Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

so he's old and obese. any other comorbidities?

heavy Adderall addiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

President Beep posted:

it’s like when trump had that scaramucci guy on his team that looked like the one bit character from futurama.

and then The Mooch quit not long after joining

because Team Trump was too corrupt and incompetent for a wannabe mobster whose nickname is “The Mooch”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

our landlord is selling our place b/c of covid and now i can't sleep, ugh

we have options (hell, we might even buy it if they don't ask for too much) but still loving sucks we may end up having to move. at least if we do we get a free month's rent though.

it brings me peace that trump is having a much worse night than i am though :unsmigghh:

why would you have to move if your landlord sells, do you not have strong tenant protections where you live?

also you could always negotiate with your landlord to buy the property, you might be able to do something like take over their mortgage

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

as if they won’t just keep pumping more in

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Evangelicals didn't even give a gently caress about abortion until some political strategist types figured out they could replace segregation with it as a wedge issue in the eighties.

and that they could potentially get a larger portion of the Catholic vote too that way

fortunately for them, Catholic voters continue to almost perfectly reflect the larger American electorate, they didn’t all go to one side because abortion

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the reason you are seeing such hateful poo poo from the Republican Party is because their time is limited demographically and they know it.

i wish we had someone better than Biden but for this election the choice is between a bad milquetoast candidate and donald trump and given that choice I’m definitely voting for the milquetoast.

yeah, the Republicans are seriously worried that they may never hold this degree of power again, so they’re pulling out all the stops

assuming that we’ll wind up with an awful fascist as the Republican nominee in 2024 isn’t a stretch, but assuming it’s a foregone conclusion that they’ll win definitely is

for example, this could be the election that turns the right statehouse that puts the interstate electoral vote compact in effect—and a turned Senate could result in a favorable court when it’s inevitably tested

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you know ireland has autonomy right

not all of it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

they shot a mural of a black face. they shot it because it's black. they're not going to shoot you, for all they know you're a fellow god-fearing trump-voting white supremacist just like them. i mean if you show up at their protest wearing blm cycling kit that might be different

Tori lives in a Latinx neighborhood and if the CHUDs decide to do a Rwanda they aren’t even going to think about distinguishing among its fairer and darker skinned residents, unless a given lighter-skinned one happens to also be wearing boogaloo, proud boy, or confederate livery

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hmm wonder if they’re psyching themselves up for Rwanda-style violence on Election Day

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

im sure biden's theoretical picks will be scrutinized and we'll make sure that unlike ACB, they've actually worked as a judge more than 3 years prior to their scotus appointment. There's absolutely no way they'll fast track garbage centrists that hmm about roe v wade and the legitimacy of black people voting in a continuation of their idiot tack of 'trying to appeal to the right wing'. nope. no chance

that’s still fuckin better than another ACB

you can’t win the battle you refuse to fight

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

joe will be 0% less susceptible to the wormtongue ear of a garbage cabinet than trump. he'll """""" pick """"" from the same loving pool.

no he won’t

he’s still entirely susceptible to the wormtongue and he won’t be picking poo poo himself

but he will most certainly be picking from a different loving pool

I’m not happy about the garbage centrists that he’ll pick but I’d be ecstatic for them not to be federalist society recommended theocrats

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Last night the big wet prez endorsed the fleet of trucks that tried to force the Biden bus off the road in Texas

Wonder what the plan was after they forced the bus off the road

I’m sure they planned to have a reasoned discussion of economic policy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I miss watching NHK World on OTA tv. one of the local public tv affiliates carries it on a subcarrier. It's so wonderful and chill.

lets stroll through a cherry tree orchard
here's five minutes of inoffensive news and a cool world weather map
now it's time to go watch an 87 year old man handcraft some pottery

thanks for the reminder that I have their app on Apple TV

they also have an iOS app for your “let’s stroll through picturesque Mishima, isn’t it neat how these houses’ kitchens are open to the steam?” needs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

not worth it friendo

PokeJoe posted:

smokevape weed instead

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I'd say there's at least 50% chance Biden dies in office, and president copmala is, despite all her flaws, at least a youngish lady. That appeals to more people than ancient white man.

Anyway it's stupid to litigate stuff 4 years from now. You cross that bridge when you get to it. In the meantime, work on your local causes

you have to start litigating it now to have an effect at the national level four years from now

the most effective way of doing so is to take over the local parties and drag them kicking and screaming to the left

the squad was successful in doing so and successfully re-elected, despite the party working hard to ratfuck them in the primary and the right trying to outspend them in the general

now we need to do this to evil shits like Diane Feinstein in the Senate

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

dude was real mad about a rack full of NUCs

i won’t lie, those racks of NUCs doing video encoding and serving that were behind some sort of multiple levels of proxy set off alarm bells for me too, they definitely looked shady as all gently caress

I just figured they were some sort of streaming system of arguable-in-court legality (i.e. “every customer technically rents their own piece of hardware including ATSC receiver so it’s technically legal for them to stream the data from it”) rather than anything Epstein-adjacent

maybe nbsd should’ve asked a few questions or gamed out a couple scenarios before doubling down on his assumptions

though we should also remember that “nobody would be so stupid as to post _____” is never a valid assumption

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

okay maybe I like Biden now

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

now is cornwall’s time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the point of these lawsuits isn't to get anything accomplished. they're just milking their rube followers for more money. it's literally the only game trump knows

they’re also hoping to get a state to direct its electors to Trump despite the vote tallies because the votes “aren’t trustworthy”

and if they don’t win that way, they hope to send the election to the House, where each state will only get one vote

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

HangOverDeMayo posted:

would the republicans try getting state legislatures to change the electoral votes or would they wait on another candidate?

they’re working on this in parallel with all the other disenfranchisement

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

that chucklefuck isn’t going to actually fund apartments for the homeless or any poo poo like that so seize his funds and use them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Stringent posted:

correct me if i'm wrong, but bottom up revolutions of the proletariat specifically directed at the ultra wealthy and succeeding in toppling them, if only for a while, is a relatively recent development?

if “recent” is a few hundred years

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I'm not into anime at all but Akira is a cross-cultural treasure (that I am watching currently, thanks Hulu) and anyone who gives a gently caress about film should watch it regardless of their biases.

It's absolutely stunning.

I’d put Satoshi Kon’s body of work up there too, along with the original “Ghost in the Shell” and “Megazone 23” (which was what Hollywood would copy from before GitS and Akira; the Wachowskis copied from all)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

President Beep posted:

lmao. imagine if he uses that to issue a nationwide alert about election fraud

I worry about once an hour he’ll do just that and tell his followers to start killing people

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

... postbusters?

ghost ride the whip (forum)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

trump got even more votes than he did 4 years ago. the gop establishment are terrified of him and the base he commands, as evidenced by their refusal to declare biden the winner even when he obviously is. republicans are supposed to be about conservative values. what conservative values has trump EVER exhibited? yet they love him unconditionally. trumpism has taken over the gop in a way that the tea party movement perhaps suggested but never truly predicted. it took a trump to make trumpism. but now it's out there, and it's not going away, because HE refuses to go away, and his followers aren't going anywhere either (except maybe the covid ward)

this is probably why Koch is trying to rehab his image and profess to be more liberal (surprise: he’s not)

with Trump involved Koch and co can’t control either the message or the agenda

so now they’re trying to pivot to the Democrats

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

qirex posted:

democrats are literally more concerned about what republicans say about them than their constituents

what are they going to do, vote R?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

new zealand also implemented strong measures to keep it out, only difference being they were able to stop it at the border mostly, instead of quashing a local outbreak. i would hesitate to call those measures authoritarianism,

that doesn’t stop conservatives in the US and elsewhere from doing exactly that

they literally say NZ is suffering under tyranny and needs to be “liberated”

I suspect it’s only being a white English speaker that’s kept the PM from being assassinated by the CIA (because that’s only done to Others)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the messaging out of the Trump camp is that they need to “match signatures” as if the votes are all directly tied to individuals and can be matched

I don’t know about Georgia but I know that in some states they’re intentionally not tied together; a signature match is used to validate a vote, and then that vote goes into the pool

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I’ve been pooping a lot while hiding out.

:same:

glad we stocked up during the interregnum

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

bump_fn posted:

tito ran a pretty tight ship

this is what a friend who grew up in Montenegro says

Tito kept everyone in check and promoted an idea of Greater Yugoslavia that a lot of people bought into

then when things were going to poo poo economically, Slobodan Milošević and others started selling this idea that well actually Serbs were being oppressed by everyone else and should rule over the other groups

sound familiar?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Fabricated posted:

South Park reflected culture at the time IMO rather than driving it

the meme was out there but South Park gave it massive reinforcement when it really didn’t need it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's strange how I'm a weird rear end in a top hat that wears satanic metal shirts and I'm nicer than any christian. I really don't like to toot my own horn but I mean gently caress

this has generally been my experience with non-LaVeyan Satanistists

LaVeyan Satanists are just Randroid anti-Catholics

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

barkbell posted:

the food I can get here is the reason I’m slow to leave omaha

this sounds like a statement that’s never before been uttered

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

trump has backed into doing a thing or two that is positive and i am almost sure is entirely by accident

the ones he did on purpose he did for the wrong reasons

like he pulled out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which was good, but he did so because of xenophobia rather than because of the bad process during negotiations (giving giant companies a seat at the table but making everything else secret) or the specific bad changes to the law that would have resulted from TPP, such as criminal penalties for DRM circumvention and trade secret disclosure (which some people worried could have been a potential Constitutional end-run around California’s blanket prohibition on non-compete agreements)

basically “China bad” is the worst reason to oppose TPP but that’s why Trump pulled out

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I have to share this or I might die and this was the only place I could think of.

Last night my boss sent out a page to every person on the team at 9pm. There was no issue, but he "wanted to test our readiness and see how long each person took to check-in".

well someone just watched a NXIVM documentary

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doc Block posted:

i don't think it's a generational thing, though, because my boomer stepfather also had it etched into his mind that it was some Herculean task, and so even from a young age he had an accountant do it. "i don't wanna get reamed out by the IRS :argh:" etc etc etc

“taxes are bad and hard and complicated” is a meme that was systematically developed by right wing think tanks, focus-grouped on self-identified libertarians, and then rolled out to the larger public using fairly sophisticated marketing and advertising techniques (aka propaganda)

it was etched onto his mind intentionally, in order to justify lowering taxes (because taxes bad and hard and complicated) on the rich (which you too will be someday)

like, it it was literally manufactured to benefit the specific group of wealthy individuals and institutions that supported its development, because over decades it could enable them to amass even more billions, and gently caress those uppity commoners

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 5, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

goon face-blindness strikes again

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

they're already calling for trump to sign an EO stating that he won

wouldn’t surprise me if he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

a confederation, you might say