Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
... for me to poop on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I find this film to be enjoyable. Dunno why. I hated it the first time I tried to watch it.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I like the movie. I've owned the graphic novel set for years but still haven't sat down and read through it. :effort: I don't have the time to read poo poo anymore.

I'm very happy the video game is being re-released on modern consoles and Steam. I own it on PS3 but I don't have my PS3 hooked up anymore, too much hassle and too little space. Anyway, it'll be cool to see more people actually being able to play it again. Until Ubisoft de-lists it again because they don't wanna pay more royalty fees.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm the byronic hero of this life

Like, I'm practically lord byron up in this bitch

With not a clubbed foot but a clubbed brain

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I haven't seen the film but I do like metric and I am glad to have my tastes validated by this thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Colonel Cancer posted:

... for me to poop on!
killer snipe imo

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Is it just me or was the first half of this movie really good and the second half awful

naem
May 29, 2011

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Is it just me or was the first half of this movie really good and the second half awful

the ending was a bit forced, they crammed a lot of stuff in there. the whole “fighting seven ex’s” scenes could have been a quick montage

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that Scott is a goddamn pedo dating a highschooler

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
:zelda treasure finding tune:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DickParasite posted:

Not enough anime in Dante's Inferno IMO.

That's why Devil May Cry was made.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FogHelmut posted:

iirc that movie came out the same weekend as The Expendables and a bunch of goons were crying that their nerd movie got blown out by cool testosterone dudes

i went to see expendables and never watched scott pilgrim but i bought and played the poo poo out of the game. they were fools to make a film at all

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Scott Pilgrim the comic does a pretty good job at portraying and critiquing early 20s nerd malaise/directionlessness imo, I don't think the movie captures that same feeling as well though.

I still like it though. Good soundtrack.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Scott Pilgrim makes me super nostalgic since the entire movie is filmed and takes place within like a 2 block radius of where I lived in my early 20s (I was directly across the street from Lee's palace), probably supposed to be about the same time i was there (i.e. lee's palace is open, sonic boom is still on bloor and looks like it did circa 2000-2005)

but I think even though I can't really look at it objectively b/c of that it's still a good movie. and tbh probably has more of a cohesive story than the other edgar wright movies, even if they are more funny.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm amazed at the cast that movie pulled in. There's some big names there that went on to make serious bank.

Even more, they turned away people like Sebastian Stan, Robert Pattinson, and Rooney Mara.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/08/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-casting/amp

naem
May 29, 2011

Michael Cera wandering though a bunch of movies with this “what? there’s a movie?” look on his face, not knowing he’s that star of anything captured that brief era really well

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

crash and the boys rules

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

???? Scott has no robot peices in the movie though, that we can see

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
scott pilgrim literally only worked if you were in yr late teens/early 20s when the books/movie came out and you were a nerd. it was about being that age in that place and time. it's mostly a 'finding yourself as a young person'/romance comic with some nerd visual gags. it's not really something you can go back to and enjoy in the same way in 2020 nearing 40.

the game will be rad to replay tho.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that Scott is a goddamn pedo dating a highschooler

mod pilgrim

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enki42 posted:

Scott Pilgrim makes me super nostalgic since the entire movie is filmed and takes place within like a 2 block radius of where I lived in my early 20s (I was directly across the street from Lee's palace), probably supposed to be about the same time i was there (i.e. lee's palace is open, sonic boom is still on bloor and looks like it did circa 2000-2005)

but I think even though I can't really look at it objectively b/c of that it's still a good movie. and tbh probably has more of a cohesive story than the other edgar wright movies, even if they are more funny.

Yea, it's real nice to see a movie shot in Toronto and be set there too. It even has geography of the city down pretty well. Rip Honest Ed's.

And yea, the movie is not as clear as the comic that the story is about Scott learning not to be a horrible piece of poo poo, but there is a reason he doesn't win until he realizes what garbage he's been.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'd prefer an ending where he doesn't win at all

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

GolfHole posted:

The boys and crash rules

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Colonel Cancer posted:

it's part of his arc

I'm not sure how much of it made it into the movie, but in the comic there's a scene where he talks about how they barely even hold hands, and he just likes dating her because it's simple and uncomplicated. wallace refers to her as scott's "fake high school girlfriend"
scott's not really dating knives, he just doesn't want to grow up

that's why the real relationship he enters (with what he at first thinks is a manic pixie dreamgirl) turns out to require so much fighting- the evil ex-boyfriends are sorta like the baggage you have to overcome to make a relationship work

dating knives was still unambiguously a lovely thing for him to do, though
scott's a dumbass and a piece of poo poo, and his safe, fake relationship with knives was still very real to her, and so he ends up creating a piece of his own baggage that, in turn, ramona has to deal with. it's only because knives is a strong enough and good enough person in her own right that she's able to move on and, in the movie, ultimately decides to help scott and ramona overcome their problems. she decides to be the bigger person (the only big person in the conflict, really) figuratively and literally allowing scott to move on from the unjust way that he treated her

incidentally, this also lends a lot of subtext about male entitlement- ramona's evil exes not only show no such maturity, but aren't even interested in winning her back (why would they form a team otherwise?), just punishing her... with the exception of roxy, the lone female of the group, who's shown to actually still be friends with ramona, is justifiably concerned that scott is cheating on her, and is mostly there to challenge scott's emotional cowardice

(that's knives' dad she's fighting- in the comic there is a subplot where he finds out about scott and immediately decides to kill him lol)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wow the comic must be even worse than that garbage dumb of the movie huh

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wow the comic must be even worse than that garbage dumb of the movie huh

I liked it

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its High Fidelity but Anime which is what everyone wanted because when people watch High Fidelity they see it and say "I wish this was a anime"

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Cubone posted:

it's part of his arc

I'm not sure how much of it made it into the movie, but in the comic there's a scene where he talks about how they barely even hold hands, and he just likes dating her because it's simple and uncomplicated. wallace refers to her as scott's "fake high school girlfriend"
scott's not really dating knives, he just doesn't want to grow up

that's why the real relationship he enters (with what he at first thinks is a manic pixie dreamgirl) turns out to require so much fighting- the evil ex-boyfriends are sorta like the baggage you have to overcome to make a relationship work

dating knives was still unambiguously a lovely thing for him to do, though
scott's a dumbass and a piece of poo poo, and his safe, fake relationship with knives was still very real to her, and so he ends up creating a piece of his own baggage that, in turn, ramona has to deal with. it's only because knives is a strong enough and good enough person in her own right that she's able to move on and, in the movie, ultimately decides to help scott and ramona overcome their problems. she decides to be the bigger person (the only big person in the conflict, really) figuratively and literally allowing scott to move on from the unjust way that he treated her

incidentally, this also lends a lot of subtext about male entitlement- ramona's evil exes not only show no such maturity, but aren't even interested in winning her back (why would they form a team otherwise?), just punishing her... with the exception of roxy, the lone female of the group, who's shown to actually still be friends with ramona, is justifiably concerned that scott is cheating on her, and is mostly there to challenge scott's emotional cowardice

(that's knives' dad she's fighting- in the comic there is a subplot where he finds out about scott and immediately decides to kill him lol)

Wow, what a bunch of stupid poo poo.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

here.
See its really cool, we took boring social drama and added swords!

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

here.
Imagine this, what if archie had a katana!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Beard Dandruff posted:

Imagine this, what if archie had a katana!
thats just the sonic comics

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

here.
I literally want all oughties era hipsters to murder each other with swords.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nerds obsessed with katanas make me want to vomit

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Beard Dandruff posted:

I literally want all oughties era hipsters to murder each other with swords.

I'm confused, it sounds like you'd love Scott Pilgrim

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Instead of bursting into coins, they're disembowled and their organd fall in the dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
that sounds offal