Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

A certain online democrat that only exists in the imaginations of chuds, I'd say.

there’s actually a lot out there that got mad

many even had “gently caress trump” in their Twitter history!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

is there a mechanism for this? srs question

you let insurance companies not cover it under the ACA and they'll all drop coverage because covid care is really expensive

it seems like it'd be kinda moot because the estate of anyone with covid is going to have 0 value so the hospital isn't going to recover any of the million dollars that a month long ICU stay can be. those that survive will declare bankruptcy and be disabled

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stereotype posted:

survivorship bias is a hell of a thing, just because there aren’t any recorded extinction level viruses in humans doesn’t mean there can’t be one at some point. it has happened in other species.

the toba catastrophe reduced the (anatomically modern) human population to as few as 3000 individuals. even 99.99% of all humans dying wouldn't necessarily cause an extinction.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

yep thats what they did here

hmm, i wonder why covid zero works in china :iiam:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

it seem bad to have the executive call together heads of industry to tell them that he doesn't like existing law and they should just ignore and that he will use state power to protect them if they do/punish them if they don't

if the drafters of the constitution didn't want to allow the president to do this they wouldn't have put in the pardon power

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RokosCockatrice posted:

what do they do with the turkeys that were pardoned

do they just live out their genetic mishap lives with weird health issues

we already do that with pugs and its atrocious

i was going to make the joke that they go to a farm "upstate" (mount vernon) but apparently they go to a lot of different places

quote:

For many years the turkeys were sent to Frying Pan Farm Park in Fairfax County, Virginia. From 2005 to 2009, the pardoned turkeys were sent to either the Disneyland Resort in California or the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, where they served as the honorary grand marshals of Disney's Thanksgiving Day Parade. In 2010, 2011 and 2012,[15] the turkeys were sent to live at Mount Vernon, the estate and home of George Washington; Mount Vernon stopped displaying and accepting the turkeys due to the fact that they violated the estate's policy of maintaining its own historical accuracy (Washington never farmed turkeys). The 2013, 2014 and 2015 turkeys were sent to Morven Park in Leesburg, Virginia, the estate of former Virginia governor (and prolific turkey farmer) Westmoreland Davis.[16] Virginia Tech has housed the turkeys from 2016 to 2019;[17] Virginia Tech was chosen because of the college's poultry science program, and the National Turkey Federation wanted to begin a tradition of cooperation between the turkey industry and universities.[18] After four successful years at Virginia Tech, the alma mater of the chairman of the NTF at the time, the federation chose to begin housing the turkeys at universities closer to the turkeys' home towns.[19] The 2020 turkeys were sent to be housed at Iowa State University[20] and the 2021 turkeys are bound for Purdue University.[21]
Broad Breasted White turkeys are bred for large size, are sedentary animals and have a predilection for overeating,[25] making them prone to health problems associated with obesity such as heart disease, respiratory failure, joint damage and reduced life spans compared to wild or heritage turkeys. For many years, the pardoned turkeys were documented to have very short lives after their pardoning, frequently dying within a year of being pardoned;[16][26] for comparison, heritage turkey breeds have lifespans on par with those of wild turkeys, at least five years.[27] The lifespans of the pardoned turkeys have steadily improved in recent years, frequently having lifespans of over two years and occasionally reaching three years of age, an improvement attributed to better choices of homes after the pardons; rather than serving solely as tourist attractions, the turkeys are now placed in the care of experts who make conscious efforts to maintain the turkeys' health for as long as possible.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 29, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol if part of this trial is throwing prince andrew under the bus right as his mother dies

based on sporadically listening to the true anon daily recaps the trial was about detailed descriptions of mansions and booking charter flights

edit: https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1476323413782417417

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it'll look like that student loan memo after redaction

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

. "It's been absorbed into LTE" lmao.

more like the core of 5g is an iterative improvement of lte, at least on the UE side. the 5g core should be a massive improvement over lte epc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anyway, this is what a trusted court reporter looks like

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1475529112005615618

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1475541009727696903

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

one cool thing about 5g is that one of the frequency bands they're using bumps up against the lower end of the range used by airplane ILS radio altimeters, and studies have demonstrated that a plane flying directly over a tower on final approach can experience errors of up to 200 feet in its reported altitude.

it's great!

the aviation community should spend money on non garbage (and FCC compliance - the spurious emission standards haven't changed!) band pass filters

from https://www.rtca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Slides-5G-Interference-Risk-to-Radar-Altimeters.pdf

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a 200mhz guard band and boeing can't handle it!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

what does grifting mean in this context? earning money from?

that depends on if you believe podcasting is labor
chapo is $165k/month on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/chapotraphouse/posts
true anon is $90k/month: https://www.patreon.com/TrueAnonPod/posts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

200 feet doesn’t seem that bad. aren’t you guys flying at like 30,000 feet? that’s like 99% accurate

the radar altimeter is how you tell how close you are to the ground when landing, its a bit of a problem if the weather is bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you don't like the podcast, yes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Thanks for highlighting you don't know anything about aviation, either. Did you get this knowledge from some podcast as well? True Aviation, maybe?

It's when you make easy money by producing low-effort garbage for idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlr2ZMTc52E

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

if you're so high up you cant even see the ground i think it's pretty safe to assume you're more than 200 feet up or whatever the error range was

slow day in the speaker mines?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They've got three cops last I checked and they're the dumbest fuckers I went to school with.

Per capita income is $19k, there's no tax base there whatsoever, the walmart that got built just outside of town put the nail in that coffin in the nineties.

https://www.cc.com/video/6deoft/tosh-0-s-thole-of-the-week

The town is an absolute disaster

i assume this is Pennsylvania too so they can't use the classic ohio trick of funding the town entirely via speeding tickets. (yes i know other states are infamous for that too, but ohio was a whole other level, PA presumably was too until they restricted radar to the highway patrol only)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/KaraAlissa88/status/1479498034203529226

lol this is completely indistinguishable from flyover state biker cosplayers saying they aren't worried about dying from covid because it only kills weak people

high blood pressure (including pre hypertension), overweight (bmi >25), high cholesterol and and something like say asthma or maybe something psychiatric covers what percentage of Americans?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the nypd has not shown themselves to be above kidnapping the mayor’s daughter so this is a smart move

Eric Adams is nypd

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

its green party, sadly

psl exists i guess

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i prefer the nitro cold brew party myself though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

are they taking govt money to administer the tests, or is it some crazy right wing “covid is fake news “ thing?

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1480971644776509440

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also the ceo runs an axe throwing bar

now, axe throwing is fun but...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

idk might be a tougher sell for corporate events

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

go to r/wallstreetbets if you want to see more ridiculous losses from stupid gambles

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Biden has the best foreign policy of any president in my lifetime, of course the majority of America won't like him.

Anyways, I have a feeling this RNC move is a big handout to Fox News and OANN, who can now host their own presidential campaign events.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1481665661139140616?s=20

reading between the lines in the actual article and not the headline makes the move seem like a negotiating tactic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clears throat

madam secretary, your monitor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bring back spicer, I’m pretty sure that his term as press secretary was some sort of cosmic punishment for prior sins

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

veep couldn’t have written a better bit than the “holocaust centers” thing, really incredible stuff.

speaking of which, Kamala has incredible Selena Meyer energy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

not to import cspam, but the Democrat Party is going to be sent to the loving shadow realm in November.

Biden said we needed a strong Republican Party

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

https://twitter.com/ParikPatelCFA/status/1484592086196359171?s=20

lol she's gonna pull up the ladder behind her right at the end

we should just have ETFs that mirror each congressperson’s trades since they’re public. we can all argue about which congressperson to invest in!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s RNs and radiology techs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it is though, employment is at will and they didn’t counter.

helicopter rides to Madison I guess for everyone with strokes because the staff are blocked from working at both hospitals right now!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if it’s such a critical public service maybe it shouldn’t be up to the whims of the free market

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they should all find travel agencies to work for. Maybe a hospital in Milwaukee will treat them like human beings

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He's off smugly alienating people in new and exciting places

he is a college professor so a sabbatical would make sense

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

The afternoon sun angled through a tear in the tent. Ma Bao-Zhi grunted, then shifted his face towards the shade and screwed up his eyes. In the absence of light, the retinal burns from his always-on pupil-tracking HUD-halo danced before his field of vision. He sat up and stretched. It was a new day.

i never realized this was actually originally from this forum

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its a ton of different failures:
staffing is probably a problem, but mostly because doctors dont want to work at night.
apathy towards narcotics cases
lack of continuity of care cause of lazy charting
complete lack of process. given his intake, the EHR should have forced someone to check on him regularly
medical devices are a complete racket and their regulation is incompetent. Theres no reason he shouldnt have had a remote monitor that would have alerted them even if hes on a gurney in the hallway.

and it just goes on. hospitals are terrible places that are poorly run

negligence leading to failures in care happen all the loving time, but usually its not so blatant. its more common that they just fail to test for things because they dont believe it could be the problem and then the failure to test results in delayed care and death. in that case the doc just shrugs and says "oh well, we never could have known because we didnt test!". Left him to die in the hallway is a little harder to get away with.

I was reading about this on the nursing subreddit and there was a surprising amount of anger at the guy’s mother and his drug use. however, this part is just baffling:

quote:

Miller arrived at Yale-New Haven by ambulance at 7:13 p.m., according to the lawsuit. Yale-New Haven medical personnel placed Miller on a stretcher and positioned the stretcher in an “ambulance bay” at the emergency department.

Between 7:15 p.m. on May 10 through 1:56 a.m. on May 11, Miller received no medical attention, the suit states.

Security video later obtained by the family shows that at some point Miller got up from the stretcher to use the bathroom and later to get a snack from the vending machine. It also shows Miller communicating with his mother by cellphone.

Later in the security video, Miller appears to fall asleep and multiple Yale-New Haven emergency personnel walk by him but don’t check on him, the suit states that the video shows.

At 1:56 a.m., a nurse checks on Miller for the first time in seven hours. At this point, the suit states, he is without a pulse, his skin is a blue-gray color and his pupils are fixed and dilated.

was he never triaged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

i was stopped at a light once and some high school kid was crossing the street when this lady drove up into the lane next to me full speed in her SUV and blasted him across the asphalt. he must have still been young enough to have plasticky bones because he just got up, shook himself off and kept walking. us other drivers yelled at him to stop to see if he's ok and get her information. meanwhile the lady was claiming that she didn't see him or whatever. the fact there was a red light apparently wasn't a factor. she was going to leave immediately but i guess we shamed her into staying long enough to make sure that she didn't just kill someone and take a little responsibility

I saw a very near miss in this exact scenario once with a couple kids and parents…

that were holding one of these banners:

a pair of unmarked cars immediately turned on their lights and siren, the suv driver didn’t pull over for 2 full lights. (the charger in the picture is in the spot but I’ve never seen SPPD use chargers)

I just sat there baffled.