Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/wxandnews/status/1462562235344199688?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i keep trying to explain this and everything else
mentioned itt but he shakes his head all, ‘no that can’t be that would be dumb and they’d lose money!’ and it’s just…. yeah?

its actually easy to understand because its how they'd been used to treating all of their suppliers. for the most part it works fine cause the suppliers dont really have anyone else to sell to, but chip makers are different as they can sell to pretty much an endless demand.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

it's really too bad that pointing out hypocrisy doesn't actually do anything. i wish at the very least it would stop people from treating hypocrites with respect like they are acting in good faith, but it doesn't even do that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ban cars

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

outlaw conservatives now

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
like I vaguely understand why WI/MN has become a flashpoint for the culture cold wars heating up but it still feels weird

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

can’t even call this a war. wars require at least two active participants. this has one side with all the force and the other side has all the casualties

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Kazinsal posted:

can’t even call this a war. wars require at least two active participants. this has one side with all the force and the other side has all the casualties

think of all the broken Starbucks windows though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kitten emergency posted:

think of all the broken Starbucks windows though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

be the change you seek

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gonna be reeeeeeeaaaaaalll interesting to see how the driver of that red suv shakes out.

is this someone emboldened by the rittenhouse outcome? someone pissed about it? (Waukesha is by faaar the biggest red county in Wisconsin and contains most of wisconsins wealthy shitlords)? or some random act of insanity?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

gonna be reeeeeeeaaaaaalll interesting to see how the driver of that red suv shakes out.

is this someone emboldened by the rittenhouse outcome? someone pissed about it? (Waukesha is by faaar the biggest red county in Wisconsin and contains most of wisconsins wealthy shitlords)? or some random act of insanity?

And the nazis are already out throwing out disinformation.

https://twitter.com/GlobalnewsW/status/1462582662443552768?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it sounds possible that the only fatalities were from people shot by cops who were firing at the truck

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

for chips at least it’s “Taiwan won” which isn’t anti capitalist at all, it’s a problem for nationalism though

i believe the phrase is "taiwan #1"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

government regulatino

mama mia

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stereotype posted:

it sounds possible that the only fatalities were from people shot by cops who were firing at the truck

nonsense. the guy straight up ran over kids in the videos posted

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sc8VqvGdSk

apparently it’s this guy, and he was out on parole. right wing media is having a field day

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

akadajet posted:

nonsense. the guy straight up ran over kids in the videos posted

yeah it now sounds like no one got shot? pretty hosed up and it being in Kenosha is probably not a coincidence.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
those videos are hosed up, especially the one from the roof when he hits that girls pom pom group. an ex of mine was run over by a truck on her bike when I was in undergrad and nearly died, and this dude definitely ran some of them over.

it’s weird though, the 2016 attack in Nice France was way way worse. it really looked like the dude was avoiding most people, he even swerved to the side of the group of girls, and just buzzed most of the other groups. I’d think a terrorist attack would be aiming for as high a body count as possible. dude in Nice killed nearly a hundred people and injured 500 more. so far in Wisconsin it’s more like 5 dead and 30 injured.

guess everyone sort of got complacent with regards to vehicle attack security too. bet we’ll see a bigger focus on that for a few years now.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Having performed in a drumline in several parades that sequence of events is extremely hosed up and most of the brass got taken down in that marching band. :rip:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I legit am curious why it wasn’t worse though and I’m entirely expecting to never find out. did he lose his nerve? did he want to send a message but not really want to kill people? was he just delirious or hallucinating? that could have been so, so much worse. if it’s intentional he has to know he is forfeiting his life regardless of how many deaths he causes, so it isn’t self preservation. glad the cops didn’t just execute him on the spot.

the fact that there aren’t more stochastic vehicular terrorist attacks, which have a frighteningly low barrier to entry and constant completely exposed targets of opportunity, really is sort of uplifting though. it shows that a vanishingly small number of people want to do mass murders, because if you do want to do one it’s trivial to rent a uhaul and do it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Stereotype posted:

I legit am curious why it wasn’t worse though and I’m entirely expecting to never find out. did he lose his nerve? did he want to send a message but not really want to kill people? was he just delirious or hallucinating? that could have been so, so much worse. if it’s intentional he has to know he is forfeiting his life regardless of how many deaths he causes, so it isn’t self preservation. glad the cops didn’t just execute him on the spot.

the fact that there aren’t more stochastic vehicular terrorist attacks, which have a frighteningly low barrier to entry and constant completely exposed targets of opportunity, really is sort of uplifting though. it shows that a vanishingly small number of people want to do mass murders, because if you do want to do one it’s trivial to rent a uhaul and do it.

i saw something saying he was fleeing from something else, maybe in a car chase from the cops already or something?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
reminds me a bit of the dude who drove a car thru the sxsw crowd 5 or 6 years ago. can’t really assume motivation before the facts come out. people were speculating endlessly about the sxsw dude’s motivation and in the end it turned out he was just high as balls and panicked.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

dude in nice was also driving a gigantic fuckin cargo truck. a suv is big but it ain't gonna do that kinda damage even if they're tryin to

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Oneiros posted:

dude in nice was also driving a gigantic fuckin cargo truck. a suv is big but it ain't gonna do that kinda damage even if they're tryin to

it wasn’t that big, just a big empty urban delivery truck. It weighed 7.5 tons compared to an SUV that weighs 2-3 tons. in the end the failure mode would likely be the same: it overheats after the radiator gets smashed or the tires get shredded. or you get boxed in. you can do plenty of damage with an suv.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it was also designed to haul twice that mass. with that and better ground clearance and what not you're just gonna be able to do more damage with a big truck. not saying you can't also do horrendous damage with a suv or even a "subcompact" but yeah the heavier more robust vehicle plowing into a crowd doing more damage isn't surprising

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We'll find out I imagine but the perp could've just been drunk or hosed up. Not like that hasn't happened before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stereotype posted:

its this:

fart simpson posted:

i saw something saying he was fleeing from something else, maybe in a car chase from the cops already or something?

dude was being chased by police as he fled another incident scene. police were shooting at his vehicle from behind, so of course he's fleeing for his life. he wasn't trying to drive into a parade. he was trying to not get murdered by police.

what he did is still heinous and he'll be charged with felony murder for the loss of life and agg assault for everyone else. the police will get more money for training rather than not pursuing feeling suspects in dangerous was.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
police chases usually end up in tragedy and the cops never take responsibility for creating the dangerous situation. in Honolulu they caused a crash and then loving left and pretended like they didn’t do it.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/10/new-video-allegedly-shows-honolulu-police-leaving-scene-of-makaha-crash/

in another situation a pickup truck rolled over taking a turn at high speed and killed three pedestrians on a sidewalk. the cops also said they weren’t chasing that dude at first either, but they were.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/10/honolulu-to-pay-10-million-to-family-of-man-killed-by-driver-fleeing-police/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

its this:

dude was being chased by police as he fled another incident scene. police were shooting at his vehicle from behind, so of course he's fleeing for his life. he wasn't trying to drive into a parade. he was trying to not get murdered by police.

what he did is still heinous and he'll be charged with felony murder for the loss of life and agg assault for everyone else. the police will get more money for training rather than not pursuing feeling suspects in dangerous was.

and the chuds will still have a “dangerous black man” to hold up as an example of justifying their bullshit.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol if you wouldn’t do the same thing

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr. Nice! posted:

its this:

yeah this is basically what happened in the sxsw thing. the truck in nice that mowed down 100+ people was someone actually trying to kill people along a pedestrian boardwalk, with a bigger truck so it was a lot worse.

this and the sxsw thing are both just normal guys (who are probably intoxicated) running from the cops and driving thru a crowd for a block or two of a blocked off street, in a normal sized car/suv, as a result of that chase. both of those incidents killed 4-5 people and injured 20-30.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wait, it's not Sunday morning

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/connal99/status/1462786788200792064

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is not lost on me that that...incident...took place on a street full of designer boutiques

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

these people singing the praises of netzero don't remember how bad it was

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't have an issue with nuclear power being a baseline because it's so expensive it basically requires nationalization to work at all. Cost for a new modern nuclear reactor starts at $1 billion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fabricated posted:

I don't have an issue with nuclear power being a baseline because it's so expensive it basically requires nationalization to work at all. Cost for a new modern nuclear reactor starts at $1 billion.

just put it on my tab, i think it’s worth it