Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just got a ps5 and the useable hard drive space is so small. How's the performance with an external hdd? Any recommendations?

It's not in the OP, at least I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I can always use the external hdd for other things. I went ahead and bought a Samsung T7.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I'm having a blast going back to games that run at 60fps on ps5. Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Sekiro, and Dark Souls 3 off the top of my head.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Flayer posted:

It's amazing that there has been clamour for a FF7 remake since before the PS3 launched and when they have finally got round to it, it's in part game chunks. If they start releasing it in mini-sodes I reckon we'll see the full game for the launch of the PS7 in 2034.

I guess we will really see the staying power of FF7. I can't imagine the next few chapters selling as well as the first part did based off of how that one ended and episodic games in general.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I've been flip flopping between two different Ubi games, Division 2 and Watch Dogs Legion, and it feels so awful to go from Div 2's 60 fps to Legion's 30. I never thought I'd really become a frame rate guy but it's so stark that I can't ignore it.

Division 2 is 60 fps on ps5? Definitely gonna redownload that when my external drive comes in

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Trials of Mana was good. Not especially challenging either in terms of the gameplay or what it expected from you, but enjoyable and most importantly IT WAS SHORT. I want Angela to get her own spinoff RPG, she's too good of a character to waste on one 25-year old remake.

So many games I can think of that would benefit from being shorter.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Diablo 3 has been kind of boring and I'm only on act 2. I need to just power through everything.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Loot games are mostly the antithesis about what I enjoy about games. When I play them I feel like it's trying to replace what I like about video games with a slot machine. problem solving, immersion, just getting into the experience...picking up something off the ground and seeing a bigger number/shinier color does nothing for me. it all feels like smoke and mirrors to maintain a consistent game balance that never changes while making you feel like you have "grown" because some numbers have gone up not because the game itself has done anything interesting or challenged the player.

Like I said I don't hate Diablo 3. I played it quite a bit when it was poo poo on PC at launch, and then quite a bit again on PS4 and even switch after it was better. it's kind of a fun game to kill 20 minutes with, but I don't find it compelling at all. And saying "well you can power level or just start with a high level character" is something that puts me off it way more than it's a selling point.

100 hours is an exaggeration but the point is that people always say to skip as much of the game as possible to "get to the good stuff". I guess my question would be, what gets better at that point? I played it a ton at the hardest difficulty in both the campaign and adventure mode from scratch because I enjoy starting new characters in games and doing things on my own without piggybacking off other players or taking free buffs. Does doing greater rifts somehow change the loop to something more than just spamming abilities and heals somehow? I never got deep into any of that stuff but if it somehow makes the game more interesting, why isn't the whole game like that? And how is it more interesting? That's a genuine question and not a gotcha or anything, because I really don't know and would like to know if the game transforms itself in some way I'm not aware of.

I feel like this about end games. I feel like I need a reason to do what I'm doing. So when people say that the end game of loot games sucks, I'm just always puzzled because most of the end games I have played is just replaying the same content to make numbers go up. Although I will admit that division 2 rehooked me with its manhunt stuff

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just beat Spider man Miles Morales and that was the perfect length for a game. Too much collectible bs still though

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

Does the pinball game let you have the ps4 version installed and the ps5 version so you can buy new physics/lighting/raytraced versions ad hoc?

I started playing control tonight and so far a couple hours in, I'm not massively impressed with the story. The presentation is visually very slick, but the throaty 'ah, but you know why I'm here... Dont you' voiceover is annoying. Like no obviously i don't but you're talking to a voice in your head. It's very faux mysterious, really forced. That's not what david lynch or other directors who play with this style do.
I love abstract cinema and art house movies, but I find it annoying when the game/movie/story witholds & teases information from me - as the protagonist, that the protagonist already knows.

I beat control and I still never figured out what was going on. I guess it wasn't a game I really played for the story.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The trigger effect in control is terrible. Also, it's so hard for me to go back to games with unsteady frame rates. I really want to play Outward again with smoother gameplay.

I'll probably suck it up but Outward and Remnant were surprisingly entertaining for me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hopper posted:

Wouldn't it be easy for them to have a menu option "suspend run" which creates a save file that's inaccessible to the player and shuts down the game. Next time you start you select "Continue run", it reloads your progress and wipes the save?

That way you can't saves scum because it is a one time use savestate.

That can't be so hard to program?

This would just lead to people losing progress if the game crashed. It should just auto save on death.

But it is all pointless. If people want to cheat, they will cheat by using ps plus save system

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't installed RE:Verse yet, but it looks almost exactly like the total failure of a multiplayer game they packed in with RE3 just a year ago. Which frankly had a better concept than Reverse does. Ill give it a go since it's free but I'd be surprised if it wasn't deleted in an hour. probably says a lot that I can't even find any reviews or impressions online that aren't from the closed beta.

It's weird, especially considering how well they have been doing with the series overall, how much capcom still wants multiplayer RE to be a thing, and how out of touch they are with trying to make it happen. Like, they could probably just make an RE co-op horde game and it would do allright, but they are so set on PVP stuff no one wants. Also locking it behind a purchase of RE8 seems like suicide. The last one that came with RE3 was populated for like 2 days.

Either way I haven't actually played it so maybe I'm rushing to judgement but it's doesn't look very good.

Just give me Operation Raccoon City again. I kind of liked that game

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gotta have time to create a multiplayer mode nobody will be playing 3 months from launch!

Didn't a completely separate team work on the multiplayer? The original wasn't a long game by any means either. The biggest crime is that they took out mercenaries.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think Returnal is the only game I have played so far outside of Astros playroom where the triggers didn't feel awful. I tried playing with them on Re8 and I had to turn them off

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Thauros posted:

the order i played the series in was 0-4-5*-k1-6-k2-3-7 and i still enjoyed kiwami 1 a great deal. combat felt more refined than 4 to me. 4 in general was the one that felt like a huge step back to me coming off of zero while 5 did not in the slightest.

*i bought a used ps3 to play 4-5 digitally after owning a 360 when that gen was current

I hate the combat for anyone that isn't Kiryu or Akiyama. I also liked Kiwami 1 because it was short and focused.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Accessibility is really just starting to take off and it has to be planned for. As time goes on, we are probably going to see more and more accessibility options that make it so more people are able to actually finish the games being played.

Also, I sort of liked Fortnite when it was PvE.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Pretty sure the big twist in the first game is where you begin wanting to kill ted faro

All the (Horizon Zero Dawn spoilers) Ted Faro stuff is so disappointing to me. When I initially played through the game, I felt like his final act was heinous but a lot more nuanced than "he just wants to cover every thing up". But according to goons, that is what almost everyone else read into it. It just feels so one dimensional and mustache twirling

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's Moustache-twirling about a tech billionaire who couldn't stand the idea that future-humanity would see him as a monster and destroyed the sum of mankind's knowledge to protect his own brand image in the ultimate capitalistic PR move?

Because its just so basic. It takes what was essentially a more nuanced approach to just bad guy does bad things because he is bad.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also literally not why he says he is doing it unless I missed a secret Ted Faro audiophile where he contradicts the other reasons he gave

I really like his self doubt that the new plan won't just lead to the same outcome because of the human element. Someone who genuinely thinks they are doing the right thing but in the most awful way possible.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

faro was blatantly trying to use grandiose language to cover up his petty, mewling insecurities, which is a large part of the reason why his actions were so reprehensible. sobeck has his number right from the beginning, when she gets him to bankroll zero dawn by threatening to let everyone know his software was responsible for the apocalypse. it's the threat to his ego and self-image that has him capitulate to sobeck, and it's the very same thing that has him wipe ARTEMIS clean

there's nothing "supervillainous" about him, he was just another sniveling chump who couldn't see past the end of his own nose

I never got that interpretation at all, even if it was so blatant. Like I said, that interpretation is dull as hell and really disappointing to me. I mean, he thinks of himself as doing something horrible and his mind shattered from that. He then starts doing whatever he can to attempt to prevent the same mistakes from ever happening again, which is why he looks at the Alphas which such contempt. Faro's insistence on a killswitch showed to me that he didn't want to have the same mistakes of the past. I especially hate the notion that Ted Faro is just frozen somewhere so he can be the series villain even though I feel like he did what he needed to do as a character and new villains should evolve off of his actions

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 28, 2021

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Protip: capitalists are loving idiots and never give them the benefit of the doubt that they are thinking something sophisticated

Nuance is always better and usually more accurate than stuff like this.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Playing Demons Souls after Dark Souls makes Demons Souls hilariously easy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the point that cemented my interpretation of Ted Faro was the conversation where he is arguing with Sobeck about adding a kill switch, which she eventually does. He doesn't want to get off scot free, he honestly thinks that wiping everything out is what is best for human civilization to the point where he wants a failsafe to avoid the predicament that everything up to that point put them in.

I don't buy into the Ted Faro Destroyer of Earth stuff because that is not how people think when it comes time to play the blame game, because there will be plenty of blame to go around.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bust Rodd, blackguy32, let me try rephrasing it for you;

(And I'm gonna pre-empt and say this isn't a jab at you guys, I'm just trying to emphasize the extent of the story beat)

How would you feel if future generations would forever know you as "That Guy; The Horse-Fucker"? You tell people you are not a horse-fucker, to yourself you do not believe you are a horse fucker, but future generations long past your death will know, in text, in meme, and in HD video footage, of the one night you got blackout drunk and hosed a horse by accident. Your legacy for all time will be to be known to all that That Guy That hosed A Horse.

You can make it all go away by irretrievably deleting the internet, at the expense of destroying billions of lives and the global economy, at the push of a button in front of you.

Try it this way; Why do you think groups like fascists and conservatives reallly hate journalism painting them in a bad light? Also all the blame starts and ends with Faro, because it was known globally as The Faro Plague consisting of Faro Robots made by Ted Faro. After Sobeck told him repeatedly on-record that this was exactly what would happen. It was demonstrably entirely Ted Faro's fault.

I feel like this doesn't have the power that you think it does, especially with current events. Fascists and conservatives hate journalism painting them in a bad light because it hinders their power, not because of anything like legacy. Also, a gently caress up of this magnitude is usually the result of a lot more than one person.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dude, you landed right in the orbit of getting the point with your own prior post;

But there is a point where Ted Faro changes from the old Ted Faro to something else. I think that is the point that Bust Rodd is getting at. At some point he goes from self-preservation to doing what he legitimately he thinks is right for humanity as a whole.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh ok I get what you guys are saying, see for me I thought that was sort of Faro’s arc, as it were. The “Grey Goo” Faro is the cartoonishly evil & greedy one who destroys the world, but then fragging Artemis is SUPPOSED to be his coming to Jesus moment, that’s what he believes the answer is, that’s how he believes he is going to save everyone from themselves.

That’s why I think it’s so compelling, because the reason we all so emphatically state gently caress TED FARO isn’t because of the machine plague, it’s because of what he did to ARTEMIS (at least that’s what I’ve always thought goons were referring to!), which is what he thinks of as “good”. That seems like a much cooler villain to me, the villain who actually destroys the world and feels so bad about it that he tries to “fix” it and manages to actually make things even worse.

This is exactly my interpretation as well. Faro thinks he is partially redeeming himself, not trying to cover up what he has done. He legitimately thinks that mankind will make the same mistake if they get the same knowledge as before.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Out of interest, what makes this the more interesting version of the story for you? That feels pretty thematically empty and doesn’t fit with the overall themes of the story at all. In comparison to the self-preservation version, it’s not a story with much to say.

Because self preservation of what? Everyone is dead. He will be dead. He is trying to make sure this never happens again, which is why he tells Sobeck to add the failsafe. It is much more of a interesting story than capitalism and capitalist = bad and will always be bad forever and ever.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

This is more about people’s capacity for self-delusion than anything else imo. There’s no way Faro deep down genuinely thinks he’s doing the right thing, even if he’s trying to convince himself he is.

Why not? I can point to a bunch of people in today's political landscape that honestly think they are genuinely doing the right thing and no matter what you tell them will convince them otherwise.

fridge corn posted:

Yeah the only difference really between the two interpretations is whether or not Faro actually buys in to his own delusions or not

But this is a huge difference. Like there is a ton of nuance in between those two positions.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

In any case, I power gamed through HZD so hard that I burned myself out on it and I never got the chance to play Frozen Wilds. I probably should do that although I hear people say its much harder than the actual game which makes me kind of nervous.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought the gameplay and weapons were better than base game but after the lush and colorful environments of the base game the frozen wilds is a seriously boring mini-chromatic slog and I thought it had the worst missions in the game. Worth playing if you already own the game or if you absolutely LOVED the base game and just need more, but the people listing it as, like, must own The Old Hunters level DLC are frontin’

Yeah, I own it with the complete edition of HZD since I was a late comer. It's funny because when I first started playing HZD, I didn't really like it all that much. It wasn't until I forced myself to go to Merdian and had the opportunity to equip all the different kind of arrows on one bow that I started to enjoy it a bit more.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, this is what I was attempting to convey earlier. Trying to parse the nuance of his motivations and whether he's "truly evil" or just delusional as if to peg him on some abstract moral scoreboard is futile from a literary analysis perspective because he's mainly there as a foil to Sobeck and as an archetypal figure of hubris.

And it certainly shouldn't be done to apply it to the real world because, just like when someone is harassing or abusing or making people's lives worse in real life, intent doesn't matter, the material consequences of his actions move like clockwork

It's ok to have a different interpretation of media. I mean at this point I'm just going to agree to disagree because I honestly think the story becomes much worse when I think about the other interpretation.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So has anyone played EDF World Brothers? I really liked the one on 360 but had to stop playing because the ant models on that game freaked me out.

But now that it's voxels, I don't think it will be a problem. Is it good?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Its amazing. Im loving it. The new way weapons works is the ideal system theyve been missing.

You rescue themed characters like the cast of w101 and get their weapons and accessories added to your armory and when you rescue duplicates of the same character they level up and can start to use guns outside of their specialty

Each themed character has a secondary ability and unique ult ability and you build a 4 character team and swap between them at will as you play.

Its great.

I guess, Ill buy it since it is on sale at least until next week before going back to normal price. Thanks for the info.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The faces never looked right in HZD for me. It was something about how characters would always looked like they were focused on one point but the rest of their face was trying to emote and it looked off.

Like the eyes never move with the rest of the face even though the face is moving all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

The only thing that will make a person really look like that is the covid vaccine.

It makes me think of moon face from long term corticosteroid use.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Feature-wise, the DS5 knocks the DS4 out of the water. Ergonomically, I think it's a noticable step backward, and every time I randomly pick up a DS4 at someone's house my brain is zapped with a pleasant endorphin rush. I've said this since day 1, and I have gotten quite used to the DS5 so far, but I'm definitely in the minority on this one.

I like everything about the ps5 but the triggers. A lot of games I just turn them off because they feel like poo poo. RE8 I'm looking at you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

TLOU2's accessibility options are very cool as whole and worthy of the praise they received for it, but I find their approach to them with grounded difficulty absolutely bizarre. First off the mode turns off all of the toggles you can normally use because they are "not available in grounded" Cool. Makes sense. But then there is a whole host of other options under "combat accessibility" that are still available, and all of it is absolutely just pure easy mode stuff.

So I got pissed off at this part because the human enemies are so goddamn perceptive and flank so much it makes some of the encounters brutal and I just went in and turned them all on out of frustration, and the results are pretty hilarious. You can make enemies miss every shot and not see you until you are an inch away from them, not flank, make it so there's no weapon sway, make yourself invisible etc etc. If you turn them on the game is basically unlosable and comes off as comically unpolished. But I finished the part I was stuck on easily. and after my brief "haha suck it, game" moment, it just felt totally deflating that those options are even there, tempting me, and I felt like I had just cheated myself. It's not even stuff that would help someone with a disability, it's just stuff to make the game super easy. And I can't help but wonder why they even have that poo poo available in the super hard mode. it's exactly the kind of temptation I don't want there. it kind of ruins the appeal.

Anyways, single player game, play how you want or whatever but I think it's very distracting to put a mode in a game with the purpose of it being very hard and than giving players the ability to just make it piss easy if they want. I don't even get who this is for? People who want to say they played something hard without actually doing it? I like a bit of masochism but I am weak. Don't give me options like this where I can just take the easy way out in a mode where the entire point is not being easy.

There are plenty of legally blind people that play video games which is who a lot of those options are for.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I remember Evil Within 2 adding invincibility and one shot kills to the game and it allowing you to get trophies and unlocks with it.

That being said, I absolutely think that kind of stuff should be options if it will allow more people to finish the games they play.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Look, the dude is obviously frustrated with the game atm, what is the point of sniping and dogpiling the post, just move on

I mean I'm not trying to dogpile anything. My first post was explaining what kind of person might need options like that and my second was saying games should just allow more people to play them if they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I just beat edf world brothers and its sick as gently caress

I bought it based on your recommendation but I can't play it til I'm back home with my ps5. I'm gonna try to convince my friend to buy it.