Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd make fun of y'all early adopters but I'm also the idiot who purchased Horizon Zero Dawn for my PC.... and I'm still waiting for that thing to be vaguely playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

When I was looking for Ring Fit Adventure earlier this year I used Zoolert to locate a copy. Their texts go out a bit earlier than email alerts, FYI.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How loud is the console?

The last set of PS4 games (Tony Hawk 1 + 2, CoD, Miles Morales) turns my PS4 Pro into a jet engine, to the point where it has literally woken people up in another room.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone know what shipping service Sony's direct site uses? USPS hates my address and enjoys getting packages lost : )

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've been steadily picking up assassins's creed games on sale - but for some reason Ubisoft refuses to put Syndicate on sale whatsoever.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Peter Parker had a poo poo ton of "instant win" gadget combos that made any combat piss-easy once you exploited them. Miles at least forced me to come up with another set of ways to dominate.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

It's a real problem with Marvel atm and you can feel all their heroes melting into the same "tech-genius with lots of gadgets" mold.

I found it really funny that 1: Peter gives Miles the most dumb-rear end looking suit of all time as a gift and 2: Miles and Genke replace it almost immediately with something way better looking.

I kept expecting Peter's "gift" costume to be some sort of brick joke at the end - "you should've seen your face! I put that costume together while on the toilet, wanted to force you to wear more than a fuckin' hoodie"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

First try on Road to Nowhere? I didn't even know that that's humanly possible.

Also IIRC the Switch version of Crash plays at 30fps, which might explain why it feels so much easier on the PS5.

This discussion about God of War is making my morning more enjoyable, at least.

Revengeance's combat is a great time, but I've bounced off of Bayonetta a few times already. I think there's just something about the aesthetic that turns me off.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I mean, I also found Ghosts of Tsushima's combat to be over-rated too. The lack of a lock on camera is baffling

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Random question of the day: does anyone know if the new Ratchet and Clank title will have an option turn off motion blur? (Insomniac's spider man thankfully has this option)

The ps4 entry forced blur and it literally made me sick multiple times.

See also, Horizon Zero Dawn which became a blurry sludge of color any time I moved the camera (finally gave up and bought the drat thing on PC. After waiting a few months it's finally stable enough to play, even though my not-great rig is struggling to keep it at 30FPS in 1080p)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Are y'all just refreshing the add cart link every few seconds? I did that and triggered an endless captcha loop

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Netrunner posted:

Did anyone who got a PS5 from Walmart get an order update or cancellation yet? I think it’s too early but mine hasn’t changed.

I also threw the disk version in my cart and got the initial email, but haven't heard anything beyond that.

Also I wonder if it will also talk about March 3rd to ship....

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I have a friend who's not great at drawing. So you know what he does?

Ray Traces.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think I already know the answer, but is there any hope of PS4 themes becoming compatible? For years I've had the PS anniversary theme that plays the original PSX start up sound whenever I boot it up

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I somehow snuck in to the Walmart 2/4 drop and haven't yet received a cancelation notice. I was also an idiot/their site is garbage so I gave them the right shipping address but hosed up the billing address. Hopefully they'll give me a chance to fix. Maybe.

Also it still has this delivering on 3/4, so it may be a long wait.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh christ, I'm an idiot. My WalMart preorder still hasn't been canceled and is all set for a March 3rd shipping date!

I put the correct shipping date but... when I hurried and ordered I put my old expired billing address :(

I might be screwed

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

HBO Max has Cinemax's Warrior, which features Joe Taslim playing a Chinest immigrant beating the hell out of racists. 10/10 would recommend.

On another note, my PS5 shipped!!! Can't wait to get it, play Astro's playroom, and then try SpiderMan and I guess God of War? Oh poo poo, Control got a patch/ps5 version too? Jedi fallen order might finally get some love as well

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 19, 2021

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

1) My PS5 came! Huzzah! For those still trying, I and many other goons had best luck with WalMart.

2) I'm not even sure why, but 4K looks much more striking and less "soft" than on the PS4. Everything is very pretty.

3) I'm happy its backwards compatible, to say the least. I do wish that developers stepped in with more patches or Sony could find a way to unlock framerates. I'm midway through Rise of Tomb Raider on the PS4 and I'm now paralyzed between choosing silkly smooth 60FPS (Was 40ish on the PS4, so not worth it) or gorgeous 4K that looks much better but runs worse. this is pretty nitpicky, but drat do I wish I could have both.

4) My biggest issue is that Astrobot is so fun and joyful that it made me boot up my Switch and buy Mario 3d World. So uh, sorry Sony!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Any idea why the USB ports are so front and center this time around? Usually consoles tend to try to hide obvious ports, and here they're loud and proud

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

AstroBot is so loving good I'm thinking of shelling out for PSVR, even though I know they'll likely push out an upgraded version soon enough

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I have had an amazing time with my PSVR but yes, it does require some effort and it's pretty outdated now. I still think it's worth owning although PC and standalone VR has lapped it 10 times over at this point. A rift S or quest is basically no effort. All the tracking stuff is internal, the controllers are actually very good and versatile, much clearer picture, room scale etc.

This kind of stuff is basically the gold standard so expect a hypothetical follow up to PSVR to follow those trends.

Someone else pointed it out, but VR on PC is also a mess of exclusivity and access. Quest 2 is great, except you can't adjust the perception beyond three presets (which means I sizable chunk of people are just hosed from the get-go) and most of the games I'd actually want to play need to be on better hardware.

I'd shell out for a Quest 2 + link cable, but my otherwise beefy PC (equivalent to an OG Xbox One, roughly speaking) is practically incompatible with VR. I've thought about updating my graphics cards for that and other reasons, but I just got done playing Get a PS5 lottery, about to do the same for a vaccine, and have no bandwidth to do the same for one of the shiny new cards.

Just venting here, but the idea that VR is seamless or at all ready for primetime is silly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

VR is sick. My sisters and I play Poker and Mini Golf together and the sense of actual interaction with another human being you get is unparalleled by anything else in the gaming world. It's a great way for us to stay connected despite living across the country.

Which minigolf do you play virtually?

On a similar note, I appreciate Sony confirming that they'll be improved VR but that it'll be a while. Giving me information to inform my purchasing decision.... whoa

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

caldrax posted:

I only ever see this kind of take from people who don't actually have it. I have an index and the setup process was less frustrating than my ps5. Granted my ps5 was defective out of the box, and I had to do an RMA, but I had to do an RMA on the index a month into owning it and that process was way less painful than dealing with Sony support. Actually using my VR headset is extremely convenient and generally goes smoothly every time, aside from the minor annoyance of my room space and having to slide my coffee table out of the way. The experience once I get in there, with the right game, is unmatched by anything else in gaming. Some of the most memorable gaming moments I've had in ages have been in the last year with VR games. There's a lot of reticence by the general public (and some very weirdly biased reporting) about buying into VR but it is absolutely a viable and amazing experience *right now* and it will likely only keep getting better. It does need more games, though. And facebook's exclusivity sucks but revive makes it relatively painless to get around that when I've wanted to play something on their storefront, which is more than I can say for Sony.

I'm mainly salty that my otherwise good PC set-up is basically incompatible with VR gaming (2 graphics cards, SLI)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A few of my friends are going crazy over how much better ps4 games on the ps5, and I didn't really get it. Then I remembered that they (smartly?) didn't shell out for the PS4 Pro like I did. That's a much, much bigger gap for them.

The other interesting thing is how everyone I've talked to had a different "Holy hell, Astro is incredible" moment. For me, it was the pitter patter of the rain. Someone else is totally obsessed with the monkey levels and eagerly wants a full game built around that. Metallic floors, wind, sand... seems like everyone is blown away by a different piece.

Someone else also convinced me to give Cold War a go, since the adaptive triggers are apparently crazy cool.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What's the likelihood that Horizon Zero dawn might be patched to 60FPS (and hopefully cut down on that heinous motion blur)?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

New oddworld! Hooray!

"We're so excited to bring crafting to -"

GODDAMN IT NO, GET OUT

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Anime. Anime never changes

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Not a Children posted:

lol no news on Horizon, dang

I'm not getting a 60FPS patch for the first game, am I?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Battlefield looks like its going through what's been happening with Call of Duty, where one developer is supposed to take lead and then for whatever reason other developers have to come in and bail them out/support their efforts.

Compare this to Assassins creed, where I think Ubisoft montreal is marginally listed as the lead developer, but in practice every game gets diced into a billion sections that their army of studios tackle individually.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Hello, I would like to request a remake, or at least a remaster, of classic James Bond game 007: Everything or Nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxSNa8mndE

Playing the leaked XBLA Goldeneye title really has me considering a playthrough of all the James Bond titles again. Everything or Nothing is excellent, as is Nightfire

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

- For those asking how to get a PS5, follow Wario64 on twitter. Pretty much everyone on this thread used that. Walmart seems to have been the easiest to win, but that's anecdotal.

- Astrobot is pure joy and has led me to binging platform games, ironically, not on the ps5.

- The DualSense is brilliant. I can't get over how comfortable it feels, and that's before getting into the nifty adaptive triggers or haptic stuff.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Video games have been $60 for like the past two decades. I'm fine with a small increase, especially given that sales are much, much easier to come by.

The fact that the PS store (and Steam is even better) has a bajillion titles each week on sale means that I don't think I've paid for a full game more than once or twice a year (and that's generally me just wanting to support the IP or developer).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

acksplode posted:

I handcuffed myself to an F5 key for two weeks back in September and never ever did I think I'd look back on it as a good decision

Between PS5, Nvidia cards, and Covid vaccines I've basically lived by multiple push notifications for most of the year

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Man, this thread takes some weird turns.

For real though, is there any good data about physical vs digital sales? I had a job where I was basically on the road 75% of the year (hooray political campaigns!) and that got me to buy digital almost exclusively and haven't looked back since

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

On a different note, Crash 4 looks damned nice on the ps5. So pretty, and the smaller load times makes a solid differernce too

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really like the ps5 interface, even though I do miss the PSX start-up sound that my ps4 always plays since I have the 20th anniversary theme.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Horizon Zero dawn is still my biggest disappointment - the game uses such heavy motion blur that I literally couldn't follow what has happening and got headaches.

I then excitedly picked up the PC port only run into a billion bugs. I hear its much better now, but have soured so much on it already.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A few pages ago someone talked about Spider-Mans DLC and yeah, its... not great.

It is exactly good enough to be worth your time, and nothing more. Doesn't help that the first installment is easily the best, with the other two really struggling to pick up any momentum.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

lol I just tried playing AC Syndicate on my PS5 and whoa nelly there is one hell of a glitch with lighting/shadows, occasionally entire buildings have their shadow models freak out and start flickering like someone's blasting massive strobe lights at you from inside them.

Yeah, it seems like a similar glitch pops up in other games too. Mafia 3 isn't anywhere near as bad, but sometimes certain shadows will turn everything gray and Lincoln breaks down into obvious chunky textures.

Mafia 3 was also a bundle of bugs and glitches on any platform, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Part of the problem is that there's no backwards compatibility on the ps4. I have a friend trying to get into Ratchet and Clank and I realized how screwed he was that the original entries require tracking down either the HD disk (and system) or the original ps2 disks (and system). Nevermind, of course, that Quest for Booty will be lost entirely on the PSN. Sigh.