Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

A lot of churches and weirdo private individuals made private press vanity records; some semi legit labels put out tax scam releases to lose money on purpose, and vinyl was the only format to get your recording out so you couldn't just upload it somewhere at no cost if you wanted people to hear it

My Dad and his teenage band saw an ad in a magazine that if you sent in a recording to wherever this was, they'd press a record for you.

Their record came back warped.

They did keep a copy of the recording they sent in, which is how I know that none of them had much of a clue as to the lyrics of The House of the Rising Sun.

In the late 1960s, just about every town of size had its own recording label, which was really useful for local acts to promote themselves and make a little money. There was one around here, Land O' Roses, that made it long enough to distribute 8-tracks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
According to legend, LA punk band The Germs were the first band to put out an actual album. They had no idea how to play or record, and when they got their pressings back from whatever local vanity label they made a deal with they all had "This album causes ear cancer" printed on them. The band was supposedly annoyed by this but I figured that would be a boon for a deliberately obnoxious 80s hardcore band.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Camping.. Intense! posted:

I am so happy that someone else shares my love of this album. Cant listen to any of Bloodhound Gangs newer stuff anymore but man that first album was amazing. There is a really good write up of it linked from the wiki page.

https://www.ocweekly.com/bloodhound-gangs-debut-the-20th-anniversary-you-shouldnt-have-skipped-6587427/

What up, UYF buddy!?! :hfive:

Check out how many copies of it I own on vinyl (CD included for reference)

I got the album when it first came out, in 1995. They played about 10 seconds of "Legend in My Spare Time" in this Scott & Todd name that tune prank call on WPLJ. I loved the 10 seconds that I heard, and went to the store expecting to see a bunch of black dudes in latex and glitter and nearly laughed my rear end off when I saw a bunch of white guys intentionally looking like idiots. I bought it right there and it blew the balls off me the second I got home and crammed it into my Aiwa CD player. A few of the songs had to grow on me, but "Legend in My Spare Time", "One Way", and "Coo Coo Ca Choo" made me fall in love with it instantly.

Then less than a year later I see on The Box (a music video channel where you call a 900 number to request a specific music video and they will then play it) scrolled across the bottom of the screen "Bloodhound Gang - Fire Water Burn". I couldn't believe they had a new song, so of course I ordered it.

:stonk: was the look on my face when I first heard and watched it. I didn't recognize more than half the band; turned out 3 out of 5 members were replaced. It sounded nothing like what I expected. Most bands have a 2 year (or more) gap in between album releases. This was only a year, and it was such a drastic change in such a short period of time. Somehow Jimmy Pop apparently learned to play the guitar in like 6 months or something. Over time their rock-oriented stuff grew on me slightly. As each album of theirs released, I liked less and less songs per album. Beer Coaster had like 5 or 6 decent songs. Boobies had 2 or 3. After that I have no loving clue what they were releasing. Pure garbage. That "Hard Off" album was abysmal from start to finish.

But for that small magical window in 1995, they put out easily one of my favorite albums of all time; one that apparently nobody knows exists, not even fans of the bands themselves.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Wow, that is hardcore! I thought it had been pretty much forgotten and relegated to the back of my mind. I am in Australia so I only heard of BHG when Fire Water Burn was big around 97, but then i wanted more and I had to order in the Use Your Fingers album from the U.S. because it wasnt stocked anywhere. I have pretty much the same thoughts as you on the trajectory of their albums, it basically became a Jimmy Pop vanity project but what i wouldnt give to see them do a reunion tour for the Fingers album.

I think that having the two leads was a much better direction for the band as they can trade off verses and not have so much of the punny corny stuff from Jimmy Pop. Especially in the last two albums its like he came up with a "funny" song name and then wrote lyrics around it and chucked some Eurodance behind it, its just real low effort.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Check out how many copies of it I own on vinyl (CD included for reference)

I got the album when it first came out, in 1995. They played about 10 seconds of "Legend in My Spare Time" in this Scott & Todd name that tune prank call on WPLJ. I loved the 10 seconds that I heard, and went to the store expecting to see a bunch of black dudes in latex and glitter and nearly laughed my rear end off when I saw a bunch of white guys intentionally looking like idiots. I bought it right there and it blew the balls off me the second I got home and crammed it into my Aiwa CD player. A few of the songs had to grow on me, but "Legend in My Spare Time", "One Way", and "Coo Coo Ca Choo" made me fall in love with it instantly.

Then less than a year later I see on The Box (a music video channel where you call a 900 number to request a specific music video and they will then play it) scrolled across the bottom of the screen "Bloodhound Gang - Fire Water Burn". I couldn't believe they had a new song, so of course I ordered it.

:stonk: was the look on my face when I first heard and watched it. I didn't recognize more than half the band; turned out 3 out of 5 members were replaced. It sounded nothing like what I expected. Most bands have a 2 year (or more) gap in between album releases. This was only a year, and it was such a drastic change in such a short period of time. Somehow Jimmy Pop apparently learned to play the guitar in like 6 months or something. Over time their rock-oriented stuff grew on me slightly. As each album of theirs released, I liked less and less songs per album. Beer Coaster had like 5 or 6 decent songs. Boobies had 2 or 3. After that I have no loving clue what they were releasing. Pure garbage. That "Hard Off" album was abysmal from start to finish.

But for that small magical window in 1995, they put out easily one of my favorite albums of all time; one that apparently nobody knows exists, not even fans of the bands themselves.

The only song most us Lay-Men know of the Bloodhound Gang is Bad Touch. So yeah. They dont suprise me being a wierdo band that fit into early 2000s Playboy aestetic.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Loretta Fudge, one of the Fudge sisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
This isn't the "best album name" thread :confused: