Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

it's a catholic book store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol we talk about this periodically like how much of my useful brain space is wasted by knowing all of the transformers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my son’s name is also bort (or insert other name here) gets a lot of play in our house, as does the malk/vitamin r/ why are my bones so brittle

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

this dude has such a captive market too. i know of a lot of people that used to cook, but for the past six months all they do is talk about the poo poo they got delivered for lunch today, and then a different delivery for dinner later. they're spending a hundred dollars a day on postmates because they are too weak to say "Sorry boss, it's 6pm, i need to log off and throw a steak on. See you in the morning!"

this still blows my mind. we’ve ordered two pizzas (for my so) since the pandemic started and that’s the sum total of meals i haven’t cooked in that time.

in re ghost kitchens i get so pissed off at that poo poo. it’s dangerous and undercuts and undervalues food by people doing it right because they’re not paying for insurance or permits or commercial space.

i don’t care if someone is selling cookies under the table that’s fine, but meats? whole meals? no fuckin’ way am i eating that poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also some drag queens opened up a food service here and i clicked on the instagram ad because why not and they want $125 for two meals and two desserts. lol what.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i found a local farm that got into deliveries plus distro for other local farms and it’s been great. all our produce is now grown about 45 minutes away and gets delivered every friday. haven’t found a good source for greek yog yet so i still go to the store periodically for that. looking forward to ordering another side of beef in feb.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

basically just don’t buy knife block kits.

my fav cheapo is the victorinox plastic handled ones.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This was the deciding factor in my picking my current apartment over another place.

I need a block because my cats are morons and constantly paw at my knives if they're left out on the drying mat.

i didn’t say not to buy a knife block, i said not to buy a knife block kit

anyway normal knife blocks actually do suck tho i prefer a thing that fits inside a drawer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

gonna follow beep to planet of the hummus

while a tasty location i feel like they'd probably end up on the planet of the grapes instead

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

barkbell posted:

dont buy sets of anything, knives, pots and pans, office software

i only buy my computers in sets

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

yeah you can easily spend an entire day basically cooking, cleaning up after cooking, and taking very short breaks in between doing it all again

this is true, however, if you have a good full day once a month, it's honestly very easy to prep food and produce and meals to basically last an entire month with very little further effort / mess.

not that i'm against vegetables or anything, i eat ridiculous amounts of greens, etc. but it's way easier to incorporate that sort of stuff into your diet if you don't have to wash and chop and prep them at every meal.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bump_fn posted:

the goon dietary version of "i'm not racist, but"

lol

i mostly phrased it like that because a lot of goons have terrible diets. i eat like a pound of vegetables a day at least.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

if you really know what you’re doing and/or have the right supplies, very yes

if you’re a normie in resources/knowledge then every sunday is a little easier for most people to swing. my parents (of no great culinary ability and living in the armpit of Canada) did it 40 years ago

know what you’re doing, maybe. but even outside of enthusiast cookery once a month cooking (“oamc”) has been a huge trend in recent years among very normal people. tons of blogs and groups and pinterests etc dedicated to it.

i’d argue it’s only worthwhile if you own a standalone freezer tho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

goonx

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a great resource might be the thread in minority rapport

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813960&perpage=40&noseen=1

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

my diet isn’t terrible it just serves a different purpose

an early grave

what’s the storage like for this? i realised carrots were getting flaccid until i kept them inside plastic bag

also what’s wrong with freeze dried i suppose you don’t want to boil everything lol

for most things, you can roll your prepped veg in a paper towel, then a plastic bag or sealed container. the container keeps moisture high, the towel prevents it from condensing as much on the surface of the veg and getting slimy.

you can also just keep root vegetables buried in sand for a while.

freeze dried is great, especially for vegetables
you plan to cook! it’s just expensive as gently caress for the quantity if you don’t buy a $2k consumer freeze dryer that is by all reports a bit finicky.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i often prep a few dozen things over one weekend. if you think it means you have to eat 30 days worth of the same food, you’re suffering from a lack of imagination. i mean, you can, but you don’t have to.

over one weekend i might do up a batch of lentils, a batch of chickpeas, a batch of chili. a few batches of bread dough (you only need two kinds, from which you can make basically all bread things) and bag it by halves. wash and chop veg and package it in the fridge. cook some chicken, beef, and sausages in the water bath and keep them in the fridge. i make a ton of sauces and freeze or fridge them, depending. flatbreads i go ahead and at least parbake. cookie dough gets scooped and frozen on a sheet pan, then bagged so you can bake individually. the same with biscuits or scones.

then if i’m tired or under the weather it’s super easy to just pull, heat, and eat. like a tv dinner only it’s actually high quality and you can mix and match. during the week i can just pull a couple of the proteins from the fridge and grill or pan fry or roast off, add a side from the fridge or freezer, instant pot some rice or toast some bread. meal comes together in ten minutes.

where there’s not a pandemic i might do a weeks worth of meals so that me or my so can just grab and eat since we might be eating on different schedules or need to take a lunch.

it’s not always about cooking a bunch of the same thing; it can be about doing the vast majority of the work so that a nice meal takes little or no effort later on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

the lovely little town i come from had a largely volunteer fire department that was full of human blobs. it was just a way to get a cool lightbar on your pickup truck.

i'm sure there are a lot like that but tbh i can't judge a volunteer fire service; we had one where i grew up and they may not have been in the same shape as pro firefighters but they did a gently caress ton of good, dangerous work

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol is it a UK 90s thing only that weed was always smoked with rolling baccy*? The supply here in the North was meagre at best, folks would hold a 16th oz of crumbly resin and be happy with it, crushed up a bit at a time into a rolled ciggy. I was never interested in smoking up but used to hang with a bunch of guys who lived for it and it seemed like a pitiful vice.

*yes I know about hollowed-out 'blunts' in the US

not just uk but much more common in europe than north america, blunts aside. i think this was mostly due to price and scarcity; when i went to school in france i never knew anyone that smoked only weed; it was always a mix

whereas it's much, much more available in north america and consequently cheaper, even before the sudden rush to undo prohibition

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Yeah I'm Dutch and can confirm that we roll our joints with tobacco. Only an absolute mad person would roll a straight one, the weed is far too strong.

it tastes so much better tho just roll a pinner

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

spankmeister posted:

You guys take that poo poo wayyyy to serious you know that right.

in yospos??!? well i can’t believe it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they're worth a read. if you don't want to read and you can afford it, make a donation to somebody that helps the less fortunate. this poo poo should radicalize you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was at a LAN party when it was announced. everyone cheered when i broke the news and a huge weight was lifted in general

landemic

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Facts and logic in the conservative marketplace of ideas

i mean he rubber stamped a fuckton of judicial appointments which cons care way more about than democrats (regrettably)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’d already mostly completed my weight loss journey before covid hit thankfully though i could stand to lose another ten pounds. that said we found an awesome local farm delivery service and it’s been easier than ever to eat well with all the fresh local greens and veg we’ve been getting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

flea markets here used to be really good a couple of decades ago but have been really bad the last 10 years. just all the same vendors selling exactly the same re-packaged harbor freight / alibaba poo poo between each one. very few selling actual antiques or anything anymore. and when there are, they want like 300% markup over even ebay pricing because antique roadshow and american pickers has told everyone their granny trinket clown poo poo is worth $5000

agree, i loved the flea market as a kid; now i satisfy that by looking at auctions which these days are all online. the actual flea markets are filled with total trashq

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

clarence thomas spoke during oral arguments?

also surprised

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

He’s started speaking during arguments ever since they went online. I’m guessing it’s because whatever “look ‘em in the eye” poker player technique he was previously using doesn’t work over zoom.

ah cheers, i wasn’t aware of this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i didn’t know they were still together

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my elementary school principal had a giant paddle hanging on the wall in his office but i never saw it used; not sure if he still did or if it was threat only.

my favourite gently caress off time in that school was in first grade; i got so frustrated listening to kids try to read (i'd been reading forever by then) my teacher just gave up and sent me to the library where i was supposed to read

instead i got an hour every day to sit on the computer and play bugs bunny hare-brained adventure

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/the-bugs-bunny-hare-brained-adventure-ue/play-ue

Jonny 290 posted:

i'd go to ten Gatherings before i went to one Burning Man, even if you paid my tickets for all of them

but how many gooncamps

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

we're into a fourth chord showing up? sorry ilu

god drat harsh but fair.

i listened to a lot of bad religion and i can’t believe they’re still playing (getting slower and slower)

unrelated the one song i specifically can’t stand is hotel california because of how loving often it used to get played

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t particularly like tool that much but it has no bearing on whether i consider them good. i don’t understand why people can’t not like something without also feeling the need to suggest that it also means it’s terrible.

i hate carrots but i don’t think the carrot is inherently bad, lots of people sure do seem to like them. of course the inverse of this is rick and lorry.

Kazinsal posted:

my high school had more than one teacher get fired for molesting

they weren't even creepy old dudes either

i was always suspicious of this one sub we had in eighth grade. my math teacher had a bunch of tangram puzzles you could play with for points when you were done with work. we had a sub one day who saw one of the pieces on the floor underneath a table (we all sat around like six-seater tables in the classroom) and came over to this kid named ryan. he puts his hand on ryan’s shoulder then starts scratching the back of his head with his other hand casually as he goes, “why don’t you pick up that piece of puzzle for me, bird dogger.”

we were all super weirded out by the whole thing; i mean it’s still stuck in my memory today

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

yes, President Beep will.

beep beep
beep beep
the pres goes
beep beep beep

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

how am I going to get more than 3 likes if I don’t post my tweets everywhere

cash money honey

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

obama hasn't said a loving thing for the past four years but just randomly decided to come out of the woodwork to do the bernie ratfuck consolidation, and also kill the NBA strike, which could have been one of the huge tipping points in favor of a general strike - and if that would have happened you'd have your loving $1200 a month and also we'd have like 50k fewer covid deaths. Then he retreated back into his weird mansion with a refrain of "pull your saggy pants up and stop listening to that rap - listen to my podcast instead"

don't forget his book which imo seems to paint him as just a terrible politics bro

a brobama if you will

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

i promise to do better.

it's all about bootstraps

first, bend over,

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don't think it's actually going to have an effect in a meaningful sense but gently caress if i don't hope it does

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i really wonder how many of those over the top posts are liberals doing role playing. i legit think it's a notably non-zero number, though probably not like a major percentage of the whole

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bump_fn posted:

all white people look the same it’s not racist it’s just science

i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ios 14 gives explicit notifications when any app pastes from the keyboard and i can't remember which app it was but i opened it once and it auto pasted the clipboard and i immediately uninstalled it