Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

afghanistan is a country where a majority of the population wants a nice stable modern democracy, but an entrenched minority who have achieved generations of power and fortune through exploitation (of the poor, of ethnic minorities, and of women) and control of resources are really not interested in that happening, and so a nice stable democracy is not going to take hold until literally every one of these exploiters is dead and their wealth distributed fairly among the rest of the nation.

hm.

the 51st state!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/janecoaston/status/1481710820946026500?s=20

I swear to god, if loving Mississippi legalizes weed before the feds do...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

afghanistan is a country where a majority of the population wants a nice stable modern democracy, but an entrenched minority who have achieved generations of power and fortune through exploitation (of the poor, of ethnic minorities, and of women) and control of resources are really not interested in that happening, and so a nice stable democracy is not going to take hold until literally every one of these exploiters is dead and their wealth distributed fairly among the rest of the nation.

hm.

gee good thing we prioritized keeping these people in power to help us fight the taliban, who remained a viable alternative to sex slaver warlords thanks to the atrocities they [aided by Are Troops] kept committing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

seriously

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

given that it generally wasn't a question of 'if', but 'when' the afghanistan government would fall, they should have had a contingency plan for getting people who's lives were directly at risk due to working with us forces out instead of the mess at the airport or leaving them to fend for themselves and try to run to uzbekistan, turkmenistan or tajikistan.

even years ago, the process for getting interpreters out was a long and convoluted one that left many people facing uncertainty and death for themselves and/or their families.

oh yeah, should have had these people desperate not to ever leave draw up a plausible-sounding exit strategy and it'd all have been fine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

maybe they’ll use prison unicor labor to farm the legal weed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

is that real weed?

isn't it a crime to bring illegal drugs into a government building?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/1481709616241291264

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

is that real weed?

isn't it a crime to bring illegal drugs into a government building?

when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtlkyBk6rcc

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

*dusting off hands* well, that's that. time to get ready for 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They're gonna find some way to throw out any and all vaccine requirements, just wait and see.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I can't wait to suffer and die from a myriad of diseases long thought extinct

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

irrelevant. didn't you get the memo? the curve has been flattened, covid is over

a vertical line is technically flat :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They're gonna find some way to throw out any and all vaccine requirements, just wait and see.
That might be tough since the SCOTUS specifically did not quash state mandates, employer mandates, and upheld the medical worker national mandate

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Anyway abolish the supreme court

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

akadajet posted:

maybe they’ll use prison unicor labor to farm the legal weed

and every prison slave gets an automatic sentence extension every day for handling contraband :patriot:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i hate narrow split rulings like this because i keep looking for some critical underlying legal argument but in reality it's just a purely utilitarian decision cynically designed to be the most beneficial and supplicant to capital. why can't the regulatory agency created and mandated with protecting worker safety keep workers safe by protecting them from the deadly airborne respiratory virus that is often spread in workplaces? they said because it isn't related to the job, but neither are slips and falls or a variety of other things that OSHA is allowed to regulate? oh right yeah it doesn't make sense, it wasn't meant to.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The entire point is to prevent any government regulation

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

That might be tough since the SCOTUS specifically did not quash state mandates, employer mandates, and upheld the medical worker national mandate

The Supreme Court doesn't have to be consistent at all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In a 5-4 ruling, the constitution doesn't literally contain the words "COVID-19" so the federal government is not allowed to do anything about it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the Supreme Court is gonna keep hanging poo poo on incredibly dodgy rationale until someone in congress is interested in actually governing. thank god neither party wants to do that!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah I don't see how it was going to go any other way.

We now put them on heavy sanctions and have denied their governments funds rightfully owned by them abroad. So now millions are going to die from a completely preventable famine.

https://theintercept.com/2022/01/09/afghanistan-sanctions-human-rights-hawks/

yeah, we are now intentionally causing a famine that has left 23 million people without enough food.

if this is the best foreign policy in your lifetime, it’s no wonder so many people don’t vote

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sagebrush posted:

hm.

if anyone cares, this is a wildly inaccurate summary of afghan history and politics

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

president Biden, my country yearns to vote. please send diebold BDRs and your most corrupt lobbyists

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/MPHProject/status/1481710850151002120

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1481800985936867328?s=20

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jen psaki loving hates you and is sick of your loving questions

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

me specifically?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
specifically, you, yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i loving hate smug mom so much

i would rather have khayleigh mcenanneneyeheheh back as spox

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I wonder when she's finally going to snap at someone. she seems to get more and more snippy every week

of course, that's probably par for the course when it's your job to constantly reiterate the everything is fine well past the point where the fire is consuming the room and everyone in it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The_Franz posted:

everything is fine well past the point where the fire is consuming the room and everyone in it

lol everyone in that room is rich as hell and totally unaffected

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
honestly at this rate i sort of wonder when we're gonna start getting more states openly defying scotus

like what are they good for anymore i swear to god

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mediaphage posted:

honestly at this rate i sort of wonder when we're gonna start getting more states openly defying scotus

lol, centrist liberals defying scotus. you're aren't allowed to do that, it says so in the rule book right here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

like what are they good for anymore i swear to god

it's the mega rich and the people in poverty, if you're not either it's going to be a difficult time

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
liberal class consciousness lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
american right wing has proved that they have solid convictions and are willing to act on those convictions. american liberals always fail because they're cowards and can't even be reactionary

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

american right wing has proved that they have solid convictions and are willing to act on those convictions. american liberals always fail because they're cowards and can't even be reactionary

yup

walter's "say what you will about the nazis, at least they had an ethos" line is more true now than ever

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
there is no american "left wing", they've stomped it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

walter's "say what you will about the nazis, at least they had an ethos" line is more true now than ever

the american left is a loving joke