Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I hope this series addresses a few things Inuyasha skipped over: cultural and technological contamination from time travel and also what happened to yokai and divine spirits to make them almost non-existent in modern times?

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Its especially odd because I assumed a schemer like Naraku would have eventually tried something with the well.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Fangz posted:

My hope with the motherhood question is that if it does turn out to be Rin, they use some timey wimey stuff to at least take the edge off it.

"It was a different time, feudal Japan."

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Kagome says she trusts Inuyasha and then immediately uses the beads to punish him. I know its a slapstick gag but it feels like abuse when I see it now.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I think "degenerate age" may just mean time breaking down and is not a moral judgment of the modern age.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
My guess is that Sesshomaru was a consistent top ranking character in Inuyasha by fan popularity (who doesn't love rear end in a top hat bishies?) and this show was created to exploit that. Unfortunately he's not an interesting character in this and his daughters aren't very compelling characters at this point.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
My Yashahime 18 episode test impressions:

Towa & Setsuna are boring as gently caress and they're horrible people. They constantly use Moroha and hinder her from achieving her goal of buying her way out of indentured servitude. Wow Towa, I thought you with your modern day moralities would be way more sympathetic to your cousin who wants to get out of bondage. Yoooouuu suck! Moroha, ditch these losers or better yet, strike a deal with their enemies for those freedom bucks. I get that it's the Towa & Setsuna show (its stated every episode), but Moroha is the one character I like and I'd wish they'd throw her a bone and let her be free. She could be searching for her parents, people who prior fans would actually be invested in. Sesh is doing fine, I don't need to know more than that.

The fights are pretty bad. Usually they take place in the tokusatsu quarry / vasquez rocks and its just the girls taking turns doing canned animations of their special moves..b-but they don't work? Don't worry, hit them harder and you'll win as always. I know Inuyasha isn't a show to point to for memorable fights but I remember them being somewhat engaging to my teen mind (i might have been dumber back then.)

What little plot this show has is left spinning its wheels forever. I've stopped caring about the dream butterfly ages ago and when Towa & Setsuna finally bump into their father so late into this 2 cour nothing gets resolved. Wtf is Riku's deal? Probably gather the rainbow macguffins and do something sinister that makes him the main threat over Zero's manipulation of Kirinmaru. I don't care, you move too slow just like the plot. At this rate they're going to have to make another season, but I don't know if anyone wants that.

Random gripes:
I thought they were going to address what happens when someone from the future casually pollutes the timeline. I guess they'd have to return to the future first to see if there's any consequences to that.
Where's Shippo? Kouga? Who is this show for if not for prior fans? Service us. If you're trying to sell manga volumes of Inuyasha to a new generation try better, this show blows and is a poor representation of its predecessor.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 7, 2021

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Completely unrelated: Anyone else consider the Mt.Hakurei arc to be the peak of Inuyasha? At that point I was invested in characters, Kagome & friends actually felt like they were in peril, and the villains were really cool.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
caught up:
kirinmaru has a daughter, rion, who may be a half-demon going by her earskirinmaru is a helicopter parent taken to the extreme
the plot actually moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
lmao mr.kirin has lost his marbles.