Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

blue squares posted:

I want a cool car but without paying for it

Which car do you want, and which platform are you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BrewingTea posted:

Which car do you want, and which platform are you on?

I’m on epic and I don’t care, just anything outside of the starting 3. My name is blue squares on there too. If you’re offering, then thanks!!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 22, 2020

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

blue squares posted:

I’m on epic and I don’t care, just anything outside of the starting 3. My name is blue squares on there too. If you’re offering, then thanks!!

On PC, I have mostly Rocket Pass cars. Harbinger GXT (orange, sky blue, and tw) and Ronin GXT (all colors). Those plus an Octane ZSR.

They're not super rare, but you're welcome to some, if you want. I'm BrewingTea. (with the period) on Epic

Edit: Oh, you'll need to buy 500c from the store, if you haven't already, in order to trade, unless you played before it went ftp

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

BrewingTea posted:

Edit: Oh, you'll need to buy 500c from the store, if you haven't already, in order to trade, unless you played before it went ftp

Wait you have to pay to trade? That’s nutty.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
It's some form of protection against infinite free trading accounts being made and all sort of scummy poo poo going down. It won't entirely fix it but it'll probably help.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Irregardless posted:

Wait you have to pay to trade? That’s nutty.

Not every time, just initially. It's like how in order to have a fully functional Steam account, you need to have made at least one purchase over a certain amount (I think $10). After that, you should be totally fine.

Otherwise, Russian hackers just go nuts. And I mean, they still can, but at least Epic/Steam will be able to profit off of all of it.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I totally get why they moved away from loot crates+keys but I kind of miss it. Maybe I'm just a gambling addict. They must have seen their revenues go down since they switched because I used to buy a pack of 5 keys every few weeks just to test my luck.
Now you get blueprints and in terms of getting the items you want I'm sure it's cheaper to just get the blueprint and pay the credits instead of buying keys for 50 crates to get a chance, but it's not as fun. I'd roll the dice and if I got something neat then I'd put together a preset look based on it.
Spending 6 bucks for some keys is a lot easier to swallow than spending 20 bucks for some virtual wheels or whatever (even if you're spending the 6 bucks often enough to surpass 20bux). I don't really know where I'm going with this.
It got better since this new season with the no-key loot boxes you get as rewards. I think they have a ways to go though? It just doesn't feel worth it to buy most of the poo poo on the shop even if it does look really cool. Maybe they just need to lower their prices?

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not every time, just initially. It's like how in order to have a fully functional Steam account, you need to have made at least one purchase over a certain amount (I think $10). After that, you should be totally fine.

Otherwise, Russian hackers just go nuts. And I mean, they still can, but at least Epic/Steam will be able to profit off of all of it.

I didn’t figure it was each time, I just hadn’t thought of how it could be abused. Makes sense though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I thought "paying to trade" was specific to trading credits and item-item trades were allowed from free accounts? But I also can't find the blog post and don't feel like digging any more. In conclusion, rocket league trading is a land of contrasts.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

You need to spend a nominal amount to enable trading at all, was how I understood it.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Yes, you can't trade anything (on a ftp account) unless you've spent that $5 at some point.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

The Fattest PI posted:

Maybe I'm just a gambling addict.

Loot crates are literal slot machines and game makers have taken every cue from the gambling industry that they possibly could.

The Fattest PI posted:

Spending 6 bucks for some keys is a lot easier to swallow than spending 20 bucks for some virtual wheels or whatever (even if you're spending the 6 bucks often enough to surpass 20bux).

Do you not understand how this works? You're spending WAY more than $6 to get that sweet set of wheels. Maybe you get lucky and hit it on the first try, but for each person who does that, there's 100 who have spent $50 to get the same thing.

But that's exactly what they want you to think. You're not spending $20 to get the wheels, you're spending $6 for a very small CHANCE to get those wheels, when in reality you're probably going to get some bullshit that you don't care about. And when you FINALLY get those wheels after so many tries, hey it only cost $1!

The house always wins.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

1. Partytime
2. Fireworks
3. T-Rex
4. Stay Puft
5. DigiGlobe / Mr. Monsoon
Just got back into this recently and found this thread. Also found out that the DLC I was eyeing for a while is gone, in particular the Jurassic Park one. Wanted that T-Rex :(. Does Stay Puft come with the ghostbusters car?

I do have the 2 Fast 2 Furious Skyline and Party Time though :toot:

Can’t say I care for the blueprints just cause it’s like the feeling of “hey you got something!” then realize “no, you got the ability to pay for something." Probably wouldn’t mind as much if 90% of them weren’t just paint jobs or whatever.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

japtor posted:

Does Stay Puft come with the ghostbusters car?

No, just the car. I think they're going to offer the goal explosion, separately, later.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

Loot crates are literal slot machines and game makers have taken every cue from the gambling industry that they possibly could.

Do you not understand how this works? You're spending WAY more than $6 to get that sweet set of wheels. Maybe you get lucky and hit it on the first try, but for each person who does that, there's 100 who have spent $50 to get the same thing.

But that's exactly what they want you to think. You're not spending $20 to get the wheels, you're spending $6 for a very small CHANCE to get those wheels, when in reality you're probably going to get some bullshit that you don't care about. And when you FINALLY get those wheels after so many tries, hey it only cost $1!

The house always wins.

I know man I literally admitted it like 4 times in my post. If you want X item it's way cheaper to just get the blueprint and make it with credits than to try and gamble for it. I said the 20 bucks to make or buy the thing is less than the 6 dollars spent a bunch of times. I'm not saying bring back the loot boxes.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Trying to learn how to do a speed flip, just messed around in the musty pack for a few hours and didn't hit the ball once, but I feel like I'm really close and missing some really small factor and I'm not sure what it is. My best attempts "look" right, they feel fast, but I'm still not making contact. Watched like 10 different youtube videos on the subject trying to figure it out. I noticed sometimes (but not always) when I reset the shot, the clock starts ticking down even if I don't press any buttons and that has me wondering if I'm getting scammed out of a tiny fraction of a second on some of my tries, like during that initial period when your car spawns but hasn't hit the ground yet which one video suggested as a problem. Anyone got any other ideas? I'm so drat close and this is driving me nuts.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

BrewingTea posted:

No, just the car. I think they're going to offer the goal explosion, separately, later.
Yeah, it is coming tomorrow for two days. I don't know the price yet.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The Fattest PI posted:

If you want X item it's way cheaper to just get the blueprint and make it with credits than to try and gamble for it. I said the 20 bucks to make or buy the thing is less than the 6 dollars spent a bunch of times. I'm not saying bring back the loot boxes.

Blueprints are way overinflated on prices. I wanted a Komodo car body, which is 700 credits to craft from blueprint. I got it via trading for about 350. (which I got for trading some unwanted very rare stuff, so I didn't "pay" squat for the Komodo)

Lesson to learn is making poo poo from blueprints is not the cheapest way. I know you weren't saying it was, but something to keep in mind.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

AirRaid posted:

Blueprints are way overinflated on prices. I wanted a Komodo car body, which is 700 credits to craft from blueprint. I got it via trading for about 350. (which I got for trading some unwanted very rare stuff, so I didn't "pay" squat for the Komodo)

Lesson to learn is making poo poo from blueprints is not the cheapest way. I know you weren't saying it was, but something to keep in mind.

Can you get blueprint items as just normal drops in game? I have an orange Komodo car I got as a drop but I'm curious if there's blueprints that have items that are only available via blueprints.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

poemdexter posted:

Can you get blueprint items as just normal drops in game? I have an orange Komodo car I got as a drop but I'm curious if there's blueprints that have items that are only available via blueprints.

Yes, you should get about 1 bp per xp level.

I don't think there are any bp-exclusive items. If it's on a bp, it could appear in the shop on any given day, but it will cost the same, and if you buy it from the shop, you can't ever trade it. (If you build it yourself, you can trade it later, although you'll probably lose money on the deal.)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a couple black market blueprints for the most garbage black market items (like toon goal explosion), and then I trade in five import blueprints and get...the one black market piece of junk decal blueprint I already had and don't use. C'est la vie, at least I have Labyrinth.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Midniter posted:

I have a couple black market blueprints for the most garbage black market items (like toon goal explosion), and then I trade in five import blueprints and get...the one black market piece of junk decal blueprint I already had and don't use. C'est la vie, at least I have Labyrinth.

you can trade in blueprints? :monocle:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Lumpy posted:

you can trade in blueprints? :monocle:

Yeah. You couldn't at first when they first made the blueprint change but people complained and now you can. I have like 200 blueprints and if I could I'd trade em all up to the highest rarity but they're awfully exclusive about what they let you trade up with. Almost every time I try out of the hundreds of BPs, it'll show me like the 3 other items I'm allowed to trade up with.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Blueprints are still kinda like crates where they’re part of different series and you can only trade up within the same series.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Blueprints have "series" like the old crates did, and you can only trade up with items of the same rarity from the same series.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Glad I only deleted like 800 of my 1600 blueprints then! Because now I can trade them in for other blueprints that I will likely never build. Unless the "splash" goal explosion is in there. Then I'm all over it. Because I missed getting that one :smith:

In other RL news, thanks to all the new players inflating ranks, I am Plat 1 in 1s after never getting to (or much less finishing at) Gold 2 ever.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What are some good training packs and skills for like high diamond low champ? I used to be good at this game, but then they changed what good was. Now what I am isn't good and what's good seems weird and scary to me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hey I finally got a goal thing blueprint, Meteor. 2200 credits :eyepop:

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

prom candy posted:

What are some good training packs and skills for like high diamond low champ? I used to be good at this game, but then they changed what good was. Now what I am isn't good and what's good seems weird and scary to me.

It’s hard to say, problems areas at diamond/champ vary a lot. Poquitos packs in the browse section of custom training are good for general ball striking which is always nice, but if your core issues are positional/strategic then posting a replay would be more useful.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Contra Duck posted:

It’s hard to say, problems areas at diamond/champ vary a lot. Poquitos packs in the browse section of custom training are good for general ball striking which is always nice, but if your core issues are positional/strategic then posting a replay would be more useful.

I think my positioning is solid, I'm just inconsistent on my shots, I miss wall clears in the corner pretty frequently, and I can't do any of the fancy moves (double touch, flip reset, ceiling shot, etc.) oh and I just learned how to half flip like two weeks ago.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
I managed to keep myself barely above the line of GC in Season 14 (with accompanying yellow title, yay me), but after a few weeks' break following F2P, I can't break out of even C2. It's weird, because while I've been noticing massive improvements to my own playstyle, particularly 1v1, the trend tends to be that the better I feel myself playing, the worse the string of losses I get in ranked.

From how the opponents play it feels like there's been a shift so that low champ now is comparable to S14 low GC, but that might just be my own skewed observations. Either way it sucks and why am bad at game.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ovenmaster posted:

I managed to keep myself barely above the line of GC in Season 14 (with accompanying yellow title, yay me), but after a few weeks' break following F2P, I can't break out of even C2. It's weird, because while I've been noticing massive improvements to my own playstyle, particularly 1v1, the trend tends to be that the better I feel myself playing, the worse the string of losses I get in ranked.

From how the opponents play it feels like there's been a shift so that low champ now is comparable to S14 low GC, but that might just be my own skewed observations. Either way it sucks and why am bad at game.

No it's not just you, they squished everyone's ranks so C2 is the new Low GC for now.

Also you should join the discord, there's a few of us around your rank.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

pik_d posted:

No it's not just you, they squished everyone's ranks so C2 is the new Low GC for now.

Also you should join the discord, there's a few of us around your rank.

drat, then I'm glad I got that GC title when I did otherwise I doubt it'd ever happen.
I've joined the discord but I assume most are NA players, being EU myself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How the hell do you play this split screen on Switch? I used to be able to do it, but now, I can't find the option.

All profiles involved have NSO, btw (though didn't RL get rid of that requirement?). I read guides that said "just push +" and to that, I say "just recheck your guide, because it's wrong."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

How the hell do you play this split screen on Switch? I used to be able to do it, but now, I can't find the option.

All profiles involved have NSO, btw (though didn't RL get rid of that requirement?). I read guides that said "just push +" and to that, I say "just recheck your guide, because it's wrong."
:psyduck:
https://support.rocketleague.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041075973-How-do-I-Play-Rocket-League-in-Split-Screen-on-Nintendo-Switch-

quote:

Split-screen mode is currently unavailable for Nintendo Switch. We are working on resolving this issue.
From a quick search around I guess it was part of the update last month around the time it went free. (The Rocket League support search is weird cause it showed something like "10 months ago")

japtor fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 25, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The thing with crates was if I opened 6 crates i got 6 items for my $6. Now $6 gets you nothing at all. I never really hunted for specifics, I just bought a few keys now and again and was happy with what I got or traded it away/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

japtor posted:

:psyduck:
https://support.rocketleague.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041075973-How-do-I-Play-Rocket-League-in-Split-Screen-on-Nintendo-Switch-

From a quick search around I guess it was part of the update last month around the time it went free. (The Rocket League support search is weird cause it showed something like "10 months ago")

Welp, that sucks and makes zero sense.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Welp, that sucks and makes zero sense.

like many of the changes they made when it went F2P

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
got a couple of friends together and played one of the built-in tournaments for the first time last night - it was a lot of fun! totally different feeling that just playing ranked. it felt like most of the other teams were actually trying to play the game as a team rather than just stunting/leaning on one player's mechanical skill, which seems to be more common in ranked playlists at my current level (high plat/low diamond).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Can you enter tournaments as a solo person (i.e. will you be matchmade with other randos) or do you have to have a full team / party when it starts?