Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm not trying to prove a point or anything but now that i think about it i know more people that have made their own beer than grown their own weed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the thing I really dont understand is why Marlboro and Camel and all the major cig brands didn’t pivot directly into weed.

it’s the same drat process. grow a plant. harvest a plant, wrap it in paper, sell it. conceptually at least

with cigarette smoking falling off a cliff and competition from vapes and e-cigarettes I’d think it’s a slam dunk

they should have had this process waiting in the wings from the first legal weed bill that got passed

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

shoeberto posted:

I do think that facade is wearing pretty thin. The writing is pretty much on the wall for decriminalizing weed, but they'll just come up with something else for keeping the caste system in place.

and doing it gradually state by state gives the new jim crow system time to catch up and try multiple different things to see what works, rather than suddenly eliminating a huge way to discriminate against colored people nation-wide all at once

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the thing I really dont understand is why Marlboro and Camel and all the major cig brands didn’t pivot directly into weed.

it’s the same drat process. grow a plant. harvest a plant, wrap it in paper, sell it. conceptually at least

with cigarette smoking falling off a cliff and competition from vapes and e-cigarettes I’d think it’s a slam dunk

they should have had this process waiting in the wings from the first legal weed bill that got passed
It's probably not safe for them to try until it's legalized on a federal level. Also, the dispensary system most places are using may not be that conducive to their business model.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

as long as it‘s not federally legal, most banks and insurances won‘t touch you if you‘re in the weed business. if marlboro and camel do get involved, they‘d have to do it via legally separate entities.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's easier for people to grow weed for personal use than it is to brew beer for the same.

also most of the big booze makers probably operate over state lines

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's a price floor for weed. not so for tobacco.

no cigarette smoker would ever grow tobacco plants and build a fuckin curing shed and all that, but potheads absolutely fuckin will do a grow up if altria muscles in and jacks up actual good weed prices by selling corporate shitweed.

there are entire segments of law in many states around growing, like, in colorado if you have a med card, you can grow X plants a year. But you can sign your 'grow rights' to a local grow op; you can no longer home grow, but they can grow X more plants. You usually get a 25% discount or something at their stores while your sign-over is active. They can get more out of six plants than you can, so it benefits both parties.

its basically like the cow share thing that rich hippies do for unpasteurized milk, but for weed instead.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

no cigarette smoker would ever grow tobacco plants and build a fuckin curing shed and all that, but potheads absolutely fuckin will do a grow up if altria muscles in and jacks up actual good weed prices by selling corporate shitweed.

there are entire segments of law in many states around growing, like, in colorado if you have a med card, you can grow X plants a year. But you can sign your 'grow rights' to a local grow op; you can no longer home grow, but they can grow X more plants. You usually get a 25% discount or something at their stores while your sign-over is active. They can get more out of six plants than you can, so it benefits both parties.

its basically like the cow share thing that rich hippies do for unpasteurized milk, but for weed instead.

with the plus being that it's actually less likely to poison you instead of more

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

but being able to buy weed at every convenience store would be a huge boon for formerly big tobacco. the vape companies owned by big tobacco are already everywhere in c-stores.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but unlike smokes nobody's picking up a quick eighth of weed at the 7/11 at 8am to get them through the work day. there's no need for excessive corner shop convenience with pot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you'll also run into an enormous wall of opposition from alcohol industry folks that have lobbied very hard to make it expensive and difficult for convenience stores in some areas to sell alcohol. they would howl if the corner citgo was allowed to sell an intoxicating thing without their approval

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah but unlike smokes nobody's picking up a quick eighth of weed at the 7/11 at 8am to get them through the work day. there's no need for excessive corner shop convenience with pot

speak for yourself

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

id like to buy drugs at the Costco or grocery store, I hate dispensaries

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
weed stores here are pretty much just like liquor stores

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

But you can sign your 'grow rights' to a local grow op; you can no longer home grow, but they can grow X more plants. You usually get a 25% discount or something at their stores while your sign-over is active. They can get more out of six plants than you can, so it benefits both parties.

lol america never change

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Also a lot safer.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This is usually the week we go down for spring training so I was looking at pictures from last year.

I was fat as gently caress this time last year, goddamn.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

polyester concept posted:

lol america never change

to be fair, the only reason stupid rules like that exist are because the booze lobby joined forces with the fundamentalists to make sure that, given that they failed at keeping weed illegal, they made the laws so onerous, expensive and difficult to 100% comply to that it would keep a lot of people out of the industry.

my last job was a dozens-of-millions-in-revenue business that solely existed because every jurisdiction has different rules for what font size and weight you are allowed to use on the labels, and they were willing to develop 1,500 different sticker layouts for the labeling software.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This bird is probably dead now. Oh well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, which Reuters notes is Texas's "largest and oldest electric power cooperative," filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection yesterday because it couldn't afford to pay a $2.1 billion charge from the state's grid operator, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT). Brazos Electric had committed to provide power to the grid, but wasn't able to because so many power stations were knocked offline by the winter storm last month. So the company had to meet that commitment by buying power at hugely inflated prices — $9,000 per megawatt-hour, the highest allowed (normal wholesale prices average around $35 per MWH).

On top of that, ERCOT added other fees that bumped the full price of electricity to $25,000 per MWH. In all, Brazos said, ERCOT's bill for just seven days amounted to three times as much as Brazos's wholesale power costs for the entire year of 2020.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZoxCFcSiXA

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aren't we all, Alex.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

what

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I want to open my own dispensary in an abandoned bank because
1.) free heightened security and bonus if they didn't remove the vault
2.) pneumatic tubes delivering weed sounds so loving cool to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Target Track Jacket posted:

I believe you meant to write "pneumatic tubes delivering high pressure vapor"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Target Track Jacket posted:

want to open the first space dispensary

that's right this cosmic chronic is out of this world

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think it would be fun to open up a classic 90s style dispensary w/ a few friends, where it's just like going over to your dealer's crappy apartment. there's a playstation, a few empty soda bottles and detritus, and they really want you to stick around and check out their new mixed tape. you have to call their pager number and hope they get back to you before you can go over. the weed is either terrible, dry, period accurate brickweed schwag or modern headies. call it some dude's house or w/e

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you can play tekken but controller 2 sucks, the cash register is a sock drawer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

i think it would be fun to open up a classic 90s style dispensary w/ a few friends, where it's just like going over to your dealer's crappy apartment. there's a playstation, a few empty soda bottles and detritus, and they really want you to stick around and check out their new mixed tape. you have to call their pager number and hope they get back to you before you can go over. the weed is either terrible, dry, period accurate brickweed schwag or modern headies. call it some dude's house or w/e

i feel like you've just described one of next year's netflix shows

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I like the dispensaries here in Florida because I feel like a cool member of a club with my own fancy ID that says this person can get weed whenever the gently caress he wants (within business hours)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

qirex posted:

Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, which Reuters notes is Texas's "largest and oldest electric power cooperative," filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection yesterday because it couldn't afford to pay a $2.1 billion charge from the state's grid operator, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT). Brazos Electric had committed to provide power to the grid, but wasn't able to because so many power stations were knocked offline by the winter storm last month. So the company had to meet that commitment by buying power at hugely inflated prices — $9,000 per megawatt-hour, the highest allowed (normal wholesale prices average around $35 per MWH).

On top of that, ERCOT added other fees that bumped the full price of electricity to $25,000 per MWH. In all, Brazos said, ERCOT's bill for just seven days amounted to three times as much as Brazos's wholesale power costs for the entire year of 2020.

Brazzers Electric Power Cooperative

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

cigarettes still have a big market in europe and asia plenty of money there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bump_fn posted:

cigarettes still have a big market in europe and asia plenty of money there

I think it's down now but at one point there were almost as many smokers in china as people in the US

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

I think it's down now but at one point there were almost as many smokers in china as people in the US

I’m surprised there aren’t more, China reports a population of 1.4bil vs 328mil in the US and it seems like everybody smokes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

there were more. in the early 2000s, china had 350 million smokers or more, a huge percentage of which are men. something like 52% of the global male smoking population is chinese.

big population numbers skew everything. it was funny at one point when one of the us shows had a chinese tv host on and they discussed audience size

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i definitely know one guy who would do this.

i stayed over at his place a few times and he would wake up at 4am to hit the bong and go back to sleep

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

add the Hot Couch and i'm in

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

add the Hot Couch and i'm in
https://twitter.com/kennethlogins/status/1265334869388918784?s=21

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Broken Machine posted:

also you can't just buy your weed and leave. you gotta "hang out for a bit and chill so the neighbors don't get suspicious" even though you were the ninth distinct car that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nice ratio dork