Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I was lucky enough to be able to get Returnal on release, and was super excited because it was the first thing I got that really felt like a PS5 game, rather than just an upgraded PS4 game. I really tried to like it, but I'm finding the penalty for dying too steep. Not so much "it's too hard" (Although I'm starting to think my old rear end isn't good at bidya james anymore) but it's just that there's no payoff. The moment-to-moment combat is 'quite good', but not quite good enough to be its own reward, so I keep expecting the plot to advance when I die, or for stuff to unlock, or whatever, or new areas to open up or weird things to happen. And they do, but it's super few and far between. I guess I'm saying, I don't find it that compelling.

Is it actually worth me sticking at? I probably will, at least until the next big thing comes along, because, y'know, I've got it and it's fun enough. But I feel like putting in the effort to get past Biome 3 won't really be worth it in terms of 'fun'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Casnorf posted:

If the gameplay isn't enough, then it's never gonna be. The structure of the game is such that you have to want to keep at it -- which is good advice for anything, really -- since it's set up more like an arcade score attack than a traditional game story game. There's a neat story in there, but expecting a structure that keeps drip-feeding you content no matter your performance is inaccurate to the type of game it is.

Well, yes. When you put it so bluntly, I feel kinda dumb for asking it. But I suppose what I'm trying to ask is, does the combat get much more varied, does the story get more compelling, does actually getting good at it feel rewarding?

Because with stuff like Dark Souls, Furi, Hades, Ikari Warriors etc, it was worth perservering. But that might not have been true!

You're absolutely right I shouldn't expect more for losing, but... The different Biomes don't exactly set the world on fire with design, the enemies don't really require new gameplay style, just more restraint etc. Like I can imagine what the fourth and fifth biome will be like, and I suspect I'll be 90% there. I guess what I'm asking is, I'm at Biome 3, is this it? Is this the whole game?

And, y'know, with the others, you could definitely ask the same question, and that's fine. Like level 3 of Furi, is that the whole game? Yeah. But, I'd happily persevere knowing that. If Undead Burg was all that Dark Souls was, I might not have kept playing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bust Rodd posted:

The variance in combat comes from beating Biome 3-4-5 to unlock all the weapons and then unlock all the weapon traits that make the weapons really POP and handle differently. I found myself really uninterested and uninvested until I made it to Biome 4 and then it switched on me and now I think about the game all the time and frequently turn it off and then just… turn it back on like 5 mins later because I wanna try again.

Also after B3 the game absolutely rains ether down on you so the very light meta-progression actually ramps up a lot and you’re adding lots of new artifacts to the pool pretty quickly.

This was basically exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks to yourself and everyone else that gave me measured replies that were neither "omg git gud" nor "the game is the best thing ever!!!!".

I picked up the game again, and said aloud "I'm going to complete biome 3" and then went through all of 1, all of 2 and all of three. Hadn't seen the boss before, that was a very cool fight!

It was indeed incredibly satisfying, and I'm a convert.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Tangentially related to this discussion (and forgive me Jollyboy John et al because it's something I've brought up in the controversial opinions thread):

I've seen people say stuff like "You can even unlock trophies with cheats on!" or "You can't get platinum on easy" or whatever, and what I don't really understand is, are trophies like a big deal to people? To me, I might look at what trophies I've unlocked if I'm really enjoying a game, just to see like, 'more' of the game, see what they're called, see what's being rewarded etc, and if I finish a game, I might go back and try to 100% it as a way to get more out of it.

But I'm not exactly over here worrying that someone's going to get a job instead of me because they've got more trophies on their CV. Like I will never ever give a poo poo what trophies any of my friends have, or strangers have. If someone else unlocked godmode and got them all that way (or indeed, just did a cheat to 'unlock all trophies') that has ZERO impact on my life in any way whatsoever, I'm not sure I even understand 'how' I could care about it? "They ignored more content than me! And content that's really just a series of flags! WaH!"....? I don't see it?

I think I was somewhat spoilt by Team Fortress 2, because their trophies were actually funny mini games. Actual achievements, that were hard to do. (Stuff like 'kill someone in mid air with a melee weapon' or 'kill a sniper with an in flight rocket after he kills you') They all had funny names relating to what you were doing to get them too, like just really well thought out, it actually felt like more content for the game. What's more, you had to unlock a few of them in order to unlock new weapons, so it made sense to read through the menu of them to see which ones you could get and aim for it.

If I'm playing a game and it's like "Archeologist!" because I picked up 5/10 collectables, like... Shut up. The achievement is that I got the collectables, putting a label on it isn't good. And, yes, collecting artefacts is what archaeologists do, you have correctly named an activity. What does that add?

I can see them as useful labels, so that you can go online and discuss it, like "Oh the archaeologist one has a hard to find thing on the fourth level". I'll grant you that.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm probably not gonna play through the main game again and I can't imagine the DLC being more than 2 or 3 hours :(

Yeah, this is super annoying, lol. I mean, obviously, y'know, in the context of 'PS5 owner problems', not in the grand scheme of things.

Do we know if the extra stuff is going to be a part of the next chapter, or if it's just wholly new content that you can only play by buying the game and playing through it entirely again? Because, yeah, I guess I just miss this DLC stuff.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

veni veni veni posted:

Been replaying Doom Eternal. I was kind of hoping I'd gain some new perspective upon a replay, but find myself feeling the exact same as I did the first time. Just a lot of highs mixed with extremely low lows. I don't know if there is ever going to be a game I have more mixed feelings on. It feels like such an effort sequel that expands on everything but I kind of hate how they expanded on about 75% of it.

How far are you? I felt exactly the same until annoyingly late on, and ... I dunno something clicked and I changed how I felt about it completely, to the point it's one of the very very few games I've actually wanted to go back and 100%!

I 'think' what it is, is that until the last half, you don't have the powerups to make learning safe. In the first half of the game, it's very often the case that learning how to kill a monster, or limit testing your abilities or whatever just gets you stone dead. It's not that it's hard, per se, it's just that it's very punishing. The fact it throws jumping puzzles at you as well, it feels like a mockery of Doom. But then later on, you get tooled up enough that you can actually kinda 'play' a bit more, and get much more of a feel for it, to the extent that you very much don't need the extra tooling up. So when you go back to the earlier stuff, it feels a lot more fun. Even the platforming stuff, you spend so much of the latter game zooming around and jumping about while fighting, that doing it 'not' under intense pressure makes it.... like it's not even a jumping 'puzzle' it's just an interesting traversal.

At the start I didn't really appreciate just how much fun it actually is zipping around, the double dash, double jump and grapple gun give you SO much fluidity of motion, it's almost like playing mirrors edge or THPS but with solid gunplay. I'm really at a loss now to find an FPS that feels as good.

I still think all the story elements / narrative is loving trash, and I still think that the introduction is just a complete and utter misfire. I think a couple of the guns are just pointless, and unlocking the "GUN WITH THE COMBINED POWER OF HEAVEN AND HELL" is the dampest squib in maybe all of gaming, and also I probably agree with the things that you hate how they expanded it. But, I dunno, something about it, when it works it 'works' and it's fun as gently caress.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tuo posted:

Doom: Eternal might have one or two mechanics that could have been trimmed/optimized, but I think I haven't played a game in years where once it "clicks", the flow you get into during the battles is just sooooo good. Everything just feels "right", and the whole puzzle suddenly snaps together.

One can argue that the DLCs (especially the first, allthough I have to replay it since they fixed some enemy placement/combination) force you a bit too much into using weapon mods that weren't good.

The storytelling might bother people, but it's worth it imo to just ignore it if it bothers too much.

The worst thing about Doom: Eternal for me is that I basically struggle to replay Doom 2016, because I miss exactly that flow of combat, the movement options etc.

Shame about the whole Mick Gordon meltdown in regard to DLC soundtrack though, and about the kinda unfinished parts in the last half hour of DLC2 (guess they had to get it out of the door in regard to the season pass).

Looking forward to playing the Necromunda game, since I hear it's a lot like Doom Eternal, though a bit riddled with bugs at the moment.

I was super hype to play Necromunda but then watched a gameplay vid of it it, and... I dunno it feels like a game you'd get as the third in your "3 for £20" offer at Game in the 90's, play once and then never again. Like XS or whatever it was called, just weirdly floaty and empty.

Edit: Oh, looks like PC gamer gave it 48% which is about what I thought, yeah. Boo. Which, yeah, sure, is PC. But ... I dunno, feels right based on what I've seen. :(

Edit/Edit: lol, they also point out it feels very 90s.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 4, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's not how that works. TLOU PS4 was rebuilt from the ground up on the same proprietary modified ND engine that UC4 runs on. The TLOU 'remake' news freakout was a huge nothingburger, like most of the videogame news that happens in the slow months of february and march. It's not real and never will be unless it gets done by ND themselves.

I agree for the most part, the only thing that gives me pause is that they're doing a big budget TLOU tv show at the moment, and having a new game to sell alongside it makes a lot of sense, especially an obvious entry point into the games rather than a sequel for existing fans, y'know?

Like I actually don't think it would be insane to reissue it again, even if there's actually VERY little new content.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Casnorf posted:

I didn't think I was being angry, but to be fair watching people lie to themselves is, like, a thing I can't stand. So my judgement there might be a bit suspect. Especially the love/hate relationship between the people who entertain and fans, which I'll admit I've been on all the sides of in my various times. Jian Ghomeshi called me an rear end in a top hat to my face back in the 90's, before everyone knew about him and now in my line of work I get to see people firsthand talking themselves out of ways to actually enjoy things, frequently because reality doesn't align with their expectation, no matter how they got to that expectation. Reality must be wrong! You know, that kind of thing.

Am I having my bi-weekly existential crisis or do I just need a sandwich? I'll try the sandwich.
thanks, man

Some eggheads did a study recently with the intent of coming up with an equation for happiness.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2021/may/opinion-there-happiness-equation-heres-how-were-trying-find-out

What it essentially boiled down to was "Lower your expectations". Happiness is essentially just 'matters exceeding your expectations', which is something you're somewhat in control of. Obviously, there's a superficial element to that, and then also one that you don't really get a say in. It's also not really news. But whatever, there you go.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does this mean if you take the inverse... They invented the ANTI-life equation...

What larks master pip!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

VideoGames posted:

OK after some serious consideration I have gone with the following as my top 20 platformers.

01. Super Mario Brothers 3
02. VVVVVV
03. Super Mario Brothers 2
04. Sonic Mania
05. Donkey Kong Country 2
06. Celeste
07. Thomas Was Alone
08. Kirby's adventure
09. Super Mario Maker 2
10. Hollow Knight
11. Dead Cells
12. Braid
13. Shovel Knight
14. Sonic 3 + Knuckles
15. Super Mario World
16. Yoshi's Island
17. Steamworld Dig 2
18. Metroid Zero Mission
19. Dynamite Heady
20. Fantastic Dizzy

So, of these, I haven't played many, because I was never allowed a console as a kid, but I DID have an Atari ST. (Because my dad was genuinely like "PC Master race, why would you ever need a console?!")

As a result, the only thing on here that I see as a point of contention is Fantastic Dizzy over Magicland Dizzy. Was Fantastic the better? I have much better memories of Magicland, but I was a stupid kid back then, and am likely to have got it wrong. I would like to go back and play one of them, do you think it should be Fantastic? How come you preferred it? Cheers!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

VideoGames posted:

It is more of a case of owning it. I lived in the UK and my family was quite poor when I was growing up, so I mostly got games on sale or good deals. Fanastic Dizzy was a megadrive only game and at the time I only had a megadrive and my C64 had been stolen.

In fact my C64 got stolen about 9 months after the birthday when I got it, which was a shame, but happened. I did not have it long enough to get the dizzy games.

On my megadrive, Fantastic Dizzy was a dual game, so if you pressed reset it would switch to Cosmic Spacehead. I loved those two games a lot, especially the music and Fantastic Dizzy was one of those platformers I spent ages and ages with :)

I should try to play the other dizzy games and I know they are available in browser form on the official codemasters website. :)

Haha, ok, that's very relatable. I was also in the UK, and I suspect not being allowed a console was partly because my dad already had the ST for work.

Super sorry about your C64, that really sucks. I loved cosmic spacehead, totally forgot about that game! I really liked the music on that, but listening back to it now, it's kind of interminable, lol.

Thanks, that's really cool, I'll definitely try them on the codemasters site!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Twibbit posted:

I played some Demon's Souls.

I died. A lot.

What I think is so cool about the Souls games, is that it starts off feeling like it's just bullying you. And as you explore, the new stuff you come across is equally terrifying and kills you a lot, and it feels like it's laughing at you. But you get better and better at not dying to all the normal stuff along the way. Eventually, you sort of just ... git gud? It just kinda happens magically, and at some point you're like "you know what fuckin BRING IT" and a new crazy enemy comes along and you KICK ITS rear end! And then something HILARIOUSLY dreadful happens and you die again, and it's funny this time, because now, it's not like being bullied. It's like two friends, two equals, playing pranks on each other, and you can appreciate the subtleties of the horror. It's laughing with you!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Achmed Jones posted:

that's stockholm syndrome op

No, because with Stockholm Syndrome, you're coming to admire someone with malicious intent. Dark Souls very obviously wants you to have a good time. Its intentions are only pure!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm so frustrated by not being able to get a ps5 that i caved in and bought a new gaming monitor!

Oh sick which one did you go for? I'm in the market!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I went with this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-EX278...24619284&sr=8-1

I have hummed and hawed about this for months so just glad to finally get an upgrade

Oh wow, yeah, I've been looking for months too, and I still can't really afford it, but that one is the one, isn't it? Ticks all the boxes and isn't curved to boot! Nice one!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Casnorf posted:

Collecting Magic cards is a different hobby than playing Magic, and both are distinct from Arena. All have a certain amount of feedback iteration. Compare to being a passive podcast listener and thinking that's enough to build a personality on.

Bust, I grabbed a couple packs of MH2 on the buy two get one at gamestop, and my first pack's rare was "drat!" I keep it on my desk now. The only thing that could possible make it better is Drew Tucker art.

Nice! Have you ever seen a German Armageddon? Truly a thing of beauty. And vaguely not a thread derail, if you go via incredibly tenuous Final Fantasy links!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Casnorf posted:

I'll have to check it out! Like, revised era?

I think any, it's just that it's translated as Gotterdammerung which is just awesome, and I thought you might appreciate it!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SnipeShow posted:

Returnal is on sale. Did they patch in saves yet?

Not that I know of, but it was never that big of an issue for me. Appreciate your mileage may vary, but, unless you 'know' its going to impact you (multiple people using your PS5 for different stuff) then it probably wont

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bust Rodd posted:

If you’ve unlocked the Bridge in Biome 3 then you’re spending too much time farming instead of just practicing Biome 3 and the boss.

There’s a big draw towards farming Biome 1 fully every run for more health or whatever but ultimately this mostly just wastes your time and doesn’t actually help you develop the skills you need to beat the game. If you become dependent on lucking into an OP build instead of figuring out how to navigate the super armored robots and bomb drones then you’ll get absolutely mulched in later biomes.

Counterpoint: biome 3 is definitely the hardest in the game.

Flayer posted:

I think the Returnal devs haven't added any kind of save state system because once they do, even if it's a temporary save that disappears once loaded, people will find a way to move them around and reload them. Not sure it's worth inconveniencing most of your playerbase to stop a few people from cheesing the game, of course.

No, it obviously isn't

!Klams fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 26, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

After about four or five runs through biome 2 without a single collectible I found a single cipher and realized that I still need 8 more. Jesus loving Christ.

Edit: then it froze my ps5 to the point of requiring a hard power down. Great.

Edit: and corrupted my save so all the time I put into finding that one goddamn thing was a complete waste. Thanks Housemarque. I'm done with your loving game now. Likely will not buy any games of yours in the future.

It's weird, because like, on the one hand, I've absolutely been where you are, and felt what you're feeling about the game. It fuckin' sucks, and, I fully appreciate that stance, having literally held it.

But (and I know it's kinda super shilling here, defending it after that happened) at the same time, where I'm at now, having played a bunch more... like I'd happily go back and do the amount of game you've lost, a few times over. The game is just so weirdly playable and fun and good, once you get into it. It's definitely the only game I've ever got the 'extra secret NG+ ending' on, seen all it has to offer, and then been like.... ....yeah but now I'm immediately gonna play it again anyway. I haven't Platinumed it because I'm not really into hunting everything down, but I might well end up platting it just from playing it more even after I've finished it and coming across all the missing stuff incidentally.

But I didn't start off this enamored with it at all. It took quite a bit to win me over, I was sorta super down on it at first.

/edit: Just saw this after I posted!

Oxxidation posted:

imo that's also its major failing, because its appeal drops off sharply the more you loop through it. doesn't help that it gives you very little reason to keep looping after you finish act 3

How funny, while I agree it doesn't 'give' you a reason (aside from platinum and levelling the weapons) I feel really drawn back to it. But, this is only my personal preference, I'm not big into Roguelikes so thought that maybe this one in particular was good in some way, but it's quite possible it's just struck a chord with me. I do LOVE the narrative.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
A think with returnal that really helped me, was just running through. Like, it's quite easy to just run past a huge amount of the game. The first time I did it was out of panic, but what I found was doing it a few times gave me, weirdly, a much better handle on things. I think, just knowing that I 'could' just nope out past it all made it feel somehow less oppressive, which gave me a better mental state for carefully and methodically tackling each arena.

It very much is the case that you sort of just click at some point, and for me, there was a very real ceiling I had to break. (Biome 3). Once I broke it though, once I committed to making sure I aced all the bits that I could ace to power myself up for the harder later bits that I totally couldn't, actually, I did.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oxxidation posted:

pretty much, yeah

returnal has some extremely good prose but it all adds up to yet another "guilty coma dream" story in the end

I disagree with this take.

I think there's a lot more going on.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm just on Seattle Day 3 now, so trying to avoid these spoilers! (So tempting though!)

I got the game a while ago, but I struggle to play it much, and it's kind of a testament to how good it is, weirdly. The only other games I've got on my PS5 are Returnal and Mortal Kombat. The thing with TLOU2 is that, it feels, more so that anything else I've ever played, like I'm MURDERING people. The animation, the characterisation, the 'rawness' of it, it all just feels so bleak, and so mean spirited? The fact that you stab someone in the neck and lay them down, hide, and then moments later someone calls out in grief "CHARLOTTE?!" is pretty rough!

So I find it quite hard to pick up, it's exhausting. And when I'm not playing it, the other games aren't exactly chicken soup for the soul! I've ordered Ratchet and Clank, which I'm hoping will be like a pallette cleanser, lol. I do really want to play more TLOU because it's excellent, but it's just so emotionally draining!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm trying to drum up the enthusiasm to start Sekiro bro there is no way i'm going back to play a game from 1999

Yeah, I mean I loved Silent Hill at the time, but I wouldn't be able to start it again. Watching a lets play is definitely the way to go.

Weirdly, I reckon I could do 'The Room' again, because I never quite finished it, and I guess it was a lot more recent? I really liked it, but it wasn't especially 'Silent Hill'.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

acksplode posted:

They're both games that require tolerance for frustration and retrying, so if Returnal didn't send you packing then you should absolutely try Sekiro. I'd argue it's more difficult than Returnal, but it's also a simpler game with well tuned linear progression. It doesn't have any of Returnal's pitfalls like a mess of mechanics to learn or the inconsistency of RNG. You're never worrying about whether your build is good enough, it's always about mastering whatever challenge is in front of you. Boss runs are quick so they're easy to retry.

One of my favorite games of all time is Furi. When I was playing Returnal (which I also loved) my wife pointed out "It's just Furi in 3D!". I actually don't like the look of Sekiro's aesthetic, but do you think it's a good enough game I'd get over that? It pretty much sounds like yes. I think as I'm typing this it's really just me coming to terms with the fact I'm going to buy Sekiro.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

acksplode posted:

Prosthetic tools and special attacks open things up and make room for creativity. You can always be stubborn and simply parry your way to victory. Or you can stun Lady Butterfly with a shuriken while she's on her wires. If you're paying enough attention to the story you can deduce that the reanimated great ape is infested with a centipede, and yank it out with your spear. You can poison yourself and then use mist raven as much as you want. You can turn an enemy into a puppet and bring it with you to the nearby boss fight. You can think you know everything about a certain boss fight and then watch a video of imhotep demolishing it with mortal draw.

It's one of my favoritest games ever. Like it might be my desert island game. I could replay it endlessly. I'm so biased in its favor that I might be the wrong person to ask lol

Yeah, but that's kind of .... the fact it 'could' be that for anyone, with me a fan of the genre, means it's basically guaranteed to be a hit. Have you played Furi? I dunno if that would be my desert island game, but really, only because it's not that 'big'.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Imhotep posted:

But Sekiro is just like, a realistic and muddy/gritty sengoku era Japan, with some fantasy elements. I mean, I can see not liking it, but it's a weird game to nitpick the art style of specifically when you mentioned enjoying Furi so much.

Yeah, I've come to learn that I'm in the wrong / the minority opinion, when it comes to aesthetic (or that I have bad taste? I dunno how you qualify it) but I just dont care for anything mundane. And, I think it's just that my calibration of what's mundane is out of whack.

I'd just SO much sooner see something new than something I've seen before done well.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Gort posted:

Without spoilers, I'd just say that there's a lot of variety in Sekiro's environments. It's not just Sengoku-era castles, though there is a fair bit of that.
Ooookaaayyy interesting, yeah I did a GIS and it was "realistic and brown" and really that's all id ever seen of it, righto, I'll pick it up tonight!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
On a recommendation from couple of you, I picked up Sekiro.

God drat it. Games annoyingly awesome. It's like From Soft made a Tenchu game. I'm gonna be playing this all the goddamn time! Haha!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dewgy posted:

It originally was a Tenchu game! They ditched the franchise to give themselves more breathing room to go full on weird with it.

Ha! I knew it! Aww man. Why didn't I get into this sooner.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Arrrthritis posted:

I think I know what direction the game's story is going to go when I get the true ending, and if I'm right I don't think I'm going to have a high opinion of the game's story.

I mean...

...You can probably kind of imagine the rough direction it's going in, but honestly, if you have guessed exactly what the story is, I will give you my PS5.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So what's the next big "Very Next Gen" game coming out that I can look forward to?

Ratchet and Clank is fine, but I feel like I wouldn't have picked it up if there was a bigger catalogue.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

kanonvandekempen posted:

Elden ring is january 2022. It's cross-gen though.

Oh GOD is it?! For some reason I thought it was much further off than that. That's a fair while for "next big game" but real soon for "finish Sekiro first".

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The only thing that really annoyed me about TLOU2 was that there were a bunch of sections where something appears behind you, but the difficulty comes from not being able to turn your vision in time.

This is kinda compounded by the fact that you eventually kinda just get a feel for when this is going to happen, and it's about 50 / 50 as to whether just RUNNING AWAY will win the game or lose the game.

It's not really a huge issue, but it takes a lot of the wind out of the sails in the last half because the tension just becomes aggravating.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bust Rodd posted:

Just did a PS5 Bloodborne playthrough this month on my 4K Nanocell and coming from 60 FPS games it takes like maybe 15-20 minutes to stop noticing and then your brain does this “frame pacing” hocus pocus all on its own. I switched over to 30 FPS mode for Ratchet & Clank because the bells and whistles are too precious to give up.

Sushi Ghost I have set on Resolution instead performance but it’s never dropped below 60 FPS anyway so I don’t know what that mode is even for.

I've been playing Ratchet and Clank on performance mode from the start. I figured fancy mode would be too annoying at low framerate, but that once I'd seen the bells and whistles I'd have felt like I was playing a cut down version.

Is the fancy version actually ok at 30fps, and worth the glow up? I guess I should give it a try.

Also, any idea how short R&C is? I seem to have 50% progress, but it barely feels like I've played it, I'm at the part where you're suggested to do more combat arena again (and just bought the rocket launcher?). Is that actually half way?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Kazzah posted:

I feel like the arena was well before the 50% mark. There are 9 locations, and you revisit a couple of the early planets later in the story.

This is the second time I've been told I should go in the arena right after the red, real bad guy returns and steals the new portal gun

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Organza Quiz posted:

Hey anyone got any tips for Returnal for the flying blanket critters in the first biome? The ones that swoop into you to attack. Everything else I feel like I have a handle on now but those guys still gently caress me up when a lot of them spawn at once. I think I've worked out that hitting them interrupts their attack charging? Do I just need to get good at accurately changing targets to prevent any of them attacking or is there another good strategy? It feels like melee should be good on them given they come right up to you but I don't think I've ever managed to successfully melee one.

Also re:Phrike I got up to second phase twice and only the second time did I realise it looks like it has like two more phases after that. This is gonna be a long learning curve...

I'm loving it but really glad I played Hades first to ease me into the roguelike genre. Every time I feel like I'm making slow progress I remember exactly how progress worked in Hades and that it does happen eventually.

Those guys are utter pricks and the best way to deal with them is to know when they're gonna spawn. When you pre-empt them they're a lot easier, because if get them to spawn and back away a bunch, they can't flank you as easily. That's not always possible though. One thing I did find that helped was realizing that when one of them is going to attack you if you shoot it, it stops its attack animation. This means it's often correct to switch which one you're shooting at, rather than focusing one down to death at a time.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

spankmeister posted:

I'm trying the plat The Witness and I have everything but the gauntlet in the caves and it's kicking my rear end a bit. I don't want to have a time limit dammit.

...everything else? I couldn't be bothered with that other thing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

veni veni veni posted:

I'm tempted to give Blasphemous a whirl again after I finish up a few things, and I'm tempted to buy it on sale for $8 on PSN, even though I paid $25 for it on Switch and played for like an hour lol. Just way higher chance of me actually bothering on PS. Hmm

So, I hadn't realised they'd updated Blasphemous, I opened it up again and there's a bunch of stuff?!?! Do I have DLC now? Do I need to do anything to get all the DLC, or is it all just free auto update stuff (I have it on Steam).

Going back to the game, I've kind of forgotten what's what, but in my save it says 97.5% done that I think was either 100%, or I'm just before the final boss that 100%'d it? What should I know coming back at this point, anything I should be aware of, or, just go explore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bust Rodd posted:

Arkane makes extremely MOOD games, and if you try to play them when you’re not into that kind of MOOD, then the games won’t click with you. I had a friend who grew up in London and he said he couldn’t enjoy Dishonored because Dunwall is just “steampunk London” and she doesn’t play escapist fantasy games to jump around a dingy rat-infested wharf.

This is so 100% true, but for me it being steampunk London MOOD is what made it incredible.

Conversely, watchdogs legion was unplayable to me, for the reasons your friend found dishonoured hard to play. It wasn't cyberpunk London, it's just 'excactly London', and it's really serious and heavy, and during the pandemic and this current government, it was just too much.