Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Good episode this week, it seems like things are starting to get rolling now. I’m still curious what the deal is with that little Shippo esque demon from the OP though but it looks like we’ll find out next week.

I assumed, based purely on the post-opening eyecatch, that the Raccoon demon will basically be replacing Shippo as comic relief sidekick. I'm more interested in what's up with the Higurashi's cat being there personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

So why didn't Sota tell Moroha about Inuyasha and Kagome? He could have invited her while he was looking at the photo album?

Also, I liked the episode, but I wish we could have spent a little more time with them in the present.

I get the sense we haven't seen the last of the present. The tree flat out said that whatever Kirinmaru is doing is related to time, and that Time Travel will be necessary to stop him. I may be jumping ahead but I also wonder if the "degenerate age" it mentions is the present, and that the series might bother dealing with that particular chunk of setting. So far the show has been really excited to engage with the story's setting in a way the original didn't really do, so I say keep an eye on that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

starbucks hermit posted:

Did anyone notice that the Dried Kappa Foot was in the very first episode of Inuyasha, a gift that Kagome rejected because she thought it was some fake revenue-generating trinket? I love how callbacks like these are so invisible but mean so much to fans of the original series.

Moroha made exactly the same face Kagome did when she first saw it too. The difference is Moroha was super excited to receive some weird rare body part of dubious origin.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

So this has been bugging me - how does Moroha have the same rogue Inuyasha gave Kikyo, when it was destroyed? I know that clam shell rogues were common in the series (Sango had one), but the design is the same.

Please don't let it lead into a dumb plot like in Naruto Gaiden where Sarada questions who her mother is

Considering that the Rouge seems to be associated with her Rainbow Pearl I assume that when the series gets around to explaining what's up with them we'll probably get an explanation for how she got hers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Though that said, didn’t someone say earlier that this series was only going to last like 20+ episodes or so?

It's slated for 24 episodes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

There is something delightful about the way they revealed the cast were having a fight scene in the background of the first episode while doing epilogue stuff for the previous series. It's hard to put into words but there's something delightfully irreverent about revealing that Towa spent a big chunk of the story shooting laser fingers at a bear and being annoyed that the owl dude talked too much.

It's also just good writing that when the show looped back around to catch up to the beginning it was able to still make stuff we'd seen interesting by reframing the events and showing it from a new angle.

I have to say that overall I am really enjoying this show. It is way above par from what I was expecting.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

Also, is that finger nail laser attack Towa performed related to the laser sword? They both visually look the same

Almost certainly. Her magic sword is a projection of her demon/youkai energy and she is using the same kind of power to fire finger beams.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

I just think it could be a lot better than what we've been getting thus far

To be cynical about the source material? I kind of don't.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I wonder if she's saving money to put out her own bounty on the whereabouts of her family.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

I still can't believe how stupid the Towa/Setsuna mother theories were when it was blantantly obvious from before the show even began, and I find it even more ridiculous that some people think that Kagome isn't Moroha's birth mother

See I think people were initially (futilely) hoping it wasn't Rin for various reasons in case the former and were leaning hard on the production being a little bit cagey about whether or not she was the mother of the twins. As for the latter? gently caress if I know. By episode three every agrees that Moroha is Kagome's daughter. It was never up for debate.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

There was one part that confused me. They said that when Moroha's in danger, she transforms into a full demon. Wouldn't her being a 1/4 mean she gets 1/2 power, since Inuyasha is a 1/2 himself?

They said that if Kagome HAD NOT sealed that part of her power then Moroha would have transformed into a full Youkai when in danger, and that her rouge was how it was done and could temporarily allow her to go into full Youkai power mode.

As for her power and how strong it was this actually seems to reflect what was going on with her father, if you remember one of the MANY powers of the Tessaiga was that it stopped Inuyasha from going into his berserk full Youkai mode. It's also similar to a thing from a couple of episodes back with Setsuna, in the episode with Miroku they show that Setsuna has a seal on her that suppresses some of her Youkai traits. The original series has a couple of episodes where they point out that most half-Youkai have some kind of problem or deformity or weakness due to their bloodline, and that Inuyasha (and his extended family, now) comparatively got pretty lucky. It's also probably why Towa becomes fully human under a new moon, it's her equivalent to Setsuna's poisonous blood or Moroha's berserker genes.

Larryb posted:

(also why does she suddenly get a new name when she transforms?)

Why not?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Willo567 posted:

But why would she go full Yokai when she's only a 1/4 and her dad is 1/2? I get Inuyasha going full Yokai, and Setsuna/Towa as well, but not Moroha

Because she does and that's how it works for 1/4 Youkai as well as 1/2 Youkai in this continuity? I'm neither a Youkai geneticist nor a writer on the show, I'm just pointing out how the show says it works and where they probably got the idea from.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

though the preview makes it seem like Setsuna’s going to die).

I'd put money on the idea that Towa is going to inherit Tenseiga's power to heal and revive people.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Genuinely unsurprised. I wonder when they knew they were getting a second season, the timing on that might explain why they had a bunch of episodes all in a row explaining the back story of a bunch of characters.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SchrodingersCat posted:

Has the second season continued making GBS threads all over Moroha? Because the first season was dreadful in how it handled character screen time and development.

edit: Just read earlier comments, and it looks like it's still a show aimed at now-adult Sesshoumaru fangirls. Hard pass again.

Moroha just had a long story arc entirely on her own where she saved a little kingdom of tanuki Youkai and this episode and the last were entirely devoted to paying off a long-running storyline about her. She's also basically paid off her debt and is still doing bounty hunting because she's good at it, she likes hanging out with her partner, and she likes being a big drat hero not unlike her aforementioned dad.

I'm not going to claim it's NOT clearly aimed at fans of the original, being the show is cut from the same cloth, has the same narrative style, and has basically all the same merits and flaws of the original, but is that news? We knew from day one the leads were the daughters of that jerk and so it shouldn't be a surprise of the show is another example of the generational Requel that's all the rage right now.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

NowonSA posted:

I only caught a few of the recent episodes, but it's nice to see a bad guy who isn't the complete rear end in a top hat that Naraku was. He still seems pretty rear end in a top hat-y, but he mostly just seems like he's gone full Vegeta, and I like that even if his evil plan were to go just the way he wants it to he'd still ultimately be doing a good thing for the world, which is far more nuance than we typically see from an anime bad guy.

This is something I've appreciated as well, unlike Naraku who very explicitly got his jollies by inflicting emotional pain on people, Kirinmaru is the antagonist mostly because he's an incredibly inflexible rear end in a top hat. He likes having exciting fights and doesn't particularly care about things like "collateral damage" or "the feelings and emotions of other living beings". He isn't actively going around hurting people for the sake of it, and at the same time he is absolutely the villain of the piece for all the things he's done and doing and intends to do.

Larryb posted:

Has it been officially said how many episodes Season 2 is going to be out of curiosity? It feels like we’re kind of moving towards the endgame at this point (Zero and Riku are dead, Rin is free, Moroha is no longer in debt to the corpse dealer, Setsuna has all her memories back and is rid of the Dream Butterfly’s curse, and next episode it seems like the trio will be escaping the Black Pearl alongside Inuyasha and Kagome)

24 episodes allegedly. Also, Riku isn't dead, he's off doing something with Rion.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Honestly? I am kind of hoping the show decides to end on a big dumb action sequence where literally everyone they can get their hands on from this show and the prequel has a massive pitched battle in the modern-day against evil space Youkai.

I tend to believe for a series like this the more it resembles the ending to a season of Gundam Build Fighters the better.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Looks like the band’s finally getting back together, looking forward to seeing what happens next (seems we might finally be heading back to the modern era eventually as well), Towa’s probably going to need a revival though

Yep. Thank goodness they have the magic resurrection sword, huh? Even money that Setsuna will be the one to use it this time. And I suspect getting thrashed is the reason Sesshoumaru will be going to the future for the finale.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And with that the main story of the show appears to be over. All that's left is the epilogue episode.

Given that we explicitly see Kirinmaru's Horn when Towa is being re-embodied I will honestly be surprised if Riku isn't also revived by the time the credits roll next week.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I can't say I've read the entirety of Rin-ne, or even most of it, but the portion I've read seems to be of a similar breed to Inuyasha in that it was mostly short arcs and self-contained stories related to the various characters. Honestly, I'd say that's more or less just the sort of thing she writes.

As for Yashahime the thing I'd personally like to know is when they knew they were going to get renewed for another 24 episodes. The last five episodes of season 1 made it very clear they were angling for another season what with suddenly introducing the concept of Akuru's Pinwheel and quickly retconning the Rainbow Pearls into unimportance (remember those? They were in the logo!) and setting up for Setsuna to get her new weapon. At the same time, the show had sort of meandered for a while and in hindsight it feels like the writers weren't totally sure what they were going to do with the series. It began with a very Inuyasha-esque random travelogue of fighting random bad guys and running stories that hadn't been previously adapted, but season two was pretty much serialized from start to finish.

And the other reason I'd like to know more about the production of Yashahime is because the show very clearly shifts away from basically everything introduced in season one, and quite sharply after a point. The primary motivation of Towa changes from finding the dream butterfly to get back Setsuna's memory into having both sisters try and save Rin, and meanwhile Moroha finally does resolve her debt and her relationship with Takechiyo becomes much more positive and she's treated much less like a joke. Meanwhile, the thing with Setsuna going berserk is shuffled off to the side and never mentioned again and her short-term character goal is figuring out how to use her new polearm. The mystery of what happened to the previous characters is quickly and explicitly solved and more of the returning cast show up to help do things. Riku goes from a slightly dubious guy to explicitly a supporting protagonist, with the last episode having him repudiate the thing he says he does. Kirinmaru starts as a high-minded, aloof figure of dubious villainy but then he develops into a guy who is explicitly the antagonist but also explicitly the antagonist not out of a desire to harm people but rather because he's a huge, inflexible tool whose arrogance makes him screw things up. They also introduce the Grim Comet, which was naturally a big deal, and an even bigger deal is that Rion joins the cast becoming essentially the fourth main character and Rion being there is really notable because her relationship with her father drives a HUGE portion of the plot going forward.

This also happened with Zero, initially introduced as the real main villain per the press releases and strongly implied to be the person who cursed Setsuna with the Dream Butterfly, she turns out to be neither of those things and is gone halfway through the second act. Heck, the mere fact that the show more or less deals with all the major character problems with about 10 episodes to spare is kind of astonishing given Inuyasha was still wrapping things up while everyone was running around inside of giant spider Naraku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well, I have now finished Yashahime. Final thoughts? Good, not great. I enjoyed it a lot though.

On the whole I think I liked it better than Inuyasha and would tentatively say it was the better show. At the base level it had many fewer of the things that I found infuriating about the original show and it addresses some of the flaws that series had. What's strange about that though, is that I don't think Yashahime was necessarily a significantly better show than Inuyasha despite having many fewer of the flaws that marred the original.

Yashahime had a cast that I overall liked better which they used more effectively than Inuyasha usually did and quite relevantly it didn't have any protagonists that I just flat out hated which is an improvement. I also think it did a surprisingly good job utilizing the original characters once they got involved in the show. In fact I'll go further and say that I think it generally handled being a latecomer sequel much more gracefully than I imagined it would. Also being shorter meant that the meandering pacing was less of a problem.

At the same time the show clearly struggled to figure out what it wanted to do with itself. Season two was a definite improvement but something that still stands out is how much of very late season one and early season two was spent hurriedly rearranging the plot to eventually make it into the thing it finally became. One gets the strong sense they were making it up as they went along because what show Yashahime was changed drastically more than once.

And of course there were weird pacing decisions, snap retcons, characters reversing themselves, characters being treated badly, draggy episodes, and a frustrating lack of interest in actually diving into some of the interesting questions of the setting. Those are flaws that didn't go away with the sequel. Honestly though, the biggest problem is that Yashahime didn't seem to know where it wanted to go or what it wanted to be for quite a while. If the show had started as it meant to go on it would've been so much stronger for it.

6.5/10. It exceeded my expectations, though if only because I had no reason to set my bar very high. If nothing else I had fun and it checked a lot of the boxes for things I actually wanted out of this sort of series.