Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ADINSX posted:

Its cliche but if your philosophy is "I'd never shoot someone, its just for my safety" then its not actually making you safe, you have to be willing to use it.

it is mind-boggling that someone would carry a firearm while thinking they would never pull the trigger. that's such a liability. like, gently caress, people get mugged for pistols. also, isn't drawing a weapon, with the intent of threatening the other person by display of the firearm, a whole separate crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it is mind-boggling that someone would carry a firearm while thinking they would never pull the trigger. that's such a liability. like, gently caress, people get mugged for pistols. also, isn't drawing a weapon, with the intent of threatening the other person by display of the firearm, a whole separate crime?

yeah, 'brandishing'

it's a very bad idea for many reasons

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Slippery Tilde

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i know little about guns so when you say "bolt gun" i think of the absolute shortest range possible, the kind they kill cows with

if it's good enough for the adeptus arbites it's good enough for me

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/ElliotJarrous/status/1462120902590611456

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
also lol

https://twitter.com/lastpositivist/status/1462182192541581312

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATb7CXX-Kc0

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRuqaqTAW30

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rkn-xqhSDc

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQCps7-tyUM

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ip6PYb8iU

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss8m3F3Wan0

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
trade is totally cut off from the west, I'm gonna be eating nothing but rice and potatoes for awhile

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
good thing I didn't order anything from AliX lately

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

they’re supposedly getting one lane of one highway out of three routes through BC back up and running “soon”

though the transcanada is still hosed and that’s the only highway with any capacity that leaves Vancouver so rip

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

though the transcanada is still hosed and that’s the only highway with any capacity that leaves Vancouver so rip

we need that poo poo from vancouver to edmonton so rip lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm broke as gently caress because UCP deindexed aish so my disability payments dont keep up with inflation so it's not like I could buy anything anyway

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

they apparently have reopened the crowsnest highway now, so in theory shipping companies could take the long road to the crowsnest by taking the bridge over the fraser to maple ridge and riding the lougheed highway out to hope, but some of that road is fuckin ooooold and cuts down to a two lane road for most of that stretch so nothing's gonna get through in a timely manner

that however leaves you on the fuckin crowsnest which means your first sign of civilization after crossing the rockies is going to be lethbridge so you are WAY in the gently caress of nowhere

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

they apparently have reopened the crowsnest highway now, so in theory shipping companies could take the long road to the crowsnest by taking the bridge over the fraser to maple ridge and riding the lougheed highway out to hope, but some of that road is fuckin ooooold and cuts down to a two lane road for most of that stretch so nothing's gonna get through in a timely manner

that however leaves you on the fuckin crowsnest which means your first sign of civilization after crossing the rockies is going to be lethbridge so you are WAY in the gently caress of nowhere

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/45-edmonton-soldiers-off-to-b-c-to-aid-in-flood-repairs-1.6257148

the 45 soldiers who can afford to gently caress off lmao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you can also run them over with your car as long as you don’t spend the weeks prior posting memes about running people over with your car

pro tip: this works outside of protest/riot situations as well! :eng101:

it owns how turning someone into paste because you couldn't tear your attention away from candy crush is just an oopsy whoopsy try not to do it again in america (assuming you're white and driving an expensive enough car)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol the ephebophile defense in action

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my dad keeps asking me to explain the chip shortage to him and when i do he shakes his head and says he doesn't buy it. 'there has to be more than this than that' he says. like, the idea that such a thing is even possible and companies can't just magic wand a fix seems impossible to him. this has been the third time in six months he's brought this up and has had the same response each time.

is there some sort of conspiracy theory floating around about THE REAL REASON THEY WON'T TELL YOU because it really feels like he has some other explanation but isn't willing to say what it is. oh he's also blaming the la port backup on unions and not, you know, *gestures at everything falling apart everywhere*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my dad keeps asking me to explain the chip shortage to him and when i do he shakes his head and says he doesn't buy it. 'there has to be more than this than that' he says. like, the idea that such a thing is even possible and companies can't just magic wand a fix seems impossible to him. this has been the third time in six months he's brought this up and has had the same response each time.

is there some sort of conspiracy theory floating around about THE REAL REASON THEY WON'T TELL YOU because it really feels like he has some other explanation but isn't willing to say what it is. oh he's also blaming the la port backup on unions and not, you know, *gestures at everything falling apart everywhere*

The chips are all going into the vaccines, duh

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I keep up (-ish) with looney tunes theories and I haven't heard anything specifically with this. People are keen to blame Biden but that's about it.

At a higher level though there's generally a lot of denial about the impacts of covid (because it's just like the flu right?). So pure conjecture, it's not hard to imagine that extending to supply chain issues, and I think most lay people don't really critically comprehend the complexities of international supply chains anyways.

To look at it another way, acknowledging how much covid hosed up the supply chain worse than anything else since, like, World War 2 requires that you acknowledge just how bad the virus is.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I'm honestly surprised we don't constantly have shortages. The entire idea behind a global distributed supply chain that manufactures everything "just in time" is that every part can be made at the lowest possible cost, exactly when you need it (so nothing is sitting there on a shelf depreciating, etc)

The only downside being if anything happens anywhere in the world for any reason, poo poo gets complicated.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

there's probably some element of the standard right wing inoculation against the idea that capitalism can ever fail. usually of the "capitalism and competition are good so the only reason the existing players haven't fixed this or a new upstart has undercut them is because of government regulatino" etc etc

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

carry on then posted:

there's probably some element of the standard right wing inoculation against the idea that capitalism can ever fail. usually of the "capitalism and competition are good so the only reason the existing players haven't fixed this or a new upstart has undercut them is because of government regulatino" etc etc

Its not even an anti-capitalism argument to say global supply chains and just in time manufacturing is bad, you could argue that the increased cost of keeping things local and having more parts in stock can act as a buffer for when things go wrong, and in the long run it results in more money for the business.

But that doesn't make for good quarterly numbers so in that sense, I guess it is an anti-capitalism argument.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

did you tell him that Intel has stagnated for some time, AMD spin off GF and then they gave up leaving Taiwan as the only producer of the most advanced silicon in the world?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

for chips at least it’s “Taiwan won” which isn’t anti capitalist at all, it’s a problem for nationalism though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i think most people dont realize the amount of time and money it takes to make a new chip fab. its not like making a car where you just slam some parts together and call it good, you're trying to make things at a microscopic level and that requires machines and factories that take a ton of time to both manufacture and configure.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i haven't been keeping track but is a lot of it relating to a drought in taiwan? or did i misread the climate thread

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ADINSX posted:

Its not even an anti-capitalism argument to say global supply chains and just in time manufacturing is bad, you could argue that the increased cost of keeping things local and having more parts in stock can act as a buffer for when things go wrong, and in the long run it results in more money for the business.

But that doesn't make for good quarterly numbers so in that sense, I guess it is an anti-capitalism argument.

yeah your last sentence is the reality, capitalism is entirely incapable of long term planning. if a business keeps parts in stock to act as a buffer if things go wrong then they will need to charge more for their goods in the short term than their competitor or be less profitable and only the most profitable businesses survive. if everyone is doing JiT logistics then none of the businesses are ever even negatively effected by shortages, only their customers are. it’s not like they have anywhere else to go, so there isn’t any lost income in relation to anyone else. if the shortage is societally destabilizing then the government will burden the cost, which is happening right now with the National guard doing logistics.

capitalism is the root of nearly all problems

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also wrt automakers specifically they hosed themselves by canceling reserved chip capacity. they were assuming they could start it back up at any time but that's not how it works with current chip demand.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shaggar posted:

also wrt automakers specifically they hosed themselves by canceling reserved chip capacity. they were assuming they could start it back up at any time but that's not how it works with current chip demand.

yeah i keep trying to explain this and everything else
mentioned itt but he shakes his head all, ‘no that can’t be that would be dumb and they’d lose money!’ and it’s just…. yeah?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the biggest factor in most of the shortages isn't even supply-chain problems; it's just that demand for everything spiked way up in 2020 and it takes time to ramp up production to match

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ADINSX posted:

that would be a bad argument. look around you, there used to be more local stores and regional chains within your lifetime and theyve mostly been destroyed if they didnt keep up with new stuff like jit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/JabariBrisport/status/1462292945407811591

weird