Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I bought a PS3 for Demon's Souls, a PS4 for Bloodborne, and a PS5 for Demon's Souls.

If I was a more rational person this development would probably bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like squishy buttons because they are quieter

But they feel so bad, ew

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Twibbit posted:

Since it is a benefit of ps+, they probably get at least a small payment to incentivize adding these for third parties
You sweet summer child

Edit if the tips vids don't show poison misting allant they done hosed up

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

il serpente cosmico posted:

Does anyone else think Sackboy looks kinda fun? I'm getting a Super Mario 3D world vibe from it.
Yeah it does! I'm looking forward to playing it with my kids; my daughter adored 3D World and played it to death just before my son was born, and now he's old enough to play Sackboy.

Not relishing having to buy 2 extra controllers though, ngl

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

Yeah it looks pretty fun but the console already ships with an Astro Bot game so I'm holding off on it.
When I'm feeling cynical I think about how Astro Bot is embargoed except for one level and I wonder how long/short that thing actually is...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Baggot posted:

A potential solution (not confirmed to work and we won't know for sure until launch) is to install the PS4 version on your PS5 and play it in backwards compatibility mode, which will allow you to use DualShock 4s in addition to DualSenses. The PS5 version of the game will presumably only work with DualSenses.

You can get both versions of the game by buying a digital copy of either the PS4 or PS5 versions (which will each give you access to the other version as well), or a disc copy of the PS4 version, which will let you access a PS5 copy when you put your PS4 disc into the PS5. This obviously won't work if you're getting a PS5 Digital.
Oh yeah that sounds sensible!

My company is owned by Sumo though so I'm going to see if I can blag a code which means beggars may not be able to be choosers :/
Edit: but the cost of the game is literally the cost of one of the DualSenses so you're right I should just do that either way

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

NMS must be one of the ultimate comfort games out there.
I find it very hard to go back to after spending a lot of time with tightly controlling games, though, because the way your character moves is comparatively butt.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

one of the funniest things about the souls games is one of the best guys out there to help you learn them 1) has a stupid name (epicnamebro) 2) has a somewhat heavy southern accent 3) was literally consulted on the strategy guide for bloodborne
And Dark Souls 2. By the time DS3 came out he seemed glad to be able to play them without all that baggage again. It was a shame that he purged most of his old YouTube videos :(

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

the one x could even do it. it's stupid but hopefully will be remedied quick. not counting on it, though.
Well they didn't for years with the PS4 Pro so I'm not holding my breath

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Enjoy your PS5s in a week guys, guess I'll join the fun a week later :saddowns:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

theres a keyboard and mouse setting in the options... :eyepop:
Can the PS4 not use kB+m?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Am I the only one that thinks Godfall actually looks... okay? It's very colourful and looks fun enough. I don't know. Looks neat! :yayclod:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

After 7 years of every game looking like a dayglo abomination I really don't feel like "colorful" is really selling point anymore. it looks passable, but it also looks like everything I don't like about games right now. Basically an RPG that doesn't even look fun to explore because it's just a bunch of dull looking mostly empty arenas.
I don't think there's any gameplay out there yet that doesn't cut away from a scene after like 10 seconds, though, so that seems a little baseless... I'm not saying you won't turn out to be correct but a lot of the distaste I see against that game seems very gut level and based on inference.

I am a little disappointed that its mission based and not open but that might help the pacing of it, I dunno. Cautiously optimistic. We don't have a huge amount of next-gen only games to actually choose from.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I think it might be that I don't think I've bought or played any of the dayglo games over the last seven years

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Gimme dat big boi

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

Digital foundry backwards compat vid. Everything is running flawless 60fps or locked. Some, like sekiro, runs better than xsx at the same res.
I thought Sekiro was checkerboarded on PS5 but native 4K on XSX, not the same res?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nobody's really addressed that far from every game saves exactly where you are and what you're doing all the time. Quick Resume isn't all about loading, it's also about saving.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Takes like Rabidsquids are basically just console warrioring.
I think rabidsquid was just being sarcastic. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

I don't think most people are doing that. More options are obviously always good, its just not something I don't feel is necessary or useful to me.

But sure the PS5 having this feature as well would obviously be a net positive to everyone
okay sure but you previously said "I honestly can't think of a single use case for it where it would make any meaningful difference" and called people megabrains, you really didn't even do the bare minimum of thinking beyond your own wants and needs. Good that you've come around to maybe it's useful for other people but you didn't start this from a very thoughtful place.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

OxMan posted:

been around on the software level since the 360 in 2006. No one ever used it.
That stuff is not the same as the other stuff you listed because developers did use the default options in 360 because it was required that they did. When it's a certification requirement they have no choice.

Let's not piss all over a feature not being used until there's evidence of it not being used, eh? The public has no visibility into whether things are mandated by the platform holder or not so why assume the worst? Unless you like being grumpy and pessimistic...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ethiser posted:

Remake feels like too generous a term for the new Demon’s Souls. It seems like it is 99% the same game with an extremely well done coat of paint. It’ll be good because the original is good, but surely there were some stuff that even the original creators wished they could have tweaked after the fact.
What do you define a remake as if not making the same game again from the same blueprint? Remaking it, if you will?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ethiser posted:

I define it in video games the same way it is defined in movies or television shows. You reuse the same general pieces and ideas, but try to put your own spin on them or tweak them to fit more with the current day.
So this is more of a "shot for shot remake" ala Psycho than The Fly, but by that token the first one is still called a remake...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Could you provide any context for why you think you have a better understanding of what this generation is about than 2nd largest console manufacturer on the planet after Nintendo? “Gosh these silly engineers at SONY are just GUESSING!” Like what dude?

What kind of feedback reception are you anticipating BEFORE IT EVEN LAUNCHES? I don’t understand what kind of fantasy timetable you are working with.
What the gently caress are you talking about? Their reimplementation of features that the PS4 also had now take longer to execute and are more awkward to do. Their own shortcuts from the PS4 were not brought forward. How is that defensible? What are you on?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dewgy posted:

After reading that bit myself, it seems...pretty much the same as it is now? The PS4’s capture options are pretty bare-bones anyway, and it sounds like the only kind of major downside is they took away the “save video clip” square button shortcut in the Share menu. It seems like something that’ll take about ten seconds to get used to, and the fact that it supports 4k60 at all, even if just via manual saving, is a pretty big improvement.
No you could also start/stop by double tapping the button, or you could change what the double tap did, things like that. It's decidedly less functional.

Just because it doesn't impact you that doesn't mean it can't be annoying that it's less functional for someone else.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dewgy posted:

It still functions though??? :confused:
I don't get why people are acting like convenience functions in a UX don't matter in the expensive new console and it's totally fine that they were there in the old one but now aren't.

Obviously it's not a dealbreaker, though. It's still slightly better than the Xbox implementation, which doesn't have the rolling retroactive recording at all.

rabidsquid posted:

i cont remember which game it was but some game i was playing last year or earlier this year was tracking my time played based on time in rest mode and i think i had like 140 hours with actual play time of maybe 30
Deadly Premonition 2 does that on Switch which I guess isn't surprising given that janky pedigree.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fedule posted:

Well, I appreciate your concern for me I guess. I'm glad we can agree that the best practice of core UI features is a kludge, in any case. For my part, I will continue to hold the opinion that this state of affairs is a bit of a shame and ought to be better.

(For all the publicity I'm still not sure how Xbox's approach actually works - does it publish to some service accessed privately by its app? OneDrive implementation? BT/WiFiDirect pairing to console? I don't know, all I know is, your captures show up on your phone, and that's how I'd want it.)
It uploads it to their online service, however that's implemented, automatically. I'm not sure if its a privacy toggle but they're public by default, if I want them on my phone I use the Xbox app, if I want them on my computer I use a site that accesses them through some API. That's only for clips and screenshots, if you want to record longer videos you have to plug in an external USB drive and those ones don't get uploaded.

I wish they just had feature parity... accessing unedited stuff externally is easier on Xbox, but editing things on the console is easier on PlayStation...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah like I just bought a 5TB external because I have data limits and can barely download games once let alone again if I run out of space so hopefully it will take a while to fill it up. Cold storage for games is cool and good and there’s no reason to go SSD for that because 5TB SSD is impossible to get without dropping all your money
They really need to patch in being able to move PS5 games to cold storage ASAP. I wonder how many of the launch games it would take to completely fill that thing. Glad I went with the disc version!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Hate to tell you that the disc is installed to your drive ...
... which is much faster to reinstall than re-downloading a game after deleting it to make space ...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1325890911826423808?s=20

That's nice at least, though it's still weird they're adding this after the fact
At first this was great news because I was thinking I could continue my progress! Then I remembered I sold the PS4 version already so I can't export it...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

idgi, the save should be on your hdd or in sony's cloud right? i know you know its not scratched into the disc
Read the tweet again, it's an update to the PS4 version to allow you to "export" it to the PS5 version. I ain't buying the PS4 version again to continue playing my save on the PS5.

Edit: beaten

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 9, 2020

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

thats dumb. sonys dumb
Goddamnit not as dumb as my dumb typo that you quoted

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The meteoric rise of the perception of raytracing over the past year has been really weird, it's been pushed as this magic bullet to elevate any and all games graphics. At work we've had clients that have pushed us to implement it in games where it's entirely unsuitable, like ray traced shadows in a game that's all untextured surfaces so it just looks noisy and poo poo. Just... Just calm down a bit with the RT, please.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tesh posted:

Does anyone know if Overcooked is actually releasing on Thursday? Every retailer I've looked at either has a placeholder date or no date... but their latest trailer said November 12th for PS5.
Well it's out now for Series X | S and it's supposed to be available at launch for all 3 new systems so... it should be out on Thursday?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Walrus posted:

and at 4k60 too... insane.
That could be the 30fps mode... I hope it does look that good at 60!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I've seen that video but the compression is pretty bad on it so it leaves a lot to the imagination

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The store I preordered Demon's Souls at just charged me.

I truly love that PS5 games are releasing in the UK on the 12th despite the system not coming out until the 19th. Truly stupendous. Perfectly splendid.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

There's no way those are real bids. No way.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

I’ve never had this much trouble getting a console before lol
That's a global pandemic for ya

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

GAME have taken payment for my PS5!!!!
Lucky, I preordered from Very so they took payment instantly. All I get are messages every few days saying "don't worry, everything's still fine" but man!!!! What if it's not fine!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Lol get a usb adapter i guess, mr enlightenment
Are they even available? And why so hostile?