Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

skip to 1:30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Crave Burger

is an actual local chain with real locations in the twin cities which probably helps throw up enough chaff in search results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

the descriptive words for folks of latin american origin in spanish are latino and latina because spanish is a gendered language

latinx respects the gender-like suffix while removing the gendering itself

iirc spanish also has no way of expressing a person of latin american origin who is non-binary so latinx does that as well

most Spanish speakers don’t seem to care much because gendered languages do things like have everyone’s hands be male and their head be female

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sniep posted:

nothing can top the ultimate office microwave lunch meal when you're poor, the $0.99 Michelinas Fettuccine Alfredo with the little black pepper flecks in it

the broccoli and “chicken” variety has more protein for the same price

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I seem to remember eating the penne with chicken one a lot as a teenager

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats how you fight any fire large enough to be a firestorm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

trump's non wall policies are completely random so he sometimes did good things by pure chance

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

for england, james?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was at a LAN party when it was announced. everyone cheered when i broke the news and a huge weight was lifted in general

i have so many questions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I go to the Ren Fair here in September for kitsch value and it's fun to tell my wife that all the obese ladies in bodices are gonna be loving the guys who do the knight show as soon as the customers all leave.

how is that not obvious?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My wife works at a large law firm and the number of 'retired' lawyers in their seventies or older who insist on going in to work on something anyway is boggling, and they insist on having support staff during a pandemic.

i did a undergrad research work with a lab that worked with a geriatric neurologist over in the med school. he missed a meeting once because he was testifying (or something) that a state circuit judge was no longer mentally competent

except apparently judges aren’t actually ever forcefully removed. the actual way it works is you convince whatever state Supreme Court justice is best friends with the judge and they sit down with them until they agree to resign

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casual Encountess posted:

I have a really complicated relationship with the boston police. I am very much ACAB and ive been harassed/detained as a minority and queer a ton of times. However, I have a summer job I do where I ride a pedicab (bike rickshaw thing) around fenway park, where there is literally hundreds of cops. And while theres sometimes assholes, almost every single cop working a Red Sox game is cordial, even super nice to me and other pedicabbers and its a really loving surreal and strange feeling. I think about this often, because in literally any other context, a cop coming up and trying to small talk me is the scariest loving thing in the world, but since BPD has bigger problems than harassing minorities at a Sox game, they seem to almost be humans.

i don't really know how wearing a hot dog costume gets me more respect from cops but its the kind of thing that keeps me up at night. this has also worked in reverse, where a cop who is about to Harass A Minority is like "hey arent you that hot dog bike guy" and I can help defuse things.

cops at a ball game are “off the clock” despite being in uniform. they’re being paid by the stadium and harassing your employer’s vendors is bad for business

they don’t quite see it like that though, cop training is all about “good guys” and “bad guys”. you’re in the “good guy” category by being a vendor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

how much Steelers apparel was he wearing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

None, he was a 40-something guy in a puffer coat driving a Subaru sedan

never trust someone that drives a Subaru sedan

...not that I’d decline a wrx so long as it doesn’t have a wing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Why do people drive Subarus in Seattle? It doesn't snow there

they like to pretend they’ll be heading up into the mountains

and it does occasionally snow in Seattle and every car on the road crashes somehow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Yesterday there was an argument in the Reddit relationships thread in GBS about whether it's fair to call a woman who is 4 ft 10 and 200 lb obese, because even though her BMI is 41 and a healthy value is under 25, BMI is a flawed measure only designed for population studies so you can't infer anything from that number, and you don't know anything about her, she might simply be built like the incredible hulk

it’s gbs, that’s just the laziest troll in the book

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

checking in from Minnesota where it was last above freezing early on Christmas Eve

it’s supposed to get above freezing on Monday though that will be a great mess

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

true, i don't hear it from the chinese exchange students. the british, irish and italian students seem the most put out

my dad said the advice he got in the 70s when he visited Belfast was just “stay away from flags”

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 1, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bump_fn posted:

cosmic brain meme

he’s basically saying that metro had no idea the capitol police would not do their job

MPD can’t operate on the grounds of the capitol, or White House or all the other agencies, they all have their own separate police forces

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

once the fbi figures out how to not have to arrest hundreds of their own agents they'll get right on dismantling all these super obvious networks everyone's been yelling at them about since the 90s

they're experts at that, lefty groups in the 90s were like 50% federal agent in membership

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i see AOC's tweets and others and im thinking, like, if i was a politician at this point i'd be tweeting like "fight me fucker, room 202 right now u coward" at hawley et al

fun fact I’m 95% sure of: if McConnell did this he’d lose his Kentucky state pension

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the only reason to not impeach would be if the entire government is actually reporting to pence right now and ignoring Trump
it may be true

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I learned that from Veep :eng101:

has the president called?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ADINSX posted:

I'm amazed they only fired one shot. 32 shots were fired in the shooting where Breonna Taylor died and they didn't even hit the guy they were "aiming" at.

while secret service and capitol police bodyguards are “cops” they don’t really have much to do with “normal” cops.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if only someone had written a song about it 30 years ago

Jesus Christ 1991 was 30 years ago

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

there were actually surprisingly few deaths during the riots over the summer. just a handful, and only one or two actually murdered by cops (Louisville restaurant owner and someone else I think)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i was thinking of cop related deaths, yeah there were a few more related to boogaloos and such

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

I’d think that secret service isn’t going to take any chances with them for the inauguration. anyone trying anything there can expect to get instantly wrecked

i have some bad news about some of those that work forces

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Watch the videos, not all the cops participated but a bunch just let the rioters in.

The coup failed because Ralph Northam offered to deploy the VA NG after Trump refused to deploy the DC NG. That's it.

They're learned from this and they aren't going to make mistakes next time.

secret service or the sgt at arms who were in suits and actually drawing and using guns followed by the FBI HRT probably had more to do with that, the NG can’t mobilize that fast

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm convinced that pence is still the shadow president even now

the 25th doesn’t actually have a requirement that the actions are public. pelosi’s discussions with the military could’ve been “I have a letter from pence that will go public if trump does anything stupid”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

We don't have a president right now. If something happened that required action there would just be a cluster gently caress of phone calls between people don't have enough authority to do anything. It would be exactly the same as trying to get the national guard activated in DC.

pence approved that eventually. I think pence because of that would just become de facto president even if all the i’s aren’t dotted and t’s aren’t crossed

now, I suspect what he overrides would result in nothing happening but that’s probably preferable given the circumstances

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

odds on him being Biden’s fbi director?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's as much about flat earth as 17776 was about football

next thing you’ll tell me the Tim Tebow CFL chronicles do not accurately represent Canada or the CFL

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

What I can't find a source for but remember reading is that neither the capital police, nor the executive requested a major presence from the metro police department.

I look forward to hearing what the chief of the capital police was told about the rally from the executive branch. We've seen some rear end covering with the "FBI offered help after the fact, and the guard was offered before" - but we do know the guard would not have been issued magazines and may have only been given non-law enforcement support roles (deploying and moving barricades and directing traffic).

the us capitol police reports to the architect of the capitol who was appointed by trump last year :thunk:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

technically the board consists of the architect of the capitol and the sergeants at arms of the house and senate, but the architect is in charge of the complex as an entirety.

this board supposedly reports to Congress but somehow I doubt a 2020 trump appointee cares about something like that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

I’ve never met anyone who likes to talk about their guns who wasn’t also a huge moron who probably shouldn’t have access to guns.

i briefly worked for an anesthesiologist that basically had an antique fire arms museum in his basement

it seemed pretty benign but who knows

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

it depends if the antiques were goofy flintlocks or "gosh, every gun in your collection is german and from 1937-1945"

luger dorks are sus

lot of flintlocks but some WWII guns

my grandfather died while I was working for that doctor and my mom discovered that grandpa had war trophies hidden away including Japanese officer’s pistols which the doctor did know a lot about :thunk:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

i got a gin and tonic from an airport bar in denver and it was $18. i said wtf and the bartender just shrugged at me because of course he's heard that a million times

airport bars are for expense accounts only

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McDonald’s post security is a bad example they’re only like $1 more expensive for a meal, they’re always packed with airline employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

the real business travelers are in the lounges where you only have to tip

they all charge for anything but beer on tap now