Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've beaten three Dragon Quest games in the last month and I will hear no besmirchment of turn based combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

To be fair DQXI is the best turn based game.

Pretty much. I'm gonna replay it once I get through VII-IX which will take me approximately forever

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm 20 hours in and taking a little break for Rift Apart. Hell yeah awesome videogaaaames.

DQXI is such a reasonable player friendly game it's sort of jarring. I really wish more games would recap the last bunch of things you did when you start playing. It's so nice! Also rules how you can basically just look away from the screen and do whatever at any point because the game only moves at your decided pace. Even in cutscenes (well, 90% of them, i think the Big Deal ones keep flowing)

DQ is such a comfy series, a lot of the games (XI included) are almost broken up into little vignettes where you go to a town and solve everyone's problems, it makes for nice pacing since you can get through a few hours in an evening and feel like you accomplished something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shammypants posted:

That's certainly an opinion with Civilization, Persona, Xcom, various card games, Advance Wars, Steamworld etc. existing.

DQXI is better than those. Only Civ and Persona come close sorry

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

God of War is better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The company that makes cards against humanity also has been accused of having Blizzard-esque racist and sexist office environment and one of the co-founders stepped down last year after sexual assault allegations

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Raylax posted:

The problem with putting fast forward & infinite HP/Dmg buttons in the FF ports is the real-time investment is an important component of an RPG's balance. Nobody sits and grinds the very first area of an RPG to get to Lv50 because that would take loving days of realtime. So removing the realtime element with those conveniences actively damages the game's balance. Which is fine if you're revisiting and just want to get to all the fun story beats, but it's going to ruin the first-time experience unless you're playing a particularly badly-balanced and grindy RPG

Anyway here's a bad take: I found DQXIS to be a dull slog and gave in after 40 or so hours when it decided it was finally time to insert a storyline after having me traipse back and forth across the entire world twice for no adequately justified reason, and then immediately slammed the brakes back on that story by splitting up my party and telling me to traipse all over the loving world again to reunite them all one by one. I assumed that once the scooby gang's back together the story's next move would be to contrive a fourth reason to trek back and forth across its interminable loving planet in service of eventually reaching a conclusion that would almost certainly be "use the power of friendship to kill god," so I decided I had better things to do like mow the lawn or crawl into a cupboard and scream.

e: I was not, in fact, reading the last page of the thread. This post may have been relevant yesterday

Incredibly cursed post

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

For a lot of RPGs I feel like AI is fine but for something like Persona where resources are very limited early on especially MP, I would never want to relinquish control. That's part of the reason why I played P3 Portable

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

my favourite turn-based game is Chrono Trigger on the Nintendo DS, it is absolute God-Tier

Chrono Trigger is the best game ever made.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arist posted:

Anyway, in regards to grinding: I have probably killed literally thousands of those Dhorme Chimeras that appear in that one desert north of the Library in FF5 because I had to kill Sandworm with four Berserkers as part of the Four Job Fiesta. Two separate times. You pretty much have to just grind to level 45 to do it, and it sucks. I had speedup on an emulator, though, I'm not a monster.

That's rough. I did FJF once and didn't get any berserkers thankfully

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Man I loved BoF3 so much, even BoF 4 is great and fills me with nostalgia but the dragon system just wasn't nearly as interesting in that one.

Still, the character design in both games was so ace.

The spritework in BoF3/4 is absolutely god-tier

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

chaleski posted:

I played maybe an hour of Astro's Playroom and didn't really care about any of it and skipped to Demon Souls instead

So you beat the game?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My dad is from County Derry so I have less of a problem with Northern Irish accents but there's still regional variation up there, like a Belfast accent is different from a Derry accent

The only time I've ever had to put on subtitles for an Irish movie was Intermission where there's a lot of thick working class Dublin accents but also multiple Scottish people playing Irish

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm going up to Antrim next week for a few weeks, might head over to Derry, haven't been there in ages. Nice place.

Last time I went over was two years ago for my aunt's 70th... dying to go back

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Giant's Causeway was created when Fionn mac Cumhaill built a bridge across the North Channel and Benandonner dropped a PS5 on it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thundercracker posted:

Man, Mass Effect 2 looks so good on the PS5. You could see every crevice and skar on Mordin and Garrus' face. The human party members look weird as hell though.

To be fair they always did

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I played ME back on 360 I imported my Shepard from the first game into the second one and he looked way worse lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

FF13 is funny because even the people who genuinely liked it don’t think it’s that good.

I don't think that's true

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FF13 could be summed up by Final Fantasy XIII[a] is a science fantasy role-playing video game developed and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles and later for the Microsoft Windows operating system. Released in Japan in December 2009 and international in March 2010, it is the thirteenth title in the mainline Final Fantasy series. The game includes fast-paced combat, a new system for the series for determining which abilities are developed for the characters called "Crystarium", and a customizable "Paradigm" system to control which abilities are used by the characters. Final Fantasy XIII includes elements from the previous games in the series, such as summoned monsters, chocobos, and airships.

The game takes place in the fictional floating world of Cocoon, whose government, the Sanctum, is ordering a purge of civilians who have supposedly come into contact with Pulse, the much-feared world below. The former soldier Lightning begins her fight against the government in order to save her sister who has been branded as an unwilling servant to a god-like being from Pulse, making her an enemy of Cocoon. Lightning is soon joined by a band of allies, and together the group also become marked by the same Pulse creature. They rally against the Sanctum while trying to discover their assigned task and whether they can avoid being turned into monsters or crystals at the completion.

Development began in 2004, and the game was first announced at Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2006. Final Fantasy XIII is the flagship title of the Fabula Nova Crystallis collection of Final Fantasy games and is the first game to use Square Enix's Crystal Tools engine. Final Fantasy XIII received mostly positive reviews from video game publications, which praised the game's graphics, presentation, and battle system. The game's story received a mixed response from reviewers, and its linearity compared to previous games in the series was mostly criticized. Selling 1.7 million copies in Japan in 2009, Final Fantasy XIII became the fastest-selling title in the history of the series. As of 2013, the game has sold over 6 million copies worldwide. It would be followed by two sequels, Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011) and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Final Fantasy XV is a great and loose and chill video game precisely until the game is over, and then it poops its pants and falls asleep in the poop and no one knows who brought them or who their friends are so they just lay in the poop, sleeping in their own boom boom

:kstare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weird post. The ending to 15 is excellent

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

No, it feels completely divorced from the entire preceding 50 hours of gameplay. The ending, the villain, Luna... none of it feels connected to the game i was playing or to the things I spent most of the game actually doing. "but but but the DLC!" no that loving sucks. i already played the game for 60 hours, I'm not putting another 20 in so I can ret-con the poorly developed characters into good ones.

Nah it’s good. I didn’t even play the DLC

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

I should have gotten the hint when the game started with me struggling to target a scorpion's rear end in a top hat.

The battle system poses as an action RPG, but doesn't have the foundation to handle what it thinks it does. Parry materia that wants me to block at just the right moment? in this mess? If you want to be Dark Souls then you have to do more than just have a roll and block button.

The story adds nothing significant to the original while taking 10 times as long. I got the same story in 7 original in 4-5 hours while actually having fun. 7R is Peter Jackson stretching a 300 page Hobbit to 9 hours.

The materia is boring as poo poo in 7R. What's the most fun combination? Element + Fire? How exciting.

It’s not trying to be Dark Souls, OP.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

We've also been over this ITT, but the original didn't have insipid anime hoots and grunts that just absolutely demolish any semblance of sincerity in every voice acted scene. This game might be japanese but it isn't anime, and having such a huge anime convention showing up alongside these much more "realistic" looking characters just creates this really weird incongruity for me. The graphics are telling me you want me to take this game seriously, the sound design tells me that you do not.

This sounds entirely like some sort of personal hang up issue.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pumped up for school posted:

Looking for a turn-based rpg or tactics, something where I can casually grind for an hour or mainline, then put down for weeks at a time before resuming.

Too soon for a Yak7 replay. I bounced hard off DQ11. I've been toying with a fftactics replay but effort to get it on my tv.

I have ps+ so I should try Persona 5, right? And if I like it, how long should I give it before saying "Royal has some QoL improvements so I can can get for $25 but have to start over"?

Might I suggest Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride for the Nintendo DS.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Geo Fixer posted:

Do I chop off my arm or my leg to buy it? It's so hard to choose.

Neither, you buy a $15 flash cart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Geo Fixer posted:

If I ever figure out how to update my jailbroken 3ds I will do that.

I think you can actually load original DS games straight from the SD card on a 3DS now. I just got a flash cart so I could use it on my DSi XL too