Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Love thinking about the insides when looking at the outsides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

So when can we start pre-loading the digital version of PS5

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Thinking I need to get a new haircut so I can game properly on the PS5. What haircut can I get to be my ultimate gamer?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

*emails the last five pages to the mods*

:hmmyes:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Missed a real opportunity not going with Ryzing there. Z's make things realer

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

e:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Hey, guys....have you heard?

The PS5?

It's real big

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Has anyone else gotten stuck on the "Please wait..." screen when trying to transfer data from the PS4? I've got them connected via ethernet cable and they're both signed into my profile, so it's finding the PS4 but then just hanging on the wait screen

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Jeez, Miles looks absolutely amazing on a 4K screen. I guess it's obvious that you weren't going to really get how good it would look watching 1080p YouTube videos or whatever but I'm pretty stunned by it in motion

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I liked Days Gone quite a bit, acknowledging that it's not the most creatively inspired game and there's general jankiness to every part of it. But I'm a sucker for any Pacific NW setting, the motorcycle (eventually) feels great to ride around on, and the combat feels pretty good, especially with the hordes later on. Looked great on PS4 and I imagine it's silky smooth on PS5.

As mentioned you can tell they took a moral choice system out of the game late and it leads to some really funny, awkward cutscene pauses where you can see exactly when those choices were supposed to happen but never do. There were a lot of times when the main character's mood swings wildly while you're driving around the open world talking to your buds on the radio, which is also unintentionally funny but entertaining. And you call your best friend in the game The Boozeman without any irony and that's awesome.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'd like to see more games take good advantage of the card system. I was finishing up some Miles Morales trophies and being able to select missions and zap to them instantly was neat

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'd bet many monies that there will be an announcement relatively soon about a PS5-enhanced version of TLOU2 with some sort of Visual/Performance modes + Factions. It'd be nice to not pay more for a kiiiiiinda nicer looking TLOU2 but after the Spider-Man Remastered paid upgrade I fully expect ND to go this route.

Factions still gonna be worth it though :getin:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Are there any games worth keeping HDR actually ON for?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I assume the answer is no but worth checking anyway. Can you download a game on PS5 digital if you only have the PS4 version on disc?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm sure about 80% of the reason Avengers wasn't a big hit is because its character designs were the equivalent of

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I did like how Shadow let you adjust the difficulty settings for combat, exploration and puzzles. Exploration was a lot more immersive without the ubiquitous yellow or white CLIMB HERE places in the environments that most games have these days

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Next time someone needs help with the Tommasi fight in Control just tell them to git gud Game Help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pKsk2MkKn8

I didn't know this was even a PS5 feature but this article on Game Help in Control shows how it can be used for help with puzzles or getting lost. I doubt it's a feature that will be very popular because it's not an obvious thing to look for at all but still, kinda neat I guess

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Got back into God of War after it was patched and for a while I was wondering why I had originally liked the combat so much. It really does take a while (basically until you get runic attacks) before you actually start feeling powerful in fights. It still takes too long but I guess they want you to get used to fighting with the axe, shield, throws, bare handed, etc. for a while. But once you hit that point with some leveling up and get used to switching up between the combat styles that's when it gets fun

Dunno if it's the best build but wearing runic armor and using the runic refresh talisman makes most fights pretty effortless - the fully upgraded frost giant frenzy is very satisfying :getin:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

SoulsBoring

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I was supremely bummed out by Legend of Zelda 2 and Castlevania 2 back in the 80's. They were too hard and too obtuse to figure out for my small, undeveloped brain :(

It's pretty easy to spot which games are going to be disappointing these days so it's been a while since I've been let down by anything. I guess maybe that the rebooted Tomb Raider sequels (Rise and Shadow) tipped more towards tedious instead of fun. I really loved the first Mordor game too but never even bothered with the sequel because it didn't sound like what I wanted from an iteration on that gameplay at all

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Underwater combat is my biggest concern with HFW. I don't think I've ever played a game where that hasn't been an absolute drag, beginning with the nightmare that is TMNT on NES

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Ham posted:

Though in that case TLOU makes a point of saying the US military bombed the cities outside the quarantine zones, so it's not so much natural degradation.

Yeah, that big open area you play in about an hour into the game got bombed to hell

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm sure they're going to put a big focus on the making the boss encounters much more unique for Dad 2 now that they have the engine and combat established

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

FF7R in 4k, wowie zowie :captainpop:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Wanna hang with this guy. Bell for a head, bowl for hair

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I'm late on getting around to playing it but really enjoyed Metro Exodus. Looked great and had excellent performance on the PS5. Hadn't played the other games in the series but dug the world and story. It was cool having the focus on the train and its merry little band but at the same time drat this was a chatty game - definitely the most dialogue I've ever seen for an FPS.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the more open world areas and assume that the first two games are more linear and focus more on the atmosphere & lore of the world, which I really liked. Is Metro Redux worth playing or are those older games a little too creaky to play at this point?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finished and quite enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy last week. I was pretty surprised when it was getting good reviews because it had that awful, cringeworthy trailer a few months ago but it was good fun! The combat is basically a more frantic Mass Effect, managing power cooldowns and trying to combo/stagger everything. The story was decent and while the dialogue was hit & miss there were enough hits to make it entertaining. Looks great, fun exploration and lots of varied environments as well.

It's surprisingly long and the later chapters are super combat heavy, which was right about when I was getting over the amount of combat but by then you are so powered up they're all a breeze. There's probably TOO much talking, to the point where you're just wandering around on missions and conversations keep getting dropped because you stumble into another story beat or encounter which stops the conversation for a new one. So if you want to hear all the dialogue you're constantly stopping just to let it all play out before moving forward but then that feels weird and probably not really worth al the time it takes to stand there to listen.

Anyway, fun game overall and I'm sure there'll be a good sale on it in the holidays for anyone interested in checking it out.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finally getting into Disco Elysium after having it on my list for the last few years and played through the first day and am adoring it so far.

A little stressed about the ticking clock though. I love reading through every piece of info & dialogue but keep looking at the time. Should I not worry about that too much? I know I'm already going to give this game a few different playthroughs in different styles but it'd be nice to know I don't need to rush through anything.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The side quests/characters in HFW are much more memorable so far. They did motion capture for all of the important conversations and that helps a lot for characterization and flair, plus the goals for the significant quests aren't just go here/kill things/come back

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Arist posted:

MGS2 rules

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The PS5....it has games

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

There is no : in Horizon Forbidden West

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Finished up Horizon Forbidden West today, just a lovely experience. Excellent follow-up to HZD - more of the same greatplay with some QOL improvements, gorgeous visuals, great VA, much improved side-questing and the story kept me intrigued (not quite as good as unravelling the main mystery of HZD but good enough with some nice twists). I know some don't like the more sci-fi route the story went but I loved it.

It's too bad the release timing means that HFW will sorta get lost in the nerds going crazy over Elden Ring but it'll still sell like gangbusters and I'm looking forward to the next one. Since I'm also a nerd I put in some time with Elden Ring but after the 3rd time I accidentally drank a flask when trying to be stealthy I realized I need to let some time pass between HFW and really getting into ER.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Okaayyyyyy, I'm into Elden now. I had tried the original Demons's Souls way back in 2009 when it first came out but only made it a couple of hours or so. Just didn't like the difficulty and repetition. Skipped all the Dark Souls games, tried Bloodborne and made it about 10 hours in before stopping, just never really felt it. I did enjoy watching an LP of it because the setting and lore was so cool but hated actually playing it because I just didn't feel like I was playing it right.

I gave Elden a go last weekend but I was so into Horizon and nearly finished with it that the Elden controls were giving me fits and I couldn't get into the world. Finished up Horizon, took a few days off from gaming and gave Elden another go today and played for 8 hours straight!

I think what's sucked me in this time is that with the open world nature I can gently caress off and do a bunch of other things when I encounter a huge obstacle - but I've also got over the death aspect. When I die now, even if I lose a bunch of runes, I don't care that much and know that the knowledge gained is more valuable than the souls runes. I know that's cliche but I finally figured that out tonight after reading it so many times. I suppose maybe that's just easier to swallow when you can take your pony and take off in the complete other direction and find something new to figure out.

Anyway now I cheese everything I can, laugh when I die, run around like a madman hoovering up items, don't understand what is actually happening and enjoy it all. Great game!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Took me 15+ tries to take down Margit, a little later Godrick is done in the first try. Spent the next 30 minutes being summoned to other worlds to help them beat Margit, he's a real bastard and it's good just getting past him

Playing as an Astrologer has been pretty fun so far but it's a bummer that most of the mini-bosses in the game reward you with melee weapons you'll never be able to use. Looking forward to next game as a massive sword dude

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The Elden Ring map is ridiculous. You spent a lot of time with it at a certain size and you get to a new area and all of a sudden it doubles in size. Not to mention the underground areas...

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Is there a term for when you very nearly take down a Soulsborne boss (like 2-3 hits left) in the first couple of tries but then spend the next 20 tries not even getting close? That's happened a surprising amount of times for me in ER

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

I started joining in on co-op fun in ER in the mid-game, usually after finishing areas solo just to give the host some help, and it was generally a good time even with or because of the invasions.

But in the late game I've tried random co-op out several times and even with 3v1 scenarios we seem to be getting demolished right away. Invasions also happen right away before even getting a chance to progress towards a boss. Is there some kind of exploit going on or is it just extremely high-level invaders?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The end of that questline definitely got a good :wtf: out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

Harriet Carker posted:

the HD rerelease was a total disaster and isn’t worth playing.