Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

There's a fan project that's going chapter by chapter at the moment, which I found by googling "yashahime manga tumblr"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

There's a fan project that's going chapter by chapter at the moment, which I found by googling "yashahime manga tumblr"

Thanks, I found a tumblr that has the first 7 chapters translated so far (also reportedly Viz will begin their official translation of the manga this summer)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Watched the final episode today. All in all I didn't dislike it but I'm not going to go as far as to say it's a great show. It really can't stand on its own merits, it works exclusively as a sequel to Inuyasha and even in that context it has issues. The pacing was pretty atrocious, it just did not feel like it needed to be two seasons. And Riku getting asspull-revived was something I was hoping wouldn't happen but ah well

Edit: Also Princess whatsherface worst character.

Might check out the manga when there's more English chapters available.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 1, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well, I have now finished Yashahime. Final thoughts? Good, not great. I enjoyed it a lot though.

On the whole I think I liked it better than Inuyasha and would tentatively say it was the better show. At the base level it had many fewer of the things that I found infuriating about the original show and it addresses some of the flaws that series had. What's strange about that though, is that I don't think Yashahime was necessarily a significantly better show than Inuyasha despite having many fewer of the flaws that marred the original.

Yashahime had a cast that I overall liked better which they used more effectively than Inuyasha usually did and quite relevantly it didn't have any protagonists that I just flat out hated which is an improvement. I also think it did a surprisingly good job utilizing the original characters once they got involved in the show. In fact I'll go further and say that I think it generally handled being a latecomer sequel much more gracefully than I imagined it would. Also being shorter meant that the meandering pacing was less of a problem.

At the same time the show clearly struggled to figure out what it wanted to do with itself. Season two was a definite improvement but something that still stands out is how much of very late season one and early season two was spent hurriedly rearranging the plot to eventually make it into the thing it finally became. One gets the strong sense they were making it up as they went along because what show Yashahime was changed drastically more than once.

And of course there were weird pacing decisions, snap retcons, characters reversing themselves, characters being treated badly, draggy episodes, and a frustrating lack of interest in actually diving into some of the interesting questions of the setting. Those are flaws that didn't go away with the sequel. Honestly though, the biggest problem is that Yashahime didn't seem to know where it wanted to go or what it wanted to be for quite a while. If the show had started as it meant to go on it would've been so much stronger for it.

6.5/10. It exceeded my expectations, though if only because I had no reason to set my bar very high. If nothing else I had fun and it checked a lot of the boxes for things I actually wanted out of this sort of series.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Not enough of episodes of Moroha in modern times.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Numero6 posted:

Not enough of episodes of Moroha in modern times.

Yeah, I found it funny neat the beginning that she took to the modern age like a fish to water and would have liked to see more antics from her.

Otherwise I agree that it kind of felt like the series didn’t really know what it wanted to be until later on (there’s a few filler episodes where they almost literally recycle Inuyasha plots only with the main characters swapped out) and that if the first season had been paced more like the second it’d likely have been a stronger show overall. But overall I’m glad I stuck with it until the end (also Moroha is awesome and her interactions with her parents later on were adorable).

For anyone interested, the manga version (which takes a slightly different direction storywise) is currently being fan translated here:

https://ka-go-me.tumblr.com/post/663536551704330240/hny-google-drive

(If posting a link to said translation is against the rules just let me know and I’ll remove it)

An official version done by Viz is also scheduled to begin this summer

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1446947731239538689?lang=en

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i finished marathoning this last sunday and while i don't regret watching it, it's not great

at the end i'm glad the twins figured out who they are and how they fit into the world but that wasn't a vibe i got out of them trying to find at the very beginning

also it still kinda sticks out to me how setsuna's resurrection felt really dragged out, like it was something that could have been done in 10 minutes instead of 20