Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

NieR Replicant remaster looks tight af

Just found out that this comes out on My Actual Birthday and I'm delighted.

Now if only they'd release news about a DLC where you can play as Grumpy Dad NieR and not prettyboy NieR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

There's rumours of Curry's and Smyth's in the UK getting PS5 stock at some point soon. Does anyone have any reliable places to keep an eye on for news like this? I just wanna play Demon's Souls so dang bad ;_; in spite of having a PS3 copy literally ten feet away from me

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

UK folks - if you live in the liminal spaces between worlds, you can get a PS5 from Argos!

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1354102649860354051?s=19

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

I have finally managed to get hold of a PS5, principally to play Demon' Souls, a game that I already own. This is the Gamecube/Twin Snakes debacle all over again.

If I have a ~40 inch HDTV about 2/3 metres from my sofa, is it worth upgrading to a 4k set, or at that distance will it be not worth it? I absolutely know nothing about TVs oh god.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

My extremely tepid FarCry take: I was playing 5 a while back, and I basically treated it as a thing to fidget with. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older/grumpier, but I got tired of the spectacle of it all. Chasing someone down in a car, having them get in a plane, and you stealing a plane to continue the chase/engage in a dogfight should be thrilling! That's magical stuff! But actually playing it just left me going "Yes? And?" like some goddamn improviser.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is in the playstation store 'Retros and Remasters' sale until tomorrow, down to £12 in the UK at least. I haven't played it since not-really-jelling with the PS2 version so I'm keen to give another go.

I played SotC on PS2 and loved it. Downloaded the remaster, approached the first Colossus, and thought "you know what? I can't bring myself to do this" so now they're just living happy lives in my PS4, unbothered by a man with a sword and Ideas :3:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

A colossus sitting on the floor with a big cartoon bandage on its head and little bluebirds flying around it

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like I'm finally getting the most out of my PS5 now. Got a fancy OLED TV to play it on, managed to bodge the sound so it plays nice with my amp, and everything looks and sounds beautiful.

So. What am I doing? Flitting between Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, and Horizon Zero Dawn, which means whatever game I'm playing, it feels like there's some vital traversal component missing. It's an absolute brainfuck and I think it's slowly making me worse at All Games.

I love it.

Also: dang No Man's Sky has some good haptic feedback. Yes please.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Catshit & Stank: Snift a Fart

(I am excited to play this cute and colourful game)

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Elden Ring more like Dark Foals

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

PlayStation 5: I bet the horse's high jump serves a similar purpose to the prosthetic grapple.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Well. That would be something indeed!

Alien Isolation could be a halloween game :3:

Scrolling through more of my games I own list and there is also:

Uncharted 2,3,4. Catherine. The Witness. The Witcher 3. Rayman Legends. Until Dawn. Dragons Dogma. Dishonoured. Bayonetta. Days Gone (hehe) Deus Ex mankind divided. Life is Strange. MGSV. Return of the Obra Dinn. Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Sleeping Dogs. Subnautica.

Just a ton of potential.

Return of the Obra Dinn is a super fun game to stream. Highly recommended.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

"autofiltered basement semen" fits the cadence of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I need to get this knowledge out of my head and free into the world

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

It blows my mind that people can record a video like this where they repeatedly cock up, and somehow not obsessively stop recording and start again.

God they must live such blissful lives

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

PSA for people with an older amp that doesn't support ARC/eARC, who have just bought a PS5/new TV! (yes this is a niche group shut your mouth

If anyone, like me, has bought a fancy new TV to go with their fancy new PS5, but is worried about things not playing with their amp/audio setup, hoo boy this is the post for you.

I've got an old (but good!) Sony DH800 amp, and, like a simple man, I enjoy panning the camera around myself in games to hear sounds move from speaker to speaker.

When I got my PS5, I realised that my amp wasn't specced to squirt HDR/4k resolution back to the TV, so I could either have 7.1 surround sound and no HDR, or crappy TV speakers but with pretty pictures. My new TV had e-ARC (which is you're unaware lets you use an HDMI port on your TV as an audio out to an amp that supports it), but, once again, the age of the amp meant it couldn't support that.

After doing some research, I came across this extremely dodgy looking product and site: https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-earc-audio-converter/

For $188 it promises to take the eARC from your TV and gently caress around with it to act as a normal audio input for your non eARC amp! Powered by the USB on your TV, and has a variety of additional outputs/dip switches etc that I'm frantically too scared to touch.

Excitingly though, it works! I've got an LG CX and it works a treat. It took a little fiddling with the TV's & PS5 audio settings, but it actually did what I wanted it to do.

Well worth a try if you've upgraded your TV and are too broke to upgrade your amp as well, IMHO.

Again, this may be a super niche crowd to talk to, but for my exact circumstances it was perfect, and I've not seen many folks talking about it, so I thought I'd share it here.

I'm absolutely not being paid to say this, but if you fuckers are reading this, I'm not a proud man and will accept any and every scrap you'll throw my way

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

To jump back to accent chat from six pages ago, the best trigger phrase for a Northern Irish accent is "Get your knickers down right now". I will be accepting no further questions at this time.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

The continued additional work that has gone into NMS blows my god drat mind.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Potentially dumb question: Hades on the PS5 store has the text you normally have on PS4 games - "Although this game is playable on ps5, some features available on PS4 may be absent" etc.

Is it a PS4 game that can be played on PS5? Is there a PS5 specific version? How did this get here I am not good with computers

Edit: IGNORE ME I'VE JUST BOUGHT IT AND IT GIVES OPTIONS TO DOWNLOAD EITHER THE PS5 VERSION OR THE PS4 VERSION AND I AM A DUMBASS

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

The controller vibrates like a happy dog when you pet Cerberus you god drat apes. You rubes. Buy Hades again god dammit.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Had my first Hades clear on PS5 last night! Was perilously close to getting wrecked, but had the regenerating health boon and the laser crystals with the speed modifier, so the last boss became a game of drop cast>run away>collect cast>repeat. Was surprisingly hard to actually stop myself from walloping him and let the beams do the work.

Was that a cheese? Absolutely. Do I regret it? Not even slightly.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

gently caress the pain maze

Alright, Peaches

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

If we're posting streams, I've just started my first playthrough of Resident Evil 8 on my twitch, if anyone wants to watch a man fully do toilet on stream

https://twitch.tv/brainmage

https://twitch.tv/brainmage

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

I am unnaturally horny for Deathloop. Absolutely loved the Dishonored games, and recently made myself give Prey a proper go, and Arcane can do no wrong.

Related: I love the world of Dishonored. It's one of the few videogame worlds hi Bloodborne!! that I want to learn every little thing about.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This is gonna be so stupid and I'm gonna be all over it like a dog on chips.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

God I would have *hated* that. A spoiler like "Captain Shagnasty kills Woofston Dogg" is fine, because you can at least enjoy watching how it happens. Something that utterly reframes the entire way you see a game world is a genie you can't put back in the bottle.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Spyder, Spyder, burning doom,
In the presence of the moon;
What immortal grants us eyes,
Could frame the old blood's gravimetry

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

:wom:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The year is 2050. Sean is still updating No Man Sky. They have not stopped in decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udDXRQMPyKQ

(New update is out)

I'm blown away both by how much post-release support this game has had, and how loving big it now is, AND how your avatar grooves along to the music in that video :3:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only dudes i don't feel like a bit of a mug donating too on patreon, helps that they put out so much stuff!

I like the Duckfeed boys largely because it's videogame critique with actual good politics. Plus I re-listen to Bonfireside Chat episodes on the reg thanks to my crippling Dark Souls/Bloodborne problem.

God help me I'm sorely tempted to go for the DeathLoop special edition pre-order. Yeah it's twenty quid more but fancy Dishonored machete.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

I've really enjoyed That One Boss Fight in Demon's Souls for that. Bow when you enter? Get a fair fight. Turn up and try and put the bonk on me straight away? You get the treatment.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Dark Souls + The Witness???

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

I had to set up a Discord for my stream once the community grew to a certain extent and I hate and fear it. It's Another Thing On My Phone I Need To Look At, and I honestly approach it with the same horror that you'd open a drawer that you left a sandwich in about nine months ago. Is it a forum? Is it a chat room? What the hell is going on and what do these people want from me? Get off my lawn :bahgawd:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Discord is literally easier to use and less complicated than these goddam bbcode forums lmao

Holy loving tits this made me realise that next year I'll have been a member of this forum for half of my life. gently caress. gently caress you for making me realise this. gently caress.

gently caress

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Wow, you're ancient.

:regd04:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

bovis posted:

Yeah I've heard that there are some lotteries to get the chance to buy one.

I just realised I am shameful and haven't played through Prey... Maybe I should do that before Deathloop comes out!

I played a bunch of Prey, thought "oh this is okay", and then didn't touch it for ages. A couple of months ago I went back to it, started afresh, and had an absolute blast! I want to replay it at some point to use the skill trees I didn't really touch. It's a great game and a really intricately crafted world. Definitely worth your time imho.

Edit: VG - definitely monetise your stream. It turns something that's fun and entirely optional into something that you're screamingly anxious about not doing for an evening because "people have paid for it".

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 7, 2021

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Holy cats I'd love a Micro Machines remaster. I was thinking about that the other day. The MegaDrive and PS1 Micro Machines games were absolutely wonderful (or was I just ten, and things were less terrifying?)

My predictions for the showcase:

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1435873585856487424?s=19

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Total pie in the sky thinking, but a Spidey 2 where you can instantly swap between Peter and Miles in different parts of the city would be rad as hell. Like the character swapping in GTA5, but with the speed/fluidity of Ratchet and Clank.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

and demons souls is full of hints in the credits toward it

Is this true, or am I once again a rube that believes Posts?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

More like Vikar AmeLIAR :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

Oh god. Valtr put out of a job by a tube. The indignity.