Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most anticipated?
This poll is closed.
Sky vs Carter 20 76.92%
Jay vs Rhodes 3 11.54%
Sydal vs Spears 3 11.54%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lol if Sydal never hits the SSP in AEW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

who woulda thought

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
evan bourne lost lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol he never even got to do his SSP in AEW

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Spears actually looked pretty good tonight, honestly

yeah, really crisp did the mean guy role well, good aggression. really liked it and he fits right in with FTR with that style of match

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Still not sold on the dude, I think Spears looked better in that match tbh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Huh.

Guess Sydal ain't signed.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

scorp cares about his buddy :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm fully onboard for an hour long Saturday Night show each week.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Skydal

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Spears looked good. Tully on his penis area for no reason will be hard to forget for me though

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

Huh.

Guess Sydal ain't signed.

he's freelancing a bunch of places rn.

that was a good show

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why did they do this episode. i'm not mad. just wondering

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

well that was a fun show, much more than i expected it to be

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Sydal looked great and Spears is honestly turning it around big time the past few months

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

smarxist posted:

Sydal looked great and Spears is honestly turning it around big time the past few months

the power of the GLOVE

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Good show, weirdly interested in seeing the Spears-Sky match they just teased.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That was an easy watch. If this is the format for the second show, then, ten thumbs up.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm not pissed off

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

free gift

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Cavauro posted:

It was an ad to capitalize on the NBA audience.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cavauro posted:

I'm not pissed off

you seem mad

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Cavauro posted:

I'm not pissed off

You’re causing a scene.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ExHumus posted:

It was an ad to piggyback off the NBA audience.

i wonder how this actually works out when theres a 30 minute buffer of recap coverage following the game which is when most viewers switch off. i think next time they do this they should have chris jericho and excalibur on the Inside The NBA table to help push it to catch viewers attention

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think this is more, as said, a test for what a one hour show would look like.

And I really liked it. Good solid format.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Just waking up in the UK. Fite is streaming this as halfway through the Sydal / Spears match. I take it everyone else is ahead of this?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Cavauro posted:

At first the plan was to air it after a Wednesday basketball game to make sure wrestling was on on the normal AEW night (and maybe capitalize on an NBA lead-in) even with normal Dynamite airing Thursday. But then the playoffs happened in a way that there was no game Wednesday, so they just had this hour of TV that they needed to do something with. And so they put it on TV a different night

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lamuella posted:

Just waking up in the UK. Fite is streaming this as halfway through the Sydal / Spears match. I take it everyone else is ahead of this?

Show's over, fam.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lamuella posted:

Fite was about 15 minutes behind the TNT broadcast

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah if i had a 60-90 minute dark, 2 hour dynamite, and 1 hour extra show each week i'd feel very sated in my wrestling content, and it helps get more and more wrestlers exposure. tonight was fun, im gonna throw on a movie (im thinking high fidelity) and go to bed, wish i could stay up and watch G1 with you all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lamuella posted:

Show just ended, yep.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MJeff posted:

Show's over, fam.

That's what I thought from the comments.

Oh well, I'll see if I can watch from the start, or just watch Dark and wait for this to process.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if this bonus episode does more than 650k viewers i will be a little surprised and very happy. i think im regular happy with at least 500k.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hope you're happy

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I would not expect this show to do well in the ratings at all, but as a format test it was fantastic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pylons posted:

I would not expect this show to do well in the ratings at all, but as a format test it was fantastic.
What do after midnight EST ratings even look like? What's even on TV?

Like maybe it does 100k and that's incredible?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

What do after midnight EST ratings even look like? What's even on TV?

Like maybe it does 100k and that's incredible?

it aired live on the west coast before 11pm so hopefully those numbers count

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

explosivo posted:

Put Sydal with Ben Carter

I was way more impressed with Carter than Sydal. Hell if I had to pick somebody else to put with Carter, I might just go with Lee Johnson. That Dark match today was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Caught up now. Late night Dynathoughts:

Jericho out. Props to Puf headbanging like gently caress on the face side. Props to Luther barely singing along.

1) Ben Carter vs Scorpio Sky. God, you can see how much Carter is enjoying being out there. Not in a "happy to be here" way, but in a joyful way. Lots of fun chain wrestling to start. Carter is very impressive so far, lots of unexpected innovative stuff. Match gets a little slow towards the middle, but it feels like Sky is upping his game. Great machine gun chops from Carter, but Sky is dominating. Carter has a flurry towards the end that just looks incredible, that running SSP is astonishing. And that frog splash is one of the prettiest I've seen since Eddy. They're ending this one strong, lots of fast savage stuff, leading to Sky's TKO, but boy, he knew he was in a war. These guys raised each other's games hugely.

2) Anna Jay vs Brandi Rhodes. Fast start from these two, and moving to some vicious stuff on the outside fast. They're letting Brandi start off hot, but Anna gets the choke in before too much damage is done. Anna's moveset has increased considerably and she is way more confident in the ring than she was. Stu came out to protect the one person he's scared of. Love it. And Anna wins! This wasn't a long match, but I really enjoyed it.

3) Shawn Spears vs Matt Sydal. Matt Sydal's music kind of stinks. Spears is looking good. They really need to move him away from the goofy stuff, he is so much better like this as a killer. I like that Sydal has some solid chain wrestling and mat skills that he can draw on. The leaping hurricanrana to Spears on the top rope was also great. Spears has some good grounded powerhouse moves. My residual dislike for him is wearing off. Sydal wiping down the ropes before the top rope move was a nice touch. And then we end with a palmstrike dance party. This was a lot better than I was expecting.

Post-match Sky stopping the beat down is good. I could watch that match.

Overall this was a tight and enjoyable hour of wrestling television. Good work, guys.