Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ryoko kinda sucks and while 13 is a cool number, I think they definitely could have cut a few characters from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryoko has 2 sentry turrets and is pretty messed up which is cool imo.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ryoko has 2 sentry turrets and is pretty messed up which is cool imo.
Oh, gameplay-wise she was definitely my number 1 team member, but I dreaded going back to her story chapters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ryoko and Gotou were both unneeded and they could have been replaced with the other major characters

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, Ryoko's pretty involved in things. She's the one that kills Ida after all.

She's got pretty decent roles in other stories and although her own route is mostly her wandering about and hitting flashbacks, they're often pretty important. Like, Amiguchi's route ends with him trying to save Yuki but her teleporting away with Ida and early Ryoko's route has the resolution to that scene.

It's not like Gouto where he's barely involved in other routes and his story is pretty much just him and Morimura.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just didn't like how so much of her stories were "ohhhh, headachhhhhhe, take a pillllll, what's going on... oooohh, head hurts..." and it was like that over and over again.

Also
we really needed at least one direct flashback scene to her getting screwed over in the original real-world past. It's the most important reason for why the game's story exists, for heaven's sake and we don't see it.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 5, 2021

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Shinonome's, like, a catastrophe nexus.

She spends the entire game basically getting poo poo on by life, ruthlessly taken advantage of by Ida N-1, knowing she's gradually losing her memories, trying desperately to piece together some aspect of the clusterfuck going on around her, and either never being taken seriously or seeming to her not to be being taken seriously by everyone she meets. She gets to discover - twice! - that she's basically responsible for ending the world. She gets one good piece of closure by way of getting to loving terminate Ida, and she doesn't even remember it. Even here, outside of the game, she just gets poo poo on! God drat!

I do think it's kinda weird we never actually see what happened in 2188 that caused her to make the D-code.

Gouto's a weird one.

It's not often you see a story of this sort get a little less interesting towards the end, but I guess the thinking might have been, they needed to have some kind of a designated Final Revelation of some sort, to have some kind of reliable lead-in to the final battle in place, and Gouto's there to be the Endgame Guy, who puts together the last handful of dots and figures it out. The game, as always, plays completely fair here; Gouto brings it up kind of out of nowhere in his own story, but the player has had I think two chances to process the Big Gigantic Hint that the game casually drops where Chihiro refers to Miura as a design engineer. Gouto's story itself is, yeah, kind of odd in that it's basically coming straight into the denouement in a detective novel without seeing the crime or the investigation, it's kind of the mystery novel equivalent of the Family Guy cutaway joke, hey Lois, remember when you said that thing that doesn't logically fit with what we know? But someone had to be the Chihiro Exposition Guy, and it really couldn't have been anyone else, and besides, Gouto's also pulling double duty as the sort-of-incidental-true-villain behind 2188, in that his bullshit was why Morimura got into contact with Kengo and started doing crimes, and his attempt to cover that up was why humanity's last power generator blew up and Ark was launched in such a hurry.

One thing I don't fully get about them is, why are they sempais in the simulation? The clones should all be the same age, no?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Fedule posted:

One thing I don't fully get about them is, why are they sempais in the simulation? The clones should all be the same age, no?
Presumably their birthdays are early in the calendar year, on the other side of the cutoff that decides which year you start school in. But I don't know what the rules for that are in 2050s Japan.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

anyone who wants to cut any of the characters out of this game is wrong wtf

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Agrias120 posted:

Yeah man, I had to sit and think about Hemborger vs Yakisoba-pan too when I finished it up.

After cooking most of the relevant dishes, the ranking is

1. Nikuman
2. Crepes
3. Yakisoba Pan
4. Hemborger
5. Hot Dogs

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Fedule posted:

Interviews with Kamitani have revealed that the clones are created in 24-day cycles so there's a gap between each. This is one of those things that apparently got cut for time when they halved the scenario length.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Is Juro Izumi a non-fungible token?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jen X posted:

Interviews with Kamitani have revealed that the clones are created in 24-day cycles so there's a gap between each. This is one of those things that apparently got cut for time when they halved the scenario length.

Though understandable considering what they were trying to achieve I am always slightly disappointed when I hear about cut content as the closest thing to a complaint I have about the game is that I wish there was more of it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jen X posted:

That's a loss for sure but I think the scenario length was just about perfect tbh. It never really got to overstay its welcome and left me hungry for more.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ah poo poo, here we go again with the spoiler questions. I'm misunderstanding something.

In 2188, Ei Sekigahara arrived on the space colony and was told by Chihiro Morimura that the 10 people aboard (which I presume not to include Sekigahara himself) were the last remnants of humanity. He then detonates a bomb in the power generator. Presumably he then kills Morimura.

Also in 2188, a dispute over whether to power life support or Project Ark escalated into a shootout, in which 4 people (Nenji Ogata, Tsukasa Okino, Juro Izumi and (not immediately) Takatoshi Hijiyama) die.

Also in 2188, Juro Izumi made the alteration to the Morimura clone's memories that will overwrite them with those of the 2188 Morimura. Morimura would have done this herself, but she was assassinated, so Izumi did it for her.

There does not seem to me to be a possible ordering for these three events that does not create a contradiction.

The shootout must have happened before Sekigahara arrives, because the shootout is why there are 10 and not 14 survivors. The memory alteration must happen before the shootout because Izumi, who makes the alteration, dies in the shootout. Sekigahara arriving must happen before the memory alteration because Morimura was dead when it took place which is why Izumi had to do it, but alive when Sekigahara arrived.

Something has to be wrong here.

It occurs to me that the number of deaths during the shootout might be a coincidence, and that maybe four other people died by the time Sekigahara arrives, so maybe that happened, then he arrived to a colony of 10, then killed Morimura, then Izumi did the hax, then the shootout happened and actually the power dispute was basically caused by his bomb? It seems like this has to be the case, but then who died and when? The only clear references I can find to the named character dying in 2188 is in the shootout or by assassination.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IIRC seven people die in the shootout, we just only know the identities of those four. I believe, last I checked, that nine people were alive before that and seven die there, leaving just Ida and Ryoko alive.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Arist posted:

IIRC seven people die in the shootout, we just only know the identities of those four. I believe, last I checked, that nine people were alive before that and seven die there, leaving just Ida and Ryoko alive.

This seems to track with some other details, but the game's frustratingly vague about all this, huh.

Today's full spoiler:

What exactly was the big final plan that Inaba did to make the shutdown happen? I'm not entirely clear on what the situation is with the terminals and Universal Control and exactly what happened and why it worked. In my current understanding:

Universal Control is supposed to identify and remove foreign threats like an antivirus, but because the D-Code is in the nanomachines of the clones, it is considered to be benign, so it itself and the Deimos are considered to be a normal part of the simulation. Okay.

(Presumably it also doesn't mind the new and original Deimos models that the video game starts producing to balance the evolving Sentinels, which aren't coming from the D-Code because the game is a part of UC so technically that's all its own work and also normal.)

The Deimos then set about destroying terminals. This would be a problem for UC, except that it happens quickly enough that UC isn't able to identify the threat before the terminal is destroyed, as presumably happened during most of the loops. Is this right?

Later, once the gang figures out Aegis, they can make the terminals lock out the Deimos, but this cuts the terminal completely off from UC, so UC can't see the completely hosed environment and mass casualties and infer that something's wrong. Still right?

So, Inaba's big plan (which was apparently masterminded by 426? When did he figure this out?) is to link the satellite up with the mainframe (this is presumably the "processing" she spends most of Destruction working on?) and basically reboot the terminals ("broadcast the terminal link signal" is the exact phrasing she uses), which will basically undo Aegis in one or more areas, which will allow Universal Control to actually see that everything is busted and register an error (which I guess is what you spend the very final battle waiting out).

Is all this correct?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Arist posted:

Just did Miura's "Where Do We Come From?"

:psypop:
From page 2. I think this cutscene was where the game politely informed me that I had no loving clue what was going on, even when I thought I was slowly getting a handle on things :cry:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Concurred posted:

From page 2. I think this cutscene was where the game politely informed me that I had no loving clue what was going on, even when I thought I was slowly getting a handle on things :cry:

I think everyone in this thread had one of those moments. For me it was in Juro's route when he has the dream of 424 butchering the other pilots. It was very early on in my run and all I could do was just stare at the screen.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1370259497550241792

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Jeez, it's incredible they made this game with just 29 people (just looked up Vanillaware) though I assume they have a lot of contract help and stuff. They seem to make one game per generation (remake of Odin Sphere and rerelease of Dragons Crown aside) so maybe 13 Sentinels will get more love in a couple years if they do the same thing? Hopefully they do alright though, they've shot up to being one of those devs I'll always pay attention to now.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 12, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just watched a Swedish sci-fi film called Aniara last night that reminded me of some of the topics covered in the game: mainly the colony ship ideas and the vastness of time and space.

It’s a bit of a bummer nihilistic movie (or not, depending on how you view humanity’s existence).
I personally liked it a lot.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't think

I'm on Earth

I look forward to being wrong AGAIN in a few hours

or minutes

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

victrix posted:

I don't think

I'm on Earth

I look forward to being wrong AGAIN in a few hours

or minutes
Enjoy the ride :angel:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=YYqoW7UnK9g&ab_channel=TheLCC

the Remix album is out. The game's OST is a 10/10 but this is a 12/10

only click if you've beaten the game. Cover art is spoilers.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 14, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MorningMoon posted:

the Remix album is out. The game's OST is a 10/10 but this is a 12/10

You should, uh, maybe not link that directly, considering the cover art is spoilers

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

you're loving right. Edited.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Based on the handful of tracks I've listened to so far this appears to be an excellent compilation of Deoxyribose remixes.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Fedule posted:

Based on the handful of tracks I've listened to so far this appears to be an excellent compilation of Deoxyribose remixes.

Worth the ten bucks on apple store.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I listened to two tracks and bought it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

lol

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gently caress lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

gently caress.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Fedule posted:

I wish, that's the track on the original OST I come back to again and again. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any Deoxyribose remixes on the remix album.
Instead, I there are more incorporations of Brat Overflow in various tracks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a specific part of Deoxyribose that's in like half the tracks, is what they mean by that

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I wish they'd have NOW OR NEVER in there.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Arist posted:

There's a specific part of Deoxyribose that's in like half the tracks, is what they mean by that
Which tracks have the Deoxyribose parts, I can't quite place it...?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JazzFlight posted:

Which tracks have the Deoxyribose parts, I can't quite place it...?

Can't check right now, but it's this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDdJvfvdcUA&t=236s

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Did anyone else get yanked out of the game when this track hit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U7XtyHi_Xg
First time I heard it was in an important scene and I was just insanely confused for the first six seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Biggest ‘oh hell yeah’ music moments for me were the obvious ones, Seaside Vacation and when the title theme fades back in during the finale.