Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Got an email about a class action lawsuit. Sounds like nearly everyone will get 1k credits and if you can evidence that you believe you were deceived by crates you can get some cash.

I promise you, this is the real link. https://www.epiclootboxsettlement.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah it's not a scam. Here is a link to the RL website about this issue, if you paid for keys for crates your account will be (or has already been) given 1,000 credits in return, which is apparently not part of the actual settlement. If you live in the US and feel that you have grounds to make a claim related to the settlement, then you may be able to get something more from it. It really does sound like Psyonix/Epic are trying to get away from this as much as they can, considering they also changed the Rocket Pass system so you can't buy new levels anymore.

I don't know what I'm going to do with these credits but you know, I'll take it. Maybe I will spend them if that one car I use ever turns up as a painted version again.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Check this out, I was messing around with the graphics settings and I turned off bloom to see what that would look like. All of a sudden, the game just felt really fast and the controls felt way more responsive and snappy. It's as if the bloom post rendering was adding a few miliseconds delay to everything I was looking at. I quickly went from low plat to high mid-high plat in 1s and 3v3s.

It's weird, cause I have a decent PC (radeon 5600 xt and a ryzen 3700 proc) so I thought it running everything on high wouldn't have much of an effect. Turning other graphics settings down doesn't affect responsiveness at all, just the bloom setting.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

TheDarkFlame posted:

1,000 credits in return

What's that, like a dollar? Cool, I guess.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
They’re really pushing Rumble with these recent weekly missions and the season goals.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

What's that, like a dollar? Cool, I guess.

:10bux:

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

hey mom its 420 posted:

Check this out, I was messing around with the graphics settings and I turned off bloom to see what that would look like. All of a sudden, the game just felt really fast and the controls felt way more responsive and snappy. It's as if the bloom post rendering was adding a few miliseconds delay to everything I was looking at. I quickly went from low plat to high mid-high plat in 1s and 3v3s.

It's weird, cause I have a decent PC (radeon 5600 xt and a ryzen 3700 proc) so I thought it running everything on high wouldn't have much of an effect. Turning other graphics settings down doesn't affect responsiveness at all, just the bloom setting.

Yeah it was a game changer for me when I turned basically everything off in the settings. Just feels way better for some reason.
V sync was also adding a ton of input delay on my laptop as well

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
This is the last week to get registered for the Indy Gaming League's Spring Circuit. They run 1s, 2s & 3s leagues in USE, USW & EU and for this circuit a hoops league in USE. Teams are sorted into tiers based on the highest ranked player on the team then the tiers are broken into divisions of 12-30ish teams. You only play against teams in your division, the top 16 teams in a division go to the playoffs. The regular season runs for 6 weeks, you play 1 match per week. You schedule with the other team's captain when you want to play that match so it's pretty flexible. The matches themselves are best of 5, except for the last 2 playoff rounds which are best of 7. If you have any questions let me know.

https://www.indygamingleague.com/leagues

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
There's a season 3 now. I don't really know what that entails.

Came here to ask: does anyone know if there's a way to force matchmaking to the local region only? I'd rather wait 5 minutes for a match than be put on a server half way around the world; the game just doesn't work well with 200ms+ lag. I know there's a region preference but it seems to give up and just look anywhere after about 30s.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JammyB posted:

There's a season 3 now. I don't really know what that entails.

Came here to ask: does anyone know if there's a way to force matchmaking to the local region only? I'd rather wait 5 minutes for a match than be put on a server half way around the world; the game just doesn't work well with 200ms+ lag. I know there's a region preference but it seems to give up and just look anywhere after about 30s.

Season 3 is just a new competitive season and new rocket pass season. You can earn a new set of rewards for getting whatever rank in competitive, and get new items from the rocket pass.

It sounds like you're using this* correctly and you're still getting placed in other regions? What region are you in, what regions are you selecting, and what regions are you getting put into? Also based on your previous posts, are you queueing snow day? It's got a very low population so the game at some point is gonna give up if you're not in one of the major regions (NA/EU/SAM/OCE) and even the last 2 might give up too.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Ah, no I hadn't discovered that option in the screenshot. Don't I feel silly now! I had only configured the one in the settings menu, which I now realise is the tournament selection. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, mainly trying to find Snow Day competitive matches in the Europe region. Probably not helping matters by searching for matches after midnight.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojE3t1nmg0

I've loosely followed a few different esports from time to time. I've never seen anything called a "split" though. What is meant by that?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Splits are a seasonal set of tournaments that culminate in a major. It’s a weird term.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

RVT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojE3t1nmg0

I've loosely followed a few different esports from time to time. I've never seen anything called a "split" though. What is meant by that?

The RLCS X season is divided into three separate "Splits", or mini-seasons within the season - Fall, Winter, Spring. Each Split has 3 regional events leading to a Major tournament for that split. Major gives double points. All points from regionals and majors across all three splits go towards qualification to a championship tournament at the end of the whole RLCSX season. This was planned to be a LAN event with all regions coming together for a world championship tournament but, poo poo's not okay enough for that so it's regional championships only this time still.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Previously there's been a couple big season events per year for the RLCS but for the last year they decided that they wanted to have three seasons of regional events all tied together into one grand competition, and called them splits. They've shifted the format around a bit for each of these splits, I guess to keep things interesting. They wanted the results from each of these "split" seasons to count towards a big final Major LAN event to cap it off, but that's not happening now for obvious reasons. I think if it's anything like last year, they're going to push a bunch of smaller event tournaments for the summer and then we'll see if they reuse this Split format for the next year. RLCSXI maybe?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

So is the fennec functionally equivalent to the octane? I managed to trade a bunch of blueprints for a fennec body, and even though it's supposed to be the same hitbox and everything, the car feels much better than the octane. I'm scoring goals left and right and I feel like I'm a lot more precise on my ball touches. It's probably just that the car model more closely matches the hitbox, but it somehow feels like the car is less wobbly and more precise.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

hey mom its 420 posted:

So is the fennec functionally equivalent to the octane? I managed to trade a bunch of blueprints for a fennec body, and even though it's supposed to be the same hitbox and everything, the car feels much better than the octane. I'm scoring goals left and right and I feel like I'm a lot more precise on my ball touches. It's probably just that the car model more closely matches the hitbox, but it somehow feels like the car is less wobbly and more precise.

It is indeed the same hitbox, and yeah it just seems to feel better.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I think the fact that the fennec is a square boxy coat means it fits the hit box better and so feels “nicer” when you hit the ball.

Also, do the different car within a hit box class still have different weight/turning/responsiveness? I swear some cars just feel snappier than others.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure that when they originally standardised the hitboxes there were still small differences in handling, but they've since standardised that now too so each hitbox has its own dimensions and handling but cars of the same hitbox are identical. So whether you're driving a Fennec or an Octane or a Scarab, it shouln't make a physical difference, you should get the exact same hits and turn the exact same amounts. There are like fifty other identical Octane hitbox cars including the Backfire, the Vulcan, the Road Hog, and the Ford F-150%-the-size-of-other-cars. As far as the game's concerned they're all interchangeable.

The difference is how you see the game; you see the model and not the hitbox, so you make slightly different assumptions about the car and how it's going to hit the ball, and these small differences make a bigger difference when you're trying to do something precise. Some cars are so different you can see the edge of the hitbox pushing the ball, or the ball blatantly clipping through the car. So cars with the same hitbox do feel different but they aren't actually different. If it feels better to you, and you think it looks cool (it has to look cool) then go for it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Gridiron was activated as the Limited Time Mode. It's my first experience with it because I stopped playing for a while.

Chaos with more Chaos, huh?

-

Anyway if anyone knows the process to get my Steam DLC stuff (batman etc) to show when I run it through EGS that'd be swell to see the explanation. Also, the EGS version doesn't seem to have voice chat at all--is that normal?

There's a 24 hour waiting period to switch between "preferred platform" or whatever, I switched back to Steam and playing on Steam so at least I have access to what I've paid for and voice chat (even though no one else seems to use it)

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Full details: https://www.rocketleague.com/news/cross-platform-progression-with-free-to-play--a-closer-look/ but tldr licensed dlc doesn’t transfer platforms for some reason so go back to steam if you want it.

Also in game voice chat it is a horrible garbled mess please stop using it and save our ears :(

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

fair enough and fair enough. i should probably just spend more time on the bad rocket league players discord

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

FFT posted:

fair enough and fair enough. i should probably just spend more time on the bad rocket league players discord

:hellyeah:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

FFT posted:

There's a 24 hour waiting period to switch between "preferred platform" or whatever, I switched back to Steam and playing on Steam so at least I have access to what I've paid for and voice chat (even though no one else seems to use it)

One thing to note is that the primary/preferred platform isn't going to stop you from playing on other platforms. All it does is bring in the progression from whichever one you choose, so if you've played more on Steam set it to Steam even if you do play on Epic in the future.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FFT posted:

Gridiron was activated as the Limited Time Mode. It's my first experience with it because I stopped playing for a while.

Chaos with more Chaos, huh?
Actually had a pretty good time with it last night, particularly one game where my team actually worked together and did kickoff returns like actual kickoff returns. People acted like blockers and sped ahead to bump/demo instead of just trying to take the ball for themselves. Scored pretty consistently…which was good cause our defense was kinda poo poo until tightening up later in the game.

Contra Duck posted:

Full details: https://www.rocketleague.com/news/cross-platform-progression-with-free-to-play--a-closer-look/ but tldr licensed dlc doesn’t transfer platforms for some reason so go back to steam if you want it.
Didn’t remember this part of that article, hopefully they can do it eventually:

quote:

We are working to make Premium DLC accessible across platforms, but this will not be available when free to play launches.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I did this today!

feels good

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

AndrewP posted:

I did this today!

feels good
Congrats! Yeah me too recently.
I'm trying to plat all modes now, I'm gonna have to dribble train and work on my mechanics a bit to stay plat or progress maybe.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm trying to plat all modes now, I'm gonna have to dribble train and work on my mechanics a bit to stay plat or progress maybe.

I’ve made it to diamond in all modes and I can’t dribble or do anything vaguely mechanical.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Congrats new plats. Feels good on that first rank-up.

I spent a long time at mid-high plat, occasionally popping up into diamond. Last few season I've cemented myself into diamond and don't worry about dropping back into plat. Next up, doing the champ-diamond back and forth dance (hopefully).

Lumpy posted:

I’ve made it to diamond in all modes and I can’t dribble or do anything vaguely mechanical.

I wouldn't say I can't do anything vaguely mechanical, but I'm much closer to that end of the spectrum than the other.

I think the 3 most important things in the game, in order, are:
1) Speed
2) Being able to hit the ball hard
3) Positioning

1 and 2 go to generating pressure, which is what the game is basically about. 3 goes to generating pressure and not giving up easy goals. These are basically the only things I'm close to good at, and they have served me well. Leads to a lot of wins, but not a lot of flashy highlights unfortunately.

Also, I don't go for aerials in the forward half of the field. I wish I could convince my friends to do the same, but they are still in the touch-lust phase. A lot of the goals against us are on our open net because people have taken themselves out of the play.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

finally decided to make a real attempt to learn aerials recently and can reliably do basic ones now, been a huge help on defense and around midfield. nothing too crazy yet but they helped get me out of gold.

otherwise my game is mainly positioning and angles, I like to think I rotate pretty well and don't overcommit too much

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 18, 2021

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Lumpy posted:

I'm Champ 1 in 2s and 3s and I can't dribble for poo poo.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
it's doable to get to high diamond without learning how to double jump aerial

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'm also poo poo at mechanics. Only just learning to fast aerial and half flip.

Made it to diamond just with decent positioning and being able to hit a hard accurate shot from anywhere on the pitch.

I do feel high diamond is where the lack of mechanics is starting to hold me back a wee bit though.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

good work! I'd say the most important tip to get from plat to diamond would be to only go for the ball when it's safe, so basically when your teammates will be ready to cover net if you miss or get beaten. Around that rank I would try to play more defensive, your teammates will likely ball chase usually so just hang back and let them do their thing, be ready to cover their mistakes. Do this and you should get to diamond in no time!

And like someone else said, getting really powerful hits is key to getting out of that rank. Practice power hits in training

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Just hit 1100 hours and languishing in platinum. Only just started to experiment with air rolling

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5E4MMWr4xw
Road to SSL without mechanics

This series by Flakes (that I saw posted on the goon RL discord) has helped me a ton recently and echos all your advice.

I do pretty good with the basics, positioning, boost management, speed, PowerShot, saves, rotations.

Learning air roll some and dribbling/flicks would just level me up.

Everytime I take a few hours to work on a mechanic I see dividends, and it makes the game more fun.

I was coached by a friend that's a ball chaser, but he makes it work and have been trying to break myself of those habits for months.

More often than not I let the other team boom it for no reason and it turns into a pass to me and a goal on them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5E4MMWr4xw
Road to SSL without mechanics

This series by Flakes (that I saw posted on the goon RL discord) has helped me a ton recently and echos all your advice.

I do pretty good with the basics, positioning, boost management, speed, PowerShot, saves, rotations.

Learning air roll some and dribbling/flicks would just level me up.

Everytime I take a few hours to work on a mechanic I see dividends, and it makes the game more fun.

I was coached by a friend that's a ball chaser, but he makes it work and have been trying to break myself of those habits for months.

More often than not I let the other team boom it for no reason and it turns into a pass to me and a goal on them.

One important thing to remember in that Flakes series (which is absolutely amazing and is by far the best 1v1 series I've ever seen) is that even though he is using "no mechanics" you will struggle a bit to do what he does. Why? Because he - without thinking about it or even noticing it enough to talk about it - makes "perfect" touches. He matches speeds with the ball flawlessly, gets it to touch the part of his car he wants, time his arrival to the ball just right, etc. So if you work on what he is doing in the videos (and you should if you are bad at 1s like me!) be aware that it won't be as easy as when he does it, so don't get frustrated.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’ve been playing RL on and off since launch basically and always hung around bronze/silver. This is the first time I’ve made a real attempt to ‘get gud’ and it’s a wild how much the margin for error has shrunk even just in Platinum. Any mistake gets punished. And I know it only gets harder from here.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

AndrewP posted:

I did this today!

feels good
Congrats to you & the other recently minted plats :)

Lumpy posted:

One important thing to remember in that Flakes series (which is absolutely amazing and is by far the best 1v1 series I've ever seen) is that even though he is using "no mechanics" you will struggle a bit to do what he does. Why? Because he - without thinking about it or even noticing it enough to talk about it - makes "perfect" touches. He matches speeds with the ball flawlessly, gets it to touch the part of his car he wants, time his arrival to the ball just right, etc. So if you work on what he is doing in the videos (and you should if you are bad at 1s like me!) be aware that it won't be as easy as when he does it, so don't get frustrated.
Yeah it sorta irked me at first because there are so many mechanical things he's doing, but someone on the discord kindly explained that it's aimed at the YouTube-watching crowd of 'silvers who just need to work on their air dribbles' (nobody's stuck in silver for lack of an air dribble). "Mechanics" meaning the big flashy setpieces, not powersliding and shadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

So I've been playing with a few goons off and on for a few months, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to get the SA flag? I don't see it in the community section.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 20, 2021