Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Willo567 posted:

I'm sorry if I came across as extremely negqtive, but I was really looking forward to the show when it was announced, especially after reading the manga and realizing I really liked Inuyasha

Luckily this show can be very easily discarded as bad fanfic thanks to Takahashi having very little to do with it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I feel like 99% of the problems with this show would be fixed if they just gave each plot point more time to develop and pace things out. A big part of why the communication and exposition seems mean/confusing is they can only allow each conversation to advance the plot and that's it. Where Inuyasha was accused of being full of filler this has the opposite problem - no time to develop anything.

That said I'm still enjoying it for what it is but I went in with 0 expectations so eh.

Anyway I guess tumblr has decided to brigade the gently caress out of the show and try to get it taken off the air because of sessxrin or w/e so that's hilarious

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

That said I'm still enjoying it for what it is but I went in with 0 expectations so eh.

Same. There wasn't much catching my attention last season so I checked it out and the first couple of episodes got me interested enough to start following it. It's not a very good show all around but I like the three mains enough to want to see where it goes. I was never really an Inuyasha fan so maybe that's why I'm not as disappointed in it as some of you guys are, but I get where you're coming from.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
My guess is that Sesshomaru was a consistent top ranking character in Inuyasha by fan popularity (who doesn't love rear end in a top hat bishies?) and this show was created to exploit that. Unfortunately he's not an interesting character in this and his daughters aren't very compelling characters at this point.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Lamebot posted:

My guess is that Sesshomaru was a consistent top ranking character in Inuyasha by fan popularity (who doesn't love rear end in a top hat bishies?) and this show was created to exploit that. Unfortunately he's not an interesting character in this and his daughters aren't very compelling characters at this point.

That's what bothers me - they seem to think that the ONLY thing people cared about was Sesshomaru, and as a result, has shoved every character not related to him to the side lines.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not really that into this show, but i'll probably drop it if the upcoming moroha ep is just more making GBS threads on her for no reason.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll admit, that was a pretty decent Moroha episode overall (though it doesn’t really explain how she wound up in the Wolf Demon tribe to begin with).

Next Time: Riku may finally be making his move

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Larryb posted:

I’ll admit, that was a pretty decent Moroha episode overall (though it doesn’t really explain how she wound up in the Wolf Demon tribe to begin with).

Next Time: Riku may finally be making his move

That was told last episode. It finally dawned on me that Moroha dresses just like them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

That was told last episode. It finally dawned on me that Moroha dresses just like them.

Ah right, her name meaning “double edged” is rather fitting as well.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

The episode was all right. I felt it could have been stronger had they set things up a few episodes back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

The episode was all right. I felt it could have been stronger had they set things up a few episodes back.

True, but it was still one of the better episodes thus far in my opinion.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

True, but it was still one of the better episodes thus far in my opinion.

There was one part that confused me. They said that when Moroha's in danger, she transforms into a full demon. Wouldn't her being a 1/4 mean she gets 1/2 power, since Inuyasha is a 1/2 himself?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

There was one part that confused me. They said that when Moroha's in danger, she transforms into a full demon. Wouldn't her being a 1/4 mean she gets 1/2 power, since Inuyasha is a 1/2 himself?

Also as mentioned a little while back, her being 1/4th demon is also the reason why she can bypass the new moon (as she’s already more human than demon DNA wise).

So yeah, it is kind of weird that she could suddenly become a full demon in her Beniyasha state (also why does she suddenly get a new name when she transforms?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Quote is not edit

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

They said that if Kagome HAD NOT sealed that part of her power then Moroha would have transformed into a full Youkai when in danger, and that her rouge was how it was done and could temporarily allow her to go into full Youkai power mode.

As for her power and how strong it was this actually seems to reflect what was going on with her father, if you remember one of the MANY powers of the Tessaiga was that it stopped Inuyasha from going into his berserk full Youkai mode. It's also similar to a thing from a couple of episodes back with Setsuna, in the episode with Miroku they show that Setsuna has a seal on her that suppresses some of her Youkai traits. The original series has a couple of episodes where they point out that most half-Youkai have some kind of problem or deformity or weakness due to their bloodline, and that Inuyasha (and his extended family, now) comparatively got pretty lucky. It's also probably why Towa becomes fully human under a new moon, it's her equivalent to Setsuna's poisonous blood or Moroha's berserker genes.

Larryb posted:

(also why does she suddenly get a new name when she transforms?)

Why not?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, I was just curious really.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

They said that if Kagome HAD NOT sealed that part of her power then Moroha would have transformed into a full Youkai when in danger, and that her rouge was how it was done and could temporarily allow her to go into full Youkai power mode.

As for her power and how strong it was this actually seems to reflect what was going on with her father, if you remember one of the MANY powers of the Tessaiga was that it stopped Inuyasha from going into his berserk full Youkai mode. It's also similar to a thing from a couple of episodes back with Setsuna, in the episode with Miroku they show that Setsuna has a seal on her that suppresses some of her Youkai traits. The original series has a couple of episodes where they point out that most half-Youkai have some kind of problem or deformity or weakness due to their bloodline, and that Inuyasha (and his extended family, now) comparatively got pretty lucky. It's also probably why Towa becomes fully human under a new moon, it's her equivalent to Setsuna's poisonous blood or Moroha's berserker genes.

Why not?

But why would she go full Yokai when she's only a 1/4 and her dad is 1/2? I get Inuyasha going full Yokai, and Setsuna/Towa as well, but not Moroha

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

But why would she go full Yokai when she's only a 1/4 and her dad is 1/2? I get Inuyasha going full Yokai, and Setsuna/Towa as well, but not Moroha

Because she does and that's how it works for 1/4 Youkai as well as 1/2 Youkai in this continuity? I'm neither a Youkai geneticist nor a writer on the show, I'm just pointing out how the show says it works and where they probably got the idea from.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad episode but it was mostly just set up for next week when Sesshomaru and Kirinmaru finally enter the picture

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This week: The twins finally meet their dad along with Kirinmaru and Sesshomaru gets a decent fight.

Seems like another filler next time, which makes me wonder again whether we’re getting a season 2 out of this since the characters don’t seem nearly ready for the final battle yet given how close we are now to the planned episode limit.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
My Yashahime 18 episode test impressions:

Towa & Setsuna are boring as gently caress and they're horrible people. They constantly use Moroha and hinder her from achieving her goal of buying her way out of indentured servitude. Wow Towa, I thought you with your modern day moralities would be way more sympathetic to your cousin who wants to get out of bondage. Yoooouuu suck! Moroha, ditch these losers or better yet, strike a deal with their enemies for those freedom bucks. I get that it's the Towa & Setsuna show (its stated every episode), but Moroha is the one character I like and I'd wish they'd throw her a bone and let her be free. She could be searching for her parents, people who prior fans would actually be invested in. Sesh is doing fine, I don't need to know more than that.

The fights are pretty bad. Usually they take place in the tokusatsu quarry / vasquez rocks and its just the girls taking turns doing canned animations of their special moves..b-but they don't work? Don't worry, hit them harder and you'll win as always. I know Inuyasha isn't a show to point to for memorable fights but I remember them being somewhat engaging to my teen mind (i might have been dumber back then.)

What little plot this show has is left spinning its wheels forever. I've stopped caring about the dream butterfly ages ago and when Towa & Setsuna finally bump into their father so late into this 2 cour nothing gets resolved. Wtf is Riku's deal? Probably gather the rainbow macguffins and do something sinister that makes him the main threat over Zero's manipulation of Kirinmaru. I don't care, you move too slow just like the plot. At this rate they're going to have to make another season, but I don't know if anyone wants that.

Random gripes:
I thought they were going to address what happens when someone from the future casually pollutes the timeline. I guess they'd have to return to the future first to see if there's any consequences to that.
Where's Shippo? Kouga? Who is this show for if not for prior fans? Service us. If you're trying to sell manga volumes of Inuyasha to a new generation try better, this show blows and is a poor representation of its predecessor.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 7, 2021

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Completely unrelated: Anyone else consider the Mt.Hakurei arc to be the peak of Inuyasha? At that point I was invested in characters, Kagome & friends actually felt like they were in peril, and the villains were really cool.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

At this point I'm just watching to find out how Kirinmaru ended up as a dorky teacher at a Catholic girls' school, and if anyone else from the Sengoku period is also around now. I'm hoping for some modern day comedy filler episodes is what I'm saying.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lamebot posted:

Completely unrelated: Anyone else consider the Mt.Hakurei arc to be the peak of Inuyasha? At that point I was invested in characters, Kagome & friends actually felt like they were in peril, and the villains were really cool.
I think I'll agree with that, though it was a really long time since I saw it. I liked the Band of Seven, plus that was when the show had the best opening theme.

Yashahime is... well. Certainly not what I had expected, and has definitely been a little too monster-of-the-weeky and not enough plot for the supposed length. I'm invested enough to see it through, but it's been a bit lacking.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At this point, I’m almost positive this is going to spill over into a second season as otherwise we may be in for a very rushed finale.

Also I still fail to see how what the Dream Butterfly did to Setsuna is a bad thing. She no longer needs to sleep so she’s always aware of incoming enemy attacks and she’s also immune to the effects of the New Moon as well. In my opinion she’s honestly better off staying as she is.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 8, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ian James Corlett is our new English Miroku:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-02-09/yashahime-princess-half-demon-anime-dub-casts-ian-james-corlett-as-miroku/.169330

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This week’s episode might be the first time Towa’s ever shown any genuine empathy for her cousin, which is an improvement at least.

Next week seems to be about Setsuna’s past and features the return of a minor character from Inuyasha as well as the reappearance of demon Setsuna

And some more titles:

21: The Secret Of The Rainbow Pearls
22: The Stolen Seal

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Huh everyone kinda fell off the train on this one didn't they?

The last episode I felt was probably the best so far and I really enjoyed seeing some old characters make an appearance. Looking forward to the next ep where it looks like we'll move the story on a bit more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Huh everyone kinda fell off the train on this one didn't they?

The last episode I felt was probably the best so far and I really enjoyed seeing some old characters make an appearance. Looking forward to the next ep where it looks like we'll move the story on a bit more.

Yeah, the series could be better and I kind of wish Moroha was the main character but I’m still invested enough to see this through to the end.

Though I’m still curious if we’re getting a Season 2 since we’re kind of starting to come down to the wire here.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm so happy that Moroha finally got herself a big ol' head.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The show’s actually been getting pretty good lately, though I’m still curious if they’ll actually be able to wrap this up in about 5 or so more episodes at this point.

And as I predicted a while back, the Rainbow Pearls do indeed have a connection to the Shikon Jewel

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Good episode but again just really, really rushed. I get that this show doesn't have the time to pace things the same way as they did with Inuyasha but the whole thing with Zero was really hard for me to follow wth happened and what her motivations are. The preview for next ep looks good.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

There's an interesting story in there somewhere but this show is just so bad at telling it. At least we finally got a glimpse into what's going on in the present while the girls are away.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got like 4 or 5 episodes left now right? I’m still curious whether they actually plan to wrap this up in a single season (feels like it might be a little rushed at this point but we’ll see)

Also the dub got around to episode 15 yesterday, the old actors felt much more comfortable in their roles this time around than they did in the premiere.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Next week is the finale apparently. This week was also decent enough but it felt like a ton of plot exposition crammed into one episode right before the finish line.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

Next week is the finale apparently. This week was also decent enough but it felt like a ton of plot exposition crammed into one episode right before the finish line.

Wait, already? I thought it was supposed to be like 26 episodes or something (unless I’m misremembering)

Still sort of curious if we’re getting a second season or if we’re in for a somewhat rushed finale.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The next episode preview seemed pretty clear about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, just watched the episode myself and you’re right. I kind of wish the show had been paced better in that case rather than dumping most of the plot on us in the penultimate episode (if they knew ahead of time they had 24 episodes and presumably only one season to work with you’d think they wouldn’t have tossed multiple random filler episodes into the mix)

While we’re likely not going to get the team up between the old and new crew I was hoping for it would be nice if Moroha at least got to meet her parents before the series wraps (plus there’s also still the Dream Butterfly to deal with though the preview makes it seem like Setsuna’s going to die). I guess we won’t be seeing Shippo again either.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 13, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It honestly felt like the same story could have been told better in less episodes with more competent writers. The pacing for the entire show was a mess, and I kinda feel bad for people who are actual Inuyasha fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

though the preview makes it seem like Setsuna’s going to die).

I'd put money on the idea that Towa is going to inherit Tenseiga's power to heal and revive people.