Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I would recommend not placing your gigantic console in any kind of enclosed space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It could work like xbox 360 bc where the disc is authentication only and it has to download the game, I guess.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Storm One posted:

This would loving suck. By 360 BC, do you mean 360 > OG XBox or Xbone > 360?

I mean 360 games on the Xbone.

I'm not sure how either next gen console will handle installing bc games, having to do full redownloads isn't unlikely.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How about an upgrade for ps4 owners of Miles Morales?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

I took some measurements and the PS5 can fit in my entertainment center horizontally but only with about an inch of room on each side. Do I need to start worrying about ventilation with that little space left?

Yes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Is this true? I've found a few sources that Game and Network Services is either #1 or #2 but has usually been #1. It's unclear how much of Electornics Products and Solutions relates to pre-PS5 sales (TVs to get ready for PS5 etc.) https://www.statista.com/statistics/297533/sony-sales-worldwide-by-business-segment/

I can see why they need to raise game prices.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If only little indie companies like Sony could afford to give out free upgrades too.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Housh posted:

Ok. What’s the appeal for Godfall? The setting and art design is meh.

It's a launch title.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Luckily I'm a normal person who digitally preorders a game, plays it one time then deletes it forever. 😎

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Time to go back to making dlc seperate installs instead of a patch I hope.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol Watch Dogs was literally the first big game I purchased on PS4.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

This will also happen if you try to run Cyberpunk on a launch Xbox One.

I've got bad news for you if you're gonna play Cyberpunk on a base PS4.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Wasn't that poo poo only in production since like 2017? How is it that can Sony have console production runs that last a decade while MS invalidates their hardware before it even has a chance to mature? :psyduck:

p sure with the new consoles the One X doesn't have much room left to mature.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Fallout 4 was pretty good so I hope they make a Fallout 5 at one point.

Just gotta wait for Starfield and Elder Scrolls first... so Fallout 5 should be in just time for the PS7 launch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo lol.

tbh, i really think the ps4 base version will run fine. the console that runs bloodborne perfectly fine.

Good luck, all four current gen consoles have the same poo poo cpu so if the game relies on processor power there is no escape.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In pretty sure hdr is made up

Source: I got a 4k hdr tv last year halfway through the Mandalorian and it didn't look any different. The color just looked like it had a weird tint

You need a tv that handles it properly and a game that doesn't gently caress up the implementation.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

re: DF aren't biased and are journalists trying to give a critical view of upcoming technology... lmao

okay so here's my running thoughts from watching this video hours before it came up itt. i just cleaned them up from a chat log:
- DF start by going with very 'just asking questions' and talking up microsoft giving them direct access (and ignoring how a company giving you preferential treatment is directly influencing your competitor analysis...)
- they go on to complain about the ssd being soldered onto the motherboard... which is extremely normal and i'd be shocked if series x isn't also doing this making this another double standard (but that's nothing new for DF)
- they bring up the unsubstantiated russian ps5 image of 665GB of free space, and go on to claim to have seen dev kits with 620GB of space free but have never mentioned this before
- they focus on the third-party ssd tray and complain about access to cooling and if there's enough room, they mention 'differences' in allowing min-spec drives vs microsoft's proprietary approach but don't criticise any aspect (or how seagate's own 2.4GB/s drive is over half as cheap as the xbox branded proprietary one)
- they go on to say they wanted a die size (for reasons) and they had estimated a prior xbox's one before and got it wrong when imaging finally came out. they then go on to guess the ps5's die size having never mentioned a word on improving their estimates
- and correct me if i'm wrong but the shot they're focusing on v much seems to be the apu with a heatspreader on top of it... meaning that isn't the direct die so they're measuring the wrong object again. and the die size would be rather meaningless
- they talk quickly about liquid metal as it being the "nuclear option" for cooling, and how it's in mass market products. they never mention any technical aspects associated with manufacturing, make a single point about enthusiasts being concerned about longevity and that's it
- what they don't mention is the only mass market product using liquid metal is... the playstation 5. it's an engineering feat and glossing over it is p insulting to the technical audience and downplaying competitor strengths imo
- they then go on to talk about the tailored heatsink covering the apu, ram and ssd and refer to it as "a brute force solution to cooling". the technical basis for this isn't mentioned, and don't look at the series x's box fan sitting on a large heat sink as a comparison and they only talk about that as an elegant design
- they mention the xbox's compact design, again ignoring that there are different functional design decisions made with xbox focusing on size and sony focusing on noise and thermal performance (coupled with their high frequency gpu)
- okay i lied they mention liquid metal again, calling it a flourish. i don't think they know the complexity involved in applying liquid metal consistently at scale, nor how groundbreaking it is as a thermal interface
- they now call the xbox an "engineering masterwork" and the ps5 as "simple"
- power supplies are now mentioned with series x at 315W and ps4 at 350W. they use this to talk about xbox's more powerful gpu over and over again. we have no cross-gen comparison between games and the extent about the gpus we know about are core count, frequency and that it's rdna2. there could well be layout changes and different featuresets incorporated, and at launch there'll be sdk issues impacting both imo
- continuing on they talk up the heft of the ps5 and carrying it around, then mention they've never touched one... so where are these comparisons coming from

this video came out a week later which is years ago in today's timeframe, and embarassingly coincided with a japanese interview dropping yesterday with vp of mechanical design yasuhiro ootori (also in the teardown video) on thermal and mechanical considerations: https://xtech.nikkei.com/atcl/nxt/column/18/00001/04715/

it's a v technical interview talking about the choice of the fan on balancing static pressure and air flow. they went with the unusually thick fan (45mm) so it would cool both sides of the pcb. they mention the choice of 2 fans existing, but it would increase the bill of materials and the characteristics of the fan would change requiring them to run faster (and therefore be louder). likewise the dust removal spot was specifically what ootori wanted to add, and is unusual in consumer products

pg 5 they go on to talk about the heat sink and how it was design to be as effective as a vapour chamber. this was mentioned in the official teardown but we get more information on the design choices of each fin shape and how it influences the system as a whole. pg 6 there's talk about the heatsink being structural and how the entire board is coated with heat conductive materials to spread it out over as much area as possible

someone who knows more japanese please clarify the technical parts, but point is DF are playing dumb or have grown increasingly incompetent as the years have gone by

lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The enemy brand is simultaneously incompetent and all powerful.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

UI is probably this week right?

Nintendo is always like: You come to our store, you get to play 3 hours, 20 minutes at a time in stuff games we select. No photos allowed. You may not touch the home button.

And everybody loves them

Actually the original Switch thread was full of people mocking the then-unreleased console.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My tv has a hdr mode but it's pretty bad and I'm not getting on the new tv treadmill.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Are there any playstation posters going into the xbox thread and making insanely dumb posts or is it only a one way street?

Absolutely.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fix posted:

That's a fun series.

I wouldn't really call it cyberpunk tho.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

As somebody who remembers the forums reaction to the Kinect recording you, lol at the current discussion.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Next up: Sony releases an ad where millennials play ps5 at a rooftop party and everybody carefully explains that it's actually a different type of rooftop party that isn't funny.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

What's the best-case scenario here? They were using this as a soft launch for the new party system to see how people liked it and they have a more traditional version ready or close to ready? Otherwise they're either rushing to make last-minute changes or the PS5 comes out with an IOU

Launching with a busted feature or two is not a huge surprise.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sony pr has been pretty clear that they aren't too interested in old games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know about the scale here.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao replace the OP with just this

Just make that picture take up 30% of the op to represent the discourse in this thread properly.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Even outside of the requisite gently caress Ubisoft, they constantly have sales on their games and usually have one after like a couple of months. So just wait.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

The truth is, nobody knows how computers work and it's likely we never will.

I know how computers work: not very well.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

univbee posted:

60fps to 120fps isn't anywhere close to as big a deal as going from 30fps to 60fps.

It's making me wonder if games will let you have separate settings for competitive multiplayer and for single player.

It's already a long running talking point that AAA games are supposed to push graphics at 30fps for the story mode.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Gotta love the USB and Firewire ports on the front that basically never got used for anything. :allears:

You didn't own an EyeToy™?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

repiv posted:

Why did they call it the Playstation 5? Because when you see it, you'll turn 5 degrees and walk away

You'll have to turn a lot more than 5 degrees to get around something that size.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Who is the GameXplain of Sony

Univbee.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ah, we're at this stage to the pr life cycle.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It feels just like firing a real assault rifle - Jeff Gerstmann

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Policenaut posted:

There's ex-Rockstar people out there saying stuff like GTA6 wasnt even being thought of when they quit some years back.

That must be because they were all in on RDR2 because GTA Online clearly doesn't have a full dev team working on it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Don’t worry according to the internet Sony definitely didn’t test it at all and so it’s all going to leak out and ruin everyone’s PS5 regardless of how you orient it.

Hopefully they tested it more thoroughly than they did the eject button on the PS4.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Git Gud™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Who cares about ancient ps4 games like DOOM Eternal anyway.