Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm about 80 on almost everyone with a good chunk cleared and if UC is what I think it is I'm going to yell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm about 80 on almost everyone with a good chunk cleared and if UC is what I think it is I'm going to yell

Dr. Strangekink or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Yakisoba Pan

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MorningMoon posted:

Love the Yakisoba Pan

But have you considered hemborger?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I made both hamburger steak and yakisoba pan because of this game.

They were both good, but:

Hamburger steak gets pretty labor intensive (specifically in dicing ingredients and kneading the meat patties) for what ended up only being a slightly different experience from if I had just cooked a burger or ground beef dish with the same ingredients. (Note I didn't have ground pork on hand which the recipe traditionally calls for in mixing, but I don't know how much that changes things)

Yakisoba pan is kind of a unique texture on its own and I would eat yakisoba anyway so it's all upside imo

Edit: documentation

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 7, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

motherbox posted:

I just got to a revelation regarding Natsuno's mother, and this game is the closest I've come to the feeling of watching Lost since that show aired. I'm really enjoying the fact that I can play three story segments and be certain that my understanding of the story will end in a radically different place than when I started. I'm just over 50% story completion and I've only done the first half of the first city's combat encounters and I like the combat encounters (and I generally dislike visual novels). What a game.

I literally just got to this part too and oh my loving god I yelled

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I need to figure out how to get my wife to play this, so I can feed off of her first time playthrough vibes in real time.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

motherbox posted:

I just got to a revelation regarding Natsuno's mother, and this game is the closest I've come to the feeling of watching Lost since that show aired. I'm really enjoying the fact that I can play three story segments and be certain that my understanding of the story will end in a radically different place than when I started. I'm just over 50% story completion and I've only done the first half of the first city's combat encounters and I like the combat encounters (and I generally dislike visual novels). What a game.

somebody remind me of this because it's been too long since I played

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

morallyobjected posted:

somebody remind me of this because it's been too long since I played

Yuki from 2188

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

bees x1000 posted:

I need to figure out how to get my wife to play this, so I can feed off of her first time playthrough vibes in real time.

I mean it's got a bunch of extremely adorable romance if that matters to her :shrug: (the romances are my favorite parts I think ngl)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

willing to settle posted:

It's been 5000 years since they made planetfall, but a couple of million years total. The light years to the nearest candidate thing is kind of a red herring, there are a ridiculously huge number of terraforming missions thanks to the self-replicating probes, this just happens to be the story of one that took a couple of million years to find somewhere to settle. This is the reason the loops are going to stop working, the facility the terraforming bots made to house the clones while they were aged up/socialized had a 5000 year operating limit (per the analysis page). So after this loop they'll have to break it down and build a new one.
As for length of time related spoilers:

One of the post-game revealed data entries reveals that it's been 20 million years to reach the planet, and yeah, ~4800 years (300 loops) in the cloning facility, which is about to break down due to its ~5000 year operating capacity.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I finally picked this up after getting sold on it in the Castle Superbeast thread. I have nothing to say about it yet other than it is very pretty and, I assume, very horny

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Deified Data posted:

I assume, very horny

it's really not

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The horniest part about it is that 80% of the girls have their activation code somewhere on their body that'd normally be covered by clothes (so they have to do a little animation where they lift their skirt to touch their thigh or whatever), while like every single boy has it on their hand or face.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Morimura

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well plus they're completely naked on their machines

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Well plus they're completely naked on their machines

This was the big reason my friend gave for not continuing with the game beyond the first time he tried it out. I guess I watch enough anime/sci-fi poo poo that it didn't even seem out of place to me. I didn't want to spoil anything by telling him it'd all make more sense why in the end, but I did just try to tell him the game wasn't horny at all.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

thing is the nakedness is mentioned maybe twice, nothing is ever shown and it's never played pervy. it's about as horny as saying they're naked under their clothes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Part of a character's arc is dealing with being horny

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
13 sentienalsvliterally has less nudity than a season of digimon

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This game is good so far. I like sexually confused yakisoba pan boy. Just finished track girl's prologue. Just a really beautiful game to look at and the mech battles are surprisingly fun

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What a incredibly heartwarming ending, goodness.

I'm glad my literally insane idea was wrong. I started thinking that UC was the playstation 4 controller and started connecting dots like 'to use the skills we have to trick it into thinking it's in danger.' and other things. Just spent the last few bits going 'when is this going to get really meta.' only to realize at the finish line that it wasn't going to go that far.

"WAIT IS THAT WHY JURO TURNS TO FACE THE CAMERA ON THE TITLE SCREEN???"

Head feels lumpy trying to process everything but what a good story.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What a incredibly heartwarming ending, goodness.

I'm glad my literally insane idea was wrong. I started thinking that UC was the playstation 4 controller and started connecting dots like 'to use the skills we have to trick it into thinking it's in danger.' and other things. Just spent the last few bits going 'when is this going to get really meta.' only to realize at the finish line that it wasn't going to go that far.

"WAIT IS THAT WHY JURO TURNS TO FACE THE CAMERA ON THE TITLE SCREEN???"

Head feels lumpy trying to process everything but what a good story.

That was not what I expected you to have expected.

But yeah, don't forget to check the archives, there's new stuff there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Xarbala posted:

That was not what I expected you to have expected.

But yeah, don't forget to check the archives, there's new stuff there.

Keep in mind that (general spoilers) a lot of the final stuff I had near the end was talk about how it's a game, it's based off a video game, you gotta get *meta* points, don't game over now etc. "Wait is the pause screen Universal Control- like when I load game I'm pulling them from that??? That's why nobody can go into it or anything???

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have finished all the prologues and oh boy this game is something else

Here's kind of a weird question. The answer might be spoilery, so if it is feel free to say so and let me figure it out on my own, but what is the nature of the divergent paths on each character's timeline? Are these alternate timelines? Alternate dimensions? Are there as many copies of character x or y as there are branches on their timeline? To give a more specific super early game example (picked at random), when Iori is asked to break the tie between crepes or soft serve, which one actually happened? Both simultaneously?

As I said if the game explains what the divergent branches actually are I'm totally fine with just waiting til then

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Deified Data posted:

Here's kind of a weird question. The answer might be spoilery, so if it is feel free to say so and let me figure it out on my own, but what is the nature of the divergent paths on each character's timeline? Are these alternate timelines? Alternate dimensions? Are there as many copies of character x or y as there are branches on their timeline? To give a more specific super early game example (picked at random), when Iori is asked to break the tie between crepes or soft serve, which one actually happened? Both simultaneously?

As I said if the game explains what the divergent branches actually are I'm totally fine with just waiting til then

Just keep playing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Actually “Just keep playing” is the answer to every plot question that comes up, really.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Hopefully it doesn't sound flippant because the answer really is "just keep playing". The writing and structure of the game is really good at making you wonder just that sort of thing and then rewarding your wondering

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Not flippant at all, I was kinda expecting it lol. Thanks for letting me know.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

yakisoba hemborger tales is $30 again until Feb 25th.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA19610_00-BSTUBCUSA1961000

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
I used to enjoy reading through posts in the Virtue's Last Reward thread from people as they were playing the game and trying to figure things out, and so at around 50% story/destruction completion I thought I'd document where I think things are going to collect my own thoughts and amuse those who have completed the game as they read how far off my guesses are.

So, here's where things stand for me:

Spoilers for the first half or so of story and the first half of area 2 of destruction mode (some characters are further than others), and a whole bunch of speculation that is probably way off follow:

High Level Thoughts: Are any of these people real? There are definitely some signs pointing towards them all being AIs/reconstructions from data. It's not clear if the entire world is a simulation, or only parts of it. Maybe all of the characters are just AIs that operate the Sentinels, created by scanning the brains of real people, and the game is running the AIs through aspects of the lives of the original humans to configure/program/prepare the AIs? Also, it seems like the time travel is the kind where each universe is on its own track, and you can jump between them but changes in the past in one timeline don't impact another? Alternatively, maybe it just looks like time travel is happening but they're just moving geographically? Why do they call given timelines "sectors"?

Juro Kurabe - roughly 70%: The game just confirmed Shiba isn't real, which felt good since I caught that before the reveal. Other routes indicate he becomes a villain (saw Shu's dream interrogating the Juro/426 android), and I guess this happens by having some of his personality overwritten by the Shiba program. That also implies his entire world is virtual, similar to Ogata's path. Does overwriting his memories make him a bad guy, or was he always a bad guy? Is he actually a bad guy? I dunno. Also, could there be some timeloop shenanigans going on here where Juro becomes evil because he gets Evil!Juro downloaded into him, then proceeds to go back in time to download himself into Good!Juro?

Iori Fuyusaka - Roughly 50%: So, she's also Ms. Morimura, or a clone of her. It's been a while since I've played any part of her route, but if she and Morimura are the same person, it makes me wonder which other characters might be time-shifted versions of each other.

Natsuno Minami - Roughly 80%: Might just be the order I'm playing, but this route seems like one of the most packed with WTF twists. Just found out that Yuki is apparently her mother in the future/some other world, which is a nice twist to explain their affection for one another - how many other characters are going to turn out to be related to one another? Are the protagonists the same characters as their older namesakes, or just the people on which the AIs might have been based? Also, the reveal about human DNA being sent to other planets was wild - is everyone a clone? Maybe a clone that is going to get their original minds downloaded into, or an AI mimicing the person? Is that what the talk of "compatibility" in some of the other routes is about?

Keitaro Miura- Roughly 50%: Dunno what this guy's deal is. The scar on his forehead indicates some kind of brain fuckery I guess, and the way they refer to BJ as Miura in I think it was Ei's route makes me wonder if Miura is either A) purely an AI; or B) a transplanted brain in a box - Natsuno made some kind of offhand comment about BJ that makes me think maybe the latter.

Nenji Ogata - Completed: This route seemed pretty forgiving on the plot locks so I blasted through it. It was pretty wild with the time loop - reminded me of Source Code with Jake Gyllenhall. In the end though, it didn't feel like there were too many big reveals before jumping right to the "final battle". I still don't know what the deal with the "key" is, but maybe I missed it. What happened between when he escaped from the simulation with Megumi's help and the scene at the final battle where he proclaims his love for Tomi?

Tomi Kisaragi - 50% or so: I'm struggling to recall exactly what the last scene I saw for her is. It seems like there are a bunch of different versions of her interacting with the other characters - are they all androids?

Shu Amiguchi - 80% or so: Is Shu Tetsuya Ida or not? If so, it seems like he has a fair amount of blame for whatever all of this is. Evil!Juro kills his girlfriend, he dedicates himself to android science to bring her back by downloading an AI built from her into a version of her from another timeline, then manages to get Evil!Juro downloaded into the android version of his girlfriend. Did Ida name the evil Juro android 426 because it was the 426th time he resurrected him to torture/interrogate him? That seems bad.

Seems a bit sketchy that Shu is the best at everything, super smart, and beloved by everyone. Is this just a simulation where he made himself the main character? Also, is he really the same Tetsuya Ida that Yuki and Ryoko interact with? That guy seems really different from android scientist goon Tetsuya Ida from the future.

Ei Sekigahara - 70% or so: So this path seems like it's all about explaining the brain copying tech that Okino developed. So there's a memory wiping virus named after the evil Juro android wiping the protagonists' memories, and the cure is to replace your personality/memories with an AI that then merges with your brain to mimic the original person. It still feels like I'm missing a bunch of pieces as to who Ei is, his mission, and why he's on the run. The voice on the walkie talkie sounds a lot like the cat - I guess it's probably the same person.

Yuki Takamiya- 50% or so : So somehow she's Natsuno's mom in an alternate timeline/future? I don't think I've hit anything else super weird in her timeline yet.

Takatoshi Hijiyama- 50% or so: So I've hit a big lock with this guy until a bunch of the other protagonists are caught up, so I'm guessing a big reveal is coming soon. It feels like he's the most "realistically" affected by the time travel in terms of how he's adjusting. Love the yakisoba pan jokes, but other than sexual confusion and patriotism, I'm not quite sure what this guy's deal is. Can everyone else see the Sentinel!Okino in the battle scenes, or is it just him? If so, why does he have to share with Okino instead of each getting their own sentinel? Or, if Okino is in a separate sentinel, why aren't they playable? Or maybe he's got multiple personality disorder or something and Okino and Hijiyama are the same person?

Ryoko Shinonome- 37%ish : Hard to read what's going on in this route so far. Seems like her characterization is primarily "losing her memory" and "taking pills". I guess she kind of looks like that idol that keeps popping up in the various electronics - maybe that's her angle?

Megumi Yakushiji- 50% or so: So, the talking cat tells her to shoot/inject/?murder? people. Is the cat in her mind, a la Shiba, or a way for a person in the real world to communicate into a virtual world? My big guess for her is a similar reveal to Yuki/Natsuno, and that Megumi is actually a version of Juro's grandmother from the past/future, hence the reason Grandma Kurabe is "out of town" as soon as Megumi moves into the same house (and starts doing all of the cooking) - it seems like she otherwise is a bit disconnected from the rest of the cast, so she's probably actually the same person as someone else in another time. Dick move by the game early on having the 6 month time skip where somehow "6 months later" is 40 years in the past - I suppose that was an early indication for how all this was going to go down.

Renya Gouto - 14%: Beats the hell out of me - I'm locked at 14% until I nearly finish everyone else. Might as well call the guy "Mr. True Ending"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
does anywhere have a good recap of the whole plot? there are always some details I forget. like it's been thousands of years in the pod, right? so were they cryogenically preserved during this time or were they only made into people recently?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

does anywhere have a good recap of the whole plot? there are always some details I forget. like it's been thousands of years in the pod, right? so were they cryogenically preserved during this time or were they only made into people recently?

iirc it's been hundreds if not thousands of years since earth ended, but the system only started growing the DNA seeds into actual people once it landed- the mining and development equipment that the sim read as kaiju would terraform things for them on the planet while they were growing.

Of course that didn't go as planned because the system kept looping once the kaiju killed everyone, so by the time they leave the pods, they've been on the planet for at least 60 years (but probably longer- it's implied there could be many, many prior loops)

*edit* nm I'm dumb, a post near the top of the page has the actual figures.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 11, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the time frame is some real Asimov-level, hard sci-fi existential dread level poo poo. This has been going on for millennia just on this planet alone, and if the 5000 year operating limit were reached they'd probably have to reboot the whole thing and all those stored sapiences would be lost, on top of the biological living humans still in their pods. For that matter, the scope of the events taking place across the universe is equally intimidating.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Xarbala posted:

Yeah the time frame is some real Asimov-level, hard sci-fi existential dread level poo poo. This has been going on for millennia just on this planet alone, and if the 5000 year operating limit were reached they'd probably have to reboot the whole thing and all those stored sapiences would be lost, on top of the biological living humans still in their pods. For that matter, the scope of the events taking place across the universe is equally intimidating.
Yeah, a few things (complete ending spoilers)

-The bodies in the pods are broken down every time there is a loop, so 300x15 actual humans have been killed over the 4,800 years. Only in the past couple of loops have a scant few of the humans figured out how to back up their memories to a simulated AI that is stored in Sector 0. I'm wondering if the surviving characters will eventually make a memorial to all of the forgotten clones that lived and died over the 300 loops.

-The galaxy/universe-wide colonization project is interesting and scary because it makes you wonder what the percentage of success is for overcoming Ryoko's sabotage. If it's really low, could this be the only successful colony? I think it all depends on whether the cloning facility is just a one-and-done building or if the terraforming ship in orbit could just make another one. It seems much less stressful on the "fate of humanity" plot if the ship could just make another 5,000-year facility after the first one fails. If that was the case, eventually some version of the characters would break out (on a long enough timescale).

-I want to imagine a "way in the future" epilogue where multiple space-faring human civilizations meet each other and all acknowledge that they were founded by the same group of 15 clones.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, a few things (complete ending spoilers)

-The bodies in the pods are broken down every time there is a loop, so 300x15 actual humans have been killed over the 4,800 years. Only in the past couple of loops have a scant few of the humans figured out how to back up their memories to a simulated AI that is stored in Sector 0. I'm wondering if the surviving characters will eventually make a memorial to all of the forgotten clones that lived and died over the 300 loops.

-The galaxy/universe-wide colonization project is interesting and scary because it makes you wonder what the percentage of success is for overcoming Ryoko's sabotage. If it's really low, could this be the only successful colony? I think it all depends on whether the cloning facility is just a one-and-done building or if the terraforming ship in orbit could just make another one. It seems much less stressful on the "fate of humanity" plot if the ship could just make another 5,000-year facility after the first one fails. If that was the case, eventually some version of the characters would break out (on a long enough timescale).

-I want to imagine a "way in the future" epilogue where multiple space-faring human civilizations meet each other and all acknowledge that they were founded by the same group of 15 clones.

This poo poo gives me anxiety just thinking about it. Hell it's why I can't play that new Dyson Sphere factory game, that scale of technology and engineering terrified me on an existential level. Though the idea of future post-seeding civilizations making contact with each other and comparing notes would be pretty fantastic.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Take it there's nothing else quite like this game right? Bought it in the Christmas sales based on it being in a lot of GoTY lists and then started it on Saturday, finished it last night. Definitely fantastic (though yeah, a couple characters storylines felt like they got slightly truncated or whatever and it seems like that is true from what was said earlier in the thread) and now I'm looking for something that might scratch that same itch to play in the future.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, there's some VN's with similar structures, the Zero Escape games, and you could try Odin Sphere (the newer version not the PS2 one) it's much more gameplay focused though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Take it there's nothing else quite like this game right? Bought it in the Christmas sales based on it being in a lot of GoTY lists and then started it on Saturday, finished it last night. Definitely fantastic (though yeah, a couple characters storylines felt like they got slightly truncated or whatever and it seems like that is true from what was said earlier in the thread) and now I'm looking for something that might scratch that same itch to play in the future.

AI Somnium Files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I immediately went into AI: The Somnium Files after this and am forcing myself to play it because it's so booooooooring compared to 13 Sentinels. I nearly fell asleep as the dialogue was auto-advancing at one point.

It's weird, too, since I'm a huge fan of the creator's other games (999, VLR, ZTD) and was hoping for the same kind of tense "edge-of-your-seat" plot. Nah, it's super low-stakes and almost all the humor is badly translated Japanese jokes or main-character-horny poo poo. It also has another "large trans woman bartender" character which I think is a tired trope in Japanese media (maybe?) that the translators had to work around and make not as offensive even though she's a total inappropriate horndog at times. I'm hoping that I'm in just one bad story path and the other branches are more interesting...

Kinda wish I started Danganronpa V3 instead as it's the only one in that series I didn't finish yet.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 11, 2021