Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
My god, how hard can it be to code basic matchmaking logic in space year 2020? Played about 10 matches and already facing players who have fantastic air control and blingy cars. I'd have thought today of all days it would be possible to find matches with other newbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyB
May 23, 2001

TheDarkFlame posted:

Also don't worry about being bad even if you don't feel good enough to be whatever rank you've climbed to. Just play your game. If you actually want to get better, don't focus on ranks, focus on what you do in each game and what specific things you can improve on. Think about how you get the ball from A to B, how you can get a better hit on the ball, why you miss shots that should have gone in, what opportunities you could have had that didn't work out, and most importantly what mistakes you make that the other team can capitalise on. Small improvements to mechanics, decisions, rotations etc can all add up to a significant improvement over time.

Somehow I got promoted to Gold 3 despite being terrible and being carried by the team in all matches. I know what you're saying, but it's properly embarrassing now: I can't fly so I lose every tussle, can't time a clearance, am defeated by any incoming overhead shots and can't get a ball past the goalie. The most I've been able to contribute is to harrass the opposition goalie occasionally, and to play a lot of "dummies" when I pretend to hit the ball and go sailing past.

Would love to improve and I've watched a few videos, but I'm not a teenager anymore and realistically I'm not going to spend time practicing - I just want to get matched against players of a similar ability. Utterly baffling that it can't manage that.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

Alright, thanks for all those tips and that video link, that's really useful and has inspired me to keep going and not worry about it so much. It's a fair point that as a new player I'm probably a bit awestruck by some of the skills I'm seeing and not the best judge of what is having the most impact on the result.

I still think the ranking system could stand to be a little less over-eager to promote new players to face up against veterans (I think I'd only played about 10 matches before being promoted), but it's hard to argue with the purity of moving up and down the ranks based on the result only. When I think about it, it's true that any system that tried to take into account skill/points/whatever will have its own flaws.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

japtor posted:

Speaking of Snow Day, @JammyB you might want to mess around there for a while too. With the way the puck moves I feel like it kinda helped me ease into control along the walls and having to defend/shoot in the air. Most of the time the puck is just sliding in two dimensions along the wall so it can be easier to track and hit than the ball flying around with that extra dimension in normal modes.

Took your advice, had a few matches just now and did pretty well. Yes this is so much more satisfying for my level right now - with the puck sticking to the wall it's so much easier to achieve the defensive and offensive plays without making a tit of myself.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

The standard of play in Snow Day is so bad compared to the regular mode, even for people with bling cars and 'season 1 tournament winner' tags etc. I got about 8/10 victories unranked while just trying out some risky strats and not playing my best, then immediately got promoted to Diamond 1 div 1, then a single victory there moved me to div 2. CellBlock, you're definitely onto something about the low number of games causing big sways in the ranking.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

There's a season 3 now. I don't really know what that entails.

Came here to ask: does anyone know if there's a way to force matchmaking to the local region only? I'd rather wait 5 minutes for a match than be put on a server half way around the world; the game just doesn't work well with 200ms+ lag. I know there's a region preference but it seems to give up and just look anywhere after about 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyB
May 23, 2001

Ah, no I hadn't discovered that option in the screenshot. Don't I feel silly now! I had only configured the one in the settings menu, which I now realise is the tournament selection. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, mainly trying to find Snow Day competitive matches in the Europe region. Probably not helping matters by searching for matches after midnight.