Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Hawke posted:

I'm picking this up ASAP, I've never played a Vanillaware game so I'm going in completely blind with no expectations at all. Everything I've heard so far sounds incredible.

Since you can replay anything past the tutorial nothing's missable then? I can see myself 100%ing this and I don't want to miss out on anything.

Yeah, it's relatively easy to 100% if you're determined enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah there's no missable items or equipment since all of the adventure mode progress is from your characters learning keywords. I've had one instance so far of a scene I think autofilling out for me without seeing it because I had advanced the plot without realizing there was a "oh darn we didn't find anything" branch. Still counted towards my completion percentage and there's a scene reviewer for watching things again.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Hawke posted:

I'm picking this up ASAP, I've never played a Vanillaware game so I'm going in completely blind with no expectations at all. Everything I've heard so far sounds incredible.

Since you can replay anything past the tutorial nothing's missable then? I can see myself 100%ing this and I don't want to miss out on anything.

If you enjoy it, keep in mind that Vanillaware’s other games are nothing like this one. Odin Sphere was their first attempt at making a story involving multiple playable characters, but it repeated a lot of content. It has its moments, though.

Dragons Crown is a side scrolling beat em up with RPG elements. It doesn’t have much of a story, but it doesn’t really need it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am on my knees in the pouring rain begging for muramasa's vita port to get a proper console release

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Oxxidation posted:

i am on my knees in the pouring rain begging for muramasa's vita port to get a proper console release

I still can't believe Muramasa only came out on the Wii and the Vita. Maybe now that 13 Sentinels is out they'll have the resources to port it to the Switch or PS4/5, or even better, a PC release. Have any Vanillaware games ever gotten a PC release? Now that even Persona has come to the PC I guess anything is possible.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Hawke posted:

You could technically miss tiny bits of incidental dialogue, as there are places in the game you can interact with characters in ways that don't advance the story while there are other, story-advancing interactions available, which, if done, will bypass the non-story bits. But those are mostly things like characters going, "Well? What now?" or stuff like that which don't actually mean anything. I played through a single time, got 100% completion and the Platinum trophy, and didn't feel like I was scouring for content or repeating sections at any point. It's a linear experience, even if there are a lot of parallel paths from beginning to end. You can redo story sections or even individual scenes if you like, but you will never have to do so to find something you missed - although you may choose to do so to see things that happen early in the playthrough that mean a lot more with the context of later revelations. The only game content I repeated is I think two or three of the Destruction mode battles because the first time through I didn't have the right characters available to complete the bonus objectives.

It's a good game.

Hawke
May 1, 2008
Having had a chance to play through some of it, oh my god I wasn't ready for this trip and I'm not even out of the tutorial yet!? The strategy gameplay is fun if a little easy so far but I know you can up the difficulty soon. Wasn't expecting it to be in real time with a tactical pause thing to give orders though. The story though, it's too early to gush about it but there've already been so many crazy reveals that I'm gonna need to get my own conspiracy board to fill out as I play at this rate.

Picked up a mystery point (chip?) in a battle I can use to unlock files. Some of the names were just things I interacted with while playing that I thought I grabbed. Can I go and pick these up in the event viewer without spending the point?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
No you do need to spend the points.

Don't worry too much though. The points are easy to get and any extras after you unlock everything just get converted to meta chips.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I am within striking distance of the ending but I can’t stop playing loving Hades. I wish there was a me from a 1980’s historical theme park so I could play two games at once

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Trying not to read much of this thread so I don't get spoiled... here's a mechanic I don't understand. I did Natsuno's 2nd chapter and there's a branching path from the track room. I was chased by the men in black, which advanced the story but left the other 3 paths as ????

I assume I could have gone down other paths by doing things differently? But then they would have dead ended? Really didn't seem like there were 3 other ways to play that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Outside of a few things the game is almost 100% linear as to when you can do stuff within a timeline so you'll either go back to those eventually or they're completely unimportant 'nothing eventful happened' things

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ultrachrist posted:

Trying not to read much of this thread so I don't get spoiled... here's a mechanic I don't understand. I did Natsuno's 2nd chapter and there's a branching path from the track room. I was chased by the men in black, which advanced the story but left the other 3 paths as ????

I assume I could have gone down other paths by doing things differently? But then they would have dead ended? Really didn't seem like there were 3 other ways to play that.

A lot of paths are unlocked by whether or not you have certain keywords. You also loop back a lot (the game considers it different days) to get other branches.

If you don't loop back by next segment with that character, then those were failure branches that don't matter to the story.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Failure branches that you don’t hit will auto fill once you reach 100% anyway.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Got it, thanks!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

more of that famitsu spoiler q&a translated here

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Looks like one more fight to go.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Great ending. Time to read some spoilers.

e: There are not enough things to read. Where are all my Okino takes?

wuggles fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 18, 2020

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Any advice for 3-10? I'd been easily stomping everything flat and collecting S-ranks up until this level. And now I've hit a loving brick wall. I was finally able to win through a half hour battle of attrition, most of which I spent defending to charge my EP. Ended up with a C-rank.

There must be something I'm missing here. No other enemies have been able to just completely push my poo poo in like this. :staredog:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

...! posted:

Any advice for 3-10? I'd been easily stomping everything flat and collecting S-ranks up until this level. And now I've hit a loving brick wall. I was finally able to win through a half hour battle of attrition, most of which I spent defending to charge my EP. Ended up with a C-rank.

There must be something I'm missing here. No other enemies have been able to just completely push my poo poo in like this. :staredog:

yeah 3-10 is a massive difficulty spike

it has this weird umbrella shield that guards it completely against missiles and rockets so you need to get up close and personal to bring it down, and it has to happen fast because as you've probably noticed it murders anything in the same zip code as itself

i whittled down all its buddies and then bum-rushed it with two 2nd-gens and a 1st-gen, and then when they were within melee range i used the attack-power buff on all three of them. the plasma cutters and demolition blade killed it in one turn

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Yeah, I noticed that bullshit shield when I got frustrated and tried to drop a Super Large Missile on it. And any time I try to melee it, it nearly one-shots the Sentinel like you said. I'll try overwhelming it like that later tonight.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Finished it over the weekend. Non-spoiler thoughts:
I really appreciated the quality of life features a lot, streamlining the inventory and dialog choices into the thought cloud eliminates the tedious try every item on every thing/character problem when you get stuck. The mystery files and event log also were really useful to keep track of the story and it was fun to see a bunch of mystery files show up as updated when a big revelation happened. UI conveniences like the green and red boxes being bright or dim depending on how many new or just unread thought cloud items were a nice touch too.
I also enjoyed the combat part of the game a lot more than I thought I would. Originally I expected I would just put it on casual and blast through as quickly as possible but the scenarios were pretty fun and I didn't mind that they weren't all that difficult once I understood the mechanics.

Whole game spoilers:
I thought the progression of the revelations about the true nature of the world were really well done, you got enough time to get used to the current truth before the next big reveal happens to make it more shocking. They cheat a bit in the beginning by doing the whole clock going forward/backward effect to imply it's time travel but I guess you could argue it's just showing what the characters thought was going on.
I do wish more time was spent on some of the 2188 versions of the characters though, in particular Ryoko, since she is the direct cause for the kaiju attacks and the endless looping. She says it's because Ida used her, and based on her relationship with him in the "present" it's not hard to imagine how he treated her, but there should have been more detail. Kamitani said in that interview that she was the last human alive on the habitat, which helps explain her mindset, but that's something that should be in the game rather than an interview.
That may be due to cutting back parts of the game, there's a few places where it felt like something was missing, like all the talk of the 15 clones but Tamao (literally) disappears early on in the story, or how most of Ogata's story is about finding who's broadcasting the signal to the Deimos but after he finds out and escapes everyone forgets about it.
Overall those are just minor complaints though and I really enjoyed the whole thing.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

yeah 3-10 is a massive difficulty spike

it has this weird umbrella shield that guards it completely against missiles and rockets so you need to get up close and personal to bring it down, and it has to happen fast because as you've probably noticed it murders anything in the same zip code as itself

i whittled down all its buddies and then bum-rushed it with two 2nd-gens and a 1st-gen, and then when they were within melee range i used the attack-power buff on all three of them. the plasma cutters and demolition blade killed it in one turn

I ended up doing this pretty much exactly and just bum rushed the boss. Then the final level was so easy that I don't understand why they made 3-10 so hard. It's a gigantic outlier when it comes to mission difficulty.

I beat the game and there are still some things I don't fully understand. I'll need to collect my thoughts before going completely into it but here are a couple of things off the top of my head:

Where did the consensus that Tamao is the fifteenth pod person come from? It seemed to me that neither of the two "Tamaos" in the ending were the actual person. I got the impression that the first Tamao was an AI that the simulation was running directly, and the second one was an android running the Tamao AI.

Also, why did the kaiju exist in the first place? I'm a little fuzzy on that. From what I gathered, Okino mk. 1 was super lazy when coding the simulation and did some copy/pasting from a kaiju video game without fully thinking the consequences through?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

...! posted:

I ended up doing this pretty much exactly and just bum rushed the boss. Then the final level was so easy that I don't understand why they made 3-10 so hard. It's a gigantic outlier when it comes to mission difficulty.

I beat the game and there are still some things I don't fully understand. I'll need to collect my thoughts before going completely into it but here are a couple of things off the top of my head:

Where did the consensus that Tamao is the fifteenth pod person come from? It seemed to me that neither of the two "Tamaos" in the ending were the actual person. I got the impression that the first Tamao was an AI that the simulation was running directly, and the second one was an android running the Tamao AI.

Also, why did the kaiju exist in the first place? I'm a little fuzzy on that. From what I gathered, Okino mk. 1 was super lazy when coding the simulation and did some copy/pasting from a kaiju video game without fully thinking the consequences through?

tamao was one of the original fifteen, but according to the mystery notes, sending the AI tamao through one of the loops caused a system error in Universal Control where it detected a "redundant" iteration of tamao and deleted her from that loop entirely. that's why juro's grandma tamao is perpetually "visiting relatives" while the younger versions of her are just androids with hers and 426's personalities

as for the deimos' presence, that's one plot point that i think definitely needed more focus. they only existed in the system at all because, as you said, okino used a video game where deimos were the baddies to shortcut the city-maintenance aspects of the simulation. after the massacre of the research team, shinonome's 2188 version, who was already misanthrophic to begin with, spitefully reprogrammed the sim to incorporate the deimos enemies as well (otherwise known as the Deimos Code), thereby trapping its inhabitants in an unending cycle of war and death that would always reset before they could improve themselves enough to break out of it

according to supplementary materials, shinonome ended up the last person alive on the entire satellite. she really needed a little more focus than just a single scene on a route that was overstuffed with big plot revelations already

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 22, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

tamao was one of the original fifteen, but according to the mystery notes, sending the AI tamao through one of the loops caused a system error in Universal Control where it detected a "redundant" iteration of tamao and deleted her from that loop entirely. that's why juro's grandma tamao is perpetually "visiting relatives" while the younger versions of her are just androids with hers and 426's personalities.

I thought the WW2 version of her was real since Miura and Hajiyama seemed to know her all their lives. Wouldn’t deleting her from the loop be it not growing a new clone, which we know it did because she was there to be released from her pod?

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

tamao was one of the original fifteen, but according to the mystery notes, sending the AI tamao through one of the loops caused a system error in Universal Control where it detected a "redundant" iteration of tamao and deleted her from that loop entirely. that's why juro's grandma tamao is perpetually "visiting relatives" while the younger versions of her are just androids with hers and 426's personalities

the real Tamao is actually the one from 1945; however she "died" from the kaiju attack that occurred there and disappeared as a result from the simulation. her body in the pod was still alive and well, just unconscious. 1945 Tamao also had a couple scenes where she talked with Gouto i believe about having dreams like Iori and Juro, implying she was also being fed her previous cycle's memories.

android Tamao appearing in 1985 did cause UC to delete Juro's grandma Tamao (who is just a UC-created AI) as a way to resolve the issue of duplicate Tamaos in that time period though, yes

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Yeah, 1940s Tamao was real, she just was always taking care of Chihiro and then got KO’d

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They do mention that the system regularly retrieves the kaiju designs from the command ship, where they'd be stored so that they could be produced IRL once the probe found a workable planet. 2188 Okino just cut the giant monsters out of the game and pretty reasonably assumed that no one would be nuts enough to insert the designs of the terraforming equipment in their place.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This game is buck wild. More :aaa: per minute than just about anything I've watched, read, or played lately and I'm barely past the prologue

Plus, using the thought cloud to walk around all 🤔 is way funnier than it has any right to be and I can't stop doing it

e: love the nested flashbacks too

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 31, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just binged this game over half a week and I'm floored by how good this is.

Spoilers for the final post-game Event Archive video (315): I'm to assume it's showing that the process happening on this planet is also basically happening on other colonized worlds with other clones of the 15 colonists thanks to the self-replicating and constantly-expanding scope of Project Ark?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that is the obvious implication

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sure do hope other versions of Okino invent Sentinels out there in the great wide galaxy.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

This game is great, I've been hooked since finishing the prologue and realizing I'd gone through more plot in 1-2 hours than most VNs manage in 3 times that. I like the way the mystery files let you confirm details that the game only implies (such as where/when people are actually from) and therefore saves the story itself from getting bogged down with characters explaining every last detail.

It feels like every segment answers at least one question but throws up 1-2 more and even though I've supposedly completed 70% of the story I have no idea how they're going to catch all these balls they're juggling. Every time I've felt like I've got a sense of the overall picture they throw some new curveball. My partner keeps catching me going "what the gently caress" at the TV.

Speculation so I can come back and laugh at myself later: the gates don't actually move anyone through time; the Sectors are literal spatial sectors each set up to represent a different time period. It's the only way I can make sense of the whole "meanwhile in the future" thing going on with every era being somehow invaded simultaneously. Though presumably there's also actual time travel involved since Ida and Morimura refer directly to loops and resetting everything and whoops I've gone cross-eyed

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Gato posted:

Speculation so I can come back and laugh at myself later: the gates don't actually move anyone through time; the Sectors are literal spatial sectors each set up to represent a different time period. It's the only way I can make sense of the whole "meanwhile in the future" thing going on with every era being somehow invaded simultaneously. Though presumably there's also actual time travel involved since Ida and Morimura refer directly to loops and resetting everything and whoops I've gone cross-eyed

very close, but at the same time quite a bit away from the truth

e: also the second game I ever got platinum after Bloodborne. This game is awesome.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's kind of amazing the twists this story takes while still being coherent by the end.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This game's story is wild and solid science fiction on a fundamental level, not just as genre dressing.

I feel genuinely fortunate that this game exists.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Just finished it this morning after 46 hours. Apparently I spent a lot of time checking mystery files and stuff. An absolute loving gem of a game. I've been a fan of Vanillaware's action games but I'd love to see another story focused game from them like this.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This game was excellent. It was a reluctant purchase since I find most story focused games a weaker experience than just reading a book, but I bought it anyway because I like Vanillaware games. The way they craft the story into these 10 minute chunks that rarely waste any words and constantly reveal new info was amazing. It only works because it trusts the player/viewer to connect the dots themselves.

Also amazing that they satisfyingly juggled like 30 different sci fi tropes. Though I wasn't a huge fan of it all being a video game -- felt like it cheapened some reveals like the kaiju being modified terraforming machines. I caught on that it wasn't really time travel early but I figured it was a terraformed planet with different sectors on it. I guess there'd be some huge holes to fill if it wasn't a sim though

I feel I actually understand basically all the plot beats. The only thing I'm not super clear on is the final details of the sequence of Morimora/Izumi jumping loops, especially when the heck they picked up Ida but I still grasp the main bits of it.

And while very little of it feels wasted, I wonder what the heck the point of Ogata's entire story is? It's intriguing at first but ultimately pointless that Minami has the D-key now since Okino just decides the whole exercise doesn't matter.

With regards to 3-10, here's how I S-ranked it as a true Son of Japan:
I used Sekigahara/Hijiyama/Kurabe/Fuyusaka/Minami/Gouto for basically the whole game after I realized there's no real penalty to recovering.

1. Gen 2 sentinels are just their as sentry/guardian bots (sentry is OP btw).
2. Move Minami and Gouto a little closer to the Kaiju so that missile rain will hit most of them.
3. Activate missile rain.
4. Leap over to the big boss with both G1 sentinels.
5. Activate interceptors with Gouto. Ideally they attack the boss.
6. Limiter OFF on both G1 sentinels. Then go to town demolisher blading the boss, ideally with back attacks.

This ends the match in a few seconds, though both G1 sentinels will be close to death. I even forgot about the attack buff move. The S rank requirement is lenient here since I had like 20% sentinel damage but close to 0 on the others.

ALSO! I found a place in my neighborhood that serves yakisoba pan, which I have never had. Next time I order food, I will buy one and confirm whether or not it is truly the food of the gods.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 4, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

Also amazing that they satisfyingly juggled like 30 different sci fi tropes. Though I wasn't a huge fan of it all being a video game -- felt like it cheapened some reveals like the kaiju being modified terraforming machines. I caught on that it wasn't really time travel early but I figured it was a terraformed planet with different sectors on it. I guess there'd be some huge holes to fill if it wasn't a sim though

I feel I actually understand basically all the plot beats. The only thing I'm not super clear on is [spoiler]the final details of the sequence of Morimora/Izumi jumping loops, especially when the heck they picked up Ida
but I still grasp the main bits of it.

I don't mind the whole simulation thing. It's pretty clear IMO that the human AIs aren't philosophical zombies, so them dying when the loop resets is still a loss of life.
For the loop things: Okino of 2 loops ago sends Juro and Morimura of 2 loops ago to one loop ago. They first try to kill all the Shikishima people to stop the kaiju but that doesn't work. Juro learns that it's the compatible ones that are calling the kaiju so he decides the best course of action is to murder them. Gets stopped by Morimura and placed in jail. Morimura develops the type 98 and enlists Tetsuya Ida as a pilot. Morimura sacrifices her life to send Ida to the current loop where he meets up with Morimura of the previous loop who was also sent there and they move their respective younger selves to 1985 and start preparing for the kaiju invasion again.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

And while very little of it feels wasted, I wonder what the heck the point of Ogata's entire story is? It's intriguing at first but ultimately pointless that Minami has the D-key now since Okino just decides the whole exercise doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure it's just a dangling plot thread that was left in because they ran out of time. From interviews it sounds like they cut a lot in a kinda messy way at the end of development- impressively it mostly doesn't show too badly except there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still thinking about that song and that level.

It was so nostalgically Macross it nearly moved me to tears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oq9utTsAMg