Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So you'll sit through the poo poo with Allemerain/Shap, but won't go peep the better episodes later?

DS9 is a lot tougher to recommend ship-in-a-bottle episodes, because without the context of Quark and his family dynamics, it's a lot harder to like an episode like Magnificent Ferengi (which is loving incredible, btw). I'm going to have to recommend Trials and Tribble-ations. It was the Trek anniversary episode on DS9, and you can really tell that everyone was having a good time on set for it. Plus, you get to see Miles O'Brien, only enlisted man in Starfleet, get chewed out by Kirk. Also, Worf as a space trader. It's a super fun episode, with relatively "low stakes" in terms of plot, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more people recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I dunno, I just didn't really care about anyone on the station. Like, if you told me the next episode Sisko dies my immediate reaction would be "Huh, I wonder if his replacement is any better".

I've also tried like 4 times and never got through season 2.

Should I take this as you putting Past Tense in the ring for consideration?

I don't want to just blindly hunt through 5 seasons of trek to find the good stuff to interest me. Hence my thread. I take it you're putting in Trials and Tribble-ations into the ring for me to watch?

Yes, Season 5, Episode 6. I will be cocky and say I doubt I'm getting probed

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

drat, how did I forget about House of Quark. loving weird that the Ferengi episodes are the best episodes

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Watching Nana Visitor chew the gently caress out of the scenery in the Mirror Universe episodes are pretty great, too. It's pretty clear she's loving how over the top she gets to be

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

josh04 posted:

That the transporter brings people straight into the command room on DS9 never stops being hilarious.

I mean, why is it any different than Voyager or the Enterprise, where the turbolifts will happily whisk randos straight to the bridge, no questions asked, regardless of alert status? I'm thinking especially of the TNG episode with the frozen schmucks from the 90s being brought on board

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

OP, you missed Trials and Tribble-ations on your watch list post. Unless you secretly already watched it, loved it, and bought the novelization

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Best two characters were Quark and Garak. Sometimes Morn

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This is bullshit, Pick. You haven't even talked about how those Vulcans are loving pricks about baseball

Edit: spoilers, Vulcans are loving pricks about baseball

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I mean, there's also all the episodes where Miles O'Brien gets sadistically tortured. Those are funny, in the sense that the writers are needlessly punishing this dude for no discernible reason

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan, for the crime of making me remember Paradise, the only episode to just make me mad every time I think of it, I sentence you to a sixer

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

I choose Pick, for not recommending an episode

E: Just saw the recommend for "house of quark," decision remains the same but is now arbitrary

:hmmyes:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, I'm goin right back in that box.

(Don't mean to cry persecution, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to make the reference)

:respek:
Props, it was a good reference and got a laff out of me

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

Thanks to my recent sixer I have learned the value of clemency, and so choose to probe NO ONE.

Look at this evolved human, who so embodies the root beer ideals of the Federation. It's insidious

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So about Starfleet being human-centric:
It literally evolved from the human military/defense/exploration force, per Enterprise (and that's even before Space Force :imunfunny: ). I read a supposition once that you see a lot of humans on vessels because true interspecies vessels might be difficult to accommodate due to varying biology (ignore that one TNG episode for sake of this argument please). That is to say, you can't have the argon-breathers on a human vessel, the atmospheres just don't gel. Hell, even Vulcans may prefer a more Vulcan-centric ship, as the psychic noise is probably diminished, and the ambient temperature rests a few onkians higher, mimicking their desert world.

So the vessels we see are those aliens who are willing to crew on a human-centric ship, and suffer the attendant environmental mismatches for whatever reason. Maybe for cross-training on a command track or something? Possible. The species most familiar with Starfleet are probably going to have been part of the Federation for the longest, and consequently that's why we probably see more Vulcans (and Bolians for some reason...?).

A lot of the newer races probably have sizable self-defense forces yet that their people serve in that may be seen as more prestigious, or any number of other things. I think, ultimately, that Starfleet seems human-centric primarily by virtue of the fact that we're human, and can empathize more with a single Black dad than a single Cardassian father, despite wide similarities in their careers

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I am going to needlessly rejoin the fight and formally recommend The Magnificent Ferengi (S06E10). There's probably a lot I could say about this episode, but I'll keep it short and perplexing: Iggy Pop is perhaps the best Vorta?!?!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Miss posted:

I would like to probate myself, in recognition of my many successes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

THIS IS A POST WORTHY OF STO-VO-KOR!

Peanut President posted:

Baseball rules. gently caress you.

THIS IS A POST WORTHY ONLY OF FEK'LHR!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Lotta soulless minions of orthodoxy ITT.

Not seeing any episode rec's from you, Mr./Ms. Blue Star :colbert:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I'm cashing in my probe for Brute Squad! I'm hoping they take my irritability as a sign of my fertility :pervert:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Boooooooooooooooo

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

You know what DS9 needs? More springball

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Today is a good day to die!

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 17, 2020

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

That Weyoun isn't immortal. Maybe you should talk to Worf again about it.

Fuckin LOL

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Listen, sometimes your cells just get bored and you've gotta take them on the cellular equivalent of a rollercoaster. This is just basic science that the soulless minions of orthodoxy are trying to suppress

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I for one would like to congratulate everyone but President Peanut for choosing episodes that CainFortea didn't actively hate. The real winners were the friends we made along the way

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

CainFortea posted:

This was good enough of a thread that I'm going to continue watching DS9 from where I quit in my chronological Star Trek watch, at the end of season 2.

That means the thread was an unparalleled success, then! There will still be some stinker episodes in there, but there's also been several episodes not recommended that are excellent that you now get to experience. Like all the ones with Intendant Kira Nerys, for example

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I think the Maquis concept really underestimated the audience's ability to remember the setting's tenets, including that the Federation is capable of settling displaced peoples on planets that presumably aren't a political hot zone. See also that episode with the Gamma Quadrant refugees who really want to settle on Bajor based on a vague prophecy despite countless reasons why that's a bad idea.

That episode always makes me laugh, because Star Trek is really bad at numbers. The total settlers from the Gamma Quadrant? 50k people. That's a small city, like Biloxi, Mississippi, or Carson City, Nevada. That civilization is basically near total collapse/extinction. The Federation/Cardassian war mentioned in TNG resulted in "millions" of casualties per Picard, which is a comparatively REALLY low number for a conflict that lasted 23 years!

Edit: for reference, the Dominion War cost Cardassia alone nearly a billion people after just 2 years. That seems way more in line for spacefaring civilizations spread across multiple planets and crazy advanced weapons systems

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 23, 2020

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only thing about the Maquis that seems incongruous to the rest of Star Trek is that it depicts humans in the far future as being active members of the galactic community with wants and needs rather than passive observers. Can't believe that humans would feel some kind of attachment to their homes.

Personally, my only issue with them is that the Federation shouldn't have any obligation to do anything about them, because the Cardassians conquered their worlds by force, and that should make them an internal matter to the Cardassian empire. So if these fascists can't maintain their rule, that's their responsibility.

I don't think there really needs to be an explanation of why humans would colonize other worlds any more than there needs to be an explanation of why humans would leave their planet to explore the dangerous deep reaches of space in the first place.

I mean sure, the worlds SHOULD be an internal matter for the Cardassian government. But it's pretty easy to see how Cardassia would view the Maquis as Federation plants (especially given their antagonism towards Cardassia), and the Federation populace would be hard pressed to just allow a planet to be massacred when it was filled with their former colonists. This isn't even that crazy of a scenario, I mean look at eastern Ukraine and the separatist militias to get an idea of how that can serve as pretexts for invasion/conflict

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

It's pretty much that exactly. They fought a 23 year war, worlds were exchanged presumably, even if Cardassia maybe started stepping on the toes of the agreement (per TNG). Cardassian colonists were probably just a lot more likely to head home and go back to Cardassian rule, since loyalty to the state is something their civilization is big on

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah, I believe they did get put down, bodily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I really considered it, but I wasn't sure how well the inverses of characters would play without some grounding in their original versions. Since you liked that one, feel grateful that there's 2 more yet