Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Checking the event archive is very interesting because it will tell you who is featured during certain scenes, sometimes before the point where you have enough clues to figure it out yourself. One person's identity in particular I've figured out from the logs which has made me veeeeeery intrigued.

also IMO spread the protagonists out as thin as possible and don't go too deep in a person's story too early. The deeper you go the more will be just outright told you and it's kind of more satisfying to be drip-fed the clues

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I did the first non-prologue combat mission on insane and it was fun. The big difference is actually having to worry about your unit's health, the time to kill is pretty similar in that you still mow down the low-level enemies immediately. It's certainly not The Best Game but it's totally fine and better than I was expecting from what people were saying

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Also you get like two mystery points per battle I think so go nuts. I was kind of worried about spending them until I realized how quick you can rack up a few

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This game's buckwild. I'm at 33% story and I'm hitting pretty consistent parts where I pause the game and say "haha what the gently caress"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

So my 9 year old is huge Odin Sphere fan. How does this game stack up on the kid friendly spectrum? Would he be able to play it? Does it lewd in a way an elementary student shouldn't be exposed to?

So I don't think there's any doubt that they'll be able to play and finish the game, but I wonder how much they would enjoy it. The game is basically just a book, with combat being accessed from a totally different menu than the rest of the game, so it's nothing like Odin Sphere. The game heavily features time travel and so keeping track of who is where and when across thirteen different people might get really confusing since you never get told like, hey, today is Monday the 15th for this character, you only ever know when someone is based on events that happen and to cross-reference from there. There's also a lot of people to keep track of to the point where even I have to look at a character list every once in a while to make sure I know who they're talking about, since they do the Japanese thing where they interchange first name and last name very frequently. All the characters call one character in particular by his first name, so when the game uses his last name only I have to double-check.

The game will eventually tell you all the twist and turns directly to you, but I think their enjoyment of the game will be based on how much they're able to figure out for themselves, which I have absolutely no idea how they'll do. The non-linear storytelling seem kind of complicated for a fourth-grader.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I kind of like destruction mode? Once I really understood what characters were good at what and how best to play, I kind of actually like the weird session-based progression method. I'm about to start the third combat stage and I haven't used the party healing once. Here's some advice I have if you want to try to play on Insane:

Once you beat 2-1, you get access to the next upgrade screen. Upgrade the bottom stat to level 3 ASAP, it controls how many fights you can do before being exhausted and you only need level 3 to make it so you can do three fights instead of two

Sentry guns are absolutely broken, level them up and unlock them on anyone who has access ASAP. Interceptors are similarly very useful but not as good. Sentries do tons of damage in a line and can easily wipe out the big waves of small aerial ships, but they're also super good at shooting down enemy missiles, which is really helpful because that will help keep your melee units safe from the huge factory enemies

For the melee units, Destruction Blade is obviously good for single-target, but they can feel like a waste otherwise. Tackle is actually amazing because they'll just run into and destroy basically any non-armored unit. The boss stage of World 2 is super fun, I had my melee guys running forward and punching every enemy to death while my ranged units kept setting turrets down to shoot down enemy missiles.

Yuki is amazing and you should get her to level 10 ASAP because Leg Spike combined with her passive skill that increases the damage on it the farther she moves means you can send her off on her own to basically solo a factory unit

Like sentries, the Guardian deploy is amazing also. You can also cast shields on them, which is duration-based invincibility. Enemies will ALWAYS go for them over you

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

marshmallow creep posted:

I mean in that game the questionable character designs are Odette and Velvet, for given values of questionable, and Odette is a boss monster so she doesn't come up that much. It's not Dragon's Crown level. Most of it is fighting cute monsters with fancy attacks.

I have completed the game and in the final cutscene it shows two of the characters semi-nude as though they were adam and eve

also this game is incredible and I love the indulgent ending

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 26, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I think this thread might be kind of desolate for a while because the game is hot spoilers right off the bat, so you basically can't talk about anything

I have a single question/problem that I don't understand and it happens in Ogata's story but I hesitate to even ask because it's so entrenched in a million other story things

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay I actually thought of one more thing I'm unsure about. Honestly not even a major spoiler?

The game mentions "the fifteen" but I cant figure out who the last one is supposed to be. There's the 13 characters and then Okino. Is the 15th Aiba?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

No Mods No Masters posted:

1945's Tamao Kurabe was the 15th one in a pod- she was just out of commission for the vast majority of the story. Incidentally if your question about Ogata's story is what was going on with the D-Key in general, I share in having no idea

Okay so I was basically right. Also, yes, you guessed it. It's never mentioned again in Natsuno's story either, which seems weird? Ogata's story just kind of ends abruptly, too, like there was supposed to be more there. Ogata never mentions the key to Hijiyama in his story, either, despite that being the whole point of what he was trying to do in 1985 I thought. Also my final complaint is that I think its kinda weird you never see Professor Douji on-screen.

fake edit: I lied, my real biggest complaint with this game is that there's no Miwako DLC where she gets in a robot

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ymgve posted:

Full game spoilers: So did I misunderstand, or was basically everything except the 2188 parts and the epilogue inside a giant VR training program? Lessens the impact of the whole plot when nothing was real at all.

DO NOT READ THIS, SPOILER FOR WHOLE GAME:

There's kind of a lot of things I think about this statement, but I don't really want to write a full page about all of them when the game is still so fresh, but I'll say for now that I do understand where you're coming from. There are still real-life consequences for failing in the kaiju fight, but I think the fact that the entire world is fake sort of diminishes some of the lesser discoveries you make earlier. Namely, the idea that you're not actually time traveling, you're just teleporting between five different thematic domes is way less of a "Haha oh gently caress" moment when you know that the whole thing is fake, anyways. But I think the game has a really interesting approach to the simulation in that they all want to go back in and bring the AI from the simulation into the real world, because that world WAS real to them. The idea of something being "real" or not is toyed with a lot in this game, especially with Ida, and so for someone to say that the fact that the video game they played wasn't "real" made them disappointed is exactly the sort of weird questions I think this game touches on

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah Ogata's story going absolutely nowhere and Natsuno having "the key" never being mentioned again was really strange. Biggest complaint of the game by far. Shinonome's story ending with her still being in denial about Ida is definitely not emotionally satisfying, but is I think an interesting writing choice. Like, for the entirety of her route she's on the precipice of brain damage, can't remember anything, and was so distraught by Ida not being in love with her in 2188 that she decided to intentionally sabotage the project that would continue the species. Like, she was just so far gone that I actually think a happy and uplifting ending for her would feel even more out of place. At least, for her character story anyways, she gets a happy ending in the end.

For Ida, I think it's a lot easier to forgive him considering how so much of the poo poo that he did was influenced by how much of a nightmare the world he lived in was. He had to live through how many destroyed timelines and knew that looping was a thing and so that basically nothing he did outside of getting downloaded to Sector 0 would ever matter. Like, as far as he knew, the world would continue to loop an infinite number of times and nothing he could do could stop it so why not try to find some weird way to find happiness within such a meaningless existence? Like, a LOT of people in this game had kind of given up by the point 1985 came under threat, and were like yeah gently caress it let's just loop, this one's hosed (until they found out they couldn't, that is). Bringing him back in a world that wasn't about to be destroyed and would never be under threat from Kaiju and where time travel was eliminated probably did a lot to chill him out and was why they trusted him with operating the simulation.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Miwako gang represent

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The combat transforms into something totally different once you bust out of the tutorial and becomes like, a resource-management endurance run, but yeah the option of playing on Casual and just totally ignoring it also exists

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Droyer posted:

Finished the game earlier today and I've got a plot question. What exactly was Sekigahara trying to accomplish between lying to BJ and losing his memories? It felt like he popped up all over in every sector and I have no idea why.

The memory loss wasn't something he planned, it's more that he had to plan around it because it was an inevitability. It's not like a Total Recall situation where his memory was gone on purpose. Lying to BJ was just to get access to the logs about project Aegis and Morimura I think. At that point in the story, Ei wasn't specifically working for Ida, but had pretty much given up on the Sentinel project and was being hunted for supposedly being 426, so he didn't really have a goal since the scene where he lies to BJ was just after the Sentinels all get infected and they lose the fight.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Droyer posted:

I know that him getting amnesia wasn't planned, I only mentioned it because I understand his motivations and actions after he loses his memories, whereas the parts where you don't play as him I don't really understand what he's doing or why he is where he is. For example, in Hijiyama's prologue, why was he in sector 5/1945? Similarly in Iori's prologue, why was he at her school? If you're right and he was just running away with no specific goal in mind it makes it all feel very arbitrary in a way that the rest of the writing isn't.

In 1985 he was chasing down Okino, who is one of the only other people who is from 2065 and knows how to work things like the UFO mainframe and BJ, which is where he eventually finds the 2188 logs from. He was at the school because that's where Morimura works

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

What the actual gently caress that looks dope

Also I played the whole game and liked the English cast a lot. I can totally block out honorifics and those have never really bothered me.

About the pacing: I do kind of agree that the game actually slows down at the end, but I think it felt kind of cool thematically. Getting to the point where the satellite goes down and your team realizes that they're going to lose, you just keep marathoning these maps and your friends are starting to lose faith, and only then are you able to go over to Goutou who asks that Chihiro give them a fair chance, and that feels really great

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Fluffy reveal is one of the best scenes in the entire game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The metachips one

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

I got to the Shiba (Juro 70ish percent) reveal last night and yelled because you’re right it’s so obvious but I didn’t notice

KEEP GOING

also the twist is pretty much given away if you go through Shu's route, you replay a scene from Juro's route 1:1 except Shiba isn't there

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 7, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This game rules and I'm expecting to see you all in the trenches of the GOTY thread

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

Tomi: gently caress, they have you do Juro interrupting in his prologue from the other side gently caress that rules

The first moment of the game where you're just standing around Tomi's desk and she calls you out for eavesdropping on her conversation was when I knew the game was going to be good

I posted in the GOTY thread that this game was a miracle and thinking about it, it's really true. Literally any time anyone mentions a specific scene I'm just like "agh HELL yeah that part was great." Every single scene.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 13, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

emdash posted:

I got the platinum in this, my first ever visual novel game and the only platinum I've ever bothered with

I don't think i'll be seeking out more VNs because it's too much tilted toward reading rather than game, but it was still a lot of fun. The best part was getting really overpowered at the end and cleaning up S-ranks by making GBS threads out 32 interceptors and as many sentries as possible

Honestly the presentation of the game is great - it takes all of the mundane reading parts of visual novels (or hell, even regular books) that I don't like and aren't interested in and replaces everything with the best part of VN's which is just straight dialogue. I think I would prefer this formula over the traditional VN even if you didn't manually walk around and control the characters directly. This game would go from an incredibly tight 25 hour game that is nonstop twists to a drawn-out fifty hours real fast if they went with the usual VN formatting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I beat the game on the hardest difficulty, most maps on the first try, sometimes needing a replay if a really specific enemy type shows up that I just didn't have a unit to deal with. 90% of the game was no problem except the penultimate map which took me two hours because the strategy I was doing a big turtle strategy and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working, so I'd get fifteen mins into the fight and then lose. Once I figured out what was happening I beat it after one last failed experiment run.

Playing this way is kind of even more fun because you get more rewards and thus more chips to buy screen-clearing framerate-crashing missiles