Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the best episode in the series is The Visitor

its an examination of the relationship between ben sisko and his son jake and a time travel episode (to an extent) at the same time. its the best possible example of where jake was developed well as opposed to wesley, who was atrocious until like what, one episode before he fucks off? its also meaningful (and avery brooks literally wouldn thave it any other way, apparently) that for a tv show that was made in the 90s, a single black father is used as an role model (for the entire series) rather than being absent, a deadbeat or a punchline.

there are two caveats - if you genuinely dont give a poo poo about (either) sisko, you're going to be looking at a deeply emotional episode without a ton of connection to the characters. its also, as i said, the best episode of the entire series. a lot of episodes are close, but none are done quite as well and only a couple episodes in the series have tony todd.

minor actual spoilers that contextualize the episode a little bit, but are things that are developments over the previous three seasons of the show:

jake decided to become a journalist (and writer/author) instead of joining starfleet and the ship they're on isnt there at the start, its an upgrade in response to plot development

what episodes of tng or tos are your favourite?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
whats the best gul dukat episode? i really enjoyed civil defence, but im not sure its as widely well received among the fans

edit: how much do you care about spoilers? would you be unhappy if i recommended an episode that revealed a bad guy or a major plot point

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 24, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I mean, there's not going to be a way to avoid spoilers if i'm watching these in any old order. But if you're just chatting about something try not to spoil anything cause someone else might want to recommend an episode.

I didn't like much of ToS. TNG I really liked Inner Light, Darmok, Lower Decks, most of the Borg episodes, Disaster.

the spoilers in the three eps mentioned - the visitor, trials and tribulations, and past tense are all quite minor and in some cases totally overlap. i would suggest you start with those three since they're the ones so far

hell, put me up for three sixers in a row if you dislike any of them. im 50/50 on past tense because it can be a little slow but i'd be utterly shocked if you dislike the other two

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i think in the pale moonlight is best saved for a full ds9 watch-through if he decides that he likes the series, honestly

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

by the time you get through all of those you are going to not want to watch the rest of the show because youve seen all the good stuff, lol

edit; also if you made it to s2 and you said "i liked some episodes" you have almost certainly already seen duet which is cleanly the best episode of both seasons

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah it was tongue in cheek. ds9 has more character development than other treks, i think, and other episodes will contextualize the good ones, so they all end up being worth it to see

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I was kinda hoping you'd pick one but if your pick was in that giant quote block i'm not gonna read that cause I want to finish my list fresh. After my contest is over I'll come back and talk about that. But the way that quote started made it sound like it was going to explain like, half the show to me at once.

Trials and Tribbulations was a very interesting take on the whole time travel thing. The way they filmed it like the old style was pretty cool.

I'm also apparently a sucker for odd couple stories. Which covers both House of Quark and The Ascent.

Past tense might have earned a :toot: but the whole brutal crushing force of capitalism and police brutality kinda hit close to home right now. I've already seen Move Along Home, otherwise it might have failed totally. The visitor was an interesting story but in the end everything was undone.

well no, capt sisko still has the memories of the entire ordeal, which is why hes so explicitly emotional at the end, cause hes the only one who remembers exactly what jake did

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

It seemed to me that he didn't because when Jake asked him how he knew to dodge he looked kinda baffled and said "I don't know"

Don't feel sorry! Like, I still watched the whole thing. It just didn't feel great to watch. I did rather enjoy Kira and O'Brian time jumping.

i had to load it up cause i forgot exactly what he said but it was "i guess we were just lucky this time" which is probably the right response instead of "i just watched you commit suicide after spending 40 years of your life alone researching how to save me and in the process abandoning your wife and career and obliterating your reality" but his emotional near-breakdown wouldnt make sense if he didnt know what happened

Elmnt80 posted:

This episode really is like the top tier DS9. And while its morally grey, it definitely not moustache twirling evil. Its Sisko realizing what morals he's willing to sacrifice to end the war. He doesn't just go out full bad guy, but you can see him constantly falling down the sunk cost fallacy path over the whole episode as he wrestles with his decisions. Even the start of the episode has him trying to decide if what he did was worth it. It also has some top tier garrack in it. Though you definitely need some dominion war episodes beforehand to really appreciate it.

while i think the visitor is the best episode of star trek they've made i think in the pale moonlight is the best ds9 episode and the most enjoyment ive ever gotten out of an episode of star trek. if you've seen every episode of ds9 and you know just how much the war is affecting everyone on the station and how much episodes like the ship and sacrifice of angels and even paradise lost have affected sisko its a really good culmination of the themes within

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 28, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I think the Maquis concept really underestimated the audience's ability to remember the setting's tenets, including that the Federation is capable of settling displaced peoples on planets that presumably aren't a political hot zone. See also that episode with the Gamma Quadrant refugees who really want to settle on Bajor based on a vague prophecy despite countless reasons why that's a bad idea.

they always bring it up and the maquis person at the time says like "but this is their COMMUNITY" and its like you moron we can move your entire community to an almost identical planet in a safer place if youd accept two months of inconvenience. or you can get constantly murdered by space nazis

honestly star trek across all forms has never really made colonization of other planets remotely convincing as anything other than a mistake or a punishment. why the gently caress would any substantial number of people loving leave earth or mars or even a local space station so they can go plant poo poo on Crystalline Lifeform Victim Zone #458

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

docbeard posted:

So, uh, has anyone here ever had to move when it wasn't your idea? Because let me tell you, even when it's convenient and you're getting help and going somewhere better it is loving annoying to move, and whether it's your landlord telling you that they want to remodel so it's time to go or the Federation saying welp we gave your planet to the Nazi Snake Empire, sorry, it's much worse when you HAVE to move and some resentment is to be expected.

Like I agree that the Maquis weren't very well implemented but it's not because people should be happy to pick up their lives just because the Federation says so.

its would be like if your parents told you that you had to move out of one penthouse and into another because they're selling the first one. and also if you stay in the first one you might be murdered by space fascists. its just not a reasonable thing to do violence over. complain? yeah of course. fight a guerilla war where the only thing preventing you from being repeatedly war crimed are the good graces of one of the sides you're fighting against? maybe not

docbeard posted:

Though instead of the lovely Maquis storyline I like the first-season episode "Progress" a lot better as an exploration of this kind of thing, partly because it's as reasonable a "you have to move" situation as can be, but mostly because Brian Keith and co. are upset not because it's unfair but because they're PTSD-suffering Occupation survivors who are responding wholly out of trauma, and it's ultimately about Kira having to reconcile that shared experience with her duty to a government she's loyal to, but has been extremely critical of in the past. I don't know if I'd have recommended it for the contest but it's a standout of early DS9 for me.

progress and shakaar both did a much better job of making you sympathize with semi-abandoned cranks that live in the wilderness because they have believable reasons, goals and community origins

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 23, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Okay, i've picked. It was close.

Trials and Tribble-ations was a really fun romp, and of all the time travel eps Star Trek has done, this one was really well done cinematically.

Civil Defense was an decent episode until Gul Dukat shows up and just makes like 2000 ham sandwiches. Him just chatting while wandering around all the destruction and then realizing HE is also hosed was glorious.

Shakaar was good if for nothing else than even the military realizing that Space Karen is a dick and should be ignored.

Bar Association for worker unity and rubbing Quark's face in the fact that Rom is good and useful.

It was a tough choice, but I have to go with Civil Defense. docbeard You get to pick one of the choices offered, and since Jeff owns the forums now those are on the table. If you still want me to donate to a non-profit I will do that.

if this exercise has convinced you to watch the entire show i await your apology in two months when you return here to tell me that the visitor is actually the best episode and you just werent integrated enough with the characters to understand :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

they probably should be upset because moving sucks and being forced to move sucks even more - but the way its written there isnt really good justification for them being more than upset and there isnt really any justification for militancy

i mean as someone pointed out, people behave in insane ways all the time. i dont think the entire maquis thing is even particularly unrealistic - im just saying that its basically impossible to sympathize with them, and star trek is usually better when that's there. ultimately my point is that the maquis are not written well enough to be what i think they wanted them to be. i think ds9 is the best trek by a fair amount but i dont think the maquis as a faction are very good - which is fine, because eddington is the focal point of the good maquis episodes and he is a very well executed character

edit; I guess it has to be considered that the maquis were intentionally made lovely or otherwise it would be harder to understand why the main characters of the show hate them so much

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 23, 2020