's time we saw some SSD poo poo. Xbox already showed loading times, game swappin speeds, how old games look and run. I'm sure it'll come soon though.

I was gonna hold off until next year but now, I don't know. Me and my wife are saving to buy a place, and we don't earn much. But...

luckily you can live in the PS5 if you just take out the heatsink

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Crafty posted:

PS5s are logistically too large to move. The only ones seen outside of the tear down room (where the one real PS5 resides) were empty shells

the reason you have to have the stand on at all times is because that's where the anti-grav unit is

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

morestuff posted:

Hoping they run a deep discount between now and Nov. 12, was planning on GoT basically being my PS5 launch title

I mean, it's 25% off now (US). I don't know that you're gonna get much better for a game that came out like 2-3 months ago.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Has anyone who ordered their console gotten any word regarding the shipping situation yet? I paid for launch day delivery and haven't heard a peep since my order confirmation.

that would be pretty early. I don't think you're going to get anything until they actually ship. it's still a month away.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it's probably guaranteed I'll pick up BugSnax and Demon's Souls and play them in the reverse order of that. then I might play Persona 5 or The Last Guardian from the PS+ collection since I never played either of them.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Demon souls remake isn't by from right?

So I'd be way more into a 60fps bloodborne pls

it's by Bluepoint, whose entire job is making remasters and they're very good at it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bradzilla posted:

Are digital pre-orders not currently a thing for PS5? I'm looking for SM:MM and DMC5:SE on the PSN store and only getting results for the PS4 versions.

there are NA pre-orders for Spider-man and Demon's Souls, I think. beyond that I don't think anything else has gone up

e: the PS4 and PS5 versions are cross-buy, at least one way

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/marvels-spider-man-miles-morales/

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

why would you post that without this part?

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1315790757320564736

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Crafty posted:

Bushido blade was amazing, used to play it with school buddies too. I liked the infinite enemies mode, and the multiplayer was amazing. I’d never played a game where you could permanently disable your buddies arms and legs and then run around in circles mocking them.

living out the Monty Python fantasy.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't want to talk to anyone while I'm playing a game, but I do find it amusing to listen to other people. like people in TLOU who complain about some team being "bullshit" and "cheating" when they're just playing together and using teamwork.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I never use voice chat but it's been a trip over the years to hear other people's. parents yelling at their kids, people playing music that sounds great over the lovely bitrates, griping about griefers, etc.

like it's just extra entertainment while I'm playing. and then like every 100th time, someone will use it for something actually useful.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 18, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Sony pr has been pretty clear that they aren't too interested in old games.

it's a lot of investment for probably zero payback for them.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

is it? Microsoft makes a big deal about how successful their BC program has been. I know it won me over.

I feel like most of the Sony games that anyone would want to play have already been remastered or are available on PS Now. there are certainly games out there, but it's probably way less of an incentive when Sony are consistently putting out new games that people want, whereas Microsoft isn't even releasing a first-party game on the Series X this year, I don't think, and they've committed to no exclusives for at least a year. their whole model is gaming as a service/subscription.

like they're probably never going to do it, but the only real games I can think of that I can't play right now that I wish would get a re-release are the SSX trilogy.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 19, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
isn't Ico playable on PS Now? at least it was when I tried it, but maybe it got rotated out.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I hope that forums user who posts from their PS4 will continue to post from a PS5 eventually

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The original title was a much more normal "Gods and Monsters", and if you read the Wikipedia page on its development, the whole thing screams "Management and Marketing hosed with this".

they also didn't want to bother fighting a lawsuit with Monster Energy about it

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/ubisoft-changed-gods-monsters-name-because-it-violated-monster-energy-s-trademark-603623.phtml

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

"Was the intention of your patch to provide improvements?"

maybe he played Star Wars Galaxies

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

psyman posted:

I’ve owned both an Xbox One S and X plus a PS4 and Pro at various points, so I feel that I can say with authority that the build quality and aesthetics of the One S/X are really superior in a way that’s hard to communicate in photos. People criticise the plain box design of the Xbox as “boring” but up close it’s nicely detailed with asymmetric rectangular shapes and subtle textures and sharp corners like a piece of monolithic architecture, so I think the Series X will look better in person.

The PS5 really looks tacky and amateurish in comparison; Sony should have gone with an updated PS2 shell, which I still think is the best looking console design. The PS5 isn’t odd or abstract in a cool way like the Gamecube or even the original PS3.

why are you so wrong though?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

morestuff posted:

PS2 at least has a nice, clean silhouette. PS5 looks like three separate elements jammed together because there's no one dominant color. Four elements, with the LED

I hate to break it to you but

the PS2 had an overhang, more than one colour (it's not all black lol), a big ol' PS2 on the top side...

like I love that console to death but it wasn't pretty looking

if you're gonna do something stupid like count the LED, the PS2 had three different LED colours lmao

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

lol sony

I actually liked PS Vue a lot and was sad it died. it was competitively priced in my area and the interface was nice. I used it to watch the Olympics and stuff.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the games I never had from the PS+ collection are:

Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Days Gone
God of War
The Last Guardian
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
RE7

so like half of the titles. out of those, the only ones I'll probably ever play are God of War, The Last Guardian, and Persona 5. Maybe Arkham Knight, but I don't really like Batman that much. either way, it also means I get some digital copies of games I currently have on disc, so it's a hell of a deal.

re: cards, I wonder if you'll be able to turn them off? same way you can turn off trophy notifications and stuff. it'd be kind of silly if you couldn't, but then I wouldn't be surprised either.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

They've not been, just how some people interpret reserving judgment.

listen if you're not hyped af about the PS5 then you don't even deserve one tbh

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bad Parenting posted:

Na they've generally been regurgitating Microsoft's buzzwords about gamepass and BC while being down on Sony for stuff like releasing like miles morales on PS4, moaning about Sony making a new controller whereas MS let you carry all your peripherals forward and so on.

idk why anyone would care about not being able to carry a controller forward. headsets and poo poo still work, and you can get an adapter for the camera if you really want it.

the DS4 -> DS5 situation is basically the same as the original PS controller -> DS2 one with the PS2. you could still use the original PS1 controller on the PS2 but not if you wanted to play something like Ape Escape.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Lobok posted:

The Cyberpunk news reminds me of how few games some of these developers make per generation, especially games that are exclusive to one generation only. Does CDPR have time for another big game after this that would only be for the PS5 era or will it be so long that it won't come out until the time of the PS6?

I mean, I don't think Rockstar even need to make another game ever again, since they can just sell GTAV again and live off of the online stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Coffee Jones posted:

Recyclable / biodegradable - lots of paper sleeves and pressed toilet paper cardboard linings. The old NES was nothing but styrofoam

Unlike this fucker which is powered by the soul of an orphaned baby seal.

was this actually the dev kit or was this just some weird concept image that got blown out of proportion and internet nerds ran with it?