Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Pla...uAAAOSwzEpf73TE

Hi thread, so wtf is up with this price? It's definitely a con, just trying to work out what the deal is. My guess would be that the £500 just pays for the shipping. I'm obviously not going to bid, or send him a loving WhatsApp for more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Either way, I'm super excited for when the next batch of ps5s get released and I can buy one and, fleetingly, forget about the state of my awful, disease-ridden Brex'd country.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So I read online somewhere that Sony are going to be releasing 18m extra ps5s like... This week. However, I now can't remember where I read it, and can't find anything backing it up.

Please, someone, give me hope? I just wanna be able to go online and buy a ps5 disc edition for £450 with no hassle.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

This was an awesome post, and helped me to relate game development to the much more loving boring software I work on. Thanks!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So today's the day a HUGE SHIPMENT of ps5s was meant to drop in the UK....

*tumbleweed*

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The fact that stores aren't doing more to stop bots and scalpers grabbing all the orders as soon as they appear makes me cry like a tiny impotent baby. Like, I know that they have absolutely no incentive to sell to genuine customers above these SUBHUMAN SCUM, but god drat it I want one, and I hate those cunts.

In the past few days in the UK, both Symths and Game have had orders available, but both have sold out in ~ 1 minute.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

John Lewis stock just went live and sold out in like 10 seconds

:negative:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'm watching a YouTube vid atm of the latest Tomb raider being played in ULTRA 4K 60FPS MEGA HD and, like, it looks amazing, but I think it really sucks how Tomb Raider has turned into an uncharted clone.

It's probably just a case of 'things were better when I were a lad', but I used to love that sense of isolation and danger in the original ps1 Tomb raiders, just how unforgiving and alienating the environments were sometimes.

In terms of more recent games who match that atmosphere, I can only think of maybe like shadow of the colossus (lol recent) or the souls games.

Maybe it's the AAA quality of everything now which means that all environments have to look like Hollywood film sets, and you need an extensive voice acted cast, plus 'witty' naughty dog style dialogue at all times, but I feel like that sense of magic and wonder is missing from games now.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'm curious about the fact that amazon doesn't seem to have had any stock in any country so far this year.

If they are actually planning on doing some kind of release which means that normal people can get one then I will gladly accept Jeff Bezos as world king.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
It's too easy just to slip into gameplay loops which deter you from taking on more involved or time consuming games I think.

Like, after my wife and kid have gone to bed, I can either take on some meaty new single player campaign and have to get used to new mechanics, plots and challenges... Or I can play a game or two of Fifa, where I know exactly what I'm doing, and how long the game will last.

This is even more the case now that I'm pretty much putting off playing anything new til I get a ps5 sometime in 2023.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

eonwe posted:

any idea when the next ps5 drop is supposed to be

Two minutes ago, and sold out in 0.35 seconds.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I have bought a brand new disc edition PS5!!! From eBay :( For £570 :(

But I'm switching jobs next month, so am just coasting through my notice period, and then have some time off, so I figured I may as well just shell-out the extra and get the extra utility from it while I can.

It arrives tomorrow and gentlemen I am SO loving PUMPED! I am just going to use it as a PS4-Pro-PRO for the foreseeable, but I don't care.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I thought I'd reinstall rdr2 on the the ps5 and it, predictably, looks and runs loving amazing.

However, it seems like the buttons are kind of stiff, or have extra resistance, which means the riding sections, of which there are many, are genuinely painful unless you switch which finger / thumb is holding X.

But more broadly the problem is with rdr 2 for making you hold X all the loving time, even in cinematic mode.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
On the day I got my ps5, I turned it on from rest mode, and for some reason there was a green bar down the left hand side of the screen, and the display had duplicated itself, so there were two identical displays, one on top of the other. I turned it off and turned it on again, and it was fine, but it's still not what you want to see from your new toy.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Barreft posted:

Random aside, I'm looking for a PS5, I know it's a fools errand but I got nowinstock running and if any nice goon can grab any I'll buy it from you.

I got one on ebay for ~£100 more than the asking price, and tbh I'd just recommend doing that if you can, op. Waiting/hoping for a release that doesn't sell out in seconds is super-frustrating, and actually, your time does have value - so weeks and months spent checking restock twitter accounts and holding off on playing new titles til you have the console is something against which you can put a price.

This is how I have justified it to myself anyway.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So I'm totally confused as to how I get the PS5 version of Control to launch? I added the ultimate edition to my library when it was free on PS+, but now I can literally see no option anywhere to download or launch the PS5 version.

When I click the elipses on the title, I'm given no option. When I search for Control on the store, only the PS4 option comes up.

I'm stumped, can anyone help?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Now that I have my ps5, I want to give my old ps4 away to a friend of mine, and ideally I'd also like him to be able to share my ps plus account with me, cos then he'd be able to play a bunch of cool games I've accumulated over the years.

Am I able to do this legitimately, or does sony not allow it? I've got no other devices or users tied to my account.

For content : recently finished SOMA for the first time, thought it was really excellent, and also think that having dangerous monsters is a good and scary thing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for the advice, all! Really cool that my pal can have access to all these games. And I guess this applies to the ps5 ps+ collection as well?

His most recent console was the 360, so he has a lot of catching up to do!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I played some of The Witness and am of two minds about it.

I like the main puzzle mechanic, but traversal is slow. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be going and I haven't seen any kind of indicator. I've found a bunch of puzzles and done them but it isn't clear at all if these are required for progress or causing me to progress in any way.

Does the game have any kind of guidance at any point, do you get the ability to move around faster? Is there any narrative propelling you? I'd say I've done about 30-40 puzzles and if the game ever actually starts to feel like a game I'll stick with it but right now feels like just wandering around aimlessly.

This was my exact experience. It seemed neat enough, but there are just too many free games now to want to spend too long on something like this.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Hopper posted:

Should be getting my Pas5 pickup notification today, fingers crossed. I can use a USB stick to transfer saves right, does it have to have a special formatting?

Or if you have ps plus then you don't need to bother because they can just be downloaded anyway. It was pretty painless for me.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'm a little disappointed by miles morales. A showcase for the graphical and performance potential of the ps5 it's obviously stunning, but I really think they could have added to the gameplay elements of the original (although it's good they got rid of the puzzle mini games).

I think it's more my problem, as unlike most goons I got pretty burnt out on the spiderman gameplay loop after finishing the main campaign. They're still fantastic games, but I guess the two elements of which the game consists, which is swingin' and fightin', have just lost their charm.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Aidan_702 posted:

I got literally around 70 seconds into the witness and immediately deleted it. Just knew I wasn't going to play the game. It was free tho

Its the main drawback of the abundance of free games available now. It's so easy to just move on to the next thing, which means that games that might take a little while to get into but are really rewarding will inevitably get left by the wayside (I also deleted The Witness after a few minutes).

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Having restarted rdr2 on the ps5 with the aim of axtually finishing it this time, I've burnt out super quickly. There is so much to love about the game in terms of visuals, grandeur, dialogue and, to a lesser extent, plot, I just find the missions so at odds with the tone of the rest of the game that playing them makes me feel actively unhappy.

You wonder around the wilderness, pontificating on the nature of time and mortality and change, admiring the stunning scenery, soaking up the atmosphere and then you KILL A HUNDRED PEOPLE and then you continue to wander around the wilderness, maybe visiting a small town, tipping your hat to people, visit the local stores, take a bath then you KILL TWO HUNDRED PEOPLE and then you share tales, fears and hopes by the camp fire, go on a langorous fishing trip, before going taking a ride with your companions, making wise cracks and speculating what the futures going to look like and then you KILL A HUNDRED PEOPLE and so on.

Every mission being a massacre is just repetitive, boring and completely jarring.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'm loving the ps5. It feels like a genuinely premium product, and it's great to be able to experience the entire ps4 back catalogue in the best possible quality, and with virtually no loading times.

It's super exciting to think about what this thing could do with games that are actually designed around the system.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

The Walrus posted:

I always got excited when it was time to insert a new disc. It made it seem epic.

I never played a game where you had to switch back and forth though I don't think.

I think in mgs you had to switch discs in order to backtrack through shadow moses.

And agreed, the moment of switching is exciting and seminal somehow. Like when you leave midgar in ffvii and it's like 'holy gently caress, the rest of the world is still to come'.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
So am I crazy, or did someone say that horizon zd complete edition was gonna be free somewhere this month?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, I ran up against the storage limitation pretty quickly. Doesn't help that gt sport is loving 110gb lol.

Also, reinstalled the witcher and drat... I really thought they might have done a little more for the ps4 pro patch, but can't even get locked 60fps? After playing loads of other patched games it just feels really terrible.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but on the external hard-drive issue - I understand you can keep your PS4 games on there, and still play them, but does keeping them on an external drive affect the load times and/or performance in anyway, and if so is this impacted by the difference between an SSD and an HHD? Having paid over the odds for my PS5, I'm reluctant to shell out another three figures for external storage, so if an HDD works fine then that'd be awesome.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Casnorf posted:

Your game to play, your entertainment as someone who won't buy microtransactions, is being subsidized by the people who will. Without them everything costs more. For everyone. Including you. So you get less entertainment. So rail all you like, or just thank the people with more money than sense for gifting you so much to do with your copious free time. Hahaha

Smells like bullshit to me. Got anything to back this up, other than 'common sense'?

Exactly how much more would 'everything' cost, per user, without micro transactions?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'm glad I'm not the only person who flails around helplessly whenever they have to use the home screen or anything to do with the ps button.

Guaranteed that before too long they'll just quietly reimplement the ps4 ui and controls.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I thought the ratchet and clank ps4 game was awesome, and it's the only 'kids' game that I've played for more than a couple of hours, let alone completed. The weapons are fun, and it's all just so pretty and chaotic that it was like a sugar rush.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I love how genuinely upset people are getting at some light bloodborne trolling.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
God of war is technically amazing, and the gameplay is definitely adequate enough to keep on engaging you til the end, but on my second play through I really hate how they just made Atreus... A modern American teenager, with modern American teenage dialogue.

All the other characters are thematically consistent with the universe, but he's just been plucked from a californian high school and it makes no sense.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Hate to bring bad news but everyone in God of War is American as gently caress, not just the kid. Freya sounds like a mom off the OC or something and Brok is like a New York construction worker*.

Which is fine it's an American game and doing old timey Norse accents would be stupid.

* or some other kind of brash American that says things like ya sunuva bitch really loud

Yeah, this is all true, I guess. Actually the dwarves are both super annoying too.

Best character and voice acting is definitely the world serpent.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Can someone provide a summary of which, if any, resident evils I should play on ps4/5 if I wanna get, understand and appreciate village? I haven't played any since I rented re2 for ps1 from blockbuster when I was a kid...

I feel I should probably get an actual ps5 game, and returnal doesn't appeal.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Ps5 has finally turned me into an fps snob. I never used to give a poo poo, but now find it nearly impossible to enjoy 30fps after being spoilt on GoW and miles morales. This is probably a bad thing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Stop eating burgers all the time you fat fucks

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah, you could only get the ps5 upgrade of control if you originally added it to your library on a ps5. So I am also SOL.

I'm currently playing my way through sniper elite 4, which was on ps plus a while back. Its kind of poo poo really, but I'm an absolute sucker for stealthy shooty stabby games, and it certainly scratches that itch.

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 13, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone know how I make it so that my ps5 doesn't automatically power on when I (accidentally) select it as an HDMI input on my TV? It's super irritating, and completely unnecessary, a proper example of something being over designed, a SHAMBLES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think the ps5 looks awesome, while also fully conceding that it's size and shape are radically impractical for most people's home entertainment set ups.

It's titanic size is an outward projection of its terrifying power, and the millions of microscopic squares, triangles, circles and crosses on its underside and controller is the kind of refined touch that make this feel like the Bentley of consoles.