Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if trump wins / steals the election, the us is probably done as a country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

also amy barrett, the conservative catholic trump is expected to nominate, was in an ultra conservative group, People of Praise, that officially referred to women in leadership positions as handmaids up until a few years ago

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3102659/us-supreme-court-battle-why-people-are-talking

probably nothing? maybe nothing? but still

his pick this time is likely to be scarier than kavanaugh

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

he's absolutely dead as poo poo

my FIL had a couple of aneurysms before he died and neither was remotely as stronk as that

https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1309567134222233601

seems ok so far

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

you ever seen rain man well that's what that man's brain's operational level is at right now

he's done

so about the same then

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

oh goodness yes, medical experimentation on the president of the united states of america.

just when you think it can't possibly get any wilder than this, it does.

that's a big part of what killed pres garfield after he was shot, doctors experimenting on him - specifically probing the wound with their dirty fingers for months. that and not understanding the germ theory of disease, but trump doesn't understand that either

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i forgot that bathroom had the layer of piss pebbles in a moat around the tub. bet they're super gross by now

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

this is the strangest poo poo I"ve ever seen in my life

did you eat something unusual?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ADINSX posted:

If I recall fivethirtyeight was the only polling site that gave Trump a chance in hell in 2016, getting up to 30% or so right before election day. I also remember they identified a potential source of error was the polling error in the too-close-to-call swing states might be systemic (i.e they all under-represented trump vs some go one way some go the other).

yep. there are definite issues w/ 538 as a platform overall, but their elections predictions are usually reliable, since it's a weighted meta analysis of pollsters. in 2008 they called every state in the pres election correctly except for indiana, which was quite close

another thing that is important to remember is that, even if the polls show just a 5% chance of winning, that's still 1 in 20 and it can still happen. i have the least faith in the polls this time that i've ever had though, there's a ton of electoral manipulation going on

e: i was mistaken and they got indiana wrong in '08

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 14, 2020

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

looks like he skipped leg day forever

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i mean i assume most yosposters already consider the east and west coast different countries already. i don’t see why we couldn’t go our own way but remain bros

i think this is fairly true, though? if you're trans and like weed or whatever, you're probably not going to tuskaloosa alabama. the coasts and places like colorado are unambiguously better places to be and living there is pretty different

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's weird that several countries in the eu have higher rates of infection per capita than the us right now. they may not catch up w/ the us on deaths though, as we never locked down so we didn't have a lull between waves

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

yep. just for sake of reference later, here are the countries in europe above the us in infection rates (us is ~115 /100k) right now, per nyt data

e: just for clarity, this is cases over the past week

Andorra
Czech Republic
Belgium
Netherlands
Montenegro
France
Luxembourg
U.K.
Iceland (i'm counting iceland because french tourists were the primary cause of their caseload)
Spain
Slovakia
Slovenia
Switzerland
Malta
Ireland
Liechtenstein
Romania
North Macedonia

by the looks of it, europe has one of the worst outbreaks in the world at the moment. can't wait 'till christmas!

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 16, 2020

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

No Italy, huh? I thought they were spiking a week or two ago.

italy is at about 70 per 100k over the last week. data is here

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if you mean the nyt map, it's in the lower right?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

President Beep posted:

what about pittsburg, kansas?

they have a few good chicken restaurants. i mean it's still kansas but you could do worse

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think i may watch the lech vs lech debate spectacle this evening. is this self harm?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i'm not sure i'll even be able to stand five minutes. whatever else obama was, he's a good speaker and i miss having articulate people like him or sanders discuss things

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i made it about 20 seconds into his reply, gently caress that. i'll read the comedian's recap tomorrow

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i just realized this debate is on my account's 10 year anniversary :toot:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bump_fn posted:

didn’t the states republicans already get like ten thousand ballots from houston tossed

texas won’t go blue lol

yes, it's still in process. except it's 100k votes and a notoriously conservative judge is hearing the case

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1322602843661021184

i voted early, third party in a state biden will carry no matter what. went with gloria la riva, i like her platform mostly

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

i'm a canadian so i don't really know these things, but don't a lot of states have down ballot stuff that actually matters to your community? like, electing a sherif or state ordenances, that kind of thing? such that even if you're not looking to make sophie's choice re: the president, some of the things you can vote on may actually matter?

typically they do, though ballots and local elections vary considerably depending on where you are. i spent the most time on my ballot looking up local candidates and deciding which one(s) i thought would do the best job. refreshingly, where i'm at is still doing fairly well, and most of those choices were between better and best, not which would be less terrible. for example we get to vote on justices of the peace who do weddings and small claims court, and i had several dozen pretty good choices for 15 votes. which was nice

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

wendy davis' filibuster on the texas statehouse floor was fabulous

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

biden will still make things worse, just not quite so quickly. the dems winning is a necessary condition to getting on the path to a functioning nation, but not a sufficient one or cause for complacency. it's an opportunity to breathe a sigh of relief that there will be respite from current conditions if we really work at it on an ongoing basis

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

biden's fracking defense was one of the more disturbing points during the debate. oh my god i fuckin' love fracking, my family has cancer from dupont and we love it i just love oil and gas, give me more

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think trump is and would be significantly worse for average americans than biden, especially for minorities; the masses have fared better under dem presidents. i didn't vote for biden because i'm against hiring someone to help rebuild a house they helped burn down, and his policies are also not good (though better than trump of course), even setting aside all of his other detriments. probably would have in a swing state however, but i'd have been upset at that being the choice

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's a messed up choice though. so long as the gop continues to pursue policy that's so terrible, the dems are going to feel like they can just do whatever they want and we have to accept it, because the alternative is fascists and déclassé nazis

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

President Beep posted:

serious and non-malicious question for the folks not voting biden: would another dem nominee, further to left but still in the democratic mainstream, be more palatable?

i would have voted for several of the other potential dem nominees, yes. my primary issues with biden are that he has a long track record of helping get us to the point where we ended up with trump, he's not as sharp as he used to be, plus he's gross. i wouldn't have voted for buttigieg or some of the others for similar reasons. i'm curious to see though, if he's elected will rona be less bad, would he actually lead on it? will the gop refuse additional stimulus out of spite?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

RvW will not be overturned. What you will see is 47/50 states effectively banning abortion and then you'll have to go to CT, NY or CA to get one, which is only available to rich people. And then they'll start enforcing the Mann Act to shut down anybody who's not a billionaire who wants to get their teen daughter an abortion with a quiet private plane flight and two weeks 'covid isolation' recovery time from their private school.

we actually just wrote abortion into our state constitution recently so they can't mess with it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

bernie sold, i dont know why, but he's done. it's so sad

i dont listen to him any more

it's simple - he's friends with the bidens and wants a cabinet position. i don't agree with it but it's not difficult to understand

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

she also has that amazing throwback mid atlantic accent and ngl her speeches would have been fuckin' beautiful. I realize this is 100% aesthetics and 0% substance but, i mean, we're now down to picking which candidate has the less objectionable speech impediment

* as a person who has a stutter so hard that my entire body of knowledge of social interaction is carved around Not Stuttering, joe biden does not have a "stutter". his brain is mashed loving potatoes, that's the problem.

i miss having an articulate president. obama was a disappointment in many ways, but i always enjoyed listening to him speak. it'd be so nice to have a pres who can at least speak in complete sentences, and perhaps occasionally throw in some nice vocab

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

I think he'd rather stay in the senate and keep his sweet sweet committee positions than wind up in a cabinet position can be ignored on a whim.

Bernie's definitely friends with Biden though and I think that plays into the endorsement. People in the senate not named Cruz really do get along with each other a lot. Hell, Bernie was friends with McCain for god's sake.

it was in the news that he's interested in sec of state

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

this is some serious "baby just learned about how the sausage is made" poo poo

single payer will never happen in this country because it will always be worth money and capital always wins

your posts always read as someone who is well off, detached from the real world and incredibly smug. i'd still like to hear more about your contempt for your employees but you never seemed to answer that

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bump_fn posted:

not much it’s estimated that 20% of covid deaths here were from the government wanting restaurants and offices to reopen so they wouldn’t have to pay furloughs anymore

it was up to £10 off though wasn't it, that's practically free!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it'll be nice to have a pres not shitposting bigotry and qanon junk on twitter. that part sounds refreshing

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

There are some dark times ahead and I suggest that everyone find a route to happiness within themselves, because you're not going to get much outside happiness for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVOZeT2W6Bo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

there was a tweet a while back that, in certain scenarios, biden could win the popular vote by 5% and still lose due to the electoral college skew

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i hope they don't bother giving him a library, he doesn't read

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

it would be so nice if twitter banned his account on january 21st

obviously they will not, but i can dream

i wouldn't put it past them. it'll be his personal account then, and if he breaks the rules there's no mandate to save it as a matter of record. deplatforming him would be cathartic

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Well it's finally here: in God's one true time zone, the big day has arrived.

That's right -- today is Dolph Lundgren's birthday!

Happy birthday, Dolph!

true dolph lundgren facts:

he was on his way to grad school at mit on a fulbright scholarship before he was spotted and got into acting, being spotted by a talent scout in sydney, australia right before he was to start

a few years ago, burglars broke into his home, saw a photo of him + wife on the dresser and ran the gently caress away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think i'm taking today off and doing my best to not pay attention to the election until this evening. maybe take a nice walk, do some comfort food cooking