Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This OP is gonna be kinda lovely, bear with me because I just wanna get back to the game but don't wanna keep spamming my thoughts into the PS4 thread :sweatdrop:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is Vanillaware's (Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown) latest game, part strategy game and part visual novel. I'm three hours in, it's utterly baffling, and it rules. In 13 Sentinels, you control 13 different characters with interwoven stories as they try to solve mysteries ranging from the personal to the existential. Oh, and also they control giant robots to fight kaiju.

The basic structure of the game is bouncing between the various protagonists, progressing their individual stories and accruing Mystery Points to spend to unlock more story scenes. And also fighting kaiju with your giant robots, also to unlock more story scenes. The strategy gameplay so far isn't terrible, but hasn't really been challenging in any way (though I've heard recommendations to play on the harder difficulty once you get access to that option if you want an actual challenge). The real draw is, of course, the story, and I'm already seeing lots of little connections between characters and interesting setups I'm excited to see pay off. The writing is really solid so far and the localization seems excellent (though you need to download a free day one patch for English voiced dialogue if you so prefer, because the recording got messed up due to the pandemic). From what I've heard from some JP goons, the story goes some really interesting places.

Also, it's Vanillaware, so the art is just gorgeous. Seriously, look at the trailer!

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Main Characters:

Juro Kurabe

Iori Fuyusaka

Megumi Yakushiji

Ei Sekigahara

Keitaro Miura

Natsuno Minami

Shu Amigichi

Yuki Takamiya

Takatoshi Hijiyama

Tomi Kisaragi

Nenji Ogata

Ryouko Shinonome

Renya Gouto

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 22, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hi I finished this game it was pretty good

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Looks like you got a duplication of Juro for Iori.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Or are they twins?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lmao whoops, thanks

Just finished the initial set of prologues and went back to Juro and what the gently caress there's branches? :popeye:

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That confused me for a while until I realised going back to the start of the branch isn't literal it's actually the next day and it's pretty linear.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RareAcumen posted:

Or are they twins?

I mean I haven't played the game yet but secret twin/exact duplicate clone on the protag seems like the kind of anime that might be in this game so I couldn't be sure.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

by visual novel standards this game kicks things off insanely fast

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The lack of descriptive stuff of people walking around and various other bits makes it a lot less wordy than other VNs but yes it's very fast paced.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Sakurazuka posted:

Hi I finished this game it was pretty good

How long was it? I'm itching to play it and not sure I can wait for my gamefly copy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just under 25 hours for 100% which is basically mandatory (the only optional stuff is files you get from S ranking and bonus strategy stage objectives)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lets hang out posted:

by visual novel standards this game kicks things off insanely fast

Yeah, the first two characters had me thinking it was gonna slow-roll some things, but then the rest of the tutorial happened.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Really liking the game so far. The combat is a lot better than I imagined it would be when I first read about it a long while ago. My one complaint is that everyone’s stories feel just a little too disjointed.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
structure question: would it be best to focus on one charcter's story and move on to the next? and also do a combat scenario in between each story section?

just trying to wrap my head around how best to handle the story in this game lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

psychoJ posted:

structure question: would it be best to focus on one charcter's story and move on to the next? and also do a combat scenario in between each story section?

just trying to wrap my head around how best to handle the story in this game lol

There are so many characters and so many plot locks that the expectation cannot be that you're going to play the stories in much of a regimented order, so I've just been going nuts and doing whatever.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Enjoying it and the game looks good but the robots design is so plain

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah the robots look like loving mechs out of Battletech in the sense that these giant monstrosities are exactly functional, but do not look sleek or aesthetically pleasing at all. And I kinda appreciate that for how weird this game is.

But it is kind of funny to me that a character could have just summoned like a Mad Cat out of nowhere and the story would still be exactly the same

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Checking the event archive is very interesting because it will tell you who is featured during certain scenes, sometimes before the point where you have enough clues to figure it out yourself. One person's identity in particular I've figured out from the logs which has made me veeeeeery intrigued.

also IMO spread the protagonists out as thin as possible and don't go too deep in a person's story too early. The deeper you go the more will be just outright told you and it's kind of more satisfying to be drip-fed the clues

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 23, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tended just to stick with one character, you'll be forced to switch eventually anyway as they often require other characters or the strategy game to be at a certain point before you can continue, especially at the start.
Also yeah be careful with the Archive, while I dont think it'll 100% spoil anything it'll sometimes confirm stuff that's only just been hinted at so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I mean I haven't played the game yet but secret twin/exact duplicate clone on the protag seems like the kind of anime that might be in this game so I couldn't be sure.

Yeah, I havent played it either and intend to someday but I have basically no idea what's the combat is like it anything beyond there being big robots in some capacity.

It has two delinquent characters in it though so I'm obligated to play it, after hoping for that to be a trend like two months ago.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Combat is basically an RTS where you're defending a fixed point from waves of enemies like tower defence. It's totally abstracted but it does a good job of feeling like you're firing a hundred missiles a second into thousands of enemies, especially later on.
Gen 2 mechs were the mvps for me, sentry guns, jamming missiles and whatever the expensive melee move was called basically covers everything you night need.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

MechaX posted:

Yeah the robots look like loving mechs out of Battletech in the sense that these giant monstrosities are exactly functional, but do not look sleek or aesthetically pleasing at all. And I kinda appreciate that for how weird this game is.

Even the mechs in Battletech (or Patlabor) have some style. The rest of the art is pretty good though, the backgrounds are really pretty and the nurse might be a bit too much but the rest of the characters are nicely drawn/animated.

I'm also enjoying the non-combat gameplay and I can't stand VNs (this is much better)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've just unlocked all the characters (well unless they do the smart thing and also give me an Okino story) and the game's still going strong. Its slowed down now that i'm out of prologue territory and I need to walk around and collect words to open locks but there's still a lot going on. The writing's easily the best part about the game, the combat is good but i'm finding myself trying to make excuses to ignore it so I can put some more time into the VN. The story is definitely way more of a focus and a much bigger part of the game than the RTS stuff though so that just might be what the developers were intending me to feel.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Does anyone know how many areas the RTS stuff has? I did as much as I could in the one after the prologue before I hit a locked stage and my completion percentage went up a sizable amount.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Prologue + 3 Areas. There's a 4th final area unlocked after you beat the game but it doesn't count for percentage or have any story attached.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Finished the prologue and the first story branch for a few characters and I'm mostly just confused. 13 characters going through a branching path non-linear time travel story is a lot to track. I'm interested to see where it goes and I really like Vanillaware stuff (especially Odin Sphere), though, so I'll probably charge through my confusion until it clicks.

Now to try to figure out how to make Fuyusaka give treats to the cat without getting stuck in an endless loop of soft serve and crepes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

post prologue please i'm begging you all please stay in your own times aaaaaaaa :psyboom:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, just got to a reveal that seems ridiculously massive for how early I saw it (Morimura is future Iori!?!?)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's a lot of reveals that I feel are happening way earlier than I'd expect. So i'm super excited to see what the actual big twists are.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is there any replay value?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lets hang out posted:

post prologue please i'm begging you all please stay in your own times aaaaaaaa :psyboom:

lol i love how often you see someone and go "okay when did you get here"

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

game owns, im playing the rts part on normal and having an easy time with all the upgrades that you can roll in so i guess ill try intense until i get knocked back down

lots of tiny enemies that you can take out with any of the long range missile attacks are like crack to me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Question for people who've played more than me: how should I be spending Mystery Points? Just got to a point with Yuki where I feel like I can't progress without getting a keyword that I can't find anywhere, but I noticed is one of my locked Mystery Files. Should I just open that? Is there any reason not to?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I did the first non-prologue combat mission on insane and it was fun. The big difference is actually having to worry about your unit's health, the time to kill is pretty similar in that you still mow down the low-level enemies immediately. It's certainly not The Best Game but it's totally fine and better than I was expecting from what people were saying

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Arist posted:

Question for people who've played more than me: how should I be spending Mystery Points? Just got to a point with Yuki where I feel like I can't progress without getting a keyword that I can't find anywhere, but I noticed is one of my locked Mystery Files. Should I just open that? Is there any reason not to?

Spend them on topics you're interested in learning more about, as far as I can tell there's nothing tied to specific unlocks (although there's some storylines that require you to unlock a certain amount of mysteries).

Try checking your route map for the keyword you're missing would be my best advice.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Also you get like two mystery points per battle I think so go nuts. I was kind of worried about spending them until I realized how quick you can rack up a few

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no reason not to spend mystery points soon as you get them and once you've unlocked everything possible with them the game starts converting them into upgrade points at a fairly decent rate instead.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This game's buckwild. I'm at 33% story and I'm hitting pretty consistent parts where I pause the game and say "haha what the gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*every Sci-Fi from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*