Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Miwako gang represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I made it through the tutorial and have been hooked on the story, but the combat seems kinda....bad? Do later chapters show what you're doing or is it ok to choose casual and keep using the multi lock missles?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The combat transforms into something totally different once you bust out of the tutorial and becomes like, a resource-management endurance run, but yeah the option of playing on Casual and just totally ignoring it also exists

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The combat isn't really that hard anyway, with liberal use of the "give everyone on your team another turn right now" power. I S-ranked and did the optional objectives of all missions except two or three on my first try. (This was on Normal difficulty)

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
I played the whole game on intense, and i had to retry maybe 3-4 missions to get an S rank - and that's mostly because I wanted to keep my win streak going and have everyone around the same level, so I sometimes ended up with a weird team for the job at hand. Once you figure out what the broken moves are (and almost everybody has at least one) there's very little challenge to be found.

As a change of pace from the story parts it works well enough, but you shouldn't expect it to be much more than that.

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
I played through the whole thing (except the extra maps) on Normal too and like the others have said, it's really not that difficult. You're not penalized or anything for doing them on casual mode so if you want to just breeze through the maps to unlock the story (which is the real draw to this game anyway), then go for it. For me personally, the combat pretty much stopped being any sort of difficult as soon as Nenji got his Demolisher Blade upgrade and started slicing through the big 'uns in a 270 degree circle like a hot knife through butter, with the rest of the strike team doing cleanup.

At least the combat maps give some neat character and story banter and the music is really good.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

First and second gens were crushingly powerful with demolisher blade and turret spam respectively. 4th gen was a bit of a jack of all trades, capable of doing demolisher blade lite with leg spike and turret spam lite with interceptors, while being more mobile and killing clouds of flying chaff, which was a fine niche. I never really found an outstanding way to use third gen though, railgun spam fell off pretty sharply in the back half of the game and I didn't play around with their other abilities enough to find a standout.

Overall I liked the combat. I think I would have liked it more if I had played it on hard, but even on normal it was kinda satisfying to just annihilate some robots with overpowered spam- it felt reasonably good to play and didn't go on long enough to wear out its welcome.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Super Large Missile is disgustingly powerful on 3rd Gen - the trick is to save it for really big clusters so you can get enough energy back to chain fire it. Missile Rain is really good against clusters of small units as well, and the Railguns are great for sniping shield generators.

They can't solo maps as well as the others, but they are great at thinning out the enemy waves.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Their missile bombardment over like a 120 degree angle was great too like I dunno if it was really useful but I liked using it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've been listening to the OST, which has versions of tracks with more instrumentation and it loving whips. I thought it sounded like Sakimoto and sure enough it was, one of my new favorite soundtracks by him.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Got the plat tonight. Pretty good game, though there's definitely some clunky aspects. [full spoilers]

I don't mind Ogata's story basically being a single beat since he gets screentime elsewhere, and the story is largely about the overarching struggle so it's fine that not all of the characters have big dramatic arcs besides stumbling into the cockpit somehow, but Gouta really stands out as a dude that exists to function as a serious leader guy in Destruction with no prior context and then drop exposition later. He still ultimately works since it's all a result of being fixated on Morimura and thus digging up her stuff, but it would've helped to give him a humanizing scene or two back in his home sector, like meeting her for the first time at least.

Regarding Shinonome, while it doesn't get stated outright in dialogue, the scene name and profile descriptions gave me the impression that she resolved to fight on her own terms rather than still being fixated on Ida. Though speaking of her, I do wish they'd given a bit more context on their relationship in 2188, since as-is it's left pretty blank beyond just letting you imagine how much of a dick 2188 Ida is.

Some of the romantic pairs felt a little weak, though I mostly appreciate it as part of emphasizing that each iteration of the 15 are their own persons, and seeing glimpses of their adult lives in the epilogue is fun. It's funny how Juro and Iori are characters you might initially expect to be set up as a hero/heroine duo, and they are, just not the versions you play as. :v:

Biggest positive surprise for me was probably how much I ended up liking 426. Funny how the guy who gets introduced as a child murderer ends up being one of the least malevolent adult characters.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 29, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Finished the game earlier today and I've got a plot question. What exactly was Sekigahara trying to accomplish between lying to BJ and losing his memories? It felt like he popped up all over in every sector and I have no idea why.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My least favourite thing about the couples is everyone got like actually married except Hiyajima and Okino whose relationship didn't progress in the slightest.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Droyer posted:

Finished the game earlier today and I've got a plot question. What exactly was Sekigahara trying to accomplish between lying to BJ and losing his memories? It felt like he popped up all over in every sector and I have no idea why.

The memory loss wasn't something he planned, it's more that he had to plan around it because it was an inevitability. It's not like a Total Recall situation where his memory was gone on purpose. Lying to BJ was just to get access to the logs about project Aegis and Morimura I think. At that point in the story, Ei wasn't specifically working for Ida, but had pretty much given up on the Sentinel project and was being hunted for supposedly being 426, so he didn't really have a goal since the scene where he lies to BJ was just after the Sentinels all get infected and they lose the fight.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

DO NOT READ THIS, SPOILER FOR WHOLE GAME:

There's kind of a lot of things I think about this statement, but I don't really want to write a full page about all of them when the game is still so fresh, but I'll say for now that I do understand where you're coming from. There are still real-life consequences for failing in the kaiju fight, but I think the fact that the entire world is fake sort of diminishes some of the lesser discoveries you make earlier. Namely, the idea that you're not actually time traveling, you're just teleporting between five different thematic domes is way less of a "Haha oh gently caress" moment when you know that the whole thing is fake, anyways. But I think the game has a really interesting approach to the simulation in that they all want to go back in and bring the AI from the simulation into the real world, because that world WAS real to them. The idea of something being "real" or not is toyed with a lot in this game, especially with Ida, and so for someone to say that the fact that the video game they played wasn't "real" made them disappointed is exactly the sort of weird questions I think this game touches on

I liked when Pathologic did it more. :v:

can't say I care for the writing in particular in general but that's been the case for vanillaware's other stuff with me too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The memory loss wasn't something he planned, it's more that he had to plan around it because it was an inevitability. It's not like a Total Recall situation where his memory was gone on purpose. Lying to BJ was just to get access to the logs about project Aegis and Morimura I think. At that point in the story, Ei wasn't specifically working for Ida, but had pretty much given up on the Sentinel project and was being hunted for supposedly being 426, so he didn't really have a goal since the scene where he lies to BJ was just after the Sentinels all get infected and they lose the fight.

I know that him getting amnesia wasn't planned, I only mentioned it because I understand his motivations and actions after he loses his memories, whereas the parts where you don't play as him I don't really understand what he's doing or why he is where he is. For example, in Hijiyama's prologue, why was he in sector 5/1945? Similarly in Iori's prologue, why was he at her school? If you're right and he was just running away with no specific goal in mind it makes it all feel very arbitrary in a way that the rest of the writing isn't.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Droyer posted:

I know that him getting amnesia wasn't planned, I only mentioned it because I understand his motivations and actions after he loses his memories, whereas the parts where you don't play as him I don't really understand what he's doing or why he is where he is. For example, in Hijiyama's prologue, why was he in sector 5/1945? Similarly in Iori's prologue, why was he at her school? If you're right and he was just running away with no specific goal in mind it makes it all feel very arbitrary in a way that the rest of the writing isn't.

In 1985 he was chasing down Okino, who is one of the only other people who is from 2065 and knows how to work things like the UFO mainframe and BJ, which is where he eventually finds the 2188 logs from. He was at the school because that's where Morimura works

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've finally gotten far enough into the game to get to Gouto's route and the endgame vibes are getting pretty strong. In a funny way since his whole route seems to basically be an extended interrogation it's giving me the same feelings of the end of a Phoenix Wright game, though it could really use the sounds of fists slamming desks or shouts of "Take That" at every piece of evidence presented.

It's strange though. The game almost seems to be slowing down towards the end. A lot of route's finish fairly quietly with no big reveal or with the actual conclusion in someone else's finale and although I guess it's cool how a bunch of routes start to come together at the end it's still a weird feeling. Though I am liking the endgame reveals that despite so many routes playing up the mysteries of future-past Juro and Iori future-past Tomi is more central to saving the day.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I really want to get this game but a 63 Euro pricetag is a bit of a whopper for what seems to be more of a VN than a strategy RPG, as I mistakenly thought before.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone have thoughts on the English VA? Been playing in Japanese thus far but I wouldn't mind being able to multitask since this game is mostly story.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the English VA? Been playing in Japanese thus far but I wouldn't mind being able to multitask since this game is mostly story.

The dub is phenomenal IMO. Really great performances all around. Dunno how long it would take to adjust for someone who's mainly used to Japanese voices and is switching from that track, though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

pretty impressive since i think they all had to record in their homes

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.

PantsBandit posted:

I played through the whole game with the English VA in support of their work (it's no secret that the recording process was facing a lot of challenges due to having to shift to remote partway and the VO director seems really passionate about this game every time he talks about it) and I enjoyed it a lot all around. I like Kaiji Tang as Hijiyama ("A fine hit!") and I like Erica Mendez as Natsuno a lot. Laura Post is pretty good at selling the sukeban in Yuki's voice lines, and Cassandra Lee Morris captures Tomi's cheekiness well, IMO. I think Xanthe Hyunh is also adorable as Miwako, but I know not everyone's a fan of her voice pitch. I don't think there's any harm in giving it a go and seeing if it works better for you if you wanna multitask.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Thanks all. I'm just finishing up the prologues so I think I'll switch over to English before I get too used to these voices.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Something about the way Shu says Yuki-chan in the English dub makes me smile every time I hear it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
We switched from english to japanese as soon as they started with honorifics and yakisoba pan, it just sounds so lovely in English to me. :smith:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Keeping it as Yakisoba Pan is pretty weird but the performances are so strong I wasn't bothered by the honorifics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The honorifics made me go with japanese for a first play, but I'll use the dub when I replay it someday.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also (postgame) in case anyone missed it, by saying they added the ending scene to the archive, it means a new one that's only available there postcredits. It's very small but neat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wait, so the strategy combat is completely separate from the story content? What a strange way to do it. I have no idea how much I should be engaging with that stuff versus doing the story chapters or how much story is in the combat scenarios.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some routes are eventually locked by destruction maps and some maps are locked by completing specific story events. So you could always just focus on one until you need to go and play the other to open locks.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Some routes are eventually locked by destruction maps and some maps are locked by completing specific story events. So you could always just focus on one until you need to go and play the other to open locks.

Cool, this is what I was wondering. As long as they're linked in some way chronologically (as in, progress through the game) that makes it a lot easier to approach.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just beat the video game, it was pretty rad. The game kinda had my full attention over the last week, even when I had stopped playing I was still spending some time thinking about everything and trying to feel out some of the mysteries. I even managed to get some right which is a great feeling in a twist-heavy story like this. The game kinda slows down towards its final stretch but I think it still manages to end pretty strongly. The final destruction map is super good and although I wasn't feeling the ending at first, the post-credits scenes really bring it together. The ending starts off pretty flat. The 2188 stuff isn't super compelling and Juro's big ending monologue about how they need to live or whatever was real generic but the post-credits stuff left me with a big smile on my face and was way more emotionally satisfying. I guess it's mostly about the couples and I was only into like half of them but making so much of the ending about getting all my AI buds proper bodies and taking them out of the sim was a strong way to close out and relevant to the ideas explored in the game. Real hosed up Miwako didn't end up with Gouto though.

Overall the game was very good. The first 20 or so hours of the game are excellent with new reveals every time you jump into any story and although it kinda loses steam towards the end it still manages to pull off a pretty satisfying conclusion. Outside of like maybe one or two I enjoyed every routes and all the characters were great, probably my favourites being Hijiyama and Kisaragi. And even though it was totally overshadowed by the VN, Destruction mode was still cool and fun. Some reveals fall flat and it can get pretty messy at points but Aegis Rim was a good time.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Putting yakisoba in hotdog buns is actually a thing ? :psyduck:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m playing with subs because it’s got one of those cringeworthy dubs that always reminds me of awkward weeb friends who’d use random Japanese words in sentences.

Game is real good so far though, I like how it’s balancing the battles and the story with the lockouts, and so far none of the story segments have fallen into the trap of being so overlong that they wear out their welcome and make me wish I was onto another protagonist already.

It’s neat how the story seems to still be able to do its job even though a lot of things can be seen in a completely random order.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People getting weird about honorifics also confuse me

They aren’t really necessary but aren’t a big deal

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't mind the honorifics being there, but I do mind the way native english-speakers usually pronounce them. Kun has a U, not 15 Os

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I've just gotten past the intro and unlocked a few of the characters branching paths. Do the unmarked branches eventually fill in with their requirements, or are the more esoteric requirements the only ones that get shown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

I don't mind the honorifics being there, but I do mind the way native english-speakers usually pronounce them. Kun has a U, not 15 Os

Japanese directors seem to like to direct English VAs to say it that way too. It's a weird choice.