Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AttackTheMoon posted:

Rocket League is fun I should play it more but it feels like I'm trying to swim without knowing how lol

It's a "simple" game with a skill ceiling that is not only high, but keeps rising. The mechanics that people have developed are astounding... and the players can do stuff now at "low" levels that only the top top top pros could do a few years ago. People are doing flip resets in Gold 1s matches for crying out loud!

Just play and have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Keito posted:

Seems like just about every mobile game has the same system. There's probably some (for the publisher) beneficial psychological effect this causes? Beats me.

Its to trigger a pavlovian response in you when you "engage" with the game. "I press buttons in this app and I get a small does of dopamine!"

Sadly, it works.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Speaking of the llama stuff, is there no way to actually claim it on the PS4? I can get tot he screen where I see the rewards and the "claim" buttons, but can't seem to actually select them to claim. Great UI update++

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Raposa posted:

Back out to the main challenge screen and go back to the llama challenges again. You might have to do it multiple times.

The old "turn it on and off again until it works" strat. How did I not think of that! Thanks.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Midniter posted:

I have a couple black market blueprints for the most garbage black market items (like toon goal explosion), and then I trade in five import blueprints and get...the one black market piece of junk decal blueprint I already had and don't use. C'est la vie, at least I have Labyrinth.

you can trade in blueprints? :monocle:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Glad I only deleted like 800 of my 1600 blueprints then! Because now I can trade them in for other blueprints that I will likely never build. Unless the "splash" goal explosion is in there. Then I'm all over it. Because I missed getting that one :smith:

In other RL news, thanks to all the new players inflating ranks, I am Plat 1 in 1s after never getting to (or much less finishing at) Gold 2 ever.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Can you enter tournaments as a solo person (i.e. will you be matchmade with other randos) or do you have to have a full team / party when it starts?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

PotatoJudge posted:

You can solo or two person queue, it'll get a random or randoms for you.

poemdexter posted:

You can queue solo or team of two and it will fill in the rest of the team for you no problem.

Now all that's left is the moral question of if I want to inflict myself and my skills on other people who may want to win.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Fritzler posted:

What rank are you on? I'm new and getting in between silver and gold tournaments. I do much better in silver than gold obviously. I have been enjoying the tournaments a lot though.

japtor posted:

After complaining about no goal explosions I have like 3-4 blueprints now. I'm very tempted to get Buffy Sugo just cause I'm sure it'll anger serious gamer try hard types. I already use the Salty banner so it'd fit right in.

...but are you as bad as me? I'm generally silver, up to gold if I play (or get carried :v:) enough, down to try getting together for a tourney with other trash players.

I somehow hit Diamond 1 in 3s over the weekend. But given that probably won't last long, I suspect we can play together sometime soon! Also, I am a trash PS4 player, so I don't know if that makes it too difficult to do comms and so on.

Are there many PS4 people left on discord? I'm at the point where I know what I need to work on mechanics wise, but would love a fresh set of eyes on my positioning / rotations and so on.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
That's cool. There are some old, old replays on ballchasing for me and the other site finds my Steam account (which is on my Mac =) and not my PSN one. :smith:

morallyobjected posted:

can you not just set the replay camera to follow you and share it from a PS4? if it's about positioning and poo poo I can't imagine anyone cares about video quality.

Very true.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

prom candy posted:

It would be extremely on brand for me to spend $700 on a new console and use it mainly to play Rocket League

Gonna play Astro Bot, Demon's Souls, and RL a lot the next moth. Mostly RL.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I got a match on the new map... I almost threw up several times. Holy poo poo it makes my eyes go crazy and I had a really hard time focusing on the ball / see other cars. I can't find the "maps" thing that used to be in there that let you poo-poo specific maps; did they remove that?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pik_d posted:

Are you in the discord? Join the Discord.

It's in this menu, when you select what to play. "Arenas" in the top right.

Ah!! Thank you!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

This new winter mode is pretty bad. It's snow day but with much much harder goals, and that's it.

I like it as a change of pace. Snowday is fun, but "drive along wall and hope teammate is crashing the goal as you get the puck across it" can get tedious. "Drive up the wall and onto the ceiling so the puck falls where your teammates can shoot it" is more interesting!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DaveSauce posted:

I haven't bought in to that "fast kickoff" thing yet. After a few years I'm still struggling to break out of low diamond/high plat (I don't try as hard as I should, but I used to be solidly mid-high diamond :(), but honestly sometimes it seems like being the 2nd to hit the ball is an advantage.

In any case, boost + forward(ish) dodge at the end is more than enough to get you to the ball against a fast kickoff, and even if you don't "win" the kickoff usually you can still influence it.

IMO it's not about hitting the ball first, or even pushing it to the opposing side, it's about controlling where it goes after contact, and more importantly giving your teammates a clean shot at it. That sounds stupid said out loud, but once you realize that a backwards kickoff can be advantageous, it opens up a lot of possibilities. If your teammate is right behind you, you can stall the ball and they can have a clean shot at it. If your teammate is in the corner grabbing boost, you can pop the ball their direction and now you have a teammate with full boost and the ball.

Maybe I'm late to the game with this, but like to take kickoffs and once I made this connection it was kind of a game changer (in that the results of my kickoffs got better, not that it necessarily won me more games). Kickoff isn't about smashing in to the ball first, it's about setting your teammates up to do something with it.

The speed kickoff can be so fast compared to "Flip once and boost" that it allows you a clean hit on the ball that unless you aim it at the other guy, he can't touch. If two people are roughly the same speed, hitting the ball 2nd can definitely be an advantage; but I played 1s against a guy using it (I am low Plat 1s player) and I never touched the ball on kickoff unless he messed up his flip.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DaveSauce posted:

That's interesting, I guess I haven't come across a kickoff that I haven't been able to compensate for after a few tries. I typically boost towards the ball and then dodge at the end, so that might be what's allowing me to catch at least some part of the ball.

But I haven't really put this to a hard test, so I might just be getting lucky against people who suck at it, or my teammates are picking up my slack.

Also I don't play 1v1 because I suck terribly at it and it's so goddamn stressful.

I boost and flip and well, and against a "real" speed kickoff, you won't touch it. The good news is, at our level, 98% of people can't do it, so you don't have to worry.

S'up "1s is stressful" buddy. I have been forcing myself to play it to get over the anxiety of it, and it's slowly working while also making me better at Rocket League!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Fattest PI posted:

Oh I think it was the esports winter games car?

Custom demo explosions would be neat but what I want is custom horns.

Horns would be great. For about 35 seconds. Then they would be the most hated thing in all of gaming.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

hey mom its 420 posted:

how do you even go for big aerials? do you just have to have a really fast reaction time? Even if I'm doing the double jump aerial, by the time I see that the ball is indeed flying toward me, it's usually to late to jump up and intercept it. they're easy enough to do in training when you know exactly when and from where the ball is gonna shoot

Apparently you play enough hours that you can read where the ball will go so it is as if you know exactly when and from where the ball will shoot with 90% certainty.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Congrats! Yeah me too recently.
I'm trying to plat all modes now, I'm gonna have to dribble train and work on my mechanics a bit to stay plat or progress maybe.

I’ve made it to diamond in all modes and I can’t dribble or do anything vaguely mechanical.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5E4MMWr4xw
Road to SSL without mechanics

This series by Flakes (that I saw posted on the goon RL discord) has helped me a ton recently and echos all your advice.

I do pretty good with the basics, positioning, boost management, speed, PowerShot, saves, rotations.

Learning air roll some and dribbling/flicks would just level me up.

Everytime I take a few hours to work on a mechanic I see dividends, and it makes the game more fun.

I was coached by a friend that's a ball chaser, but he makes it work and have been trying to break myself of those habits for months.

More often than not I let the other team boom it for no reason and it turns into a pass to me and a goal on them.

One important thing to remember in that Flakes series (which is absolutely amazing and is by far the best 1v1 series I've ever seen) is that even though he is using "no mechanics" you will struggle a bit to do what he does. Why? Because he - without thinking about it or even noticing it enough to talk about it - makes "perfect" touches. He matches speeds with the ball flawlessly, gets it to touch the part of his car he wants, time his arrival to the ball just right, etc. So if you work on what he is doing in the videos (and you should if you are bad at 1s like me!) be aware that it won't be as easy as when he does it, so don't get frustrated.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

hey mom its 420 posted:

I won a tournament today, yay! my teammates were good and I was playing pretty okay, I think I was pretty useful.

I got the platinum reward winner title. I thought I'd get put into diamond tournaments since I'm diamond (although low diamond) in 3v3s. what's determines what rank tournaments you get queued in?

There is a separate tournament MMR. You can look it up on one of the many stat trackers. I found this out when I wondered why I was getting put in Champ tournaments despite being low diamond.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

last night i ranked up to Champ for the first time ever in 2v2, then proceeded to immediately score an own goal :negative:

Yeah, but I bet it was really mechanical.

I'm at Diamond 3 div 4, and I'm terrified to play because I know I'm going to lose because I'm nervous and need 5 wins in a row to get back where I am.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pik_d posted:

All of you who posted today should join or be more active in the discord.

https://discord.gg/RHbTKk7n

Mr. Glass, Lumpy, and hey mom its 420, there's plenty of diamond/champ players or you could just play together since you're all there.

pthighs, plats who play the private games on the discord turn into diamonds because you get a lot of good experience and advice from the people there.

I don't have a computer anywhere near my PS5 and I don't want to put Discord on my phone :tinfoil: Otherwise, I would!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lumpy posted:

I don't want to put Discord on my phone

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have managed to perfectly sum up solo queuing 3s in a single screenshot. This is after 2:27 of overtime...

(I'm veddermatic btw)

I still had fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

camoseven posted:

But it will all be worth it when I'm up in gold getting my rear end kicked by good players instead of losing to bad teammates

I think you are highly overestimating the skill level of most players. I'm Diamond 3 and I still have to adjust to teammates who seem hell bent on being near the ball at all times or on trying the new mechanic they just spent 40 hours on in free play no matter the situation a majority of my games.

There is a rank at which you need both good mechanics _and_ game sense to be in. I certainly have never seen it (and this is because of me, not my teammates.)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

camoseven posted:

How distressing. I guess I'll just keep playing and getting better until I either find that mythical rank or am driven completely insane with rage

Or learn that it's just a video game of rocket car soccer and therefore should not be taken too seriously.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TheDarkFlame posted:

brb, going to see if I can find a 12hz TV so I can maximise my excuses for being bad at the game.

I'm in my 50s: my TV is 120hz, but my reflexes are 8hz. My excuse is built-in.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Unsinkabear posted:

Second dumb question: is there any way to cheesily farm assists? I still have 10 assists to go before I can unlock that beautiful butterfly paint job, and I don't have time to actually get good at this game before the event ends :ohdear:

Shoot but miss high so it bounces off the backboard. The defense will panic and be totally out of position for your ball chasing carefully positioned teammate to easily score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
When you lose a game, 5% of the time is was entirely your teammates fault. 5% of the time, it was entirely your fault. The other 90%, there was plenty of blame to go around.