Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vikar Jerome posted:

The thing about a souls game is nit knowing a single thing about, even controls or basic poo poo. Its a feature.
The game tells you the controls in the form of developer messages, and the NPCs you talk to tell you where to go. The idea of it being a completely bewildering experience is a product of nobody bothering to talk to anyone or read anything. Especially Demon's Souls whose structure is pretty self-explanatory anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Demon's Souls has an instruction booklet that touches on things like world tendency and weapon upgrades. It doesn't explain anything per se but it at least says that dying and beating bosses change the world tendency and that different enemies might appear at different world tendencies, and that there's a hidden blacksmith for upgrading weapons with demon's souls. You can easily get through the game without looking anything up, you just probably won't be able to find every last bit of content.

The bit of world tendency that really throws people is that when you go online, it shifts towards the server average, which is basically a bug (intended or otherwise) as far as I'm concerned. If you actually want to see the pure white tendency stuff you have to either play offline or never quit the game. That seems like something that they didn't really think through as opposed to a hidden mechanic that they intended you to find out for yourself.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 3, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

bradzilla posted:

I've never understood the battery life complaints about the DS4. I get like 8-10 hours on a charge. Charge it when you're not using it and don't do marathon 12 hour sessions of gaming? :shrug:
The DualShock 3 lasted for days on end. I would say it lasted at least 6-8 times longer than the DualShock 4. Having to charge your controller every day or two was definitely not normal until this generation.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When your controller's battery physically dies, good luck replacing it yourself vs just slapping in a fresh pair of AA's indefinitely.
I have yet to ever experience a controller's battery dying before any of the moving parts (or at all), and besides if it does die, I'm not going to start pumping dollars into it by wasting AA batteries.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The HUD looks fine, the original one was nothing special either

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I liked the serif font better, otherwise I'm struggling to see any way that it is really materially different in a negative way. I like the diamond layout of the quickbar.

Other than this I guess:

CJacobs posted:

The top right corner used to have the level name and number, and an icon that represented its current world tendency in real time, looks like it's been removed outright which is an interesting choice.
I've played Demon's Souls probably 25 times and I didn't realize that icon showed the world tendency :pwn:

edit: really glad that performance mode is 4K with dynamic resolution rather than native 1080p like I feared. My 4K TV will finally have a purpose after two years

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 7, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hakkesshu posted:

No one is going to care about this but it is legitimately bizarre to me that they made the dragon appearing in Boletaria the opening cutscene to the level as opposed to something you encounter after you warp into the level and walk forward a bit.

It is one of the most striking opening experiences in an area in the entire Souls series and now they made it so the player isn’t even there when triggering the cutscene? It is not a huge deal or anything, but it is a pretty strange and unnecessary creative change??
They didn't change that at all. Are you thinking of the Undead Burg in Dark Souls?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hakkesshu posted:

It does sound like they removed the screaming NPC from 3-1 though and I am not happy with that, unless they just removed him for the video.
There's almost no chance they removed Rydell. Why make that assumption based on 30 seconds of footage?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hakkesshu posted:

Because I can’t hear him
Maybe they changed the range at which you can hear him, or had already rescued him in that video. I seriously doubt they deleted any NPCs from the game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Why is password matching fail poo poo? Being able to play with specific people is great

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Akuma posted:

What do you define a remake as if not making the same game again from the same blueprint? Remaking it, if you will?
It sounds like (from their description both in this video and their description of how they did SotC) it's actually the original underlying game code from the PS3 version with their own modular systems on top for rendering, audio, etc. It still qualifies as a remake to me, but it's different than the Resident Evil or Final Fantasy remakes which are actually new games from scratch that implement the same story and gameplay as the original.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Playing a game off of an HDD is an excruciating experience. Having an HDD for cold storage is good though. I got by on my PC with a 256GB SSD with 2-3 active games on it (plus my operating system and programs) and swapping them on and off my much larger HDD for a long time. I will never play a game off of an HDD again though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rad Valtar posted:

I mean if you have the money go nots by why anyone would recommend getting a $150 external ssd when NVMe drives will be coming around the beginning of the year for around $230 is beyond me. We’re talking about playing PS4 games here.
While true, you might also want to use that for PS5 games. PS4 games can still have long load times and SSDs can cut that down fairly significantly, depending on the game. Some people might not care but it makes an easily measurable difference and loading times really suck. Having an external SSD drive to store PS4 games without having to move them back and forth to the internal storage is perfectly reasonable.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Casnorf posted:

Is it possible at launch to entirely fill a terabyte with PS5 games?
I don't know, but the PS5 only has about 660GB of game storage.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

kanonvandekempen posted:

For the people who have played demon souls original, do you think it will hold up for those of us who have mostly played the later from software games? Will gameplay level/encounter design still be good, or will it be slightly outdated by bloodborne et al.?
The level design is very good, but it's not an open-world game. It's semi-broken up into worlds and stages like a Mario game with a single checkpoint at the beginning of each one, though level progress like non-respawning enemies, switches, doors, etc. are persistent across leaving and coming back. There's plenty of exploration and shortcut-unlocking to do within each level in the familiar Souls way, you just don't get the world-interconnectedness which frankly fell by the wayside in Dark Souls 3 anyway.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

anglachel posted:

Item Burden was not very fun, and Dark Souls getting rid of it was a good idea.
Dark Souls getting rid of it was a good idea, but it makes perfect sense in Demon's Souls where you visit the Nexus and Stockpile Thomas after every stage. Having to decide what you want to take, how much room you want to leave for loot, and ration your supplies is a core part of the gameplay.

As far as limiting grass goes, I think it's fine. It should be more permissive than Bloodborne's Blood Vial limitation, since at least you will still be able to carry multiple types of grass.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

You should have infinite room for loot, permanently losing loot because you didn't dump enough poo poo into Thomas beforehand is really bad and should not be allowed to happen

You didn't have to ration your supplies either because you could carry infinite grass with no penalty. And this being the only thing they fixed in the remaster isn't helping
Permanently losing the loot is bad and I hope they fixed that. Grass and other things were never weightless though. True, it's probably not enough to have to worry about it all the time, but all consumable items (if I recall correctly) weighed at least 0.1 (with some stuff weighing 0.2 or 0.3), which could add up if you had tons of everything. This was particularly noticeable for arrows since you generally want to carry as many of those as you can, but it also applied to things like throwing knives and firebombs.

Mainly it meant you had to pick what weapons you wanted to take and which armor you wanted to wear. It's not like Dark Souls where you can just switch into full Havels for a minute if you want to.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GreatGreen posted:

Seems like all they'd have to do is allow users to manually configure the PS5 to output for a 1080p display, at which point the console could automatically use adaptive resolution to lock each game down to 1080p, while also locking in the "fancy graphics" mode by default for each game, and unlock the frame cap to 60 fps as long as 1080p output mode is on.

Basically, as long as adaptive resolution works for each game, it could be possible for the PS5 to be setup to enable "Fancy Graphics 60fps 1080p" mode even as an update in the future.
If you can achieve 60fps at an adaptive resolution above 1080p and downsample it to 1080p, then why would would want to lock the internal framebuffer to 1080p in the first place?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GreatGreen posted:

Good call, wasn't thinking about that.

So yeah instead how about, "if 1080p output mode selected in PS5 config menu, automatically enable Better Graphics mode and move max framerate lock from 30fps to 60fps" then just let adaptive resolution do its thing for effectively free anti-aliasing when available.
That makes more sense, although I have my doubts that a locked 60fps for Good Graphics Mode is necessarily an achievable target even at 1080p, since that mode is where raytracing comes into play. It would likely drop below 1080p60 and start looking like rear end, defeating the purpose and putting more pressure on devs to hit performance targets.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Best Buy Canada just shipped mine out with an estimated delivery date of Monday Nov 16 :negative:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Lobok posted:

Did the other Best Buy Canada goons get theirs yet? I got same day delivery yesterday so hopefully y'all did as well.
It shipped Wednesday and won't be here til Monday. It's sitting in my town right now, doing nothing.

edit: Never mind, literally five seconds after I submitted the post it went out for delivery. Should get it today :c00l:

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 13, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Lobok posted:

Sweet. Godspeed, delivery person!
It just arrived! Now to spend the rest of the day working.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've only gotten to check it out for a few minutes so far but it really does feel amazing from what I've tried, which is just the first few minutes of Astro. Even the "welcome to DualSense" screen where you push the triggers to activate the on-screen jetpack kind of blew my mind. It's not a revolutionary new way to play games or anything, but as far as controller-feel it does seem to be a huge step forward. I'm looking forward to spending the whole day playing Demon's Souls tomorrow.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

il serpente cosmico posted:

Anybody else having occasional crashes in Demon's Souls? I've had it crash back to the UI a few times now. It isn't a big deal because no progress was lost, and I'm assuming that there will be some stability issues with a new game on a new system. I do have an external drive plugged in, and I'm wondering if that could be causing stability issues, too?
I've had one crash that happened while leveling up, no external drive. I assume it's just a bug in the game and not anything with the PS5 itself.

Did Demon's Souls always have no fall damage on enemies? There's high platform towards the end of 1-1 where you can knock a crossbowman off and he falls like 70 feet and doesn't even take chip damage from what I can tell. But then the player also seems to take a lot less fall damage than what I'm used to from Dark Souls games so maybe I just haven't played Demon's Souls in long enough that I'm forgetting things.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 16, 2020

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
What "resume progress" feature are you referring to? The one on the activity cards? I tried that a couple of times and it was just a quick warp to whichever archstone was associated with the activity, and it didn't even work if the game wasn't already open (it just took me to the intro cinematic). It didn't seem to do anything related to restoring a previous save or anything. Could it have been a coincidence and your save was hosed up in some other way?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

Man, the dualsense battery life is dire. I feel like the DS4 which already had the worst battery life of any controller lasts twice as long.
I've had the complete opposite experience. I didn't even charge it when I first got it and it lasted two days of pretty intense playing, probably twelve hours total before it gave me the low battery warning. DualShock 4 only lasted like four hours on a full charge.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

Hmmm. Mine lasts like, 3 hours. Starting to wonder if I got a bad one.
Maybe it depends what you're using it for, but I just played Hollow Knight for three and half hours and it's still at three bars.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

il serpente cosmico posted:

Speaking of Hollow Knight, I gave it a shot last night for the first time on console. I played the poo poo out of it on PC, and it's one of my favorite games.

Holy poo poo - the input lag on PS4 / PS5 is really bad. It isn't just me, either - the devs have commented on it and said it's because of the way Unity handles V-Sync, and there isn't anything they can do about it aside from turning it off, which would cause tearing, of course. It's an issue that affects all console versions of it. I played it on PC afterwards to make sure I wasn't misremembering, and I'm not. It felt buttery smooth on PC. If anyone is interested in it, I would recommend the PC version with v-sync turned off in-game. You can still use v-sync through your graphics card's settings. I can't imagine trying to do some of the more challenging parts of that game with that much input lag, holy moley.
According to the devs, the game was designed around the input lag imposed by V-sync, which should be the same across all platforms aside from PC with V-sync off, so it shouldn't actually make the game harder than intended. I hadn't really noticed it to be honest. But then, I'm not to the insanely hard precise parts of the game yet. I also played on Steam but I can't say for sure if I had V-sync on or not.

Either way, I'm loving the way it looks with PS5's auto-HDR mode.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Mine is sitting on the floor next to the old tower I have plugged into the TV and yeah, it's nearly the same size in terms of depth and height. I don't really mind the size for what it's giving me in return. My only complaint is that the included HDMI cable is not long enough to reach from directly beside the TV stand to the HDMI port on the back of the TV, so I have to use the one I was using for the PS4. It seems to be fine, but I see a lot of people saying you really should use the included one, so hopefully I'm not unknowingly missing out on something.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Red Warrior posted:

Unless your TV is capable of 4K at 120Hz, no, the included cable is not necessary. If you had a Pro or slim PS4 the cable from those should at least support 4k 60Hz with HDR if your TV does that.
Thanks for the info. I think my TV is just 4k60 and HDR is definitely working so it seems all good.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
RDR2 makes the classic mistake of "more knobs and gauges and longer, more detailed animations = more immersive" when the exact opposite is true. Obra Dinn is the most immersive game I've ever played I think, RDR2 among the least. It sure is gorgeous though. And the hunting and side stuff is fun.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

punished milkman posted:

i’ve had this happen several times to me now from rest mode. each time i boot it up after this bug, the console tells me i turned it off wrong and it does some file system repair junk. hopefully it gets patched soon
This happened to me the other day, I had assumed my power flickered or something. It wouldn't turn on with the controller, I had to walk over and push the button on the front, at which point it told me it hadn't been shut down properly. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Akuma posted:

I'd forgotten how bullshit the Dragon God is. When I make souls boss videos I usually keep in the full length of my first attempt, then quick 1 second cuts of each death, then the full winning attempt. I haven't had to do this for Demon's Souls yet because I beat all the bosses to now (7 of them) first try (second for one of them, actually) but loving Dragon God. Still less than 10 tries I think but grrrrrr.
Two-hand your sword to make chopping the debris faster, and only run when the dragon is looking in the opposite direction. It should work every time as long as you're quick.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
4-2 is the only level in the game that I actually consider a bad level. It's basically a straight line of narrow hallways and narrow walkways, has damage sponge enemies that block your path, and not much else. It's everything a Souls level shouldn't be. Great for farming souls though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The first time I played Demon's Souls was after playing like 250 hours of Dark Souls on PC (which is what motivated me to get a PS3 in the first place), and I died twice in the entire playthrough, both times from falling off ledges.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've mostly used my PS5 to play Hollow Knight. I do not regret my choices.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Policenaut posted:

The more things change the more they stay the same. The poison swamp in DeSR performed terribly when I got down to it and it wasn't until I got up out of that mire did the performance improve.
Were you in cinematic mode or something? I didn't notice a single frame dip in the entire game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TheCenturion posted:

Gimmie the option for fidelity 1080p-60hz.
Not saying it can't happen, but I'm pretty sure the raytraced reflections are already computed at a much lower resolution than the screen is drawn at, so the barrier to 60fps may not just be in the raw number of pixels.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The dumbest thing about the PS5 UI I found tonight is that a trophy popped but when I clicked the PS button to see what the trophy description was, it went to the home screen for some reason instead of expanding the popup (I guess I held it for a split second too long?), and then there was no way to find the trophy again without going into my user profile, finding the trophy section, finding the game, then sorting by most recently used. Who thought it was a good idea for the game card list to show a bunch of trophies I don't even have and not show me anything about the trophy I just got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Handsome Wife posted:

I agree it's bad but you should be able to see the details of the last trophy you got from your notification list, FYI.
Are you sure? I can't check at the moment, but that's the first place I looked and it just had a bunch of stuff about things being added to my download list. Is it a separate section or something?