Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Question - Is there a "best" or at least "better" way to tackle the order of doing story and battles and what not?

I had played the game for a while last year and my wife was enjoying watching the story. Unfortunately, work got so busy that I had to shelf the game for a while and, well, now a year has passed and we are thinking of starting it over.

When we were playing last time, we would pick a character, play their story until we reached a lock, then move on to the next character. Once all the characters were locked, I started doing combat missions.

I don't know if this was the best way. I felt like we often would forget who certain characters were, having spent so much time away from them. Or we'd forget what a character's story arc was because they'd get locked after one mission and it'd be forever before we'd get back to them.

Is there any good way to tackle the game that balances all these factors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Personally, I feel the game works best when you're jumping back and forth between characters about as often as you can, but I understand that it can be a lot to keep in your mind. As for managing characters the game locks off for long periods, there's no way around the fact that there's a couple of characters who have extremely stringent locks and won't be available for most of the game. The good news for both of the things I just mentioned is that the game actually does have a bunch of tools to manage confusion or just forgetting: the Analysis tab, which can be accessed at any time, even in the middle of a story event. If you forget a character's story, either check their flowchart or their tab in the Event Archive for a refresher. The game very much expects you to do this.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

all story > all destruction > all story > all destruction

worked for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

S.J. posted:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but are there any significant differences between the switch and PS4 releases?

Aside from what others said, the performance is a bit better on Switch and a couple lines have had updated translations

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Waffleman_ posted:

Aside from what others said, the performance is a bit better on Switch and a couple lines have had updated translations

Oh really? That's surprising. Even the combat stuff?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Missile Rain doesn't slow down as bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Question - Is there a "best" or at least "better" way to tackle the order of doing story and battles and what not?

I think that the best way to tackle the game would be to try to spread your game time even between all available characters and then do the battles once they become a lock for story content.

I have focused very much on one character at a time and I felt that certain reveals didn't work as well as they could have otherwise.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
On August 4th the PS4 version's getting patched to bring it to parity with the Switch version. Enjoy them sentries while they last. But also look forward to the new techs.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Fedule posted:

On August 4th the PS4 version's getting patched to bring it to parity with the Switch version. Enjoy them sentries while they last. But also look forward to the new techs.

Guess I know what I'm replaying in August!

Also would be nice if they can optimize the performance like the Switch version but that's probably not feasible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fedule posted:

Oooh. Guess I'll wait until August to start my playthrough.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

PunkBoy posted:

Guess I know what I'm replaying in August!

Also would be nice if they can optimize the performance like the Switch version but that's probably not feasible.

Depending on exactly what they optimised it may well be feasible, like, if it was all middleware stuff and logic it will be almost automatic, but if it was deep nonsense specific to Tegra it'll be a long shot. But at the same time, the VN parts all ran at a perfect 60 anyway, there were literally zero load times, and the Missile Rain Dip was very aesthetic and we all loved it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Fedule posted:

That's pretty cool honestly, usually when a new version of a game comes out the old version is left as is.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Fedule posted:

Depending on exactly what they optimised it may well be feasible, like, if it was all middleware stuff and logic it will be almost automatic, but if it was deep nonsense specific to Tegra it'll be a long shot. But at the same time, the VN parts all ran at a perfect 60 anyway, there were literally zero load times, and the Missile Rain Dip was very aesthetic and we all loved it.

Yeah, I would be perfectly fine with Missile Rain keeping as is. Felt oddly satisfying to cause so much destruction that the console couldn't keep up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Another friend is going through the game and this flashed in my head

https://i.imgur.com/1IylAvP.jpg

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

Another friend is going through the game and this flashed in my head

https://i.imgur.com/1IylAvP.jpg

Oh this is good

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Love it, thank you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPWLXsmwgB8

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, I laughed

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hello friends I have experienced the passion of yakisoba pan.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

How was it?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I like it but my wife and everyone else I've told about it is very uninterested. The bread is key though, this place uses a really good bun for it. Definitely worth trying.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At some point this week the PS4 version updated to 1.02, which adds in the changes to Destruction mode from the Switch release.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I had to manually check for the update but yeah it's there. It's been nearly 2 years since I played last, putting this in the queue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

At some point this week the PS4 version updated to 1.02, which adds in the changes to Destruction mode from the Switch release.

Does it add the translation changes as well?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

Does it add the translation changes as well?

I don't think there are any. There's nothing in the patch notes about it and I couldn't find anything in a direct script comparison.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Third anniversary art :gbsmith:

https://twitter.com/13sar_atlus/status/1590902507148312576?t=ra04n0GYBRhvemMygbqR-w&s=19

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

A bunch of goofballs

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arist posted:

I wish the game was out on Steam so I could play the game a second time. Not interested in Switch games.

I platinumed the game and technically the content I had left was the combat, which is really good! but I was done with it at that point.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

They even included Tamao unlike the actual game!

Just finished this game and, wow, what a journey. They really got me with the terraforming kaiju. The fact that they were landscaping robots completely threw me. This game is a masterclass in red herrings - I mean the time zone thing is genius. The game makes you think you've worked it out only to throw it back in your face. It practically tells you the final twist with the "Mighty Kaiju Deimos code" thing but I completely blanked out on it.

Good game! And those kids are soooo cute!!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ouuuu I wish I was ready to replay this gaaaame

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Updog Scully posted:

They even included Tamao unlike the actual game!

Just finished this game and, wow, what a journey. They really got me with the terraforming kaiju. The fact that they were landscaping robots completely threw me. This game is a masterclass in red herrings - I mean the time zone thing is genius. The game makes you think you've worked it out only to throw it back in your face. It practically tells you the final twist with the "Mighty Kaiju Deimos code" thing but I completely blanked out on it.

Good game! And those kids are soooo cute!!

The game is just this over and over and i love it

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
My story experience was alternating between 11 of the characters, getting my brain fried, then switching to Fuyusaka and Hijiyama to just vibe out and eat a shitload of food :diet:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Just checking in a couple years later to note that: yes, I am still in awe of this game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Easily the most entertaining video game story I've ever seen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vanillaware have announced that 13 Sentinels has now surpassed 1 million copies sold. It deserves a lot more than that honestly.
If only they would release a PC version.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Are any of their games on PC? Honestly I just want Muramasa with all the DLC on something other than the Vita.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Been feeling that mood for fuckin ages

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Nope, it’s already a miracle a vanillaware game made it off a Sony platform.

Too bad at their pace we won’t see another new game for another couple years.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Some games get 10x as many sales, but everything about them gets forgotten the second you move on to another game, but every goddamn one of the mere 1 million people who played 13 Sentinels is going to remember it for the rest of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's a shame, this should've been their persona 3 moment.