Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Yeah I had already linked it for fallguys and yesterday it just imported my steam stuff. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
485 might not be much depending on how they count it since they have like every country's flag, a bunch of online flags, etc

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Iznogood posted:

Yeah I had already linked it for fallguys and yesterday it just imported my steam stuff. I think.

Yep, that's exactly what happened. It gave you credit for when you played a long time ago. It should have brought in all items you had back then, not just the stuff that was made legacy.

Phobeste posted:

485 might not be much depending on how they count it since they have like every country's flag, a bunch of online flags, etc

That's true, antennae have the highest percentage of "free" stuff of any type of item.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
yeah the game comes with a shitload of free customization options, especially the antennae. Which is funny because I never use an antenna

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

The Fattest PI posted:

yeah the game comes with a shitload of free customization options, especially the antennae. Which is funny because I never use an antenna

No one should, imo.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Knockout is back if that’s your bag. (It’s mine)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Guys, I did it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Congrats I got it 2 seasons before this and haven't really climbed. (I hit diamond 2 in 2's briefly)

It's time to nail down dribbles, flicks, air dribbles/air roll kind of stuff. Or just become a positioning/game sense master.

My few car lengths off the wall game has gotten a lot better lately.

Come to the discord and party up, a lot of people are champ 2 or whatever we could use more diamond blood.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 17, 2022

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I was pretty consistently like a Plat 2 for a few seasons, but for whatever reason, I have become just incapable of accomplishing anything in the game and am now again a Gold.

gently caress this incredibly entertaining game.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Plat 2 is my competitive rank but for some reason I am consistently diamond in the 3v3 tourney. I have never won a diamond but have won probably 8 Platinum tournies with randos. over the last year.

I just know how to be a solid utility teammate who wont let ball get behind me if my teammates are both in front of me but I just cant get consistent enough in competitive to get into diamond since I just am not a one man show and have limited/moderate scoring ability at that level since my aerial ability is not super good (and i am often stoned and tired after work)

My defense is real good though. I just want to get diamond rank in regular competitive >:( so good job goon

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Guys, I did it!

Gg! Did you hook up a controller to your phone or were you going au naturel?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Guys, I did it!

drat that's really good for Sideswipe, I died in bronze and ran back to RL. What's your rank in RL?

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

CellBlock posted:

I was pretty consistently like a Plat 2 for a few seasons, but for whatever reason, I have become just incapable of accomplishing anything in the game and am now again a Gold.

gently caress this incredibly entertaining game.

the general skill of the userbase increases over time, plateauing or falling down in ranks is fairly normal (especially if you're not actively working on stuff in freeplay, since so much of the remaining playerbase does that). try playing more casual; i've had a much better relationship with the game in general since i cut my playtime in ranked back, and i feel like i've improved a lot by doing so.

join the discord (link in the OP) and post a replay in #try-hardzone, there are a lot of very good and patient players a few to many tiers above you who would be willing to go over stuff with you. i'm perma-diamond, and every time i do a replay review i generally come away with a few concise bullet points to work on and improve.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Contra Duck posted:

Gg! Did you hook up a controller to your phone or were you going au naturel?

All thumbs, baby

pik_d posted:

drat that's really good for Sideswipe, I died in bronze and ran back to RL. What's your rank in RL?

I haven't played since before f2p, but I was Plat back then

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

JesustheDarkLord posted:

All thumbs, baby

drat, you’re a gaming titan!

EmbryoSteve posted:

I just know how to be a solid utility teammate who wont let ball get behind me if my teammates are both in front of me but I just cant get consistent enough in competitive to get into diamond since I just am not a one man show and have limited/moderate scoring ability at that level since my aerial ability is not super good (and i am often stoned and tired after work)

Sounds like you already know what’s keeping you from diamond. Playing conservative is helpful but you still need solid core mechanics (shooting, dribbling, recoveries, aerials, etc) to take advantage of your positioning.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I watched the video in the op and read a lot of the YouTube comments for some reason and most of the comments were about how many of their shots (all time best highlight clips per rank) were way better than the rank.

I think it's partially because you can't do the flashy over complicated shots with impunity in higher ranks, because they've seen those moves before and know how to shut you down (either a last minute save or even a predictive pre jump, bump, 50/50, or ball steal.

A good part of the skill seems to come from just sheer hours of machine learning style simulations of possible scenarios.

The truly best players can still hit those amazing shots because they can put the ball wherever you aren't very consistently.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Hey, have y'all heard about "freestyling"? It's when a teen grinds mechanically to the exclusion of any hint of game sense, intentionally loses MMR until they're playing against absolutely fresh players, then drags them into 5+ minute overtimes without ever letting the newbie touch the ball while they spinny in the air.

Artist illustration:

Anyway, since Psyonix had nothing better to do and hate fun, they handed out 30d bans for "unsportsmanlike conduct" to these folks! Can you imagine, trying to protect new players from seeing all these cool tricks??

The carefully curated MMR sandbagging was undone: https://rocketleague.tracker.network/rocket-league/profile/steam/76561198893029666/mmr?playlist=0

Now look what these poor freestylers are forced to do, look at these games with opponents who can meaningfully challenge the ball: https://twitter.com/skyler_RL/status/1579911821422886912
Do you think that's funny??? When they can't do a cool setup without a platinum 1 duelist cruelly taking the ball away??? Or getting bumped in the air and still getting a goal without 6 more flip resets??? When will the horrors end. When will Psyonix reverse this terrible decision and let players with thousands of hours trounce neophytes without repercussions!?!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
hell yeah

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

Hey, have y'all heard about "freestyling"? It's when a teen grinds mechanically to the exclusion of any hint of game sense, intentionally loses MMR until they're playing against absolutely fresh players, then drags them into 5+ minute overtimes without ever letting the newbie touch the ball while they spinny in the air.

Artist illustration:

Anyway, since Psyonix had nothing better to do and hate fun, they handed out 30d bans for "unsportsmanlike conduct" to these folks! Can you imagine, trying to protect new players from seeing all these cool tricks??

The carefully curated MMR sandbagging was undone: https://rocketleague.tracker.network/rocket-league/profile/steam/76561198893029666/mmr?playlist=0

Now look what these poor freestylers are forced to do, look at these games with opponents who can meaningfully challenge the ball: https://twitter.com/skyler_RL/status/1579911821422886912
Do you think that's funny??? When they can't do a cool setup without a platinum 1 duelist cruelly taking the ball away??? Or getting bumped in the air and still getting a goal without 6 more flip resets??? When will the horrors end. When will Psyonix reverse this terrible decision and let players with thousands of hours trounce neophytes without repercussions!?!

Haha Local nerd discovers favorite game is actually multiplayer, is not amused.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Has anyone managed to equip a "Country Banner" after completing that first challenge? I can see them in "Manage inventory" but when I try to "Choose banner" they're nowhere to be found!

Edit: Ah, it's not under F, it's in the very upper-left corner. I forgot it doesn't start at the top by default. Needed to scroll up. Thanks!

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 18, 2022

homer
Jan 4, 2001

I went to Profile, Choose Banner and then there's a Federation Banner folder with them in it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I really wish this game had a "don't match me with children" option. It's not enjoyable during the day because you can tell it's just a bunch of kids trying to touch the ball as much as possible, no semblance of teamwork. The difference between playing in the afternoon vs. late at night has always been very apparent to me. I thought this would get better as I ranked higher, but it doesn't.

Also, losing a ranked match when one of your teammates quits shouldn't count against your ranking. Why doesn't it bring in another player like it does for casual matches?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I really wish this game had a "don't match me with children" option. It's not enjoyable during the day because you can tell it's just a bunch of kids trying to touch the ball as much as possible, no semblance of teamwork. The difference between playing in the afternoon vs. late at night has always been very apparent to me. I thought this would get better as I ranked higher, but it doesn't.

imagine all the times a 8 year old has dunked on you and you didn't even know about it

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Also, losing a ranked match when one of your teammates quits shouldn't count against your ranking. Why doesn't it bring in another player like it does for casual matches?

The only reason I play ranked is so that I don't get put into a match with three minutes left on the clock where our team is four goals down and salty at each other. I prefer the experience of getting myself into that position naturally.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

That's the nature of playing on your own in RL. Some team mates you think are playing like idiots but at the end of the day they're at the same rank as you for whatever reason. I think people just tend to remember the bad ones and not the times you instantly click with a random team mate and whoop rear end. Watch some replays of your games from your team mates point of view and I bet you'll notice you make a lot more mistakes than you think you did while playing. I know I do.

Honestly the best way I've found to play solo is to play pretty conservatively, don't commit when your team mate is in a bad position to recover, and try to control the speed of play by not banging the ball away to the other team.

I'm only at champion rank but team mates also do get better as you rank up. Champ is the first rank where I've found that everyone is a bit more consistent with mechanics and you can expect a bit less whiffing and more goals coming from mistakes in positioning. The few grand champ players I've played with outside of ranked are just on another level mechanics and consistency wise.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
When you lose a game, 5% of the time is was entirely your teammates fault. 5% of the time, it was entirely your fault. The other 90%, there was plenty of blame to go around.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

imagine all the times a 8 year old has dunked on you and you didn't even know about it

hmmm...

oh my god :negative:

Lemon posted:

The only reason I play ranked is so that I don't get put into a match with three minutes left on the clock where our team is four goals down and salty at each other. I prefer the experience of getting myself into that position naturally.

Fair enough, but in my experience it usually seems to drop me into matches that still have a fair chance.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

That's the nature of playing on your own in RL. Some team mates you think are playing like idiots but at the end of the day they're at the same rank as you for whatever reason. I think people just tend to remember the bad ones and not the times you instantly click with a random team mate and whoop rear end. Watch some replays of your games from your team mates point of view and I bet you'll notice you make a lot more mistakes than you think you did while playing. I know I do.

Honestly the best way I've found to play solo is to play pretty conservatively, don't commit when your team mate is in a bad position to recover, and try to control the speed of play by not banging the ball away to the other team.

I'm only at champion rank but team mates also do get better as you rank up. Champ is the first rank where I've found that everyone is a bit more consistent with mechanics and you can expect a bit less whiffing and more goals coming from mistakes in positioning. The few grand champ players I've played with outside of ranked are just on another level mechanics and consistency wise.

All very good points. It's pretty fascinating how you can just kind of feel when you're in tune with your random teammates. I'm sure I've accidentally stolen or messed up a shot from another teammate many times, that's just kind of the nature of the game. What I'm talking about though is that, more often than not, if I don't play late at night, every car on both sides is just hounding the ball constantly and hitting it just to hit it. I'm only at Gold and I know that's not that high, but I thought this sort of thing would be weeded out beyond like, bronze, but it largely still isn't.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fair enough, but in my experience it usually seems to drop me into matches that still have a fair chance.

Because people randomly drop in and out of unranked games all the time, goal goes in after 3 seconds and bam 2 folk leave. I don't know why anyone would play unranked tbh unless they are super new

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Not the case anymore! You have to concede in unranked now, with the same restrictions as forfeiting in ranked, complete with temporary (and much less lengthy) bans for quitting matches that escalate the more you quit. It really limits the amount of utterly goddamn unplayable games you get in unranked now

At a certain point I had a very high matchmaking rating in unranked and every game had people quitting over single goals four seconds in, and sometimes both teams would be utter blowouts with whole teams worth of players joining and quitting on both sides until one team eventually happened to just be bots. This is no longer what happens, games are playable, and even sometimes fun.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

hmmm...

oh my god :negative:

All very good points. It's pretty fascinating how you can just kind of feel when you're in tune with your random teammates. I'm sure I've accidentally stolen or messed up a shot from another teammate many times, that's just kind of the nature of the game. What I'm talking about though is that, more often than not, if I don't play late at night, every car on both sides is just hounding the ball constantly and hitting it just to hit it. I'm only at Gold and I know that's not that high, but I thought this sort of thing would be weeded out beyond like, bronze, but it largely still isn't.

Gold is firmly in "still learning basic mechanics" territory, it's hard to expect people to consider the positions of 5 other players when tasks like driving in a straight line towards the ball are consuming 100% of their brain power.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

What I'm talking about though is that, more often than not, if I don't play late at night, every car on both sides is just hounding the ball constantly and hitting it just to hit it
I'm in mid diamond and this still happens in like 70% of my random 3v3 matches, lol. sometimes I wish i had a chat macro for "please rotate back after you miss a shot. if unsure, just drive around in a really big circle around the field"

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I love it when someone brags they're plat like some kind of hotshot in order to rationalise why they're not the reason their team is losing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rocket League: I thought this would get better as I ranked higher, but it doesn't.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

At some point in the last 6~ months Rocket League seems to have become way more toxic.

The minute you start losing there's instant teammate comms blame-game "you're trash" comms. I solo queue 2's and tournament 3's, the latter is particularly bad as I often get grouped with a pair who will easily gang up and blame me for the loss.

I've now turned off all in-game chat other than quick chat. It's made a massive difference, but I wish it didn't have to come to this. When I first started it felt like the game, I was drawn to the sheer fun of it. Text chat was often people laughing, encouraging each other after a win in tournament, etc. Now it's just hate.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If anyone is being explicitly toxic in my 2v2s I tell them to stop or ill score own goals and if they don't I'll start OGin till they have a mental breakdown. I've only done it twice this year but it was very satisfying particularly the time the other team apologise for my team mate lol

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Windmill Hut posted:

At some point in the last 6~ months Rocket League seems to have become way more toxic.

The minute you start losing there's instant teammate comms blame-game "you're trash" comms. I solo queue 2's and tournament 3's, the latter is particularly bad as I often get grouped with a pair who will easily gang up and blame me for the loss.

I've now turned off all in-game chat other than quick chat. It's made a massive difference, but I wish it didn't have to come to this. When I first started it felt like the game, I was drawn to the sheer fun of it. Text chat was often people laughing, encouraging each other after a win in tournament, etc. Now it's just hate.
It seems to me that people chat less than ever in RL. I'm always using the quick chat out of habit, nice shot, great pass, gg etc. But nobody ever quick chats back :((

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I have chat set to quick chat, team only, and it's improved my experience significantly.

I wish that "gg" was exempt from the team only filter tho, so I could say it to everyone at the end.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Make quick chats show up in speech bubbles over your car.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

About 80% of the time, I find that just saying "Don't worry about it" when a teammate starts getting toxic actually works quite well at calming them down.

Of course for the other 20% it has the opposite effect, and then the game simply becomes seeing which placating phrases create the most anger. "Calm down, pussycat" usually has good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
That's not really a recent development I'm afraid, it's more a thing as you play more games and you get more into matches with people who forget the game should be fun and start to identify themselves by what rank they can reach and what tricks they can pull off. People who take it extremely personally when their teammate makes mistakes, and is determined to find those mistakes and blame their teammates whenever anything happens that they don't like. I even find that stuff in casual games fairly routinely, and have done for years. And yeah, it sucks, and kinda makes the game less fun, if you can't ignore this stuff I'd suggest partying up with people instead of solo queueing.